PDA

View Full Version : Carl Hiaasen comes to Syracuse, NY

another Linda
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
He was the latest speaker at our author series. Had a packed house in stitches with his deadpan stories of Florida pulled from his favorite headlines. I've only read Skinny Dip but am motivated to read more.

Taltarzac
11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
He was the latest speaker at our author series. Had a packed house in stitches with his deadpan stories of Florida pulled from his favorite headlines. I've only read Skinny Dip but am motivated to read more.

I have read a few more of his books. Sometimes I wonder how he gets away with his stories about Florida while he also lives here. That's kind of like some TOTVers and their stories about TV while they live in TV except for the most part TOTVers are semi-anonymous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hiaasen

another Linda
11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
His story about the dangers of swimming with dolphins had me wiping the tears away -- and it made me change my mind about doing it!

Taltarzac
11-13-2008, 04:19 PM
His story about the dangers of swimming with dolphins had me wiping the tears away -- and it made me change my mind about doing it!

http://www.parlezmoipress.com/mermaid/2007/01/dolphin-tales.html

Boomer
Oh Linda,

I feel I must warn you that I am now insanely jealous of you.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman

And now, you have actually seen him in person. I have not.

As a tribute to one of my main men, Carl H., I must link here a thread from the book forum, last summer.

I don't know if it is against some board protocol or something to link an entire thread started by one's self, but I just have to do it. ...for Carl, you know.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman.........

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13598

Boomer

jojo
Which books would you most recommend related to Florida?

another Linda
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh Linda,

I feel I must warn you that I am now insanely jealous of you.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman

And now, you have actually seen him in person. I have not.

As a tribute to one of my main men, Carl H., I must link here a thread from the book forum, last summer.

I don't know if it is against some board protocol or something to link an entire thread started by one's self, but I just have to do it. ...for Carl, you know.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman.........

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13598

Boomer

Way ahead of you Boomer! Why do you think I read Skinny Dip? And JoJo, I think all his books relate to Florida. Don't they Boomer? Oh, and did I mention how cute he is?

(Aside: It feels good not to stray into Political.)

another Linda
11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.parlezmoipress.com/mermaid/2007/01/dolphin-tales.html

Yep, that was the story. Except he was hysterical telling it. Deadpan the whole time.

redwitch
11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Death by dolphin love? Okay, I gotta break down and read his books -- as soon as I get moved in, get through the stacks of books I have here to read and who knows what else, but he is definitely on my list of have to dos. Anyone that demented has to be good!

Boomer
11-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Way ahead of you Boomer! Why do you think I read Skinny Dip? And JoJo, I think all his books relate to Florida. Don't they Boomer? Oh, and did I mention how cute he is?

(Aside: It feels good not to stray into Political.)

Linda, you just gotta keep rubbin' it in, right?

And I had been feeling all sorry for you about how you got smacked around in political. (Been there. I was the smackee, too, not the smacker. I could have smacked back, but it just was not worth it. More fun to talk about other stuff.)

And yes, all of his books are set in Florida, around Miami I think.

And I am still insanely jealous of you.

Boomer

beady
11-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Love Carl Haissen...his character Skink is my favorite......a former governor turned recluse in the everglades.....he turns up in a couple of his books. Definately fun reads.:1rotfl:

graciegirl
11-14-2008, 04:38 AM
It is 4:36 in the morning as I read this and I am ready to jump into the red and white ostentatious used golf cart that is ours and drive up to Lake Sumter landing and wait for Barnes and Noble to open and spend some of whats left of our retirement fund on a book written by this man.

This may be another section that I avoid after political.

Boomer? YOU were the smacker????

Boomer
11-14-2008, 09:04 AM
It is 4:36 in the morning as I read this and I am ready to jump into the red and white ostentatious used golf cart that is ours and drive up to Lake Sumter landing and wait for Barnes and Noble to open and spend some of whats left of our retirement fund on a book written by this man.

This may be another section that I avoid after political.

Boomer? YOU were the smacker????

No, no, no, GG. Go back and read that post in this thread again. I was the "smackee." It was not my recent political thing from the other day. That one was just for fun and did not cause a donnybrook -- or knock-down-drag-out. That one was just about how your space might reveal your political leanings. But the topic seemed to belong in political and so I tiptoed in. That one is nice.

