PDA

View Full Version : Star Golf Carts

twiggy
01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
We want to buy a golf cart and have been considering the STAR.
What are the negatives?

Twiggy

Barefoot
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
We tried a test ride in a Star and found it to be bumpy and uncomfortable.
We opted for a Columbia Par Car .. very smooth and comfortable.

jojo
02-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I am researching carts as are many others. My understanding is that Club Cars are aluminum. Someone said that Star Cars are galvanized steel and subject to rust, especially around bolts. Have any Star Car owners experienced this? I am still leaning to the Star because of the option to convert to a 4-seater and the fact that Golf Cart Connection backs them.

Flying Dutchman
02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
We are very pleased with our Star Inline 4 seater. It rides well, can hold 25 mph and we are planning to make it street legal. Far less trouble than with our Club car. Oh yeah, I can go from Spanish Springs to Havana, play 18, return and still have half a charge with lots of oomph.

florlrl
11-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Flying dutchman,

Are you still happy with your Star Cart? I still like that they are more innovative than the other cart manufacturers around town. EZ Go is getting there though. I wish Club Car was quicker on the uptake with making 60 mi batteries also doing their homework on the LSV credit and convertible back seat option.

JohnN
11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
jojo, I talked to Tim at the Golf Cart Connection just a couple days ago.
GCC is no longer a Star dealer, though they'll fix 'em. He says GCC spent more time fixing 'em than they were worth. I'm researching too and haven't heard too much good about Star.

By the way, here is a link for an aftermarker flip seat that connects in the rear to allow for 4 people, or flip it up to use as a standard golfcart. Someone eles on here said it worked pretty darn good.

http://www.jhglobalinc.com/GolfCarsAccessory.htm

jojo
11-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I am very happy with the STAR cart - have had no problems. However, I don't know the story as to why Golf Cart Connections is no longer the dealer. I am pleased with the service I have received from the Star Cart dealership which is located in the same center as GCC.

golfnut
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Negative is they are not American companies, EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha carts (my choice in that order) are made in the USA and have been for 40 years, if you're partial to sending your hard earned money overseas then go with Star or Aero or one of those other foreign manufacturers, not sure how long they've been building golf carts, then again you may be driving a kia or hyundia or one of those other foreign cars in which case you'll probably prefer a chinese cart....to each his own......I prefer American made.....GN

JohnN
11-16-2009, 10:33 AM
florlrl, I agree Club Car needs to be more innovative,

note that Club Car has an LSV now, the Villager 2+2 just announced earlier this month. Also, there is a thread on here where someone modifies the battery tray to allow for a longer range - though I fully think that should be a standard offering too and not some aftermarket thing.

BobKat1
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Negative is they are not American companies, EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha carts (my choice in that order) are made in the USA and have been for 40 years, if you're partial to sending your hard earned money overseas then go with Star or Aero or one of those other foreign manufacturers, not sure how long they've been building golf carts, then again you may be driving a kia or hyundia or one of those other foreign cars in which case you'll probably prefer a chinese cart....to each his own......I prefer American made.....GN

Yamaha is a Japanese corporation so even though their carts are made in the U.S. the profits ultimately go to Japan. A sign of the global economy.

Hyundai (which also owns Kia) makes a lot of their vehicles in the U.S. (S.C.) but is headquarted in S. Korea further blurring the lines.

woolman44
11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Club Car is made in America, by an American company, Ingersol Rand. IR has been a staple of US industry for many many years.
It upsets me to see so many foreign made golf carts and vehicles in TV's!
After going to the new car show in Sumter Landing this past Saturday, I was SO impressed with the fit, finish and overall quality of the Buick's and Cadillac's compared to all the " foreign " cars. Another miss conception laid to rest, the American built cars had better MPG than the " foreign " counterparts!! Lets jump on the band wagon again, and buy and support American made products made by American workers and keep the profits in America!! :coolsmiley: :boxing2: :a040: Knock the foreign stuff dead!!

hdh1470
11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
all i'm going to say is that I bet some people are still happy with their Yugo

golfnut
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
when is the last itme anyone has seen a yugo, in FLA or any other state, i for one have not seen one for 5+ years, and if I ever see another one I hope it's in my rear view mirror....GN

hdh1470
11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
when is the last itme anyone has seen a yugo, in FLA or any other state, i for one have not seen one for 5+ years, and if I ever see another one I hope it's in my rear view mirror....GN

What I meant is some people buy lessor quality because of price and are happy with it

tamike
11-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Yugo's were barely good for scrap parts when new. I know I worked at a dealer that sold them. Now with that in mind......observe how many old Yamaha and Club Cars you see around TV. I am talking about carts that are 10 yrs old and older. Only those 2 company's carts make it past 10 yrs period.
Anything else in my opinion has proven to be a yugo.

otherbruddaDarrell
11-28-2009, 05:58 AM
The rear window defroster was great on a Yugo!
It kept your hands warm while pushing it off the road.:1rotfl:

mrdills
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I just received my new Tomberlin golf cart, look at this one before you buy a new one, I did my home work and its the best one on the market. The best part was the price was right .

mrdills
11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Not to cause any problems but I think if you look at he stuff you buy it sure isn't made in the USA, don't get me wrong but almost all the stuff you buy is made in China or India. China ownes alot of our debts. I love this country but thats the way our government is doing things now. Look at our large car companies like GM and Chrystler they are build and selling lost of cars overseas and our monies are going there.

