PDA

View Full Version : Computer runs slow

mswalsh
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a Dell desk top 2300 that needs more ram. How much should I add to my system & how do I know what to order for my system?

zcaveman
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Go to www.powerleap.com (my choice) or www.crucial.com. They have a program that you have to download that will scan your PC and tell you how much memory you can add and what kind and sell it to you at a cheap price. All you have to do is look at the user manual for how to install it.

You have to go to task manager to see how much you are using. Alt-Ctrl-Del and go to the Performance tab and look at the Physical memory area. If you are low add what you can afford.

I added 1 meg to my laptop. At the price these two sites charge for memory you cannot go wrong.

Memory only helps the apps on the PC. If you are experiencing slow uploads and downloads it might be something else.

nyclicker
11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
You might want to try this first, it usually helps. It can really clean up your computer but does take a little time.
http://securitytango.com/tango.php

jdboisvert
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi ny, go to the crucial memory web site and enter your system model, etc. and it will advise you what to purchase. The plus here is their prices are usually very competitive. Hope this helps.

midstatepc
11-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a Dell desk top 2300 that needs more ram. How much should I add to my system & how do I know what to order for my system?

I made the assumption that you have a Dimension 2300. The factory manual specified PC133 SDRAM (non-ECC) and either 128, 256, or 512 MB of RAM factory installed. the maximum memory specified is 1 GB (1024 MB ). if you have 512 MB installed already, it may be split up into 2 modules. your computer only has space for 2 modules, so you would have to replace both in order to increase your memory. SDRAM is becoming more scarce as time goes on, so the price is higher than DDR or DDR2

short answer, purchase 2 memory modules at 512MB each. type is SDRAM PC133.
If you just want to go pick it up somewhere, staples has it listed for $49.99 each. otherwise, get it online, it will almost always be less expensive.

zcaveman
11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I made the assumption that you have a Dimension 2300. The factory manual specified PC133 SDRAM (non-ECC) and either 128, 256, or 512 MB of RAM factory installed. the maximum memory specified is 1 GB (1024 MB ). if you have 512 MB installed already, it may be split up into 2 modules. your computer only has space for 2 modules, so you would have to replace both in order to increase your memory. SDRAM is becoming more scarce as time goes on, so the price is higher than DDR or DDR2

If you just want to go pick it up somewhere, staples has it listed for $49.99 each. otherwise, get it online, it will almost always be less expensive.

The thing is if mswalsh goes to www.crucial.com or www.powerleap.com, the site will look at the PC and tell him what his options are. AND the memory is cheap and arrives in a couple of days. I have used powerleap to upgrade my system and several other systems in my Village area.

GMONEY
11-25-2008, 07:14 AM

Thats good info!!

mswalsh
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
The thing is if mswalsh goes to www.crucial.com or www.powerleap.com, the site will look at the PC and tell him what his options are. AND the memory is cheap and arrives in a couple of days. I have used powerleap to upgrade my system and several other systems in my Village area.

okay, I went to crucial.com & the site did a windows registry scan. It said I had some registry errors & recommended that I purchase a program to fix the windows registry errors 1st. before I purchase ram. Does this sound ligit or are they just trying to sell me something else besides the increased ram?

One other question, how easy is it to install the ram? Do I have to take apart my tower?

zcaveman
12-08-2008, 10:51 PM
okay, I went to crucial.com & the site did a windows registry scan. It said I had some registry errors & recommended that I purchase a program to fix the windows registry errors 1st. before I purchase ram. Does this sound ligit or are they just trying to sell me something else besides the increased ram?

One other question, how easy is it to install the ram? Do I have to take apart my tower?

Try www.powerleap.com (the one I always use) to see if they say the same thing. I never had a problem with either.

Your hardware manual (hard copy or online) should tell you how to install the memory. You need to shut down the machine and remove the power cord. Open he box and ground yourself to the box to prevent static electricity. I usually take off my shoes and socks to make sure me and the tower are grounded. You then need to find the current memory strips and then follow the instructions for installing new strips. It is usually just a flick of the strip sides to open the slot and then move the old strip up and out. You put the new ones in the same way and then move it forward until it snaps in place. If you feel pressure, stop and see what is binding.

Put it all back together and start it up and verify you have the upgraded memory.

midstatepc
12-09-2008, 06:56 AM
... Does this sound ligit or are they just trying to sell me something else besides the increased ram?

That's an ad from another company. so yes, they are trying to sell you something. And It's pretty much like zcaveman described. But I will caution you, you will have to use a fair amount of pressure to firmly seat the memory modules. In your pc, the memory will have 2 notches in the bottom edge. make sure to have the module oriented correctly with the socket, the modules only go in one way. If they are backwards, well...