PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie, Benjamin Buttons, 7 Pounds, Day..Earth Stood Still

Freeda
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi, I am new to TOTV, and thought I would share my recent movie reviews, ad I am a frequent movie-goer.

Loved '7 Pounds' - a great movie;
hated Day the Earth Stood Still (no real story - the original one was tons better);
Valkyrie was slow, very few actions scenes - only see it if you just want to learn the history story, as I did;
'The Odd Case of Benjamin Buttons' (This may not be exactly the correct title of the movie) I found very weird, without a point, and not interesting, although some of the acting was okay and of course, Brad Pitt always looks great - even when made up to look 'old'.
I saw part of 'Marley and Me' while waiting for a different movie to start and it looked great - I will go back to see the entire movie.

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone! Freeda Clark

Irish Rover
12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Marley & Me is a tear jerker. Took my wife and her friend and they cried on several occasions even though they said they loved it. Thanks for the reviews as we are going to a movie tonight before dinner and celebrating. Happy New Year

rshoffer
12-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Marley & Me is a tear jerker. Took my wife and her friend and they cried on several occasions even though they said they loved it. Thanks for the reviews as we are going to a movie tonight before dinner and celebrating. Happy New Year I think I almost needed CPR after "old Yeller" 50 years ago.... not sure I can handle this one.

Taltarzac
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
So far this Holiday season, I have only seen a couple of the big new releases. Have to agree that The Day the Earth Stood Still pales in comparison with the 1951 (?) original.

I liked Valkyrie even if it was more of a political thriller than a war movie. There were a few WWII scenes but if you go expecting something like Patton you will be disappointed. Tom Cruise also seemed miscast for the role of the chief conspirator.

Yes Man is another one of the movies I went to from the Holiday season crop. Unless you are a fan of the Liar, Liar side of Jim Carrey's film works, I would skip this one. It is funny in parts but nothing much better than the typical sit com which makes it to the big screen.

comurhamer
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Saw Marley & Me, Love it even though it is a tear jerker.
Thanks for the reviews. Someone in the newspaper said 7 lbs was terrible, so I hadn't decided to see it. Will go based on your review.:shrug:

Barefoot
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I was also planning to skip Seven Pounds, but some friends have given it good reviews.

Has anyone seen "Doubt" yet? It looks interesting.

Julie
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I saw Grand Torino with no expectations and was surprised at how much I liked it. Yes parts of it seem a bit contrived, but overall an interesting feel good movie. One of my favorite parts about the movie is when Clint and his friend "man up" the hmong (sp?) boy.

We have a couple of groups of friends who went to the Benjamin Button movie, all of them disliked it. One of them thought so poorly of the film that she renamed it to Benjamin Butthead. :laugh:

F16 1UB
01-01-2009, 12:58 AM
We have a couple of groups of friends who went to the Benjamin Button movie, all of them disliked it. One of them thought so poorly of the film that she renamed it to Benjamin Butthead. :laugh:

Button whatever - We saw it too. :yuck: Save your money for a box of Kleenex and go see Marley & Me.

MSNPA
01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I loved The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I was a beautiful story and I would go and see it again.

Irish Rover
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Saw "Doubt" last night. It really brought back memories of grade school years at St. Peter's in Steubenville. Overall we liked the movie but felt it left several questions to be answered. It left us with more questions than answers. I would recommend it - the acting was superb.

Time for Tee
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree with Irish 100%. Very serious subject and made you think that the sermon on "Doubt" was right on the button as you find out in this outstanding movie. Acting was A+++++ and worth the money.
Loved Marley~~~~sniff, sniff. Our son just lost their Lab after 15 years and we loved him as our own. Great family movie but brink a hanky!:thumbup:

Taltarzac
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
This was an excellent movie in all areas IMHO.

There must be a lot of Villagers who thought likewise as even after a week after opening when I saw it yesterday at the largest theater in the Old Mill Playhouse I would say that more than 5/6ths of the 300 seats were taken. All but the bottom few rows were full except for a lone empty seat here and there.

rekop
01-02-2009, 06:05 PM
We just saw Slumdog Millionaire, and highly recommend it. Roger Ebert gave it high reviews and predicted it would receive a best picture Oscar nomination.

njgranny
01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
We enjoyed Benjamin Button. Thought it was odd, of course, but well done and something different.

Irish Rover
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Here's our latest viewing - Slum Dog Millionaire. Terrific, but beware that there are some sub titles. Excellent acting and a great story. If it makes it to TV, it's a must see.

uujudy
01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
We just saw Slumdog Millionaire, and highly recommend it. Roger Ebert gave it high reviews and predicted it would receive a best picture Oscar nomination.

Ditto! We walked out of the movie thinking "Best Picture", "Best Cinematography", "Best Director".... :popcorn:

Taltarzac
01-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Did not like Seven Pounds at all even though I am a big fan of Will Smith and Rosario Dawson is a joy to look at on screen.

The movie's characters actions made little sense to me.

There were not that many people in the auditorium either when I saw this movie yesterday at the Rialto here in TV.

twynsmom
01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Didn't care Benjamin Button..Marley and Me on the other hand was a good movie and a real tear jerker. The only down side was we thought they drug out the ending a bit too long.

Taltarzac
01-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I loved Slumdog Millionaire. It is the best movie IMHO I have seen so far from the 2008 movie crop even though there are a number of the major award contenders I have not seen yet like Milk, Frost/Nixon, Doubt, Gran Torino, The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, etc.

MSNPA
01-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah Tal - I just knew you would see Slumdog Millionaire. It was fantastic. This and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button were my favorite movies of 2008. I am now looking forward to The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road. Hope they come to The Villages soon.

Taltarzac
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah Tal - I just knew you would see Slumdog Millionaire. It was fantastic. This and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button were my favorite movies of 2008. I am now looking forward to The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road. Hope they come to The Villages soon.

Seems alot of people agreed with you about Slumdog Millionaire with the results from the Academy Awards from last night, February 22, 2009.

Been watching another odd movie which is quite good called I Served the King of England which has very little to do if anything with English royalty. It just came out on DVD. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284363/