PDA

View Full Version : The Migration has Begun

Rapscallion St Croix
03-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Went to Atlanta over the weekend and saw well over a hundred Canadian plates heading north on 75.

CWGUY
03-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Went to Atlanta over the weekend and saw well over a hundred Canadian plates heading north on 75.

:coolsmiley: Good start!

justjim
03-20-2016, 06:28 PM
The Merchants in TV are in no hurry for anybody to head back north. Snowbirds and snowflakes help keep Florida taxes low.

debow
03-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Drove thru Atlanta today around 2:00 PM. North bound I75 was backed from the I 85 split to at least 20 miles south of the city. Never seen anything like it.

Barefoot
03-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Drove thru Atlanta today around 2:00 PM. North bound I75 was backed from the I 85 split to at least 20 miles south of the city. Never seen anything like it.

Easter is early this year, April 27.
Apparently there are lots of Canadians (and also people from the Northern States)
heading home to spend Easter with family.
The US Government limits Canadians to 182 days in a calendar year to stay in the US.
This applies to seasonal residents that own homes, as well as snowbirds that rent.

debow
03-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Apparently there are lots of Canadians (and also people from the Northern States)
The US Government limits Canadians to 182 days in a calendar year to stay in the US.
This applies to seasonal residents that own homes, as well as snowbirds that rent.

Not sure if they were snowbirds, springbreakers, or just a bad day for traveling but a serious traffic jam.

JP
03-20-2016, 08:07 PM
Great!

KathieI
03-20-2016, 08:11 PM

Easter is really early this year,,, more like March 27, LOL.

Barefoot
03-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Easter is really early this year,,, more like March 27, LOL. Whoops, I missed by a month! :doh: Thanks for the right date Kathie, LOL.
We notice the same thing when we leave at the end of April, tons of Canadians driving north.

Modigliani
03-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Wanted to clarify, it's 183 days in any 365 day period, not in a calendar year -just saying.

CFrance
03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Wanted to clarify, it's 183 days in any 365 day period, not in a calendar year -just saying.
YAY! Bare can stay a day longer!:BigApplause:

asianthree
03-21-2016, 07:42 AM
I75 will be a parking lot coming up from Tampa. From now till mid April

graciegirl
03-21-2016, 07:52 AM
///

Sable99
03-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Don't forget that I-75 northbound is still closed near the Tennessee/Kentucky border because of last month's rock fall. If I remember right, it's about a 40 mile detour but very slow. I heard that one lane would be opening near the end of the month. The southbound lanes are now open.

Barefoot
03-21-2016, 01:29 PM

Modiagliani, I was assuming Canadians fill out a Closer Connection Form 8840; that's what I was basing my comment on. (Sometimes border guards ask for a copy of this form.)

Form 8840 states:

General Instructions
Purpose of Form
Use Form 8840 to claim the closer
connection to a foreign country(ies)
exception to the substantial presence
test. The exception is described later
and in Regulations section
301.7701(b)-2.
Note:
You are not eligible for the closer
connection exception if any of the
following apply.
• You were present in the United States
183 days or more in calendar year 2015.
• You are a lawful permanent resident of
the United States (that is, you are a
green card holder)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget that I-75 northbound is still closed near the Tennessee/Kentucky border because of last month's rock fall. If I remember right, it's about a 40 mile detour but very slow. I heard that one lane would be opening near the end of the month. The southbound lanes are now open.
Excellent information, thanks Sable.

Jima64
03-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Lots of spring breakers out there this week.

Nucky
03-22-2016, 08:13 PM
I made friends with several people from Canada on TOTV. Wonderful people. It was my pleasure and I hope you have a safe trip when you travel. :mademyday:

Bay Kid
03-23-2016, 06:54 AM
It is a shame that some of our neighbors are so glad to see us leave. Karma will kick in.

twoplanekid
03-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Today, my brother and I signed up for pickleball 101 practice at Manatee to observe that only 8 people are currently on the 24 person class list. From January till now, we only made the standby lists.

dbussone
03-24-2016, 08:41 AM
It is a shame that some of our neighbors are so glad to see us leave. Karma will kick in.

You would be welcome in our neighborhood! We have many good friends who are seasonal residents.

Mathmarm
03-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder BAREFOOT :)

rexxfan
03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
I doubt its personal, just a preference for less-crowded conditions. I can understand that (although crowded-in-the-Winter is the reality here, and has been for some time I gather, so the constant yearly refrain does seem a bit pointless, its not as if its going to change).
--
Bob C

CFrance
03-24-2016, 03:01 PM
I doubt its personal, just a preference for less-crowded conditions. I can understand that (although crowded-in-the-Winter is the reality here, and has been for some time I gather, so the constant yearly refrain does seem a bit pointless, its not as if its going to change).
--
Bob C
I agree it's pointless. We go through this every year on the forum. It's Florida, and it's going to be crowded in the winter and quiet in the summer. Everybody knows that. I really enjoy my winter friends, and also like the quiet in the summer.

Did anybody see the pictures of the Denver blizzard yesterday...

dbussone
03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
I agree it's pointless. We go through this every year on the forum. It's Florida, and it's going to be crowded in the winter and quiet in the summer. Everybody knows that. I really enjoy my winter friends, and also like the quiet in the summer.

Did anybody see the pictures of the Denver blizzard yesterday...

Yes. And I'd much rather remain here in TV, 24/7/365. If someone wants to see snow they should just take a flight to a snowy area, but live here. No cabin fever, no SAD syndrome. The worst things you can complain about here are: rotaries, dog poo, and problematic grown children of other Villagers. Now in the grand scheme of things, I would say there is no better place than the bubble.

