PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Computer printer network problem ...

Sidney Lanier
12-10-2008, 06:38 PM
We have a Canon printer that we want to run off my Mac and HB's Windows machine. Bought cables and an A-B switch. Mac required no software installation--just plug and play, so to speak. Went through the hassle of installing software on the Toshiba: start it, stop it, do this, do that, restart, tear hair out. Wired up the two computers and the printer to the A-B switch.

In the Mac position the computer and printer communicate perfectly and anything we need prints away. :pepper2: In the Toshiba position, the printer continues to show as 'offline' (through the Control Panel) and will not come online without my disconnecting everything and plugging the computer directly into the printer. :cus:

A friend suggested that instead of the A-B switch (which I cannot return), I should use a USB hub. Before I go out and spend more money on this hassle, is there anyone who has a USB hub not being used that I can borrow to at least see if it'll work. If it does, then I'll buy one. If it doesn't, well, did you ever see a grown man cry?

Geez, I hate Windows! Macs are so simple (probably because I'm simple too--but you don't have to agree...). Many thanks!

midstatepc
12-11-2008, 06:32 AM
a usb hub is not for networking or sharing printers. if both computers can get on the internet at the same time, then they should be able to share the printer between the two without any extra hardware. Which model canon?

Sidney Lanier
12-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Both computers--Mac and Toshiba--can get on the Internet wirelessly simultaneously. I do not believe that the printer has wireless capabilities, and even if it does, I'm a Mac person and am clueless as to what to do with Windows. It's a Canon 4150, if that helps. Many thanks for posting back!

midstatepc
12-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Sorry for the delay, I did a search for the specifics of your printer. I made the assumption that you have a MF-4150 black and white multifunction laser printer. you can share your printer between the two computers. For you, I think it best to plug it into the mac and share it from there. I found a link on how to share printers from a mac to a windows computer. http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html if you're not comfortable going through this, then I can offer my services to take care of it for you.

784caroline
12-15-2008, 09:08 AM
SIdney
I have a very similar problem trying to get 2 IBM computers (a desktop and a laptop) to share a Canon Pixma MP450 printer (and files). I have had 2 computer guys who advertise in the VIllage Daily Sun over the hosue trying to make this work and neither could do it after spending hours trying. FInally I had to give in a buy a cheap printer for the laptop which I was desparately trying to avoid primarily from the footprint or space perspective!

Now what I have been told by others in the know is that their could be a problem with something called the Register and I would need to edit that to eliminate and reinstall the print drivers....but this can be very very dangerous if you mess up....not for the average novice. Since you and both have Cannon Printers could this be a Cannon issue??

My better-half wants the printer for she uses the laptop, and I have already spent more money on trying to network--or share--- these machines than what the new printer costs.

Sidney Lanier
12-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion; I'll check the link in my 'copious free time,' as dealing with this has moved to the back burner. You are correct as far as the Canon is concerned; it's a great printer and works well with EITHER machine but not with both. With the Mac it's fine; the Toshiba apparently 'does not work and play well with others....' As of now I do have it plugged into the Mac, since the A-B switch doesn't work work with the Toshiba, and so far HB emails me attachments of what she needs printed, not the most convenient but it's a reasonable stopgap until we find perfection! Thanks again!

Sorry for the delay, I did a search for the specifics of your printer. I made the assumption that you have a MF-4150 black and white multifunction laser printer. you can share your printer between the two computers. For you, I think it best to plug it into the mac and share it from there. I found a link on how to share printers from a mac to a windows computer. http://members.cox.net/18james/osx_printer_sharing.html if you're not comfortable going through this, then I can offer my services to take care of it for you.

Sidney Lanier
12-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Haven't yet figured out how to put two quotes in one response. Of course you can probably tell that from not being able to network the printers....

I'm surprised that the computer guys would charge when they couldn't do what you had called them to do. As I mentioned in the previous response, I can get the printer to work with both computers by constant unplugging and plugging a USB cable, nuisance but workable. Since one reasonably knowledgeable friend suggested a USB hub, I'm still inclined to try it, even if it's fruitless. Meantime, as mentioned, HB sends me by atttachment what she needs printed and I just do it from the Mac. This Canon is terrific; we'd reached the point of 'we've had it' with cheap printers, of which we've had a litany over the years. The Canon laser all-in-one was a discontinued model and we're thrilled with it!

SIdney
I have a very similar problem trying to get 2 IBM computers (a desktop and a laptop) to share a Canon Pixma MP450 printer (and files). I have had 2 computer guys who advertise in the VIllage Daily Sun over the hosue trying to make this work and neither could do it after spending hours trying. FInally I had to give in a buy a cheap printer for the laptop which I was desparately trying to avoid primarily from the footprint or space perspective!

Now what I have been told by others in the know is that their could be a problem with something called the Register and I would need to edit that to eliminate and reinstall the print drivers....but this can be very very dangerous if you mess up....not for the average novice. Since you and both have Cannon Printers could this be a Cannon issue??

My better-half wants the printer for she uses the laptop, and I have already spent more money on trying to network--or share--- these machines than what the new printer costs.