PDA

View Full Version : Amigo's

uujudy
12-11-2008, 11:21 PM
We had dinner at Amigo's after the Villages Band Concert tonight, and they have new management AND the $6 margaritas are now $2 Margaritas! They're REAL margaritas, with real tequila in them and real salt on the rim! Pass it on.
I THINK the fajitas were yummy, but I had too many $2 margaritas to be certain... :icon_hungry:

MMC24
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
We had dinner at Amigo's after the Villages Band Concert tonight, and they have new management AND the $6 margaritas are now $2 Margaritas! They're REAL margaritas, with real tequila in them and real salt on the rim! Pass it on.
I THINK the fajitas were yummy, but I had too many $2 margaritas to be certain... :icon_hungry:

I love your diet choices :pepper2:

KathieI
12-12-2008, 12:35 AM

UU, call me next time you go to dinner, sounds like a fun night!! :beer3:

uujudy
12-12-2008, 12:54 AM
You Betcha! We'll all go!

Muncle
12-12-2008, 01:57 AM

That is really good news about the mgt, I assumed when I saw the subject that the place was closing or someone was complaining about the mediocre food and bad service. We seem to get more than our share of restaurants opening with failure written all over the front door. They all seem too have at least one fatal flaw -- inexperienced ownership/management, insufficient or poorly trained staff, bad food, inconsistent service or food, bad location, or bad concept.

I realize the restaurant business is one of the most cut-throat around, and it really doesn't help that everyone who has ever been in a restaurant or bar thinks they can run one. Too bad there's not a qualifying test Morse could give them before he leases.

Sorry about the rant. Back to the subject -- I'll be anxious to try Amigo's again. I thought the food was acceptable, but the service sucked. Best of luck to the new folks.

Peazoup
12-12-2008, 07:48 AM
me too, me too, me too - I love Margaritas. uujudy, let me know when. thanks

uujudy
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
That is really good news about the mgt. . . I'll be anxious to try Amigo's again. I thought the food was acceptable, but the service sucked. Best of luck to the new folks.

Muncle, they still have some of the same servers, but Mr Aoki says, "Pull them up with you," which I always try to do. (That's my excuse for being such a high-maintenance customer ;)

The new management was very visible and seemed like they were trying to train the servers. On the other hand, the $2 margaritas made everything seem better! :beer3:

uujudy
12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Peazoup, MMC24& KathieI, maybe we should start a Margarita club!

rshoffer
12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
We went to Amigos months ago... I thought the food was ho-hum at best but the place looked filthy... glad a new mgr is there. Sounds like a place to be wastin my time and steppin on pop tops and blowin out flip-flops...

chuckster
12-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Been a regular since opening. Like the margaritas and the draft beer and chips/salsa is a bargain. Power was out the other night and waited on the porch/veranda with margaritas, chip/salsa for the power to be repaired. Worth the wait, food and service both great. Incidentally never have seen the place dirty/filthy. My better half would have noticed......well that is until too many margaritas.

MinnieM
12-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I went to SS this evening and I noticed Amigos closed and the signs have been taken down.
Another one bites the dust.

MinnieM

pili
01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
We walked by Amigos last night and it was all dark. Have they closed? I liked their food and drinks. Anyone knows anything?

donaldlmiller
01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Was in Villages this past week. Amigos was closed. I truly understand how so many business and restaurants are going out of business. It has been told to me by the time they pay their lease and them have to give a % of the GROSS to the VIllages it is a wonder all of them aren't out of business. If you notice the new restaurants are close but outside the Villiges. Go figure.

Donna
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Was in Villages this past week. Amigos was closed. I truly understand how so many business and restaurants are going out of business. It has been told to me by the time they pay their lease and them have to give a % of the GROSS to the VIllages it is a wonder all of them aren't out of business. If you notice the new restaurants are close but outside the Villiges. Go figure.

:agree: In this economy it is tough enough to stay above water..

donbettyr
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I guess everyone knows they are out of business, like the rumors all fall that would happen

golferling
01-10-2009, 04:43 AM
HELLOOOO Doesn't anyone even know they are CLOSED???????? They were busy, too...maybe the Villages wanted the space todo whatever they are going to do with the Spanish Springs sales center?????

ocalasmith
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
My wife and I enjoyed Amigo's when it first opened but you loose patience when the staff is standing around talking to friends that drop by and you can not get service. Babies are nice but do not bring a new born in and pass it from waitress to waitrss and then have that waitress serve food

musicman
01-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Restraunts are cut throat, low margin businesses. I have been told the reason they fail in TV is the excessive leases they pay. They also have to pay a percentage of gross revenue to The Villages. Rather than have Mr. Morse give them a test, perhaps he could make leases more realistic. I would think that The Villages powers that be would want to do everything they can to give businesses an incentive to be here. In my opinion, the turn over of restaurants has a diminishing effect on my opinion of my community. I am a creature of habit. It benefits The Villages (owners) to have new businesses come into the community and established business to stay.

