PDA

View Full Version : Just ate in the world's worst BBQ joint

MelZ
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Heard about a New BBQ joint in NYC the other day. Since I am 1000 mi from the nearest Sonny's I thought I would try it.

Here's what I learned:

Never eat BBQ north of the Mason Dixon Line

even a few adult beverages couldn't make this stuff taste like BBQ

:(:(:rant-rave:

Whalen
01-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Where?
Forewarned is forearmed!
:icon_hungry:

Cinco
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Will be at Sonny's in Belleview tomorrow for dinner with friends. My sympathy to you for being so far from "the real thing."

chuckinca
01-30-2009, 11:13 PM
How does Sonny's Belleview compare to their Leesburg restaurant?

Cinco
01-30-2009, 11:27 PM
When we first moved here, the Sonny's on Hwy. 484 was our favorite. Then we found the one in Leesburg. Only one time did we have a complaint there, but then we found the one in Belleview. To us, Belleview seems brighter and cleaner, although I understand they recently remodeled the Leesburg restaurant.

We've stuck with Belleview, because we, personally, do like the food better there and have a couple of favorite servers (both of whom are hoping to transfer to the new Sonny's at LSL).

The Great Fumar
01-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Heard about a New BBQ joint in NYC the other day. Since I am 1000 mi from the nearest Sonny's I thought I would try it.

Here's what I learned:

Never eat BBQ north of the Mason Dixon Line

even a few adult beverages couldn't make this stuff taste like BBQ

:(:(:rant-rave:

MELZ
NEVER EAT BBQ NORTH OF THE SWEET TEA LINE......I THINK ITS IN THE CONSTITUTION ????

FINGER LICKIN FUMAR ...:icon_hungry:

KayakerNC
01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Here's what I learned: Never eat BBQ north of the Mason Dixon Line even a few adult beverages couldn't make this stuff taste like BBQ:(:(:rant-rave:

Sonny's does good ribs, but it ain't BBQ.
You need to come to Eastern NC for the REAL thing!:pepper2:
http://www.newportpigcooking.com/test.htm

Dirigo
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
When we first moved here, the Sonny's on Hwy. 484 was our favorite. Then we found the one in Leesburg. Only one time did we have a complaint there, but then we found the one in Belleview. To us, Belleview seems brighter and cleaner, although I understand they recently remodeled the Leesburg restaurant.

We've stuck with Belleview, because we, personally, do like the food better there and have a couple of favorite servers (both of whom are hoping to transfer to the new Sonny's at LSL).

We will be arriving at TV three weeks from Tuesday for a Lifestyle Preview. I simply have to have a Sonny's fix ASAP, probably Tuesday evening. Can you give me directions to Sonny's in Belleview, please???

MelZ
02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
take 441 north it will be on your right

golfnut
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
For BBQ ribs I prefer Oakwood, on 441 south of 466 next to the Microtel. I would recommed you try both and let us know what you think...........GN

gemorc
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
For BBQ ribs I prefer Oakwood, on 441 south of 466 next to the Microtel. I would recommed you try both and let us know what you think...........GN

Oakwood only serves baby back ribs. I enjoy the larger "St. Louis" style ribs, slathered in a spicy hot sauce.

gemorc
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Sonny's does good ribs, but it ain't BBQ.
You need to come to Eastern NC for the REAL thing!:pepper2:
http://www.newportpigcooking.com/test.htm

In eastern NC, is the sauce vinegar or mayonnaise based?

Dirigo
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the tip Golfnut...

It must be great to live in The Villages. We have only a couple of joints in Maine that are worth going to...and they are miles and miles away.

Dirigo

Dirigo
02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
take 441 north it will be on your right

How far is that Sonny's from TV?

KayakerNC
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
In eastern NC, is the sauce vinegar or mayonnaise based?

Eastern NC BBQ Sauce :pepper2:

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
* 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
* 1 cup light brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, light brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hours before using as a basting sauce or serving on meat.

MelZ
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Sonny's in Bellview is about 10 miles north on 441, BUT they are opening a store in LSL in the May/June timeframe.

Dirigo
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Sonny's in Bellview is about 10 miles north on 441, BUT they are opening a store in LSL in the May/June timeframe.

Thanks for the directions and distance.

We'll have to check LSL Sonny's out if we come down next year.

Dirigo

Donna
02-04-2009, 02:27 PM

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup salt

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, light brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hours before using as a basting sauce or serving on meat.

Sounds delish!! Thanks Kayaker!:pepper2:

jtdraig
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I beg to differ with the guy who says that there "ain't no good BBQ north of the Mason-Dixon Line"....There is a place called The Cookhouse in (of all places) New Milford, Connecticut that has BBQ so good that I haven't found anything better in almost four years of looking down here. The guy from NYC should check it out and report back...The Cookhouse is on Route 7 north of Danbury.:beer3:

golfnut
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree with jt, there is a place called the Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati that has absolutely fabulous BBQ ribs, top 3 I've ever had, check out their website, just don't do it when you are hungry........GN

MelZ
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I beg to differ with the guy who says that there "ain't no good BBQ north of the Mason-Dixon Line"....There is a place called The Cookhouse in (of all places) New Milford, Connecticut that has BBQ so good that I haven't found anything better in almost four years of looking down here. The guy from NYC should check it out and report back...The Cookhouse is on Route 7 north of Danbury.:beer3:

I'm sure it's wonderful but I'm tired of wasting money on places "that are the best bbq in ............".

