PDA

View Full Version : redsauce

twynsmom
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Hubby and I went to redsauce last night during their soft opening. We were impressed. The service was excellent, our waiter, Jason, was there for our every need, the food was very good and served in a timely manner and most importantly, hot! We shared a cup of Pasta Fagioli and that was very tasty and served piping hot. Hubby had Speghetti and meatballs and said it was very good. I had the Lasagna and that too was very good. The prices are very fair. Our bill including two drinks, was $32. Other than a couple of "bumps" not even worth mentioning, I would say they had a successful opening. :pepper2:

michaelkir
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
We arrived around 6 and the hostess told us about 40 minutes, and at 40 minutes we were being seated. A very good start, I thought! Our waiter came shortly after we were seated and took our drink order of 2 glasses of wine. We ordered Mozzarella and tomatoes at the same time and indicated when he returned with the drinks we would have decided on an entree. 35 minutes later, no drinks, no Mozzarella, no water and no waiter!! Warm bread came and wasn’t bad. Finally the drinks came at about 40 minutes and 10 minutes later the salad. The Riesling was warm, the Mozzarella and Tomatoes was not too good, the tomatoes were green, hard, and had absolutely no taste. I’m thinking a Restaurant called Red Sauce should really know what a decent tomato looks like, my mistake. At an hour and one half no dinner yet, still no waiter. I asked the hostess to send the manager over and although he was at the hostess station she went towards the kitchen??? I got up explained the situation to the manager and asked if he could expedite our meal. He was full of excuses; I told him that was just fine but please get the meal to us. My Rigatoni Bolognese was very bland, virtually no flavor, remember this restaurant is called RED SAUCE. They did however put big chunks of sausage in the Bolognese lots of gristle in these babies, not what I was expecting. My partner had Fettuccini Alfredo with grilled chicken, same issue very bland and the chicken was over cooked to the point of being bitter. Cut them a little slack for being new..sorry these issues run deeper!!! They charge me full price, I expect full service and a good meal! I was truly looking forward to a nice Italian dinner, sadly I was disappointed.

rshoffer
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
We went last evening. No great positives or negatives. One peculiar thing did happen... a gentleman in our party ordered one of their beers on tap. About 20 minutes later he asked the waiter where his beer was and was told, "there's a back-up at the bar????". I'd go back and I suspect the frenetic pace of activity that goes with a new place opening in TV will have passed and things will come together.

zcaveman
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
We arrived around 6 and the hostess told us about 40 minutes, and at 40 minutes we were being seated. A very good start, I thought! Our waiter came shortly after we were seated and took our drink order of 2 glasses of wine. We ordered Mozzarella and tomatoes at the same time and indicated when he returned with the drinks we would have decided on an entree. 35 minutes later, no drinks, no Mozzarella, no water barfand had absolutely no taste. I’m thinking a Restaurant called Red Sauce should really know what a decent tomato looks like, my mistake. At an hour and one half no dinner yet, still no waiter. I asked the hostess to send the manager over and although he was at the hostess station she went towards the kitchen??? I got up explained the situation to the manager and asked if he could expedite our meal. He was full of excuses; I told him that was just fine but please get the meal to us. My Rigatoni Bolognese was very bland, virtually no flavor, remember this restaurant is called RED SAUCE. They did however put big chunks of sausage in the Bolognese lots of gristle in these babies, not what I was expecting. My partner had Fettuccini Alfredo with grilled chicken, same issue very bland and the chicken was over cooked to the point of being bitter. Cut them a little slack for being new..sorry these issues run deeper!!! They charge me full price, I expect full service and a good meal! I was truly looking forward to a nice Italian dinner, sadly I was disappointed.

I would have been gone before the 35 minutes. Just gone. But I would have stopped by the main desk and told them why - loudly. Sorry. That was worst than poor service.

jtdraig
01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I would have been gone after 35 minutes as well. After living here for three and a half years and watching restaurants open, they invariably go through problems, generally kitchen related which flows over to service. I've gotten a bit more charitable and am willing to give these people some time to get it together. Havana is still struggling. I won't post a review until I have been somewhere three times..just a personal policy.

