PDA

View Full Version : Pet Screens?

BostonRich
08-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Thinking of moving down and just wondering about the screens that are used in the Bird Cages and Lanais. We have cats and they have pretty much destroyed our standard window screens up here in Boston. One of our cats will be quickly hanging upside down in the bird cages I am sure. Are the screens used there generally a bit stronger or are they the lightweight fiberglass material? I might have to re-screen everything with pet screens. Would appreciate any advice from cat owners out there. Thanks, Richard

Blondesare
08-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I just had my lanai rescreened by Tri-County Screening 352-245-1520 or 352-446-1814 they did a great job with the best pricing. The pet screening is a little darker and thicker than regular screening. So it blocks some more sun and gives more privacy. I also have animals that tear up the previous screens. The pet screen has worked out better than expected. For me well worth the difference in price and peace of mind as I didn't want animals going out or coming in through the screen. Best of luck, Kim

mixsonci
08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I had my lanai glass enclosed, but they also changed the screens to a much better screen. However, my cat does not tear up the screen anyway so it was never a problem. I mostly did it because of all the talk of coyotes etc. She loves the lanai and will stay out there for hours and she has her own pet door to the house so she can run in if there is danger.

villagetinker
08-17-2016, 03:09 PM
I would recommend the pet screening for cats. We have it in the lower section of our lanai and birdcage. We also installed 50% sun reduction screening in the roof section of the lanai to cut down the sunlight, seems to work very well. This was all installed when we had the birdcage built, so I do not have a source of supply or cost information.

maryanna630
08-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Mixonci, can you share who did your cat door? Is it in the sliding glass doors? We have three cats and feel like we are their personal doorman!

villagetinker
08-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Mixonci, can you share who did your cat door? Is it in the sliding glass doors? We have three cats and feel like we are their personal doorman!

Of course you are! We have one, and are up several times to let her in and out. As they say, dogs have masters, and cats have slaves......

mixsonci
08-18-2016, 02:33 AM
I bought my pet door at Home Depot (about $40) and had a handyman install it. Yes, it is in the sliding glass door. However, I have a Designer and my lanai is 28' long, so I have 2 sliding glass doors.
I put the pet door in off the kitchen in the 2 panel sliding door, so now I can't use that door, but I don't need to since I have the 4 panel sliding door off the living room area.
My cat loves it and is constantly in and out all day and night.