PDA

View Full Version : Accident on 466a near the tunnel that goes to Colony Dr.

NotGolfer
02-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know what happened around noon today? LOTS of emergency vehicles on 466a near the tunnel that goes under the highway. MMP is blocked off so no cart traffic can go under it as well, at Colony Dr.

KathieI
02-20-2016, 01:06 PM
I just received an alert from the Daily Sun on my cell phone that says:
"Traffic crash at CR 466A & Heald Way involving at least 1 fatality. traffic delays in area near Colony Plaza possible."

Not sure this is the same incident you mentioned, but thought I'd share what I received.

MikeV
02-20-2016, 01:24 PM
I just received an alert from the Daily Sun on my cell phone that says:
"Traffic crash at CR 466A & Heald Way involving at least 1 fatality. traffic delays in area near Colony Plaza possible."

Not sure this is the same incident you mentioned, but thought I'd share what I received.

I got the same alert from the Daily Sun App. Since it says Heald Way it could be a someone turned in from of oncoming traffic while turning into Colony Plaza or someone coming out of the Professional Plaza.

debow
02-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Here's some. detail.
http://www.**************.com/?utm_source=103113&utm_campaign=103013&utm_medium=email

Walter123
02-20-2016, 01:42 PM
I guess I can't say Colony is an accident waiting to happen. I was over there yesterday and was reminded of why I stay away during the snowbird season. The cars waiting at the stop sign felt that they waited long enough and started cutting off golf carts. What a terrible area. Whatever the reason for the crash, my heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
02-20-2016, 01:52 PM
The man driving the SUV had a medical episode and the SUV jumped the curb and struck the golf cart which was on the golf cart path.

Sometimes things are simply unavoidable and just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Unless of course someone wants to suggest that we erect barriers that would stop trucks all along every MM path in The Villages.

NotGolfer
02-20-2016, 02:06 PM
The "other news source" had an article that the man in the SUV had a medical event crossing over and hitting a golf cart with 3 people on it. No details as to what happened with the people in that article but it was bad nontheless.
Prayers for all who were involved or will be getting a call we'd all dread!!

asianthree
02-20-2016, 02:43 PM
The "other news source" had an article that the man in the SUV had a medical event crossing over and hitting a golf cart with 3 people on it. No details as to what happened with the people in that article but it was bad nontheless.
Prayers for all who were involved or will be getting a call we'd all dread!!

Thanks for update

NotGolfer
02-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Now there's 2 different threads on TOTV re: this incident. Hoping/praying for those all who are affected by this...the victims, their families and their friends! It will impact them all forever, I'm sure.

blyarbrough
02-21-2016, 03:11 PM
HERE A COPY OF MY STATEMENT......I WAS JUST INSIDE THE TUNNEL ON SAT. SUNDAY PAPER WAS NOT 100% CORRECT. THIS WAS MY VIEW FROM JUST INSIDE THE TUNNEL.

I wittiness an accident at the gold cart tunnel opening over 466A across from Colony Recreation center. I was stopped about to exit the tunnel when I heard a loud crash and then saw an SUV, Gray I believe, pushing a broken up golf cart, down the golf cart trail that I was about to enter, approximately 20 to 30 feet in front of me. The SUV continued on until it hit some small trees and shrubbery at the edge of the golf cart trail, about 40 to 50 feet in front of me. As I observed the golf cart directly in front of me, approximately 20 to 30 feet, and the golf cart at that time had one person inside the golf cart, who was thrown out as the Golf Cart as it turned over, came apart and was almost on top of the person. As I started to cross the trail to render aid I noticed another person lying in the center of the Golf Cart trail approximately 100 feet up the hill from me. I was unsure who to run to first; another man came running up behind me and I told him to call 911 (I did not have a cell phone), and go up the hill to check on that person as I went to the guy asking for help under the debris……also the 2 people in the SUV were crying and shouting for assistance. A moment or two late another man can over to assist and he went to the person under the debris and tried to pull the golf cart off the person under the debris. I checked the two people in the SUV and they said they were ok but the woman told me “he just blacked out” referring to the man driving the SUV…..I ask if they we hurt in any way and/or were bleeding…She said no; the man was awake but not talking, he looked dazed. About that time I went to the other guy who was trying to pull the Golf cart of the person laying under the cart and debris……before I could reach him the cart fell back over trapping his foot under the tire of the cart…..he ask for help and I tried my best to raise the cart of his foot but could not lift it……by then other golfers from the course we coming to assist. They lifter the cart of the man’s foot and I went to the person under the roof of the Golf cart; some other person helped me remove the debris from atop the person. The man was moaning and responsive and bleeding from the head and ear on his right side. He said he could not breath very well and wanted up…..I suggested he lie still and wait for the Paramedics (I could already here the siren at this time), the man continued to struggle a bit an others help try to persuade him to lie still. About a few moments later the Paramedics were there and took charge of the incident. I briefly spoke with a Sumter county deputy and offered a statement, he said for everyone to back away and he had lots to do …..I understood and departed the area. After arriving home I phoned the police and reported my name and phone number just encase they needed my statement.

