PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit & oranges...

OpusX1
12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Where to buy. The grocery stores are asking $3 for 2 grapefruit. Any fruit stands out of TV a ways that grow their own? I like to buy from small local farms if there are any.

Cassie325
12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
There is one on Rte 466 just past the Charter Schools and Walmart on the righthand side....

And there is one on the other side of 466 going towards La Zamora on the left hand side.

I can't say whether their prices are lower...but I think they at least grow them locally!!

Barefoot
12-08-2008, 01:25 AM
My neighbour has tangerines and I have grapefruit and limes. We trade. Perhaps you should consider planting some citrus trees. It doesn't take long for fruit to appear.

Happy Villager 1
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
For those of us that live South of 466 and have irrigation water that is non-potable is it safe to eat the fruit from our own fruit trees? I don't have any
fruit trees but my neighbor has three and told us to pick what we want but I haven't because I've been afraid to eat it.

graciegirl
12-09-2008, 05:00 AM
For those of us that live South of 466 and have irrigation water that is non-potable is it safe to eat the fruit from our own fruit trees? I don't have any
fruit trees but my neighbor has three and told us to pick what we want but I haven't because I've been afraid to eat it.

Fruit can't absorb the microorganisms from the irrigation water. Just wash it off good. You don't eat the peel.

EdV
12-09-2008, 08:12 AM
From a published guideline of the Canadian Horticultural Council:

There is little scientific evidence that can be used to make recommendations regarding the microbial quality of irrigation water used in fruit and vegetable production. According to the Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment, irrigation water should contain no more than 100 fecal coliforms/100 ml water and 1000 total coliforms/100 ml water. Other references such as the Cornell University guide entitled “Food Safety Begins on the Farm” suggest a content of 1000 fecal coliforms/100ml.

I would definitely consider obtaining published testing results of the non-potable water from the local water district before eating the fruit.

Those published reports should also include an opinion on the use of their non-potable water for agricultural purposes.

Peachie
12-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Do your neighbors eat the fruit and are they alive and kicking? :yuck: That would be my yardstick for making a decision. I do think I would scrub the fruit/veggies clean prior to consumption.

KayakerNC
12-09-2008, 10:43 AM
**Snip**I would definitely consider obtaining published testing results of the non-potable water from the local water district before eating the fruit.
Those published reports should also include an opinion on the use of their non-potable water for agricultural purposes.

I would love to see someone demanding water reports :read: from the local fruit stands or the grocery stores on the produce they sell. :1rotfl:

chuckinca
12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I remember as a kid visiting grandma in rural Indiana watching (and holding my nose) the man next door throw pales of septic tank contents on his fruit trees all the time.

Also, as a GI driving in a APC in Germany watching out not to hit a farmers "Honey Wagon" that they used to fertilize their fields.

I doubt that the partially treated waste water has any bad effects on fruit trees.

Coconuts
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
We bought some grapefruit from Jennings on 466/301. 75cents each and delicious.

The Great Fumar
12-09-2008, 11:09 PM
There is a farmers market section at THE MARKET OF MARION approx 4 miles north of the villages on 27/441 .. They are open Fridays , Saturdays , Sundays and have a great selection of all kinds of fruits and vegetables that are locally grown.........Prices are the best in the area..

try it , you'll like it...........fumar

graciegirl
12-10-2008, 07:30 AM
It is my understanding that our irrigation water comes from retention ponds and may have Duck do and fish icky but not human waste.

gnu
12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
There is a farmers market section at THE MARKET OF MARION approx 4 miles north of the villages on 27/441 .. They are open Fridays , Saturdays , Sundays and have a great selection of all kinds of fruits and vegetables that are locally grown.........Prices are the best in the area..

try it , you'll like it...........fumar

Here on Marco we buy all our fruit and vegetables at the Farmers market on Wed. Can't beat the fresh tomatoes, but they are pretty ripe and need to be eaten soon after they are bought. The store prices are SOOOOO high here!

Barefoot
12-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Oh my gosh, we live south of 466 and I've never given a moment's thought to the irrigation water. :22yikes:

I've been eating our limes and our neighbour's tangerines for two seasons and loving the fact they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides. Now I have to worry about the irrigation water? Bummer.

Peachie
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh my gosh, we live south of 466 and I've never given a moment's thought to the irrigation water. :22yikes:

I've been eating our limes and our neighbour's tangerines for two seasons and loving the fact they haven't been sprayed with any pesticides. Now I have to worry about the irrigation water? Bummer.

Lol, Barefoot, I wouldn't waste one minute worrying about the delicious fruit in the yards in TV's. What in the world do people think is used in the real farming world to produce the products consumed by the people on this planet? There probably is more toxicity in the plastic used daily in our lives than any "byproducts" in the irrigation water. :icon_hungry:

Barefoot
12-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Lol, Barefoot, I wouldn't waste one minute worrying about the delicious fruit in the yards in TV's. What in the world do people think is used in the real farming world to produce the products consumed by the people on this planet?

True Peachie. Now that I think of it, when I had horses there was always a line-up in the spring for seasoned horse manure for vegetable gardens.