Bogie Shooter
11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
I just received my new Tomberlin golf cart, look at this one before you buy a new one, I did my home work and its the best one on the market. The best part was the price was right .
Where is it made?

BeachBum1636
03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
All golf carts are Jap/chinese, and most are assembled in the USA. Star is still a new company, but they are improving dramatically. 60 mile range on the 8 - 6V batteries is AWSOME. The 2in1 "Cartvertable" seat is a GREAT idea, and is super easy to manipulate. Best thing to do is ask around, find star owners. Golf Cart Connection LOST their Star franchise, and the new dealer thats in the same plaza are GOOD people. They are expanding, and will soon offer parts and accessories and a full service department.

I invite you to stop in there, and compare!

mrdills
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Bought a Tomberlin last year and love it, check it out before you buy one. I love the LSV concept.

mike barkley
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
me too. im a former ezgo owner and im with mr dills. my e merge is a beauty!!!! i like everything about it. and i can tell you the braking system on these vehicles is second to none!!! you former uaw boys need to get over thinking made in china is a bad thing. just go try one of these out and youll understand where we are coming from. made in china or not!!!

mike barkley
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM

i just purchased a 2010 gmc terrain. got it home and was looking it over and guess what??? on the inside was a sticker showing the info and where it made! not in america????????? it was made by a canadian subsidiary!

NJblue
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
We've had a Star for about a month now. It is too soon to know what its reliability will be. However, in my research I spoke with one of the people who runs one of the AAA-like services for golf carts. I figured who would know better about what breaks down a lot than someone in the business of coming to the rescue. When I asked him what was the cart that presented the most problems, I was surpised by his answer. He said that late model EZ-Gos were one of the most problematic carts. (Perhaps the new AC motor giving them some problems???)

When I asked specifically about Star he said that they had experienced some trouble with them early on, but they seemed to have gotten their act together and they don't really present a relibility problem.

HMLRHT1
03-17-2010, 12:24 AM
But I would bet there are alot more new EZGO out there then there is Star Cars. So you would see more EZGO break downs then you would Star Car.

Barefoot
03-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Bought a Tomberlin last year and love it, check it out before you buy one. I love the LSV concept.

I just googled Tomberlin and the Anvil looks interesting.

What model Tomberlin did you buy? Did you use the dealer in Wildwood?

dcartman
03-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Don't Buy a Star, you will be sorry. Buy American! Trust me I had one. Hard to resell, no one wants them as a trade. Nightmare on 4 wheels. Bought a new EZGO RXV 48v AC Drive. Had a few small problems, but the cart runs outstanding now. Will climb a hill like you would not belive.

mrdills
03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
I bought the E-2 with the larger tires and I bought it in Wildwood. The neat part of Tomberlin is they show you the cart open up at there show room. You can see all the parts, I was impressed no other show room does that.

HMLRHT1
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
how long have u had the EZGO and what were the problems that were fixed. Interested in getting one.

skeogh
04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I ordered a Star cart in the fall of 2009, but because we were out of the country, did not take delivery until this past March. Everything to do with this purchase has been great. I received the income tax credit for 2009, which was one of the prime reasons for buying the Star. Second reason was the convertible back seat. The service has been excellent, they have come by three times for minor adjustments, and we continue to be very happy with the cart itself. Right before leaving for the summer, we took a long ride from the southwest corner of the villages, north to the polo grounds, east along 466, then south again to home. Battery indicator did not even move, so I can believe the 60 mile rating. So, my experience is totally positive.

Vinny
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
It was the only cart that had dual adjustable bucket seats that I saw. My wife can sit back and reach all the pedals. Everyone else suggested blocks on the pedals or separate back rests that she found uncomfortable. The ride seems fine to me and I have larger tires than I see on some other carts. I never feel that it is struggling for power and it is miserly in it's consumption of electricity (48v). For my needs, no golf, food shopping, shopping on 466, doctor visits near Spanish Springs, visiting the town squares, picking up the mail and just cruising around for the fun of it, it is perfect. I just ordered the battery water filling system that makes it very easy to hop off the batteries once a month. It is truly plug and play.

