PDA

View Full Version : Glucose meters

BuckeyeNuts
02-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Hi...quick question...

What is the best Glucose Meter and why?

Herb
02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know which is best, I guess they are probab ly all good. However when buying look carefully at the strips. Handeling, packaging and cost all different. I went from touch type brand to accu check because strips come in a drum and are easy to use. Over the years checking my meters results against hospitals meters were always close to each other. Hope this helps. Herb

k2at
02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I have used two or three different ones and they all perform equally well. Pick your poison. It is like asking do you like Ford or Chevy. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Mikitv
02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
My husband just got a new Accu Check Compact Plus that has a drum to hold the lancets. Easy to use and the deal with Accu Check was a rebate for what we paid for the meter. It seems to be more accurate than his last meter and less painful. Check out their web site.

BuckeyeNuts
03-02-2009, 01:08 AM
My doctor gave me a Bayer Contour meter after I just about got on my knees and begged for one. It works great...but I got a batch of faulty strips at Walmart! One reading with the testing solution was 247! I about had a heart attack the first time I used them before I figured out they were bad. Not old or out of date either...they just don't work right.

That makes me not trust the darn thing now. I did 3 tests in less than 2 minutes and got 3 different readings. 157, 147 and 138. Then I got the last strip from my first batch and it was 115. From 157 to 115 in 3 minutes is pretty drastic. Spent an hour on the phone with Bayer answering about 40 questions, doing tests and checking the meter. They are sending me 50 new strips for free to replace the bad ones. Walmart will not take them back no matter what the reason if they have been opened...

Mikitv
03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
That is the same meter our doctor gave us when husband was first diagnosed with diabetes. He had problems on and off with strips and wondered about the meter too. He noticed when he got the Accu-check that his reading were very different from old meter so he used both meters for about a week and time it with his last lab work. The new meter was more accurate. So it can be meter and or strips. Glad they are going to send you some free ones, because strips and lancets are where they make their money.

Hancle704
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Wife was diagnosed as type 2 several years ago and her Endocrinologist gave her an Accu-Chek Meter. It has proven to be very reliable and the service from the company has been excellent. From simple questions to supplies of daily diaries. When she thought she had a problem, a single call revealed that she had to replace battery ( she thought the battery was in the drum). They also sent her a new meter to have as a back-up at no charge.

So we can't speak about the rest, but she has been very leased with Accu-Chek Meter and the Company's Customer Service reps.

BuckeyeNuts
03-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Thanks to you both for the valuable real life info.

I don't want to use something that I don't trust. But I have 100 strips for this darn thing...looks like I am stuck with it for awhile...unless it accidentally get smashed into tiny little pieces...:MOJE_whot:

I will check out the model suggested. Thanks.

dadspet
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Consumers union Mag rated them last year Sept 2008 and its available at the Library on 466. They said > Best glucose meters: 1 One Touch $20 2. Ascensia $80 3 ReliOn $9 4 Accu Chek $75 But read the article.

I use a Bayer Breeze 2 and find it convenient since it has uses a disk of 10 so you don't need to put in test strips each time. I also tried two other brands rated better by CU and found the Breeze 2 easier to use. BTW I get the meters free from my doctor - just ask if he has any meters. I guess the mfg make a ton of on the strips/disks.

CU also rated Blood Pressure meters in the same article.