PDA

View Full Version : Garage Floors

lgfuller
08-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Any advice on garage floor treatments. We will be moving down and want to get the garage taken care of before we get too settled and too much stuff to move around to do the job right.
We have 2 car garage with attached golf cart. Thoughts on reliable vendor …..and what my choices are..

Thank you

jchase
08-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Ron Hill, 352-237-9615, 352-484-8739. Professional premium floor.

villagetinker
08-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Please do a search on this site for garage floors, this has been discussed extensively, and you will also find recommendations for people to do the work, which is your second question. In general, I believe you will find the epoxy floors are the most favored, I cannot comment on installers, as I did my own.

long island linda
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Just had ours done by Tim Miller garage floor looks great. We were moving here full time so did it before our stuff came. You need at least four days before you can walk on it and seven before you can drive on it.

Sable99
08-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Tim Miller did my garage floor in May. Beautiful! My long-term renters had just moved out so I had them done while the garage was empty. Like Long Island Linda said, you can't drive on the floor for seven days but Tim gives you the schedule!

jchase
08-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Tim Miller did mine as well. If you want an average floor job he is ok. But it you want the best epoxy garage floor. Spend the extra money and have Ron Hill do it. I wish I would of. It's twice as much money but worth it!

Liebdoc
08-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Absolutely Tim Miller -Tim the Toolman (352) 217-0561

upstate
08-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Steve Kling

vinricci
08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Another vote for Tim

NavyNJ
08-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Tim Miller did mine as well. If you want an average floor job he is ok. But it you want the best epoxy garage floor. Spend the extra money and have Ron Hill do it. I wish I would of. It's twice as much money but worth it!

That's an interesting comparison, but some pics of what twice the price looks like would sure be helpful, especially since Tim's work was first class all the way from the jobs I've seen that he's done, including mine. Without pics to show the difference.....all you've given is just another opinion I think, which is fine....but it would be solid advice with some pics.

DangeloInspections
08-17-2016, 05:06 AM
This is an upgrade that you do not want to skimp on. I see over 400 garage floors a year, and when I walk in I can tell most of the time who did the floor.

I recommend either Tim Miller or Steve Kling. I have never met Steve, but his floors look great. I HAVE met Tim and his floors look great also. Tim is a great guy, honest and reputable.

I have also seen horrible garage floor jobs. Once a bad floor is done, it is very costly to have to grind it off and start over. You can't "fix" a bad floor job. Hot tire pick up is a big problem with inferior jobs. Don't risk it to save $100.

Use a quality person to do the job and use Shark Grip in the clear finish coat.

I did my own garage floors and I know how to do a quality job. One wrong step and you will have a horrible result. I do everything myself...I built my own house, delivered all my own kids, did my own garage floor. If this is not what you do, hire someone who does a quality job.....you will smile everytime you walk in that garage. If you get a bad garage floor job you will frown everytime you walk in there.....life is too short to frown every time you go into your garage. And use Shark Grip.

Frank

golfing eagles
08-17-2016, 06:11 AM

Tim Miller did mine about 2 years ago, it was perfect then and still looks brand new. It's hard to imagine anyone could do ANY better, much less twice as well. All I can say is that if Tim did an "average" job, I hope to shoot an "average" score on the course today, followed by an "average" dinner, and get an "average" return on my investments.

biker1
08-17-2016, 07:29 AM
One of my neighbors had a commercial quality "epoxy like" surface put down at greater cost. He does work on his own (several) cars and apparently felt it was worth the extra money for a more durable surface. Tim Miller did my floor and after 2 1/2 years it is still pristine. I also work on my cars (and golf cart, lawn equipment, and bike) and while I am careful not to throw tools around, I found Tim Miller's epoxy and clear coat to be very durable. I mop it once a month and it looks great.

HoosierPa
08-17-2016, 07:53 AM

Another vote for Tim Miller. He did mine and it is fantastic. I can't imagine how it could be any better than the product Tim used. Don't know why you would ever want to pay double the price.

