PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water TANKS

Cassie325
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Solar powered hot water tanks...

Or the tankless water system?

We are researching these options and it always helps to hear personal experiences.

Thanks

CTgolfer
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
We are in the process of purchasing a home in Sunset Pointe. During the home inspection, my husband commented to the technician that he was surprised there weren't more tankless water heaters installed in the homes we had looked at. The technician mentioned that because of the high level of minerals, etc. in the water, a tankless system was not recommended.

Cassie325
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I wonder what that means? I don't know enough about the filtration systems of a regular water tank. I am assuming this means there is a filter in the regular tanks?

We have someone coming out in the morning...this will be a question we ask. Thank you for letting me know this....

Would still like to hear experiences....I thought a while back someone on here had a tankless...

faithfulfrank
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
There is not a filter on the "regular" tanks. In the tankless systems, water passes through a much smaller area getting heated almost instantly.....thus the increased potential for mineral deposits hurting the systems.

I have installed both. In the tankless systems, the gas ones are more efficient. They do require a larger gas line...(3/4") The tankless electric require a minimum 200 amp service, since they take three 40 amp breakers....(that is a lot of juice).

Tankless systems cost much more, and parts are sometimes hard to get. I like the space saving aspect of them, but some question the real savings, and the dependability.

They are cool to install...instant hot water...an endless supply. Of course, I've only installed them up north here in basements. They would be just as easy to install in a garage. They require a 7" opening to the outside. I've installed the Takagi brand...but they are all quite similar.

Frank D.

Cassie325
02-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Frank...now I understand! It will be interesting to see what the "sales" person has to say tomorrow.

We have had some family member and renters tell us that if one person takes a 10 minute shower and some one does the dishes or runs the dish washer there is NO more water left for another shower. It is a 40 gallon tank, however it is 9 year old tank.

Do you think that a new 40 gallon tank would be enough or perhaps a 50 gallon? It is a CYV and I personally think that the house is just in need of a new tank? However I am not the mechanical one in the family.

ijusluvit
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Tankless water heating systems are very cool. They save noticeably on gas usage, but with installation costs, they run at least three times the cost of a regular tank.
Also, from my experience with much longer delay in hot water delivery here in TV, I would be even more hesitant about installing a tankless system here. When I put in a top-of-the-line Takagi TK-3 system in my home up north I immediately noticed a significant delay in hot water delivery. That's not a huge problem where water is cheaper and more plentiful, but I think it would be a much bigger problem here.

faithfulfrank
02-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I would tend to believe and lean to what ijustluvit is saying. Those are the same units I installed.

Cassie, you did not say weather your hot water tank is gas or electric.

If gas, has the bottom of the tank ever been drained, to get any accumulated sediment out? It settles on the bottom and creates a barrier between the flame and the water.

If electric, if one element (there are two) burns out, then that one element works twice as hard, and cannot heat up that water efficiently.

Although I've seen some water heaters last 40 years...(really!!) Most have a lifespan of 10-15 years or so. Where there is really bad water, much less. I have a friend who actually replaces them every two years!!

The size depends on the load. how many people? Teenagers count as two:laugh:.....I would think that any house in TV, with usually two people, a 40 gallon would be fine. the newer units, (if you buy a higher priced one) have quicker recovery rates and better insulation....they will be more energy efficient then the older ones.

I'm just not that familiar with the way Florida water is......your cold water is already much warmer then our cold water is up north. having all the pipes under your slab is a bummer...i'm used to basements where I can work on any portion of pipe. It seems to take forever you me to get hot water to my kitchen sink....drives me nuts. I'm not used to that.

My hot water tank in my Florida home is now 15 years old. I'm thinking of replacing it this May when I'm down there with a new one. I want to do it MY way on MY time, rather then having a neighbor call me telling me it is leaking when I'm still up in NY. I also think I will install a small 110/4 or 6 gallon point of use water heater under my kitchen sink so I do not have to wait forever. I wish I could replumb everything down there...I would plumb a return line back to the hot water heater so the continuous loop would give me instant hot water always.......but I'm not going to bust up concrete to do it.

Carrie, let us know how you make out. Hope this info helped.

Frank D.

Cassie325
02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Frank...will you just go over to the villa and fix it? Kidding...I know you would if you were here and if we were still in Fairport you would too!!

However, the sales person and the owner of some major outfit met us at the villa this morning. We had asked that someone come speak to all different types of heaters...

All they wanted to talk about was the solar heater. For $8000.00!! We sent them on their way and within one hour they called us back...quoting $7000 plus $150 gift cards to us for any new customers we sent their way.

We also could get a special financing package and having solar would save us a lot of money! YUK!!! They just seemed way too eager to sell us this system, did not discuss the other two options at all.

So we are thinking we will just go buy the 40 gallon tank at the depot or lowes or sears....and call up a plumber and offer $100-$150 cash to come install. Anyone know a good one?

faithfulfrank
02-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Cassie,
You still do not say if you have gas or electric......

I am not yet familiar with the codes down there.....it is not too difficult of a job to do, especially if you already have unions above the tank, and you get the same size tank.

Remember that if electric, turn off the breakers to the water tank before draining, and when refilling the new tank, remember to completely fill the new tank before turning on the breakers, or you will short out the top element.

Cassie......fly me down for a day or two and I'd be happy to do it....I am SO SICK of winter!! 84 days until our next florida trip.....:ohdear:

Let us know how you make out.

Frank D.

Cassie325
02-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Oops sorry....all electric at the villa.

ijusluvit
02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Cassie,

In comparison to any other hot water source, you would have to live several hundred years to recover the cost of installing a solar water heater in TV. Unfortunately, the technology isn't there yet.

But wait! Let me not be a naysayer! TV is such an enervating place that maybe you should JUST DO IT, continue to hang out, and eventually break even!

(30 miles from faithful frank in ny, but I'm here)

Cassie325
02-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Several 100 years we do not have....

We will just stick with what the developer originally decided to use...just a newer one! :pepper2:

I think that a tankless would work elsewhere in the states....but not here in TV's. As for the solar one.....:shrug: I don't know what the point is...