PDA

View Full Version : PG-13: Not Pretty...It's Just Nature

Polar Bear
03-24-2016, 11:53 AM
I didn't post this in the Picture Perfect forum, because it's definitely not pretty or anything. But for those who think about nature in all its forms, including the beautiful and the not-so-much, here's what I saw in my oak tree this morning. For those of you who aren't sure of the detail of what you're seeing, join the club...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/sdavis44/Dead%20Bird.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sdavis44/media/Dead%20Bird.jpg.html)

Taltarzac725
03-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Crash landing of some kind of egret, heron, ibis?

While trying to watch the recent rocket launch the other night there were about 40 birds like this one in a pond off of Morven Parkway. There was a huge disturbance in the flock and it sounded like something was being pulled under while the rest of the flock noisily took off for safer waters.

Maybe this one of these refugees from the active alligators in the ponds that somehow got away before its wounds forced it down??

Polar Bear
03-24-2016, 04:08 PM
I got the remains down from the tree and researched the tag a bit. Looks like it was a racing bird (pigeon) from a nationwide bird racing club, local chapter in Citrus County. Probably a bad place/bad time scenario for the unfortunate bird...crossing paths with some bird of prey.

Taltarzac725
03-24-2016, 06:12 PM
I got the remains down from the tree and researched the tag a bit. Looks like it was a racing bird (pigeon) from a nationwide bird racing club, local chapter in Citrus County. Probably a bad place/bad time scenario for the unfortunate bird...crossing paths with some bird of prey.

Last trip to Sleepy Hollow.

WhoDat
03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
From the black wing tips, it appears to be one of the white pelicans seen recently.

CFrance
03-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Looks too big to be a pigeon...?

Polar Bear
03-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Pretty much agree about its looks. But after bringing it down it could be. Seems fairly big for a pigeon, but not so much that it eliminates the possibility. It was really torn up.

zcaveman
03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
From the blue ring on its leg, it looks like it is being tracked. Maybe you should call someone or check out the ring to see if there is any information and a place to call.

Z

Polar Bear
03-25-2016, 04:03 PM
That's what I did, z. (See my 2nd post in thread.) I've informed the club of what I know. They said they could track down the owner. He could then contact me if interested at all.

zcaveman
03-25-2016, 06:40 PM
That's what I did, z. (See my 2nd post in thread.) I've informed the club of what I know. They said they could track down the owner. He could then contact me if interested at all.

Sorry I missed that post. Thanks for trying.

Z