PDA

View Full Version : Driverless cars...

looneycat
03-28-2016, 01:49 PM
could be a real boon to the blind especially if they self park, however, do you think it will ever be possible for a blind person to be the sole occupant/operator?

Walter123
03-28-2016, 03:09 PM
We already have driverless cars in The Villages, if you know what I mean....LOL

dbussone
03-28-2016, 03:26 PM
could be a real boon to the blind especially if they self park, however, do you think it will ever be possible for a blind person to be the sole occupant/operator?

Über wants to place a large order for driverless cars. If that happens, it would seem they would become available to the general public. I can see in that case where the car needs to be registered, perhaps with a special designation, but the (blind) owner would be considered an occupant only. What do you think!

Jima64
03-28-2016, 03:36 PM

So true, thanks for the laugh.

Nucky
03-28-2016, 03:41 PM

What you said is gospel. From what I've read on here in the last year you better have your head on straight before you get behind the wheel in the general vicinity of your personal headquarters. It is so real to me because I can't get rid of the image of a person who was flat out racing like a Nascar driver holding the wheel for dear life and while wailing down the road with nobody around but me out of nowhere decided to make a right turn and wheels off the ground rubber squealing did negotiate the maneuver, pulled over straightened out their hair looked around to see who saw the stunt waved at me and gave me a smile and rode off into the sunset like The Lone Ranger. Driverless cars may be safer but I would NEVER be transported in one. I like my chances better with The Nascar person.:popcorn:

villagetinker
03-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Google has built cars with no steering wheel and no brake or accelerator pedals. I can just imagine one of these on a roundabout......
Oh yeah, then there is the problem that it seems NONE of the GPS mapping companies can keep up with the villages, so no map, no go????
While these potentially have many upsides, IMHO, I can see just as many downsides. The main downside will be people getting used to the driverless (or highly advanced semi autonomous driving mode) and then getting into a car without these features.

spring_chicken
03-28-2016, 03:56 PM
As of right now, in the places where autonomous automobiles are legal, they require a licensed driver in the driver's seat for a manual override in the event of an emergency.
Sorry, but I don't want a blind person taking over in the event of a computer malfunction.

village dreamer
03-28-2016, 05:21 PM
oh come on people , the new driverless cars will be as safe as our jets and trains today???

Walter123
03-28-2016, 05:22 PM
As of right now, in the places where autonomous automobiles are legal, they require a licensed driver in the driver's seat for a manual override in the event of an emergency.
Sorry, but I don't want a blind person taking over in the event of a computer malfunction.

Autonomous automobiles are gonna happen as the technology progresses. Maybe not full scale in our lifetime but for our kids. No one could have imagined the horseless carriage either. It's progress and it can't be stopped and shouldn't be. Next will be trains and planes. I personally like the idea of taking human error out of the equation.

Walter123
03-28-2016, 05:24 PM
So true, thanks for the laugh.

You're :welcome:

kcrazorbackfan
03-28-2016, 06:16 PM

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

dbussone
03-28-2016, 06:27 PM
oh come on people , the new driverless cars will be as safe as our jets and trains today???

And besides, if there is an accident it will be the other car's fault anyway. You know, the one with the driver.

dbussone
03-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Autonomous automobiles are gonna happen as the technology progresses. Maybe not full scale in our lifetime but for our kids. No one could have imagined the horseless carriage either. It's progress and it can't be stopped and shouldn't be. Next will be trains and planes. I personally like the idea of taking human error out of the equation.

Even drones have remote operators. Now if I could send my driverless car to the food store and pick up my order, I would be happy to stay at home and backup the drone car from my computer console.

Walter123
03-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Even drones have remote operators. Now if I could send my driverless car to the food store and pick up my order, I would be happy to stay at home and backup the drone car from my computer console.

Someday Grasshopper, this too will be possible............just keep it out of the left lane!

dbussone
03-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Someday Grasshopper, this too will be possible............just keep it out of the left lane!

So true. Just so true. ;)