Hancle704
01-30-2009, 11:51 PM
So they had their soft opening and like so many other new restaurants, they don't have it right when they open the door and so many Village people can't wait to try the new place and come away disappointed. Maybe things would work out, if folks waited a few weeks before trying a new place and submitting their "reviews". Unfortunately for the new businesses, first impressions do count and quite often last.

twynsmom
01-31-2009, 12:14 PM
So they had their soft opening and like so many other new restaurants, they don't have it right when they open the door and so many Village people can't wait to try the new place and come away disappointed. Maybe things would work out, if folks waited a few weeks before trying a new place and submitting their "reviews". Unfortunately for the new businesses, first impressions do count and quite often last.

:agree:

jtdraig
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I actually agree with you...I think the key here is that these new restaurants don't seem to understand that they are going to get slammed when they open and, if things don't work out, are immediately hammered in talkofthevillages.com. This creates a difficult situation for them which, of course, is entirely of their own doing. The Villages economic due diligence is different than most other places. I tried to make that point to Crossman but they don't care, they just want to sign a lease. :ohdear:

l2ridehd
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Interesting that you say "like so many other new restaurants, they can't get it right when they open". Read the thread on Red Lobster. They got it right day one because they trained their staff before opening. More places need to take that approach as it takes way to long to get back a lost customer. It is much better to have someone come and have a good experience then start with a bad one. Once you have a good experience, you will be much more tolerant when sometime in the future they mess up.

optimist
02-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Wow! I too would be less than thrilled too were the owner/manager to offer "excuses"! Being a host at Red Sauce, I have heard 99% positive comments re: food/service. The
owners are on the floor nightly and yearn for and work diligently to assure customer satisfaction.

Taltarzac
02-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Wow! I too would be less than thrilled too were the owner/manager to offer "excuses"! Being a host at Red Sauce, I have heard 99% positive comments re: food/service. The
owners are on the floor nightly and yearn for and work diligently to assure customer satisfaction.

The parents of one of the owners (and chefs?) of Red Sauce frequent one of my daily hangouts and it seems like Red Sauce is doing extremely well business wise even in this cold and did train their staff extensively before they opened.

I would just give it time to get off the ground.

Taltarzac
02-08-2009, 05:03 PM
http://thevillagesgourmetclub.home.comcast.net/~thevillagesgourmetclub/page1.html#R

2catsmeow
02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Was there tonight for the second time - had good experiences both times. Tonight went with neighbors - got there a little after 4:40 - they opened at 4. Were seated right away - but they were filling up fast. Our server greeted us in a timely manner and brought water for the table with her. Really enjoyed the dinner - started with the fried artichokes - arrived quickly and were very tasty - enough for the four of us to have 2 each. Hubby and I split the caeser salad and a lasagna dinner. Plenty of both for us - and no split charge. Might even just split the dinner side salad which was $3 instead of the menu caeser salad which was $6 and was a huge bowl of salad - almost too much. One of our neighbors ordered gnocchi and asked for a different sauce other than what was listed on the menu and they willingly obliged and the other had the lasagna also. Everything arrived hot, tasty and without a long wait. Only good things to say about red sauce – can’t wait to go back and try some of the other items. A pleasant addition to Sumter Landing – hope they can keep up the good work. Only thing missing is happy hour and I am sure that will be coming!

