PDA

View Full Version : Hacienda Hills a disappointment.

graciegirl
02-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Our daughter and our grandson are visiting for a few days and we decided to try the restaurant at Hacienda Hills for dinner. I was so surprised at the shoddy appearance as we walked in the door. Although the building has great bones, beautiful tall ceilings with interesting wooden architectural finishes that showed it's once great beginnings, we were greeted with large red Christmas balls at the hostess desk and over her shoulder at the bar were stuck up signs and notices. The wooden tabletops looked dirty and were gummy and needed at least a good cleaning and should have been sanded down and refinished. I ordered the advertised special of Talapia broiled and it was fishy and the mango salsa accompaniment was browning.The mashed potatoes were gummy and we had to ask for tartar sauce which was not good. The coleslaw was the large plastic tub bought in bulk variety. Our youngest daughter had chicken strips which were tough, our other daughter had a Bloody Mary (she said it was not great) and didn't comment on her Eggplant Parmesan. The service was good and the entertainment was excellent.

Somehow I thought that the great cloak of excellence in The Villages would disallow the down at your heels appearance of any place here. The pool looked lovely as we left but had old fashioned strung chairs. I think I heard it was not owned or run by TV, and once we visited it I am sure it is not.

BJ Spencer
02-14-2009, 06:22 AM
My husband and I had lunch there one time too. We were not impressed with it. The ambiance was rather depressing. Needs to be updated.

gemorc
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
6 months ago the same thing was said about Tierra Del Sol. Dirty, poor service, and lousy food. Just add a new owner, who has some pride in his establishment, and witness the results. Try Tierra, it's just down the road, and a whole new experience.

Mallory
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Am I correct in understanding that it's the same person who ran Tierra Del Sol into the ground that's now doing it to Hacienda Hills?

Jullie
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Mallory, you are correct. Current Hacienda management left Tierra and are now running Hacienda into the ground. We used to eat there quite a bit. The last 2 times we were very disappointed. Needless to say we will not go back.

Check out Tierra Del Sol. Pete & Jacquie Tokias are now managing Tierra and they really care what people think. Pete makes the deserts from scratch. The last time we ate there, Pete gave us a free desert with our meal.
I understand they are revising the menu with some greek food too.:icon_hungry:

Thanks, jullie

Mallory
02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Actually we were there (Tierra Del Sol) yesterday for brunch and will be back. Brunch was outstanding. Plan on going back Thursday night for dinner and entertainment with Tomaura.

Restaurant is clean and the wait staff is upbeat.

BarryB
02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank for that info. My daughter and her boy friend are coming to visit in 2 week. Will avoid going to Hacienda Hills for dinner

swrinfla
02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
A small group to which I belong often goes out to eat after our meeting. Since that usually means 6:00pm, it is generally very, very hard to get in anywhere without a long, long wait.

But, we found Hacienda always has immediate seating. I'll agree, however, that the food isn't the best in TV, nor is the service. And, it is undoubtedly the noisiest place in town. I also agree that it's "tired," to say the least.

Many years ago, it was THE upscale place to eat. I'm told folks even dressed up to go there - which is pretty well unheard of, now!

SWR

Irish Rover
02-21-2009, 02:36 PM
It has really been a sad thing to watch Hacienda falling deeper into restaurant oblivian. A few years back (5 or 6), Hacienda had the best seafood buffet that I ever attended - anywhere. The food and service was magnificent. You had to make a reservation and you paid a hefty price, but what an experience. It was by far the best restaurant that TV had and maybe the best ever in TV. TV turned it over to outside management and within a year it began the downward spiral. Let's hope that someone rescues the great old building and turns it into something nice again.