PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico

tankdvr1950
12-03-2008, 10:28 AM
i am a lifelong GIANTS fan (gee, can you tell by the pic next to my name).....and win or lose i have always been proud of the team and the coaches....and then along comes PLAXICO :cus:

while he is a great athalete and a talented receiver...he certainly does not fit the GIANTS mold

he certainly is not a team player.....its all about him...at times he reminds me of TO at Dallas (probably my leaset favorite football player).....a couple of games ago he fights with an opposing player and gets a stupid major penalty and has the gaul to say some obscene remarks to the coach when the coach challenges him on the penalty....he does not practice during training camp because of a supposed injury (hangnail??) but once he gets a new contract he is fine

i am glad that he will physically recover from the recent shooting.....but beyond that....i have no sympathy for him at all...while it will probably not happen (althought there is hope, i.e. Michael Vick)...i hope he does some time for his crime

i am very glad the GIANTS management acted as quickly as it did....its in keeping with the mold that the team has lived by for so many years

I for one would rather have the team go thru a winless season rather than have Plaxico play for the GIANTS.....i sincerely hope the team finds a way to get rid of him...he isn't and will never be a NY GIANT

dfn8tly
12-03-2008, 11:08 AM
He says he's not guilty of carrying a concealed weapon yet he admits to shooting himself in the thigh. What did he do --- borrow the gun?! What arrogance.

stjade
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
As a long time giants fan and season ticket holder, I agree with you fully. It just shows what happens after a big contract and signing bonus is recieved. last year Plax was all about team and played even though injured. This year a different story. Steve :agree:

schotzyb
12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
The Steelers knew what they were doing when they did not try to resign him. Did not fit in the Steelers mold either. Probably end up with Dallas or Oakland. They are not too particular on their players reputations.

KathieI
12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey, you guys.... I don't keep up with these things, but what's up with Michael Vick?? Is he doing time? I sure hope so. I belong to an organization that is taking care of his dogs and its a terrible shame what he did and how cruel he was.

What's with these athletes. What ever happened to the guys we could look up to? Vick should go to prison for life. Our Best Friends Organization is thankfully taking care of his sins.

Bucco
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey, you guys.... I don't keep up with these things, but what's up with Michael Vick?? Is he doing time? I sure hope so. I belong to an organization that is taking care of his dogs and its a terrible shame what he did and how cruel he was.

What's with these athletes. What ever happened to the guys we could look up to? Vick should go to prison for life. Our Best Friends Organization is thankfully taking care of his sins.

A few comments on this post...

First, Best Friends is a wonderful organization and the wife and I have been with them for many years..actually planned a trip there a few years ago but for a number of reasons had to cancel, but hope to make it up.

Vick is still serving time and will be probably be getting an early release as a result of a plea agreement relative to state charges in Va.

My opinion...MONEY is the problem. Guys, heck all pro athletes, have grown up being told they were special, treated that way, GIVEN way too much of everything and then when they make it to the pros they are given such sums of money so that the money coupled with a lifetime of being treated as "above" the real world gives us the Vick's and the Burress's. Obviously not all pro athletes fit this mold, but so many do and the GUARANTEED MONEY no matter how they perform...the adulation (police at the hospital were telling him to get better for the playoffs)...having folks cover for you (Read the NY papers today about the Doctor suspended for not reporting the shooting)....over time gives them the feeling that rules apply to everyone BUT them !!!!

Best Friends organization is a wonderful place for those holiday donations by the way :)...Bestfriends.org

KathieI
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Bucco, I love you even more now... Best Friends is the greatest. I worked with them locally in LA in rescuing lost or stray animals and helping to get homes for them. I usually ask my friends to make donations to them instead of giving me a gift that I won't use.

I've only been with Best Friends since Katrina and the work they did was so warm and wonderful. I envy you, I've often wanted to go there to assist them with major rescue efforts, but unfortunately, haven't made it yet. I'm sure Nonie will come with me someday when we're both living in TV.

I agree with you about the money aspect, but as I mentioned I know nothing about athletes or sports except the damage they do to others and our four legged friends.

www.Bestfriends.org (http://www.Bestfriends.org)...

GMONEY
12-04-2008, 05:35 AM

First, Best Friends is a wonderful organization and the wife and I have been with them for many years..actually planned a trip there a few years ago but for a number of reasons had to cancel, but hope to make it up.

Vick is still serving time and will be probably be getting an early release as a result of a plea agreement relative to state charges in Va.