ivy4140
02-11-2009, 07:38 PM

It's so true. The customers need to understand that there are growing pains with starting up new restaurants! Either wait until they are able to get a handle on it, or stop expecting perfection from day 1! :agree:

ivy4140
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Interesting that you say "like so many other new restaurants, they can't get it right when they open". Read the thread on Red Lobster. They got it right day one because they trained their staff before opening. More places need to take that approach as it takes way to long to get back a lost customer. It is much better to have someone come and have a good experience then start with a bad one. Once you have a good experience, you will be much more tolerant when sometime in the future they mess up.
Quite a few people have bad opinions of Red Lobster too, whether or not the post them on TOTV. :icon_hungry:

twynsmom
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Hubby and I went to redsauce last night during their soft opening. We were impressed. The service was excellent, our waiter, Jason, was there for our every need, the food was very good and served in a timely manner and most importantly, hot! We shared a cup of Pasta Fagioli and that was very tasty and served piping hot. Hubby had Speghetti and meatballs and said it was very good. I had the Lasagna and that too was very good. The prices are very fair. Our bill including two drinks, was $32. Other than a couple of "bumps" not even worth mentioning, I would say they had a successful opening. :pepper2:

I stand by my original post. We've been back threre twice since my favorable review and it is still very good.

Mallory
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
We ate there last night around 8 PM. Good service, good food, good price. Well worth going and we'll be back.

chelsea24
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, sounds good to me. I was one that loved Red Lobster too. Quite honestly, we've only had two bad experiences in dining in the 14 months we've been here. One was as Whiskey Creek (Gone!) and the other was at Havana, very bad service and undercooked Salmon. All though I went after that to a luncheon and the food and service were very good.

We are not really picky though. Looking forward to trying Red Sauce. I actually liked Dominic's too! Never had a bad experience there. :smiley:

Muncle
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
First of all, I ain't accusiin' nobody of nuthin'. Recently in another forum, someone suggested that a plethora of negative comments about the place (Havana??) might be the result of some ulterior motives. I make no such claim or innuendo. And lastly I am certainly not denigrating the integrity of new members of TOTV. --- okay, caveats over ---

Anyone else notice that an inordinately high number of recent restaurant "reviews" have been posted by people with 4, 5, 6, or 7 previous posts on TOTV? While most seem to be of the negative variety, some are defensive of the establishments. When Chelsea or Taz with their 9000 previous posts have a comment, that's one thing, but when a person's intro to TOTV is to torpedo a business, it makes me wonder. At least one poster admitted to being an employee of the restaurant, and I could totally understand his/her defense of the place.

Bye the bye, this is not a comment about this thread per se. I've noticed it in other restaurant threads. Maybe, as usual, my mind is off track, but it just struck me unusual, and a bit bothersome. I could, of course, be wrong.

pickleballer
02-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Let me begin this post with the comment - we wanted to like this place, the Villages needs another good Italian restaurant.
A group of 8 went to Redsauce Monday around 5:15. We were seated immediately. Server was attentive however wasn't very helpful when one of the diners asked about the Tomato Tarta...could not explain the dish. He "forgot" to bring us bread. (which was disappointing when it arrived). Requests for water refills were ignored. One of the diners ordered the house salad, but wanted it without dressing because of dietary limitations. The server was questioning why and that he would "have a hard time explaining it to the kitchen. Overall, 3 people had meatballs and spaghetti - rated ok, nothing great, Eggplant parm. - another ok, house salad dressing was rated too sweet, sausage/pepper and onion appetizer was the best dish of the group. Another had the grouper putanesca...nothing to write home about. Mozzarella,tomato and basil salad was also disappointing. We realize this place is new, but I doubt any of us would return for quite a while.

carole131
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
We ate at redsauce on Tuesday night, February 10. We were seated within a few minutes as promised, & the service & food were good. We'd eat there again.

Russ_Boston
02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Anyone else notice that an inordinately high number of recent restaurant "reviews" have been posted by people with 4, 5, 6, or 7 previous posts on TOTV?

I noticed the same thing. I think all reviews should be considered just one man's (woman's) opinion. However I give less credence to those who's only goal seems to be either promoting one restaurant or tearing another down. Sorry but we just don't know them as well yet so we have to take what they say with a grain of salt (food pun intended).

Russ

twynsmom
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I noticed the same thing. I think all reviews should be considered just one man's (woman's) opinion. However I give less credence to those who's only goal seems to be either promoting one restaurant or tearing another down. Sorry but we just don't know them as well yet so we have to take what they say with a grain of salt (food pun intended).