But one time, several weeks ago, I got smacked around in political. It was not a lively discussion. That I can do. It was a smackeroonie. I had attempted to inject a wee bit of humor, you see. And I got called two names. One was "elitist" and one was "sexist." Me? There were some serious people in there in those days. But never underestimate my ability to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I just walked away. -- actually I ran.

Hey, I think I am off topic here.

Oh well, back to Carl H. Maybe see if there is a paperback of "Stormy Weather." That one is my favorite and Skink is in it. It is about the sleaze that slither out in the aftermath of a hurricane.

The bad guys always get it though with Carl in charge. But the humor is slightly dark sometimes. I always describe CH's books as "Florida Meets Fargo."

And GG, why don't you just go get yourself a library card. That is a nice little library up there on the north side of the south side. GG, if you do not want to spend all your money at B&N, get thee to the library.

Boomer

graciegirl
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
No, no, no, GG. Go back and read that post in this thread again. I was the "smackee." It was not my recent political thing from the other day. That one was just for fun and did not cause a donnybrook -- or knock-down-drag-out. That one was just about how your space might reveal your political leanings. But the topic seemed to belong in political and so I tiptoed in. That one is nice.

But one time, several weeks ago, I got smacked around in political. It was not a lively discussion. That I can do. It was a smackeroonie. I had attempted to inject a wee bit of humor, you see. And I got called two names. One was "elitist" and one was "sexist." Me? There were some serious people in there in those days. But never underestimate my ability to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I just walked away. -- actually I ran.

Hey, I think I am off topic here.

Oh well, back to Carl H. Maybe see if there is a paperback of "Stormy Weather." That one is my favorite and Skink is in it. It is about the sleaze that slither out in the aftermath of a hurricane.

The bad guys always get it though with Carl in charge. But the humor is slightly dark sometimes. I always describe CH's books as "Florida Meets Fargo."

And GG, why don't you just go get yourself a library card. That is a nice little library up there on the north side of the south side. GG, if you do not want to spend all your money at B&N, get thee to the library.

Boomer

Boomer.

True confessions.

I was a library aide almost from the time I could read. I can still hear MISS FINCH shushing people and pulling books out to even them on the front of the shelves like she was annoyed people read them. I don't like most Librarians...sorry, they just all seem to want me to return books on time, and although I am almost compulsively responsible in other areas of my life, I am nearly passive-aggressive about returning books to the library.

Boomer
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Boomer.

True confessions.

I was a library aide almost from the time I could read. I can still hear MISS FINCH shushing people and pulling books out to even them on the front of the shelves like she was annoyed people read them. I don't like most Librarians...sorry, they just all seem to want me to return books on time, and although I am almost compulsively responsible in other areas of my life, I am nearly passive-aggressive about returning books to the library.

GG,

Librarians are not that way much anymore. And besides, when you pay your fine that actually helps out the library. Libraries are seeing funding cut and it will get worse I am sure. The librarians at the library in TV were really nice when I was there. And your local library back home has nice librarians, too, I bet. Once in awhile, you may run across a stereotype still. But not so often as you might suspect.

So GG, c'mon, take a walk on the wild side. Visit the library. Give them another chance.

And about those fines -- sometimes people get really :cus: with the librarian about having to pay fines. I know you would never do that. You would just pay it and smile.

In fact, when I go to my local library, I always say, "I know I have a fine. How much is it?"

But there is one librarian there who gets a look of absolute terror in her eyes and she says, "It's really OK. You do not have to pay it now if you do not want to." (That tells me that this librarian is used to taking abuse from the public.)

But anyway, I always say to the nervous librarian, "Of course, I am paying my fine."

And then she looks at me in disbelief and finally relaxes.

You see, GG, believe it or not, public librarians sometimes have to put up with being screamed at by the patrons over fines. The times -- they have changed. People are mean to librarians sometimes. There are those :cus: who think public librarians are fair game.

So GG, I know that you are a nice lady and would never be mean to a librarian. So maybe, give the library another try. Fines happen. But now you can renew online or by phone with most libraries. But even if you did end up with a fine, you would never be nasty about it. You would smile and pay, just like I do. Go ahead, GG, make some librarian's day.

