PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having problems with Comcast High Speed Internet?

rekop
11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
We've been in The Villages about 2 months, and signed up for Comcast high speed internet. We have a lot of problems getting onto the internet (once we're actually on, everything is fine). I'll double click my internet explorer icon, and only get on to the internet about half the time. The other half the computer just gets hung up, and I end up hitting Ctrl, alt., escape, and then get an error message that says program (internet explorer) not responding. I've gone on and on with the comcast people - tthey claimed my version of Intrnet explorer was corrupted - (I re-installed it yesterday and still have a problem); my home pate gets too much traffic (yahoo.com) - never had a problem with it before; I need to power down the modem - do it about once a day now; need to clean out my cache and get rid of cookies - did that yesterday. I'm running out of patience, and can't think of anything else to try. I just wondered if anyone else was having problems - maybe the problem is on the comcast end.

thanks.

Cliff
11-20-2008, 09:52 AM
About a month ago I was having problems with my Comcast mail account not being able to transfer my email over to my Outlook Express accoount. They gave all kinds of excuses on why it was happening but the end result was that they explained that a recent change in their server to Smartmail was causing the problem and they changed my email settings for me. Works great now. I use Comcast as my home page when entering the internet and have no problems in getting on.

Pharmer
11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
You might want to try Firefox for a browser; it's actually more user friendly. If it gets hung up than you'll know the problem is with your Comcast connection

midstatepc
11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Do you have more than one antivirus program installed?

Shirleevee
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Last March we had a problem with Comcast too. I downloaded AOL and have not had a problem since then. I go directly to AOL not IE.

Hope this helps

Barefoot
11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Comcast was deadly slow a couple of days this week. I thought my computer had a virus, but other people with Comcast had the same problem.

Usually Comcast works well for me with Outlook Express. I open my mail in Yahoo.com.

ijusluvit
11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
There are some good suggestions here, but if you are still having problems, you can insist that Comcast come out and look at their hookup outside your house. That was the source of my problem, a badly corroded connection which they fixed for free because its their responsibility to bring in an adequate signal. If they find nothing wrong, you've narrowed the problem.

Barefoot
11-20-2008, 02:43 PM
There are some good suggestions here, but if you are still having problems, you can insist that Comcast come out and look at their hookup outside your house. That was the source of my problem, a badly corroded connection which they fixed for free because its their responsibility to bring in an adequate signal. If they find nothing wrong, you've narrowed the problem.

Good suggestion. It never occurred to me that a connection could be the problem. I thought it was either my computer or else their whole system was down.

golfnut
11-20-2008, 02:57 PM
no problems here, but I agree with previous post that you should have them check your external connection.

Cassie325
11-20-2008, 05:27 PM
We have noticed that in the last week during this cold spell and in the past when it is cold...we can not get online until about 10am or so....

I can't imagine that this day in age it is because of cold weather BUT...I guess it could be possible!

GMONEY
11-21-2008, 08:30 AM
ours has been running real good, havent had a problem yet. It is not as fast as they say it is. But it also depends on the website you are tying to connect to.

Barefoot
11-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Could a connection problem cause an intermittent problem?

Strangely, cold weather does seem to worsen the problem. Or perhaps I'm just on the computer more!

barb1191
11-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Last March we had a problem with Comcast too. I downloaded AOL and have not had a problem since then. I go directly to AOL not IE.

Hope this helps

I also logon to AOL rather than the Comcast site. I've always had good luck with AOL and it's more user-friendly than having to logon on to another site to read your emails on the IE Comcast site. And AOL is now free which is a big plus; also like their Buddy List.

Also, TV Computer Club is great for learning and getting help with any computer problems you may have. The membership fee won't break the bank either at $5/year.

Cassie325
11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Could a connection problem cause an intermittent problem?

Strangely, cold weather does seem to worsen the problem. Or perhaps I'm just on the computer more!

Barefoot....I am convinced it is the weather!! If it is under 50 degrees outside then we have NO internet at all....

Doesn't make sense...but it is the only time we have issues! Maybe when we cover the plants for the night we will cover the cable lines as well....if only I knew where they were!!

Barefoot
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
OK computer experts, does the weather affect Comcast reception?

Some days my reception is normal high speed, and some days it is deadly slow, similar to Cassie. Yet GMoney seems to have no problems.

If it is a connection problem, it wouldn't be intermittent, would it?

villages07
11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
It is possible that cold or inclement weather might have an indirect effect on Comcast speed.

Comcast service is "hard-wired" from their network center to your home through other shared network lines. The communications network from TV to Comcast servers has a capacity. We all share that capacity/bandwidth. If more people than normal are using their Comcast internet (during cold or bad weather) then each of us gets a smaller slice of the bandwidth pie and slower response time. This is such a densely populated area and it appears, from what others have posted, that Comcast has not built a leading edge technology network here....so, response times vary.