Russ

So if you don't know someone, those opinions shouldn't be taken seriously? And if the unknowns post more than once or twice on TOTV there is an alternative motive?
Maybe some of the unknowns are tired of reading all the negatvie remarks and want to post the positive.

michaelkir
02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Twynsmom, I agree with you on this one. The number of postings a person has should not matter. I only have a few postings but have been reading Talk of the Villages for a good long time. I just don't post my opinion on things unless I think I have something worthwhile to say.
I have posted some very positive things about other service providers in the Villages. My earlier post here was just based on my experience.

Bogie Shooter
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I just don't post my opinion on things unless I think I have something worthwhile to say.
Thats good advice!

chelsea24
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
So if you don't know someone, those opinions shouldn't be taken seriously? And if the unknowns post more than once or twice on TOTV there is an alternative motive?
Maybe some of the unknowns are tired of reading all the negatvie remarks and want to post the positive.

I think the point Muncle and Russ were trying to make is that, in the past, people have joined and posted strictly for their own agenda. Competitive restaurateurs or business owners would post bad reviews or good reviews accordingly. Whichever helped them out the most. I don't think they were picking out anyone in particular, just to be wary of new postings that can damage a new business before it's had a chance. This is a free forum and not hard to join, so just asking to take reviews from newbies, both good and bad, with a grain of salt is a good thing. ;)

Russ_Boston
02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
so just asking to take reviews from newbies, both good and bad, with a grain of salt is a good thing. ;)

That was my point. The newbies may have a valid point but I wouldn't avoid the place based solely on their review since they MAY be a plant. It has happened and it can't be stopped but just be forewarned.

Now if I get a negative report from someone I KNOW is not a plant because I know the person then I take that more seriously. I might still go to the restaurant but if I have a bad experience then I know it is something that may not just be coincidental.

I just said that i give less credence to an opinion from an unknown.

MelZ
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
My policy is to form my own opinion (60's rebel spirit). I had a friend knock the food at a place the wife and I hadn't tried. We do consider ehat we hear but like to form our own opinion.

On one particular day while in LSL she suggested we try the place. Needless to say we both real enjoyed our lunch and will go back often.

Moral of the story is consider all the opinions but make you own informed decision.

:icon_hungry::icon_hungry:

C_Dadeo
02-16-2009, 09:07 PM
)

C_Dadeo
02-16-2009, 09:13 PM

C_Dadeo
02-16-2009, 09:18 PM

C_Dadeo
02-16-2009, 09:23 PM
[.

C_Dadeo
02-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Kellygirl
02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I hope that everyone would make a decision for themselves on where to go to eat. I think that this is a good forum but it should not be the be all or end all of any establishment. Red Sauce just opened. Give them a chance. We were just at Amelia's at the Waterfront after "hearing" they were going to close down. After enjoying our breakfast Ed our server told us that their sales are up over last year and just receieved a successful corporate visit. Go Figure!

chelsea24
03-08-2009, 08:20 PM
We went to Red Sauce tonight with 3 other couples and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. And our waitress was a sweetie! She said they were opening up "The Market" which is just around the corner next to Ambrosia. It will be like an Italian Deli, also have some dinners to heat up at home, and Italian Bakery! I think Red Sauce is a wonderful addition to TV. :coolsmiley:

Halle
03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
:icon_hungry:

An Italian Bakery that is great news, we love Italian Pastries and Breads.

:icon_hungry:

dillywho
03-08-2009, 09:55 PM
First of all, I ain't accusiin' nobody of nuthin'. Recently in another forum, someone suggested that a plethora of negative comments about the place (Havana??) might be the result of some ulterior motives. I make no such claim or innuendo. And lastly I am certainly not denigrating the integrity of new members of TOTV. --- okay, caveats over ---

Anyone else notice that an inordinately high number of recent restaurant "reviews" have been posted by people with 4, 5, 6, or 7 previous posts on TOTV? While most seem to be of the negative variety, some are defensive of the establishments. When Chelsea or Taz with their 9000 previous posts have a comment, that's one thing, but when a person's intro to TOTV is to torpedo a business, it makes me wonder. At least one poster admitted to being an employee of the restaurant, and I could totally understand his/her defense of the place.