TamLeigh
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
We purchased a Star with cartverible seat last year and have been happy with both the cart and the service from the Electric Car Outlet. Our cart runs great. No problems. From our research, the lines between foreign and US are very blurred. If it is built in the US, they use a lot of foreign parts. For us, we research the product and put our hard earned money into what products are more reliable and have what we want. So far, we haven't been disappointed with the choice.

Vinny
07-04-2010, 11:29 PM
We purchased a Star with cartverible seat last year and have been happy with both the cart and the service from the Electric Car Outlet. Our cart runs great. No problems. From our research, the lines between foreign and US are very blurred. If it is built in the US, they use a lot of foreign parts. For us, we research the product and put our hard earned money into what products are more reliable and have what we want. So far, we haven't been disappointed with the choice.

The availability of the bucket seats (really comfortable) which we bought and the convertable rear seats, which we have yet to buy, made the Star best for our needs. Right now we have no need for two more seats but we have two sets of friends seriously considering moving here (they both retired recently) and if they come down here to live we will get the extra seats.

What I like about the convertable rear seats, if I recall correctly, is that they do not add length which is what I dislike about a convential four seater.

Service has been prompt and great and the cart is quiet. rides well, has seat belts which we like, and so far I have never been past the halfway mark on the power gauge after a week. Right now I charge mine once a week but I could go two weeks between charges if I had to most weeks. My wife is not crazy about the cart as she says it takes too long to get places. I agree but for me it is all about driving slow and enjoying the view. Perhaps since she spends more time as a passenger in our car than I do and therefore gets to look at the passing scenery, she only views the cart as transporation, but for me it allows me to look around and see many things I do not see when I am concentrating on driving a car.

784caroline
07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
WE looked at a resale Star car at the Villages Golf Cart store in LSL (they got it on a trade in) and when I looked at the batteries you could not get to the back refill water cells on 2 of the batteries.

Is this normal.

NJblue
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
WE looked at a resale Star car at the Villages Golf Cart store in LSL (they got it on a trade in) and when I looked at the batteries you could not get to the back refill water cells on 2 of the batteries.

Is this normal.

I just checked my Star and it seems you are right. However, I have the autofill system on mine and nothing could be easier. It took me about 1-2 minutes to connect the system and let gravity do the filling. I believe this can be added in the aftermarket as well.

red tail
11-07-2010, 09:34 AM
:oops:Negative is they are not American companies, EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha carts (my choice in that order) are made in the USA and have been for 40 years, if you're partial to sending your hard earned money overseas then go with Star or Aero or one of those other foreign manufacturers, not sure how long they've been building golf carts, then again you may be driving a kia or hyundia or one of those other foreign cars in which case you'll probably prefer a chinese cart....to each his own......I prefer American made.....GN

Vinny
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Not to cause any problems but I think if you look at he stuff you buy it sure isn't made in the USA, don't get me wrong but almost all the stuff you buy is made in China or India. China ownes alot of our debts. I love this country but thats the way our government is doing things now. Look at our large car companies like GM and Chrystler they are build and selling lost of cars overseas and our monies are going there.

I own part of an international logistics company and am constantly surprised at people's misconception about what is made in America. Getting a made in America label does not mean what it used to. Many American cars are made wholly or in part in Canada and Mexico using specific programs set up between our Governments just for that purpose. On the other hand, many of the Japanese cars are made 100% right here in the good old USA. You have more of a chance getting a 100% made in USA car by buying a Japanese car than you do a US car.

Just recently there was a segment on a TV news show where they removed everything in a couple's home that was not made in the USA. Guess what? When the couple came home their house was empty. After an exhaustive search to find products that did not have foreign components in them, they were left with just a coffee machine. No TV or furniture.

Too many people think that if a company buys three parts in China and then screws them together in a US plant, labels it made in America, it is American made. Then they talk about jobs and money lost by importing goods but have no idea of the number of jobs created in the international transportation industry. Truckers, warehousers, freight forwarders, customs brokers, bonding companies, logistics companies, terminal operators, equipment operators and the list goes on and one. Most Americans are in the dark about international trade and transportation. I know because I have been a licensed Customs House Broker my whole adult life and never ran into one person who knew what that was.

twiceis
04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Coming to the Villages May 1st to get our future retirement home ready for rental. Need a reliable, inexpensive golf cart to purchase the week we're here. Anyone have an idea for us? Would love to have a few options before we arrive...know of someone that has one to sell?

joycenemetz
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Try John @ Affordable Golf Cart Rental

downeaster
04-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Coming to the Villages May 1st to get our future retirement home ready for rental. Need a reliable, inexpensive golf cart to purchase the week we're here. Anyone have an idea for us? Would love to have a few options before we arrive...know of someone that has one to sell?

See my post at :
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38136

jojo
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I saw that I was an early poster in this thread before I bought the STAR cart. Have had it over two years and love it. We bought primarily because of the convertible seat feature. We have had zero problems with it. The new dealer - I think it is Allstar? is very good.