PDA

View Full Version : Plant City Strawberry Festival?

billethkid
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Has anybody gone to this event in the past?
Is it worth the 1.5+ hour drive each way?

Looking for the good and or the bad about it.

onslowe
03-09-2016, 07:38 AM
We went in 2013 on a Villages' AAA bus trip. It was very crowded (I'm not a crowd person.) The lot for cars must have been full because many many neighboring homes were renting out their yards for parking - at a bit of a distance from the fair grounds. We were okay because of restricted bus parking.

The fair was good, but spectacular if one is a strawberry lover. Various food concessions, vendors' tent exhibits on a multitude of products unrelated to strawberries, music etc.

If you drive there, bring a cooling container for strawberries bought.

I think if you planned to arrive very early, it would be fine.

Best wishes.

billethkid
03-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Wow one person in TV went to the strawberry festival a couple of years ago. Must not be an item on anybody's to do list while in FL?

I am surprised.

BobnBev
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Once was enough for us.................way too crowded:ho:

billybye
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Good fair, went last year. Discount tickets sold at Publix. Also there is a charge for parking, based on how close you park.
Not going this year, but will go again in future.
Saw Troy from Swamp there last year.

Arctic Fox
03-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Wow one person in TV went to the strawberry festival a couple of years ago. Must not be an item on anybody's to do list while in FL? I am surprised.

Our neighbors are taking me and Mrs Fox there on Friday. We shall try to leave you some strawberries.

nancymenn
03-09-2016, 09:06 PM
I'll reply. I have been to the Strawberry Festival, but once was enough. That being said, I'll explain that I don't like crowds or long distances to walk or fair rides or overpriced food. BUT, I did enjoy the entertainment the day I was there, the shuttle that took us from parking right up to the front gate and above all, the strawberries. We chose to buy flats of strawberries from a small vendor alongside the two lane road near the festival and felt they were freshly picked and a good price.

I might consider making a trip back to Plant City, however, during the festival and finding the state farmer's market. I was told by some locals that the strawberries there are even better and prices were lower. It was rainy on my attendance day and I didn't want to search it out. Might be "find," though. Let us know what you discover!

JerryLBell
03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
I might consider making a trip back to Plant City, however, during the festival and finding the state farmer's market. I was told by some locals that the strawberries there are even better and prices were lower.
We haven't moved to our house in The Villages yet. Where is the nearest State Farmers Market? We have several here in North Carolina, including one fairly close to our house and the wife and I love them!

ladygolfer123
03-10-2016, 08:04 AM
The Strawberry festival is great... if you like crowds, dust, sunshine etc. They have great entertainment at a decent price... good strawberry shortcake etc. But it is a county fair..it is fun and entertaining if that is what you like! Go prepared for weather, parking a distance away and walking a lot.

Bogie Shooter
03-10-2016, 08:27 AM
The Strawberry festival is great... if you like crowds, dust, sunshine etc. They have great entertainment at a decent price... good strawberry shortcake etc. But it is a county fair..it is fun and entertaining if that is what you like! Go prepared for weather, parking a distance away and walking a lot.

I agree with this assessment. It's a different experience, why not go?

Madelaine Amee
03-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Has anybody gone to this event in the past?
Is it worth the 1.5+ hour drive each way?

Looking for the good and or the bad about it.

I have friends who go every year. They go with a group from their neighborhood and have a really fun time. They are country music lovers so for them the music is great, strawberries are great, they love the atmosphere and have a wonderful time.

It would not suit me and the otherhalf - actually the otherhalf would rather have a root canal than go to the strawberry festival - but to each his own!

Greg Nelson
03-10-2016, 10:56 AM
We went last year. Got there early less crowds and cheap berries

BobnBev
03-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Is there a bus from the villages?

villagetinker
03-10-2016, 09:24 PM
There is a bus trip, contact the villages transportation. Also, I have one ticket, that I was not able to use, is good until the 13th. Send a PM, first to responds gets it, free.
The bus trip is $40, and includes admission to the festival.

Barefoot
03-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Who doesn't like sunshine and strawberries? Not so keen on big crowds tho.

JC and John
03-11-2016, 05:58 PM
We went last year. It was crowded and we walked a huge distance to get into grounds. It was ok and can say we have been there done that. Will not do again. The make it yourself strawberry shortcake was good but you had to stand over folks who were sitting in hopes they would leave soon so you could finally sit down and enjoy your dessert. Go, have yourself a good time and you too can say "been there done that."

Polar Bear
03-11-2016, 06:00 PM
Sounds like nobody goes there any more...it's too crowded.

justjim
03-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Sounds like nobody goes there any more...it's too crowded.

To each his own but I think the Strawberry Festival is an event that you should go at least once. We enjoyed the entertainment and the various strawberry dishes. Best tip----go early and do "your thing" before the crowds get real big and you get to park close and avoid the longer walks.

cordenny
03-11-2016, 07:20 PM
My husband and I went to the Strawberry Festival on Tuesday. We found a good parking place for $10. We had a short walk and found the Amish Baking Company and had the best glazed donut ever with a cup of coffee. We had these at The Florida State Fair too. It was worth the drive just for the homemade giant donut. We walked around and looked at the exhibits. They had The Golden Boys concert (Frankie Avalon, Fabian, and Bobby Rydell). We stood in line an hour before the show. They opened the gate and we got to sit in the bleachers for free. We rented a seat cushion for $1. It was a great show. Plenty of strawberries and strawberry gooey desserts and all the fair food.

billethkid
03-11-2016, 07:25 PM
We were going to suck it up and throw the dice for tomorrow/Saturday.

Then......we discovered tomorrow is kids free day....through high school!

Plan 'B'. 2017 during the week!!!

Polar Bear
03-11-2016, 07:55 PM
To each his own but I think the Strawberry Festival is an event that you should go at least once...
I hope my little Yogiism wasn't totally lost. :)

dbussone
03-11-2016, 09:43 PM
My husband and I went to the Strawberry Festival on Tuesday. We found a good parking place for $10. We had a short walk and found the Amish Baking Company and had the best glazed donut ever with a cup of coffee. We had these at The Florida State Fair too. It was worth the drive just for the homemade giant donut. We walked around and looked at the exhibits. They had The Golden Boys concert (Frankie Avalon, Fabian, and Bobby Rydell). We stood in line an hour before the show. They opened the gate and we got to sit in the bleachers for free. We rented a seat cushion for $1. It was a great show. Plenty of strawberries and strawberry gooey desserts and all the fair food.

We went years ago. But your review makes me want to drive over first thing in the morning. You've put a bounce back in my step - it must be a sugar high.

Thanks for the reminder of a past fun time.