Bye the bye, this is not a comment about this thread per se. I've noticed it in other restaurant threads. Maybe, as usual, my mind is off track, but it just struck me unusual, and a bit bothersome. I could, of course, be wrong.

I am not one of those who has 9000+ posts, but I do have my opinion on some things and I thought that is what this site is about. I like to read the posts both positive and negative and then decide on my own. I know that food service is one of the toughest businesses out there. I worked for a company that owned 3 restaurants in the same town. My bosses welcomed feedback both good and bad. That is only one of the ways businesses know what they're doing right and what is wrong and where changes need to occur. From some of what I read in a number of the posts on Havana (yes, I posted one), I saw for myself. We had both good and bad experiences within our group. What we all did agree on was the waitress....she was terrific. My intent was not to "torpedo" the business and I'm sorry if you saw it as such. And yes, I will try them again.

The Great Fumar
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM

I wish someone would pound DADEO on the back , I think he's choked..

might have been the veal.........

fumar

The Great Fumar
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
OK
Here's my two cents , We called for a reservation and six of us went in at prime time , 6:00 oclock.....We were seated immediately , Ordered wine and it was there in 10 minutes. Food was there in 20 minutes . It was hot , delicious and just what we ordered , 5 of the 6 meals was excellent , the 6th wasn't so hot (mine) pizza and I wouldn't order it again......Service was very good .......
On the downside , 6 people in a booth sucks, (as my grandson would say) but the shingles on the roof were very nice , the decor was lovely. (wife) The hostess was beautiful but would not give me her number , (does anyone know what an OLD FOGY is) All in all it was a pleasant experience and we will go back again

however , the Ocean View wasn't all that hot either ...

fumar ..:icon_hungry:

michaelkir
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
So,...back in Jan I posted a not so good review of Red Sauce.
We went back this weekend just to see if anything had improved. Yup!!!! and we were very happy. The reception was prompt and we picked our table. The server was well informed and very accomodating. The food was about 110% better than our first visit. Someone was payiing attention, nice job. I truly hope you can keep up the good work.

KathieI
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Michaelkir, I hope your right and it has nothing to do with the snowbirds being gone.

But we also have had a good recent experience. I believe its after 9pm, they will serve bar food if you come in to eat. The pizza was delicious and the salads were great. There's no cooking at that time other than the pizza's or salads. If this is the case, your right, someone is listening and that's a good sign.

I think I'm correct about the time but if I'm not, someone please correct me. Thanks, kath

Army Guy
06-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Wife and I went and ate there in May and it was fantastic. Quick, good service, food FANTASTIC! Prices just right. We will be back!

Army Guy

JUREK
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Wife and I went and ate there in May and it was fantastic. Quick, good service, food FANTASTIC! Prices just right. We will be back!

Army Guy

Hey army guy we probably met there. We were there about 6 times during the month and we loved their food. Good food and service for sure.:beer3::beer3:

F16 1UB
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Walked in @ 6:45. Seated immediately. Mgr came to the table and said server "John" will be right with us and asked if we wanted a beverage. Brought to us immediately, then bread, then "John". Fantastic service, food great, (Eggplant Parm & Spag & Meatballs) 2 for $20 night. Didn't know it going in. Entree, salad, dessert.... I'm a big eater & couldn't finish spag & mb. Food presentation, taste, restaurant appearance, staff, all great. Will be back.

hernando
07-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Ate at Red Sauce tonight. Had the 2 for $20 special that was advertised in the paper. It was delicious and the service was great. Had the eggplant parm. Highly recommend trying it.

MinnieM
07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
My husband and I also ate at Red Sauce tonight. The 2 for 20 is a great deal. Had to bring home food. Our waiter was Jon. He has to be one of the best servers we have had in any restaurant. Sit in his section and you won't be disappointed.