Boomer

Taltarzac
11-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I went to Library School at the University of Denver (DU) where I got a Masters in Librarianship and Information Management. The various students there as well as the professors were all quite different and I could find few of them who fit the librarian stereotype. In fact, we used to make fun of the little old lady sssshhhhing people in the library stereotype. Many of the public librarians I have been are extremely noisy places. The academic libraries can still have the ssshhhhing ladies and gents often wearing glasses with their hair in a bun. But, the men as well as the women might have their hair in a bun.

A good percentage of the librarians at the University of Denver were from Alaska and seemed to fit more with the Sarah Palin mold rather than with the Marian the Librarian one. http://stason.org/TULARC/education-books/library-librarian/7-1-How-did-the-Marian-the-Librarian-stereotype-start.html

I have though run across a few librarians who very much fit the Marian the Librarian stereotype.

Boomer
11-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey Tal,

I hope Linda and Carl H. do not mind that I keep talking about librarians in their thread. Something tells me though that both of them like librarians, too.

Any really good librarian knows that marketing is a big part of the job, putting the right book, in the right hands, at the right time so that the "customer" wants to come back.

There is also that library thing that says, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." (They don't know everything, of course, but they know where to find out.)

Anyway, I just have to show you this link. It is a hoot and a half for those of us who know librarians.

And talk about marketing -- this real librarian sure knows what that's about.

http://www.mcphee.com/laf/

A warning to TOTVers about librarians: Never, ever, ever engage a team of librarians in a game of trivia. They will collectively kick the behinds of any opponents. Some librarians can even answer questions about sports. And they might also make you buy them beer rounds. Do not say I did not warn you.

Boomer

another Linda
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
You are right, Boomer. I love books, libraries, and especially the Librarian Action Figure. When Nancy Pearl does her recommendations on NPR, I always run for pencil and paper.

Boomer
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
You are right, Boomer. I love books, libraries, and especially the Librarian Action Figure. When Nancy Pearl does her recommendations on NPR, I always run for pencil and paper.

Linda, I like that term you used. Causing a thread to morph does not give me the guilt trip that a hijacking does. I did not say it ever stopped me, but sometimes I do feel a little guilty. So thanks for the absolution.

Anyway, librarians must be hot all of a sudden. Imagine that. First an action figure and now in first place on the NYT bestseller list.

Have you heard about Dewey, The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron?

I have not read this book. I know nothing about cats. I have never been owned by a cat. (I do know a lot about geriatric dogs who run your life though.) But anyway, I thought I would mention this new book here. It was written by -- you guessed it -- a librarian!

I see quite a few cat pictures here and so I know that several cats post on TOTV, and I thought they might like this book about a cat who is now really famous. It is not a kids' book. It is a book for all ages.

I was driving along in the Boomermobile, the other day, and listening to NPR. (I know people here might think that's all I ever listen to.) But anyway, Diane Rehm, on her show, interviewed the author, on Monday, 11/17.

I did not start a new thread under the title of this book. I am not sure when I will get around to reading it. But I thought I would stick the information in here with the thread that morphed into librarians as a topic. Maybe someone else will see the title and want to read it and let us know more in a thread about the book itself.

Dewey has taken publishing by storm and that librarian is along for the ride.

Boomer

Boomer
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Addendum to my post above:

I am listening, even as we speak, to the part of Diane Rehm's show that I missed on Monday when she was interviewing the librarian who wrote Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.

Wellll, guess what is happening now to that librarian that Dewey the cat made famous and probably even rich.

The movie rights to the book have been sold.

And guess who is playing the librarian.

MERYL STREEP!!!!!

You've come a long way, Marian.

(uh, oh....She just started talking about the sad part.)

Boomer

another Linda
11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I also heard the NPR interview about Dewey. So many good books, so little time! the next author we are having is Ann Patchett. Haven't read her latest but loved Bel Canto.

Taltarzac
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/1463699.html

And an link about the librarian/writer from the Dewey book. http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/authors_Vicki-Myron-(1505122).htm

I still need to read Marley and Me.