I did not see the SUV initially enter the Golf Cart trail but could not believe this vehicle was flying down the golf cart trail……..it must have been 50 to 75 feet from 466A. Also, I never saw the other person who was apparently in the golf cart with the man fall out.

graciegirl
02-21-2016, 03:32 PM
HERE A COPY OF MY STATEMENT......I WAS JUST INSIDE THE TUNNEL ON SAT. SUNDAY PAPER WAS NOT 100% CORRECT. THIS WAS MY VIEW FROM JUST INSIDE THE TUNNEL.

I wittiness an accident at the gold cart tunnel opening over 466A across from Colony Recreation center. I was stopped about to exit the tunnel when I heard a loud crash and then saw an SUV, Gray I believe, pushing a broken up golf cart, down the golf cart trail that I was about to enter, approximately 20 to 30 feet in front of me. The SUV continued on until it hit some small trees and shrubbery at the edge of the golf cart trail, about 40 to 50 feet in front of me. As I observed the golf cart directly in front of me, approximately 20 to 30 feet, and the golf cart at that time had one person inside the golf cart, who was thrown out as the Golf Cart as it turned over, came apart and was almost on top of the person. As I started to cross the trail to render aid I noticed another person lying in the center of the Golf Cart trail approximately 100 feet up the hill from me. I was unsure who to run to first; another man came running up behind me and I told him to call 911 (I did not have a cell phone), and go up the hill to check on that person as I went to the guy asking for help under the debris……also the 2 people in the SUV were crying and shouting for assistance. A moment or two late another man can over to assist and he went to the person under the debris and tried to pull the golf cart off the person under the debris. I checked the two people in the SUV and they said they were ok but the woman told me “he just blacked out” referring to the man driving the SUV…..I ask if they we hurt in any way and/or were bleeding…She said no; the man was awake but not talking, he looked dazed. About that time I went to the other guy who was trying to pull the Golf cart of the person laying under the cart and debris……before I could reach him the cart fell back over trapping his foot under the tire of the cart…..he ask for help and I tried my best to raise the cart of his foot but could not lift it……by then other golfers from the course we coming to assist. They lifter the cart of the man’s foot and I went to the person under the roof of the Golf cart; some other person helped me remove the debris from atop the person. The man was moaning and responsive and bleeding from the head and ear on his right side. He said he could not breath very well and wanted up…..I suggested he lie still and wait for the Paramedics (I could already here the siren at this time), the man continued to struggle a bit an others help try to persuade him to lie still. About a few moments later the Paramedics were there and took charge of the incident. I briefly spoke with a Sumter county deputy and offered a statement, he said for everyone to back away and he had lots to do …..I understood and departed the area. After arriving home I phoned the police and reported my name and phone number just encase they needed my statement.

I did not see the SUV initially enter the Golf Cart trail but could not believe this vehicle was flying down the golf cart trail……..it must have been 50 to 75 feet from 466A. Also, I never saw the other person who was apparently in the golf cart with the man fall out.

Sad, scary and awful for everyone involved including you Blyarbrough. Prayers for all involved and all who tried to help and first response folks too.

Gulfhills
02-21-2016, 06:35 PM
There's an article about this in the Orlando Sentinel. Sadly, 2 people are dead.
Here's the link......Two dead in The Villages after SUV driver loses consciousness, hits two golf carts - Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-villages-golf-cart-fatal-crash-20160221-story.html)

Chi-Town
02-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Sad news indeed.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
02-21-2016, 08:07 PM
There's an article about this in the Orlando Sentinel. Sadly, 2 people are dead.
Here's the link......Two dead in The Villages after SUV driver loses consciousness, hits two golf carts - Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-villages-golf-cart-fatal-crash-20160221-story.html)

I didn't know there was a passenger in the SUV. I find it odd that she didn't reach over and grab the wheel or take the car out of gear. But, who knows what any of us would do in a situation like that. Things like that happen very fast and sometimes we panic.

graciegirl
02-21-2016, 08:13 PM
I didn't know there was a passenger in the SUV. I find it odd that she didn't reach over and grab the wheel or take the car out of gear. But, who knows what any of us would do in a situation like that. Things like that happen very fast and sometimes we panic.