I'll just wait till I get back down south where I know where the good eats are.

BBQMan
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
IMHO, Woody's is better than either Oakwood or Sonny's. And yes, they do have a NC style pulled pork sandwich with a vinegar base sauce and slaw. But, the best BBQ I have found in The Villages comes out of my Big Green Egg. Had BBQ brisket tonight. It takes a while to make, but boy is it worth it!

cybrgeezer
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Oakwood only serves baby back ribs. I enjoy the larger "St. Louis" style ribs, slathered in a spicy hot sauce.

Interesting thing, that. I was born and spent my first 37 years in St. Louis, but never heard of "St. Louis-style" ribs until I moved to Florida -- first had them in a Sonny's in Lake City.

zcaveman
05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
St Louis style ribs are cut at the first knuckle. You don't get that upper piece with all the cartilage. Personally I like the full rib over the St Louis cut. You can only get the full ribs in the grocery stores in slabs and cook it yourself. It is also cheaper than the St Louis cut.

Buddy's in Wildwood used to serve the full rib but he closed down. I saw an ad where he sells to go only. I have been meaning to check into that.

Muncle
05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Interesting thing, that. I was born and spent my first 37 years in St. Louis, but never heard of "St. Louis-style" ribs until I moved to Florida -- first had them in a Sonny's in Lake City.

I only lived in St. Louis for 8 years but I had more than my share of ribs --- strangely, coming from KC I was surprised at the lack of BBQ joints in St. Louis. Then my first summer there, I discovered that there was a BBQ cook-out every weekend at a nearby parish or small city/firehouse/whatever so you could always get decent Q at a decent price. Not as good or in such variety as in KC, but better than most other places. But "St. Louis-style" ribs? No way, until I experienced some national chains when I moved East. And I agree with Zcaveman. I'll take the full rib. And BBQMan is right. The creme de la creme is really a good smoked brisket.

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/brisket/c/9/

l2ridehd
05-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Fat Boys in Picayune Mississippi has the best BBQ ever. And the brisket is to die for. Had it about every where. NC, SC, VA, FL, CT, MD, KC, St Louis, and Fat Boys is the best yet. Ribs, both beef and pork, pulled pork, brisket, slaw and fixings. Tiny hole in the wall on rte 11, but if your ever near there, well worth the detour.

chacam
05-05-2009, 05:59 AM
St Louis style ribs are cut at the first knuckle.

Ribs have knuckles ? ? ?

JeanneBeannie
05-05-2009, 06:41 AM

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup salt

DIRECTIONS

Thanks Kayaker!! Sounds like you know your bbq sauce!! I have been looking for a good one recently. I will definitely give this a try, sounds yummy!!
Jeanne :thumbup:

jtdraig
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Hate to disagree but after having lived in the North, South, East, and West and being a lifelong fan of BBQ....there is a place called THE COOKHOUSE on Route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut (Yup, that's right, Connecticut) that is the hands down winner of ANY BBQ restaurant that I have ever tried! I expect incoming from this post but it's true....:beer3:

TrudyM
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Hate to disagree but after having lived in the North, South, East, and West and being a lifelong fan of BBQ....there is a place called THE COOKHOUSE on Route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut (Yup, that's right, Connecticut) that is the hands down winner of ANY BBQ restaurant that I have ever tried! I expect incoming from this post but it's true....:beer3:

I loved theirs too never could figure the spice.

But then I'm from Hawaii what do I know. I'm use to Kow Bee (sp?) and all things based in Soy sauce.

spk7951
06-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Is The Cookhouse in New Milford still open??? We had been to the one in East Hartford a number of times when we lived in CT, and I agree it was very good, but I hear that it closed recently.

jtdraig
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
The one in Norwalk closed and we aren't sure why. The Cookhouse in New Milford is still going gangbusters. I was there not too long ago. The family that owns the Cookhouse also owns The Inn at Newtown but lost a bet in Brookfield on Christopher's which may have stretched their capital funding...another case of expanding too quickly in the face of a recession.:beer3:

MelZ
06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Folks:

As the orginator of this thread I apprecaite your telling me about CT. BBQ. I'm sure it's the worlds best unless your in Texas, KC, The Carolinas or Nashville.

Since I had such bad BBQ up north I am limiting my BBQ to below the Mason Dixon line.

BBQ is the beauty in the taste budds of the beholder chilout

ssmith
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
This restaurant serves BB-Q ribs with a rub. It is very tasty. Also they often serve famous peeps too. We saw Barry Manilow while we were eating there. He was a patron- not working that day. This place I guess is famous and is in a basement that is accessed by a plain door in an alley---very interesting. It was a fun visit there. After dinner you have to go to The Peabody Hotel and see the march of the ducks.