Ok, so I forgot about MMP striping discussions. What else?

CFrance
03-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Yes. And I'd much rather remain here in TV, 24/7/365. If someone wants to see snow they should just take a flight to a snowy area, but live here. No cabin fever, no SAD syndrome. The worst things you can complain about here are: rotaries, dog poo, and problematic grown children of other Villagers. Now in the grand scheme of things, I would say there is no better place than the bubble.

My dogs' poos are perfect. What's to complain about?

BobnBev
03-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Let me add speeding carts.

mrbgull
03-24-2016, 05:17 PM
ok Sam

rustyp
03-24-2016, 05:51 PM

Yes best place to be is here when then snow flies up north - have not found better. Many a place is better than here in the summer. Thus a migration. Fact is this is number 2 not 1 if it wasn't for that nasty white stuff. There seems to be a heavy coloration to this being number 1 and folks that can't afford two homes. Just an observation.

Blessed2BNTV
03-24-2016, 06:30 PM
On our way home from Atlanta....yipppeeee! Traffic in Atlanta is crazy because of road construction and the new stadium.

There's no place like home...clicking my heels....

HimandMe
03-24-2016, 06:46 PM

Love the seasonal people yet it is so refreshing not to have the crowds in the off season. Looking forward to see you in the fall!

CFrance
03-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Yes best place to be is here when then snow flies up north - have not found better. Many a place is better than here in the summer. Thus a migration. Fact is this is number 2 not 1 if it wasn't for that nasty white stuff. There seems to be a heavy coloration to this being number 1 and folks that can't afford two homes. Just an observation.
Well, I think there's more than just that. In our case, having two homes turned out to be a PITA. The three-day drive to and from Michigan, the fact that we had no house sitters to look after the MI house, the fact that there's a short window of good weather in MI (thus a lot of time on the road for about three to maybe four months of decent weather). Finances did not really enter into the decision to make this our full-time home. Weather and driving did. Although I will admit that we have no grandchildren, and now no more children in Michigan. So the decision became easier.

graciegirl
03-24-2016, 07:06 PM

you tube goodbye fairwell auf weidersehn adieu - Bing video (http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+goodbye+fairwell+auf+weidersehn+ adieu&view=detail&mid=C6E3838ED7211A83BD09C6E3838ED7211A83BD09&FORM=VIRE)

rustyp
03-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Well, I think there's more than just that. In our case, having two homes turned out to be a PITA. The three-day drive to and from Michigan, the fact that we had no house sitters to look after the MI house, the fact that there's a short window of good weather in MI (thus a lot of time on the road for about three to maybe four months of decent weather). Finances did not really enter into the decision to make this our full-time home. Weather and driving did. Although I will admit that we have no grandchildren, and now no more children in Michigan. So the decision became easier.

Yes I too understand the PITA part. However I am not from Michigan but have been there and it's natural beauty is breathtaking and by far out ways Florida's natural beauty. Yes I'm thankful for the manmade landscaping we have here but it wouldn't take long for it to look like scrub grass if not maintained. Your Michigan retains it's beauty 24/7/365 without intervention. I will be somewhere else than here when the snow is not flying as long as I am able health and financial wise. I have been here 7 years and you are not going to convince me to stay here in the summer - tried that did not like it.

CFrance
03-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Yes I too understand the PITA part. However I am not from Michigan but have been there and it's natural beauty is breathtaking and by far out ways Florida's natural beauty. Yes I'm thankful for the manmade landscaping we have here but it wouldn't take long for it to look like scrub grass if not maintained. Your Michigan retains it's beauty 24/7/365 without intervention. I will be somewhere else than here when the snow is not flying as long as I am able health and financial wise. I have been here 7 years and you are not going to convince me to stay here in the summer - tried that did not like it.
And I agree with most of what you say. It was a very hard decision. I'm not a Michigan native (37 years in Pittsburgh, my favorite place in the world), but Michigan is the most beautiful place we've ever lived. And yes, I miss it. And I miss Pittsburgh. And what to do... :boom:

dbussone
03-24-2016, 08:38 PM

I'd suggest many can afford more than one home, including several homes, bur prefer TV as a permanent base of operations for other venues, such as long cruises or other desirable locations, but expensive trips. Just saying - on behalf of many of our friends.

CFrance
03-24-2016, 08:45 PM
I'd suggest many can afford more than one home, including several homes, bur prefer TV as a permanent base of operations for other venues, such as long cruises or other desirable locations, but expensive trips. Just saying - on behalf of many of our friends.
That was a consideration for us. It cost a set amount of $ per month to keep our place in MI. We opted to put that into travel instead.

dbussone
03-24-2016, 08:51 PM

The important thing is that you be where you like. My wife and I have lived in many locations, but learned early on that you will enjoy any location if you wish to. We grew up in the Boston area - loved it. Moved to Nashville twice - loved it both times. Lived in Atlanta - loved it, but did not like the traffic. You get it. If you want to enjoy a location, you will. If you don't, you won't. I'm happy you are happy avoiding the snow and whatever it is else you avoid.

Me, I'm just tickled pink to be in TV.

dbussone
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
That was a consideration for us. It cost a set amount of $ per month to keep our place in MI. We opted to put that into travel instead.

Hot damn, CF. I think I just confirmed what you said.

asianthree
03-25-2016, 01:30 AM
If you are traveling be safe. Drive up from Tampa last April took us 4 hours. Yuck