If someone was having a grand mal seizure that might explain the car speeding up. That crossed my mind, rather than just going unconscious.

simpkinp
02-21-2016, 09:55 PM
A sad night. Nancy Von was a former neighbor and a nice lady. Back when I thought I could golf, she was my partner several times, and often golfed with my friend Kathy next door. So sad. She was a pretty lady and full of fun. I'm sure the other lady was nice as well. You never know when your time is up. Another friend lost Another Nancy😪

bimmertl
02-21-2016, 10:21 PM

I find it "odd" that you know this didn't happen or that such an action would have averted the ultimate outcome. It's absurd to jump to such a conclusion and try to allege somebody in this tragic situation failed to do whatever was necessary to avoid the tragedy.

Your comments are pitiful.

hulahips
02-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Want to know what Caused driver to lose control?? Heart attack, stroke,etc would be published immediately. Overdose of drugs , even if prescription, may Not be published as to avoid the anger and fear of villagers. Imagine 58 yrs old, on drugs, killing villagers? I am Not saying this is what happened, but questioning the lack of information published makes U wonder. And the driver had passenger beside him. My prayers go out to the victims. They seemed like lovely ladies.

graciegirl
02-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Want to know what Caused driver to lose control?? Heart attack, stroke,etc would be published immediately. Overdose of drugs , even if prescription, may Not be published as to avoid the anger and fear of villagers. Imagine 58 yrs old, on drugs, killing villagers? I am Not saying this is what happened, but questioning the lack of information published makes U wonder. And the driver had passenger beside him. My prayers go out to the victims. They seemed like lovely ladies.

The sheriff's report said it was a medical episode.

The media can only report what they know and do report what they know. The media publish everything else with mugshots. I don't know why someone on drugs causing a fatal accident would be exempt.

I am not sure why you think "The Villages" was involved. They may have once owned the newspaper directly, and sold it to a friend, but Meta isn't owned by ANYONE. "They" publish just about everything that is public knowledge. Even suicides, which the paper does not publish.

The First Amendment is alive and well in The Villages.

All this discussion has turned away from the awful fact that two are dead and two people have injuries and I am sure are suffering.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
02-22-2016, 10:03 AM
I find it "odd" that you know this didn't happen or that such an action would have averted the ultimate outcome. It's absurd to jump to such a conclusion and try to allege somebody in this tragic situation failed to do whatever was necessary to avoid the tragedy.

You could be right. The passenger might have taken action that averted even more tragedy. I don't think I jumped to any conclusion. I believe that my comments left that as a possibility. There are any number of possibilities as to what may or may not have transpired.

Personal attacks like this however are what make some forums places that people don't want to visit.

golfing eagles
02-22-2016, 10:41 AM

You could be right. The passenger might have taken action that averted even more tragedy. I don't think I jumped to any conclusion. I believe that my comments left that as a possibility. There are any number of possibilities as to what may or may not have transpired.

Personal attacks like this however are what make some forums places that people don't want to visit.

You both can be right. A car travelling at 45 mph is going 72.5 feet/sec. If the driver had a SUDDEN loss of consciousness his SUV could jump the curb, cross the grass, and be on the MMP in less than 1 second. Nobody could react that quickly, not to mention the difficulty of actually getting control of a car from the passenger seat. Hence, no need for insults.

bimmertl
02-22-2016, 11:07 AM
You both can be right. A car travelling at 45 mph is going 72.5 feet/sec. If the driver had a SUDDEN loss of consciousness his SUV could jump the curb, cross the grass, and be on the MMP in less than 1 second. Nobody could react that quickly, not to mention the difficulty of actually getting control of a car from the passenger seat. Hence, no need for insults.

Spot on regarding control of the car from the passenger seat, especially when you consider the interior of an Escalade.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/14q2/586993/2015-cadillac-escalade-interior-photo-587006-s-986x603.jpg