MinnieM

2catsmeow
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Well it must be a success - they now do the 2fer every night. We tried it for the first time tonight - lasagna, roasted veggies, including focaccia bread and salad. It was wonderful! I work full time and it is sooo nice to have a restaurant meal at home that you only have to heat and eat. Both my husband and I LOVED IT and will definitely try this again. This is a wonderful idea and I hope you all give it a try!

conn8757
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
We had the two for $12.00 lasagne tonight too. I was surprised at the portion size. I think a regular dinner size rather than a luncheon that I expected. I could not cook for that price - what a bargain! Tomorrow is chicken marsala with some kind of pasta, sounds good too.

tpop1
08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Went to market night last night and got caught in the storm.

We decided to eat at Red Sauce......
Food very good.....
Service very good...
Chianti by the glass....almost priceless.....$9 per glass

Since I am accustomed to house wine by the glass being in the $5-6 range, I had a 2nd glass.

When I was paying the bill, I mentioned my surprise at the per glass price to the waitress and she told me she would normally tell a customer the price if a glass of wine was that expensive, but management told them not to!!!!

I am conflicted as to if I'll go back..the food is that good but don't like being taken advantage of. If I go back, I will certainly check the wine list first.

Shirleevee
08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Went to market night last night and got caught in the storm.

We decided to eat at Red Sauce......
Food very good.....
Service very good...
Chianti by the glass....almost priceless.....$9 per glass

Since I am accustomed to house wine by the glass being in the $5-6 range, I had a 2nd glass.

When I was paying the bill, I mentioned my surprise at the per glass price to the waitress and she told me she would normally tell a customer the price if a glass of wine was that expensive, but management told them not to!!!!

I am conflicted as to if I'll go back..the food is that good but don't like being taken advantage of. If I go back, I will certainly check the wine list first.

In very expensive NYC a glass of wine is generally $8.00....they have some nerve!

Taj44
08-22-2009, 05:08 AM
We got nailed for wine at $12/glass in Naples Fl one time. I agree, $9 is ridiculous. Thanks for the heads up!

rshoffer
08-22-2009, 07:08 AM
I agree.... especially when across the street it's "2 for 1" in both places all night.

Sally Jo
08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
I paid $11.00 dollars at Lopez for a glass of wine. It wasn't the house wine. It was Kendall-Jackson. I expected to pay a few dollars more, but not that much.

Lindyb
10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Can anyone tell us about the owners? We here rumor they are from upstate ny & ran italian restaurants there. Looking forward to trying Red Sauce very soon

Helene2008
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I heard they are from Schenectady (not sure)...I am originally from Utica....been to Red Sauce several times and I like it very much. I really should order something different but they make a great sausage and broccoli rabe and I end up ordering it every time. :coolsmiley:

katezbox
10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Owners are from upstate NY. They did operate restaurants there and both are CIA in New Hyde Park grads. It is a great place.

BTW - went to Urban Flats tonight. Was interested in wine prices based on Tpop's comments on Red Sauce. The Cheapest (!!) Pinot Noir was $9.00 glass. The better one was $14. I asked if there was a house wine - it was a Merlot - $4.00 - and not listed on the menu.

Russ_Boston
10-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Glad I'm not a wine drinker!

tpop1
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Owners are from upstate NY. They did operate restaurants there and both are CIA in New Hyde Park grads. It is a great place.

BTW - went to Urban Flats tonight. Was interested in wine prices based on Tpop's comments on Red Sauce. The Cheapest (!!) Pinot Noir was $9.00 glass. The better one was $14. I asked if there was a house wine - it was a Merlot - $4.00 - and not listed on the menu.

Kate,

At least you were smart enough to ask!!:ohdear::ohdear:

21 days and counting

Len

katezbox
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Len.

We are planning to have you and Ann for New Haven style pizza wheh you get here with the rest of the Madison crowd.

Looking forward to it.

PS - if not for you I wouldn't have thought to ask about the wine.....