PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding climate & humity on various ailments

senior citizen
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
x

Carla B
03-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Dear Senior Citizen:
I can't answer for the 2nd and 3rd ailments you listed, but I do know (for arthritis) that joints feel much worse in a cold, damp climate, especially when the barometric pressure is falling. Thankfully, overall, Florida doesn't have a damp climate compared to some parts of the South. We've lived on the sea or near the sea for the past 12 years and my arthritis never felt so good! I think that will continue to be true inland.

Shirleevee
03-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Living part time in NY, Staten Island to be exact, the humidity and dampness are a major factor in my husbands arthritis problems. He feels much better here in TV, where the humidity is considerably less than where we live in NY. I, on the other hand have SLE.*....and avoid the sun as much as possible. I try to go out either early in the morning or after 4 p.m., times when it is cooler. I use sunscreen at all times and UV protective clothing.

*considered mild at this time, but also have other connective tissue issues

senior citizen
03-08-2009, 02:49 PM
x

senior citizen
03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
x

duffysmom
03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Senior, renting for a few months during the Winter is a great idea. We lived in the Hudson Valley for many years and the humidity was intense with a low cloud cover on many days in the Summer. Not good. Florida is hot and humid in the Summer but the light is incredible. An important factor in my well being. Come on down!!!!

graciegirl
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I feel better here in The Villages than I do in Cincinnati, and I think it is because I am much more active here. I have some Arthritis and it feels the same North and South.

I don't have MS certainly and don't want to make light of it.

I think I read somewhere where research is being done on the common Measles virus, Rubella, being a factor in Multiple Sclerosis. That it somehow reactivates in later life and attacks the nervous system? Has anyone read that?

Lone Traveller
03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I would think the summer heat would sap the strength of somebody with MS.

senior citizen
03-20-2009, 05:29 AM
x

senior citizen
03-20-2009, 05:30 AM
x

senior citizen
03-20-2009, 05:33 AM
x

Talk Host
03-20-2009, 05:43 AM
My wife has relapsing/remitting MS. We moved here from upstate New York. We were fully aware that heat is known to cause exacerbations of MS. However, in her case, the exact opposite happened. Her MS, with weekly injections of Avonex, has been almost a non issue for the past six years. On extremely hot days (one or two a year) she simply stays inside the air conditioning. Otherwise, the sun has been a blessing.

Since we moved here, her MRI lesions have dropped from hundreds to almost none. IN NY there were serious episodes about every two years (even with avonex). In six years here, there has not been one.

Another friend of ours from NY had a mother with MS. The same thing happened to her when she moved from NY to Florida.

Some, so called medical experts have tried to convince us otherwise, but they are full of prunes. This is our case and we know our results.

senior citizen
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
x

ohiogolf
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
For MS patients, heat is commonly a troublesome thing. Heat typically exacerbates the symptoms of MS patients. The MS Society web page offers lots of tips on staying cool along with effective devices for the same. However, that being said, the MS Support Group in TV is excellent and there are a large number of MS patients in TV.

senior citizen
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
x

Sidney Lanier
03-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Senior, renting for a few months during the Winter is a great idea. We lived in the Hudson Valley for many years and the humidity was intense with a low cloud cover on many days in the Summer. Not good. Florida is hot and humid in the Summer but the light is incredible. An important factor in my well being. Come on down!!!!

We are snowbirds from the Mid-Hudson Valley and can confirm the constant relative humidity up north (and not just in the Hudson Valley...). I 'enjoy' osteoarthritis, feel infinitely more comfortable here in central FL (though I wonder if I'd feel the same near the coasts, say, Tampa area or Fort Lauderdale), and I have heard this same comment from many.

Insofar as multiple sclerosis is concerned, we personally know three people who could NOT tolerate the heat (they seem to feel that humidity, while still an issue, is less so than heat) and had to move back north. All three had made an assumption that getting out of northern winters would be a charm, and it certainly wasn't! Then we have friends near though not in TV whose son has MS, and it reached the point where they had to move him to a nursing home here in central FL as they simply couldn't leave him alone in NY. The results are mixed: He is happy to be close by to his parents who provide a lot of the care for him, and he has settled into the nursing home (has a girlfriend, etc. there), but the climate is a killer and his only outdoor time (which he very much misses) is being transported from the nursing home to his parents' home and back, meaning very little time without a/c but enough to add to his discomfort. It's a terrible disease....

The third condition asked about in the original post I'm not familiar with. Hope this helps.

senior citizen
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
x

JeanneBeannie
06-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I have asthma, not terribly but enough where I use three different inhalers and when its hot here in NY I do have to come inside for the air conditioning, but I am sure others suffer more than I do. Anyhoo....I was reading on here about the humidity and was wondering if it is a big problem with people with breathing problems. But I did also read that the heat is good for the aches and pains :coolsmiley:.
I soooo much want to be a frog in TV but I dont want to croak as soon as I get there lol :faint:.
Jeanne :1rotfl:

swrinfla
06-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Jeanne:

I suffer from emphysema. Fortunately, it is not severe enough to make me have oxygen. But, I participate with the Airheads support group (indeed, I'm the VP) many of whom do use oxygen, some 24/7. Almost all of them comment when the humidity makes it more difficult for them.

The positive thing is, I think, that all these folks are active, active, active - like most TV people! Early morning humidity may be harder for them, so maybe they schedule tee times nearer to noon, and avoid those 7:28am times!

I don't think that the humidity is really any worse here than most anywhere else, save Arizona and the high elevations around Denver. I'm willing to bet that your upstate NY (assumed) humidity is no worse than ours here.

Whatever, good luck. And, come meet with the Airheads when you're in TV. We have lots of fun, and you'll learn all kinds of new stuff!

:beer3:

SWR

jjdees
06-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Senior Citizen's posts are blank with only a lower case x at the beginning. What's that all about? Am I the only one experiencing this?

BobKat1
06-06-2009, 03:15 PM
That's what I see too. I just figured they were all deleted for some reason.

champion6
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
It appears to me that on Apr. 13 senior citizen came back and edited each post by deleting the text and replacing it with an "x".

JeanneBeannie
06-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Thank you swrinfla, I am so relieved. Its been humid here the past few mornings so thats what got me to thinking about it. I am sure you are right that NY is just as humid. I'm sorry to hear that you suffer with emphysema.
Thats great to hear about the Airheads Group, what a clever name! I will definitely check into it when I get there. Look forward to meeting you.
Thanks again,
Jeanne

QUOTE=swrinfla;207797]Jeanne:

I suffer from emphysema. Fortunately, it is not severe enough to make me have oxygen. But, I participate with the Airheads support group (indeed, I'm the VP) many of whom do use oxygen, some 24/7. Almost all of them comment when the humidity makes it more difficult for them.

The positive thing is, I think, that all these folks are active, active, active - like most TV people! Early morning humidity may be harder for them, so maybe they schedule tee times nearer to noon, and avoid those 7:28am times!

I don't think that the humidity is really any worse here than most anywhere else, save Arizona and the high elevations around Denver. I'm willing to bet that your upstate NY (assumed) humidity is no worse than ours here.

Whatever, good luck. And, come meet with the Airheads when you're in TV. We have lots of fun, and you'll learn all kinds of new stuff!

:beer3:

SWR[/QUOTE]