I sure wish we had a reliable, reasonably priced, high speed alternative to Comcast and Embarq/DSL. By the way, DSL users don't usually see the same variations in response time as Comcast since each household has its own dedicated line.

rekop
11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Do you have more than one antivirus program installed?
No, we just have AVG anti-virus. I did re-install internet explorer Version 7, and the problem seems better, although not perfect; and for some reason the surfing speed seems a little slower.

midstatepc
11-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Large temperature swings can affect physical connections. Cold temperatures will shrink materials, making gaps appear between 2 objects, in this case the cable and what it's screwed into. hot temperatures will expand materials, shrinking gaps between objects. The problem connection would have to be located above ground, outside. possibly in a termination box on the side of the house, or in a distribution box located on a street corner.

Just a thought, Is anyone affected located in the area hit by the tornado?

Cassie325
11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
OK computer experts, does the weather affect Comcast reception?

Some days my reception is normal high speed, and some days it is deadly slow, similar to Cassie. Yet GMoney seems to have no problems.

If it is a connection problem, it wouldn't be intermittent, would it?

Maybe it is a CYV issue?? At the apartment (outside TV's) I have not had any issues....but when I arrive to the Villa on a cold morning...well we have NOTHING!!!

I know this sounds very fascicious....and while it is...perhaps there is something to it....

G...do you live in a CYV?

barb1191
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Another possibility of sporadic slowdown could be your AV/Spyware and/or whatever maintenance programs you have automatically scheduled to run at certain times of the day. When these programs are running in the background, I find that my 'puter runs much slower.

Another slowdown is of course when the peak usage times of the day, one can notice the drag. Similar to peak traffic times when commuting via auto can slow you big time, huh? Guess most of us retirees no longer have to deal with the peak traffic of commuting to work, thank goodness!!

midstatepc
11-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I sure wish we had a reliable, reasonably priced, high speed alternative to Comcast and Embarq/DSL. By the way, DSL users don't usually see the same variations in response time as Comcast since each household has its own dedicated line.
For some, there is an alternative, WebKraft. it is a wireless ISP. it works off of the same technology that your typical wireless home router uses, only it is engineered to a higher standard. I had them for 2 years and had no complaints about the service.
The reason I say "for some" is that the tower that services this area is located in Spruce Creek South. so you would have to be able to "see" the tower from your house or roof.

golfnut
11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Good explanation V07, I have the slow comcast connection and it's fine for me since I'm not a huge user of internet here in TV (different story when we were in Michigan in the winter), I never noticed a variance based on the temperature. Doesn't comcast have a high speed option here??...GN

Barefoot
11-23-2008, 08:31 AM
It is possible that cold or inclement weather might have an indirect effect on Comcast speed.

Comcast service is "hard-wired" from their network center to your home through other shared network lines. The communications network from TV to Comcast servers has a capacity. We all share that capacity/bandwidth. If more people than normal are using their Comcast internet (during cold or bad weather) then each of us gets a smaller slice of the bandwidth pie and slower response time. This is such a densely populated area and it appears, from what others have posted, that Comcast has not built a leading edge technology network here....so, response times vary.

Seven, that is good info, as always. It stands to reason that more of us are on the computer when it is cold. Midstatepc has also pointed out that cold weather can shrink materials and connections. So I guess it isn't our imagination.

Barefoot
11-24-2008, 11:25 PM
It was warmer today, yet I had huge delays this morning. Tonight Comcast is working well for me.

I'd like to hear from other high-speed users .. is your service dependable?

Cassie325
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
It was warmer today, yet I had huge delays this morning. Tonight Comcast is working well for me.

I'd like to hear from other high-speed users .. is your service dependable?

Comcast just left the house. He checked several things and found that we actually had an old splitter hidden in the "attic" that was not found the last time someone was out here. He said it was bad and he replaced it. When we had the conversation about service being out when it is really cold...he said essentially what 07 said!

"When it is really cold in the morning there are more people using their computers instead of heading outside."

I still have my doubts, but I do think it is suppose to be VERY cold tomorrow morning so we will see.....hopefully the splitter issue was the root of our issues....

He thought it really was a "coincidence" that when it is called we had no service...

I will let you know the next cold morning...

Cassie325
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
This morning it was just about 40 degrees when we got to the villa....internet was working!!! THEN....around 8:30 the Comcast Tech called to make sure it was working!! WOW! That was great! We now have his cell phone number and he stated that the next time it is really cold and the internet doesn't work, we can call him!!

Now that is customer service...and he has renewed my faith in Comcast!!

faithfulfrank
11-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Interesting thread.
I'm sorry, but I had to smirk when I read about the "cold weather". I have comcast TV in the Florida house, but up here in NY we have Roadrunner. I just got in from snowblowing the driveway, and we have not seen 50 degrees in weeks...it is currently 28 degrees here.
My Roadrunner is always fast, and always works. When we do retire down there to the Florida home, I hope I have some good internet options.....

Frank D.

Cassie325
11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Interesting thread.
I'm sorry, but I had to smirk when I read about the "cold weather". I have comcast TV in the Florida house, but up here in NY we have Roadrunner. I just got in from snowblowing the driveway, and we have not seen 50 degrees in weeks...it is currently 28 degrees here.
My Roadrunner is always fast, and always works. When we do retire down there to the Florida home, I hope I have some good internet options.....

Frank D.

Frank....this is the ONLY reason why I miss Rochacha!!!

No matter what the weather is like....Roadrunner always worked and seemes to be the best!!