PDA

View Full Version : Horse Haven Farm -- great place

784caroline
12-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Just prior to the holidays I made some inquirires on this board about a place I could take my visiting nieces horse back riding...and the Horse Haven Farm off rte 42 was recommended. What a great place. THis farm takes in abused horses and the horses earn their keep by doing 2 rides (and only 2 rides) daily. The farm is staffed by mostly volunteers and the price of the rides are very reasonable...and the most enjoyable that one could expect. First of all their were 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children ages 13 and 10) and we got there a little early and we were allowed to feed the horses pepermint treats and get to know them. Then we actually selected our own horse and with the approval of the owner (Margret) final selection was done. All children under 16 wear a Helmet and All riders wear an organge blaze vest. Final horse selection was based on whether you have ever ridden before, the size of the horse compared to the rider, horse temperment etc. When the horses were saddled we first rode the horses in an arena area to get to know the horse and try some of the rein movements we were instructed to use. Shortly afterwards, we headed out on a trail and at first its a slow walk but then if everyone is comfortable you get to canter, trot and actually gallop...it was GREAT not only for the adults but the kids really enjoyed it! With the 4 of us they had 2 "Farm" (Experienced) riders and they told us if some of us wanted to run while others just wanted to walk they would split us up...they really try to accomodate and tailor the ride to the wants and experience of the riders and even offer some riding lessons while on the trail.

It gets as realistic as you can imagine for you are in the Ocala National Forrest for approx 45 minutes and we got to see deer running by, bear rubbings against a tree, and other things that you just dont think about. We learned about the BIG BEAR Lake that is now practically a lake bed only but how all the wildlife still hover around that area. (Longer rides are available with planning in advance)

The Horse Haven Farm is only about 30 minutes from TV located at the intersection of Rte 42 and 452.....and a great place to take your visitors. The farm stays in exstence from the fees the horses gather from the trail rides and its all for a good cause! They even had a baby colt born on Easter Day in a separate coral that you could feed and hear her WHINE for mom!!

Just Susan
12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
You should be their P.R. person caroline, this sounds like a wonderful adventure for guests as well as residents. I think I would like to try this when we get to TV. Yep, just one more wonderful thing to do.:pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

Best Mom
12-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I agree it is a great place.:0000000000luvmyhors

Dayton
12-28-2008, 07:27 AM
What is the price range for this?

Best Mom
12-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Around 50 -60 dollars for an hour ride which turns into a hour and a half . They have other deals. The place is called JNB Horse Haven Farm. Their number is 352-821-4756 or 352-753-4756.
Under Non Villages there is a thread called Riding Horses which has posted their website and other info. :0000000000luvmyhors