JoMar
08-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Decrotive Concrete did ours two years ago.....quality work, great people. Looks today like the first day. Search this place and you will find many recommendations but don't do anything until you have physically looked at their work and talked to the owners. Don't ask for customer list from the contractor, ask for all their customers and you pick who you want to see. If you ask for a list you will be maniipulated to those the contractor wants you to see.

Fred R
08-17-2016, 04:00 PM
If you want to roll it yourself, Lowes has a great one step epoxy for about 35 bucks. You can save a TON on money

jchase
08-17-2016, 07:20 PM
I will say it again. If you want an average paint job for your floor Tim Miller does a great job. It's the the epoxy paint you and I can buy at Home Depot. It's great for the average home owner. My neighbor had his done by him after he saw mine. His still looks great. He not rough on his garage. He does great work. But, if your rough on your floor like I am (heavy pickup, always out in my garage working on golf cart etc.) I'm saying spend the extra money. My floor doesn't look like it did when he did it five years ago. It needs to be redone. I'm not saying he did a bad job. Just saying you get what you pay for.

Duckfinger2
08-17-2016, 07:58 PM
Another vote for Tim Miller he is a great person, and does an outstanding job !
There are four brand new homes on our street that have used him and they are all very happy.:wave:

biker1
08-18-2016, 09:03 AM
My estimate is about $250 for materials for my garage: the cost of the epoxy and clear coat.

If you want to roll it yourself, Lowes has a great one step epoxy for about 35 bucks. You can save a TON on money

jebartle
08-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Fred R
08-18-2016, 11:17 AM
My estimate is about $250 for materials for my garage: the cost of the epoxy and clear coat.

I have a 24x24 garage here in Ohio that I redo every other year. The first year I rolled the one step epoxy on it took 2 gallons and ever since then I only need one gallon to cover the floor. I never need to clear coat. I pressure wash it, and roll it on. No fancy design, just a good looking floor that you can wipe things off( oil, grease, whatever) very easily.

If this stuff costs that much down there I'll just bring a couple of gallons with me when I return in late Sept

biker1
08-18-2016, 12:00 PM
That was my estimate for the Sherwin Williams product plus clear coat for a 3-car garage. I don't need to redo it every other year.

I have a 24x24 garage here in Ohio that I redo every other year. The first year I rolled the one step epoxy on it took 2 gallons and ever since then I only need one gallon to cover the floor. I never need to clear coat. I pressure wash it, and roll it on. No fancy design, just a good looking floor that you can wipe things off( oil, grease, whatever) very easily.

If this stuff costs that much down there I'll just bring a couple of gallons with me when I return in late Sept

Fred R
08-18-2016, 02:07 PM
How long did they say the product would last?

tv2016
10-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Another vote for Tim Miller (aka Tim the Toolman). Great garage floor.

Also, Tim's son-in-law, Michael Wright, painted my front porch area (cement). I will ask Michael to paint my back patio when I decide what I want to do in that area. Very reasonable price and excellent job - looks better and easier to keep clean.
352-328-8764

asianthree
10-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Our pre-owned home has a Textured drive and sidewalk. garage and lanai epoxy done, in 2010 by Artisticret. They are an honest company and told us the garage and our lanai did not need any top coat, just the drive and sidewalk. So it's been six years since the original garage was done and still looks brand-new.

PPLEPEU
10-15-2016, 08:51 PM
One more vote for Tim Miller.

A thought about that 5-year-old floor that now needs to be re-done: When Tim did our floor 2 years ago, he applied a commercial clear coat over the epoxy paint. He said that the clear coat was a relatively new step for him and "fixed problems some have with longevity" with some of his floor projects.

I don't know if that's why jchase experienced an 'average' result from Tim. Might be worth asking Tim directly.

Our floor is perfect after 2 years and I'm a car guy that's always working in the garage.

petsetc
10-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Depending on why your doing the garage floor, G-Floor mats are also an easy alternative.