PDA

View Full Version : Who can you trust for landscaping

MNFlex
03-11-2016, 04:39 PM
We just finished the landscaping and patio project from hell. What should have been a 1-2 week project for landscaping and building a patio has taken almost 6 months. Given we only live here part time, we are especially vulnerable to scams. We hope to save people the grief we went through, as we had to use 3 different contractors. Here is our feedback on each:
- Artistascapes: creative, but CAVEAT EMPTOR. We ended up terminating our services with them because they stopped working on our project. We tried to work with them for 3 months. Brad would promise to work on it and then never show up. Stay away and if you do work with them, pay as little up front as possible. We learned the hard way what happens when you pay too much up front.
- Outdoor Creations: did a reasonably good job in completing our landscaping when we were in FL. If you work with Chris, my advice is to pay him as the work gets done and to stay close to what is done. As an example, after the landscape fabric is laid, make sure the sprinklers are not covered. Experience was less positive when we were not in FL.
- Native Cuts: our experience was very good with this company. Earl and Gina were a pleasure to work with and we are pleased with the patio they built for us. He has a good rating with the BBB and they did not require 50% up front. I wish we would have started with this company as we would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

JoMar
03-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Not sure what you are asking. Sounds like you have settled in with Native Cuts but you ask "Who can you trust for landscaping". Are you looking for someone else?

Ray Roberts
03-12-2016, 08:55 PM
They are few and far between, but Villages Palms Landscape is the only one I will now allow on my property. I have had all of the bad one, believe me.

Mleeja
03-12-2016, 09:43 PM
We were very happy with Jamie's Landscaping. They did excellent work and were very easy to do business with. I believe there are other positive reviews for Jamie's on TOTV.

dbussone
03-12-2016, 09:53 PM
I would highly recommend McGowans. Fabulous work. They submit the plan you authorize to the ARC. And they stand by their work. No $ up front. Payment only after you are satisfied with their work.

bruce213
03-12-2016, 10:34 PM
We had good luck with Calypso great job and lot less $ then the big guys. Call Matt 352-434-5767.

Bosoxfan
03-12-2016, 10:37 PM
We were very happy with Jamie's Landscaping. They did excellent work and were very easy to do business with. I believe there are other positive reviews for Jamie's on TOTV.
We've had lots of work done by Jamie & his crew and couldn't be happier! Definitely not the cheapest but you get what you pay for & more :BigApplause:

Pointer
03-13-2016, 07:33 AM
I had a great experience with "All American Kwik Kerb and Landscaping" as have some of my friends. I trusted them to come up with the design and I'm still getting compliments a year later and couldn't be happier. call Jim at 352-266-4539

Madelaine Amee
03-13-2016, 07:52 AM
We just finished the landscaping and patio project from hell. What should have been a 1-2 week project for landscaping and building a patio has taken almost 6 months. Given we only live here part time, we are especially vulnerable to scams. We hope to save people the grief we went through, as we had to use 3 different contractors. Here is our feedback on each:
- Artistascapes: creative, but STAY AWAY from them. We ended up terminating our services with them because they stopped working on our project. We tried to work with them for 3 months. Brad would promise to work on it and then never show up. Stay away and if you do work with them, pay as little up front as possible. We learned the hard way what happens when you pay too much up front.
- Outdoor Creations: did a reasonably good job in completing our landscaping when we were in FL. If you work with Chris, my advice is to pay him as the work gets done and to stay close to what is done. As an example, after the landscape fabric is laid, make sure the sprinklers are not covered. Experience was less positive when we were not in FL.
- Native Cuts: our experience was very good with this company. Earl and Gina were a pleasure to work with and we are pleased with the patio they built for us. He has a good rating with the BBB and they did not require 50% up front. I wish we would have started with this company as we would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

TOTV's search is easy to use, and if you are new to the area and have found your way to this chat line use their search to find just about anything you could want. I NEVER get someone in to do anything until I have first searched TOTV and read the various pros and cons on the different services being offered.

MNFlex
03-13-2016, 04:40 PM
It is easy to say search TOTV. However, what if the company is not on TOTV but a neighbor recommends the company. That was our dilemma. We did not make the right choice, and we are hoping others learn from our mistake.

MNFlex
03-13-2016, 04:42 PM
No. We were sharing our experience in hopes it helps others.

jimbo2012
03-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Jamie & his crew and couldn't be happier! Definitely not the cheapest but you get what you pay for & more

He is high $$ for what is done, but the work is ok.

He did two homes of my friends, one had issues getting him back on the phone for follow up. they spent $22,000, I figure the materiel cost $6,000. so where's the trust

But the thing that was shocking was both jobs were done without ARC approval.

Now to address the OP question who can you trust, trust is not only to do good work. Trust is also being charged fairly

I trust myself, and that what I did, granted not for everyone!

RickeyD
03-13-2016, 05:06 PM
He is high $$ for what is done, but the work is ok.

He did two homes of my friends, one had issues getting him back on the phone for follow up. they spent $22,000, I figure the materiel cost $6,000. so where's the trust

But the thing that was shocking was both jobs were done without ARC approval.

Now to address the OP question who can you trust, trust is not only to do good work. Trust is also being charged fairly

I trust myself, and that what I did, granted not for everyone!

Pic's man, where are the pic's ! I plan to do my own thing also :bigbow:

jimbo2012
03-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Rick, PM sent

Kooba
03-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Douglas Landscaping..They do are weekly maintance on our property, and did a fantastic job trimimg all our trees & hedges ( we live on a corner lot with lots of scrubs & trees including 13 palm trees)

CritterLover
03-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Southern Charm Landscaping & Nursery, Kim Rutledge. 352-427-1362. He only uses plants that will actually grow in our climate, prices are great, service after the job, and he's very professional!

don t
03-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Tomas landscaping was great. quick efficient and clean. always there when promised

Irmidick
03-20-2016, 10:31 AM
KGL does good work