My opinion...MONEY is the problem. Guys, heck all pro athletes, have grown up being told they were special, treated that way, GIVEN way too much of everything and then when they make it to the pros they are given such sums of money so that the money coupled with a lifetime of being treated as "above" the real world gives us the Vick's and the Burress's. Obviously not all pro athletes fit this mold, but so many do and the GUARANTEED MONEY no matter how they perform...the adulation (police at the hospital were telling him to get better for the playoffs)...having folks cover for you (Read the NY papers today about the Doctor suspended for not reporting the shooting)....over time gives them the feeling that rules apply to everyone BUT them !!!!

Best Friends organization is a wonderful place for those holiday donations by the way :)...Bestfriends.org

I agree with you 1000% on this one Bucco. Best Friends is a wonderful deal as with any organization that does the same.

I have for the longest time been a big fan of College Football as you can tell. I very seldom watch pro sports. I remember watching Kevin Garnett crying over his contract back years ago, 110 million wasnt enought for 7 years, he wanted 120 or 130. How in the world do you pay these people so much money and then give them a gaurantee,, signing bonus,, then they sign on with the likes of Nike, Adidas, Gatorade and so on. Then when something happens like this deal with PB, you have the people wanting to cover them. i heard on real radio yesterday, a guy called in telling them he needed the gun for protection, the protection the league offers isnt enough. Well he had the gun, had it in a place he should not have, it went off. now he needs to pay the piper. What if someone had been killed? Like Vic, he needed to go down for that unimaginable act with the dogs. He should be banned from the league for ever. There are so many. But when you pay guys that much money, some of which make like 100,00 a game or like 2,000 a minute for the game when you break it down, they think they are above the law. It is becoming a trend if you watch the news or ESPN. SO many of these high profile Athetes so what they want.

College sports is where the action is. They play just to be playing.

chuckster
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree........Enjoy college football, basketball, etc. but won't waste my time watching the prima donnas, felons and goons of pro sports (NFL, NBA, NHL).

GMONEY
12-05-2008, 04:43 AM
i agree........enjoy college football, basketball, etc. But won't waste my time watching the prima donnas, felons and goons of pro sports (nfl, nba, nhl).

couldnt agree more.

Bucco
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
couldnt agree more.

Well, now...I may agree with your stated philosophy but in practice I just enjoy sports...both college and pro...exception may be the NBA :)

It is difficult to put aside at times the off field activity and the money but I love the games. I am a fan of Derek Jeter of the Yankees...he is the second highest paid player (I think) but that does not detract me from rooting for him.

Maybe I am lucky in that I just plain block out the outside stuff and watch the games. Even in college, when you see a fellow majoring in crocheting or something you know why he is in school :)

SteveFromNY
12-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Bucco - I agree with you that money is the problem, but with one caveat - when it is coupled with STUPIDITY the problems arise! If the athletes have some brains and common sense, these issues don't arise.
If I had the money Plaxico had, and I wanted "protection", I'd have either gotten a legal carry permit (and a holster) or hired a couple of armed body guards. Why would someone with so much money decide to tuck a loaded handgun into his pants with the safety off? For that matter, why would a person with no money tuck a loaded handgun into his pants with the safety off? Only reason I can think of: He's fundamentally STUPID.

MelZ
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Guys:

A couple of points even though I agree with you.

1. It is virtually impossible to get a carry permit in NYC. I have a NYS carry permit and I can't carry in NYC.

2. The Glock doesn't have a safety.

If he felt threatened in the VIP section of a Nightclub maybe he should have stayed home with his wife and kids. A bodyguard would have been cheaper than the $23M plus jailtime this will cost him.

Bucco
12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Guys:

A couple of points even though I agree with you.

1. It is virtually impossible to get a carry permit in NYC. I have a NYS carry permit and I can't carry in NYC.

2. The Glock doesn't have a safety.

If he felt threatened in the VIP section of a Nightclub maybe he should have stayed home with his wife and kids. A bodyguard would have been cheaper than the $23M plus jailtime this will cost him.

I am under the impression that most of these high paid pros have paid body guards to accompany them in a situation like this, but seems Plaxico was trying to save a few bucks :)

SteveFromNY
12-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I didn't know Glocks don't have safeties! Only seen them in movies! And I always assumed with enough money, you could get a carry permit in the city. So Mel, I appreciate the update and stand corrected.

And we all seem to agree that if Bill Engvall were around he'd say to Plax "Here's your sign!"

JohnN
12-11-2008, 06:54 PM
young boys paid vast fortunes to play ball,

idolized, they sometimes don't really mature well , more often than the public at large who struggle to eat and pay bills.

given Plax's past antics, I'm not the least surprised,

however, long as he can catch passes, someone will pick him up,
it's all about money