Mallory
01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
redsauce opens Monday at 4 PM in LSL. Give them a chance.

As for the leases, they are signed by the restaurant operators. I'm sure they think they can make it in this community. It's easy - good food, good price, good service.

musicman
01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Heard today that they got booted out so that the Wellness Center could move in.

Skip
01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Heard today that they got booted out so that the Wellness Center could move in.

Not true. Wellness Center will be upstairs.

Skip

Living the Life
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Restraunts are cut throat, low margin businesses. I have been told the reason they fail in TV is the excessive leases they pay. They also have to pay a percentage of gross revenue to The Villages. Rather than have Mr. Morse give them a test, perhaps he could make leases more realistic. I would think that The Villages powers that be would want to do everything they can to give businesses an incentive to be here. In my opinion, the turn over of restaurants has a diminishing effect on my opinion of my community. I am a creature of habit. It benefits The Villages (owners) to have new businesses come into the community and established business to stay.

I am not sure why people try to blame business failures on The Villages or the developer. The lease rates in The Villages are very competitive with other well managed properties. Businesses know what their lease rate is when they make the commitment. Businesses usually fold due to poor management, poor service, poor quality or all of the above. If a business provides good service and provides a quality product, customers will support it. Its survival of the fittest and that is everywhere...not just The Villages!!

Russ_Boston
01-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Great post LTL - I think people outside of TV know this but for some reason there are lots of folk in TV who think the developer should somehow take less money than the market will bear. If the lease rates are TOO high then eventually the owner will need to lower them to keep the space rented. Supply and Demand - Macro ECO101

Puterguru
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
They fail because they suck, simple as that. PLENTY of restaurants that have been here a long time and are successful. The ones that are leaving were no good. Whiskey Creek, Dairy Queen Grill and Chill, Dominique's, Bonos BBQ.

I don't konw why people here post with comments like "with Sooooooo many restarants closing", theres about 5 closed, and what 70 or more that are open?

thegreenerside
01-27-2009, 03:40 PM
"I don't konw why people here post with comments like "with Sooooooo many restarants closing", theres about 5 closed, and what 70 or more that are open?"

Don't forget about
Spanish Springs; Cafe Ole, the Italian place before Bourbon Street, Firehouse, The Mexican place before firehouse, the pizza place in the starbucks

Domino Pizza, the sports bar and the other three restaurants in same location down by the Winn Dixie, I believe there have been two chinese buffets by the Winn Dixie as well, Snappy Tomato, planet smoothie, the list goes on and on

I would imagine that there have been as many as 40 restaurants come in and out of The Villages in the last 6 or 7 years.

The only restaurants that have managed to survive in TV have been corporate backed chains. The others have died, in the process, or will.

BritParrothead
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
We went to Amigos months ago... I thought the food was ho-hum at best but the place looked filthy... glad a new mgr is there. Sounds like a place to be wastin my time and steppin on pop tops and blowin out flip-flops...

Ooh I feel a song coming on.....;)

Living the Life
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
"I don't konw why people here post with comments like "with Sooooooo many restarants closing", theres about 5 closed, and what 70 or more that are open?"

Don't forget about
Spanish Springs; Cafe Ole, the Italian place before Bourbon Street, Firehouse, The Mexican place before firehouse, the pizza place in the starbucks

Domino Pizza, the sports bar and the other three restaurants in same location down by the Winn Dixie, I believe there have been two chinese buffets by the Winn Dixie as well, Snappy Tomato, planet smoothie, the list goes on and on

I would imagine that there have been as many as 40 restaurants come in and out of The Villages in the last 6 or 7 years.

The only restaurants that have managed to survive in TV have been corporate backed chains. The others have died, in the process, or will.

Again, many businesses start up with a "build it and they will come" approach. For a business to succeed it needs to have a business plan, understand the market and its customers.

kwachowski
01-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought Amigos was closed. I heard it closed right before the new year.
Is that true?