PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart taken from Brownwood

DARFAP
08-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Our blue Yamaha gas golf cart was taken, either intentionally or by mistake, this evening from Brownwood across from SAS Shoes. I had the key on me but I guess that wasn't enough. The cart has Detroit Lions logo stickers on it. If you see it, message me on ToTV or contact community watch or Wildwood Police. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kcrazorbackfan
08-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Probably an old person that doesn't realize they took the wrong cart just like the old people that mistakenly took a Kia from the parking lot of a local restaurant. Hope your cart is recovered or returned...... :mad:

Retiring
08-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Probably an old person that doesn't realize they took the wrong cart just like the old people that mistakenly took a Kia from the parking lot of a local restaurant. Hope your cart is recovered or returned...... :mad:

For those of us that have no experience with golf carts: Don’t they use keys? The OP said they had the key in their possession, I assume that’s the GC ignition key. If they do use keys how does one just hop in the wrong cart and go? Curious.

Chi-Town
08-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Those darn Bears fans. Seriously, a lot of Yamaha keys are interchangeable. It happened to me on a lifestyle preview. I hope that's the case and the person comes back for their cart.

RickeyD
08-19-2016, 04:22 AM
If I mistakenly sat in a cart that looked like mine from the outside ( same color, seats, canvas etc ) I would know immediately that it wasn't mine as soon as I plopped my butt inside. You just know, just sayin...
Hope you get it back.

MikeV
08-19-2016, 04:31 AM
Unless you paid extra for a unique key then Yamaha carts have a universal key.

rubicon
08-19-2016, 04:41 AM
Detroit Lions logo dismisses the theory that a person mistakenly took the cart. Yamaha keys like car keys are different, at least i believe they are? If true then they either hot wired the vehicle or pushed it onto a trailer.

One last thought I have seen people roam the parking lots at Brownwood aimlessly looking for their cart. OP doesn't give enough info on this ie time of day parking lot crowded or not. etc.

never say never here people have rolled their groceries out to their cars and left with the groceries still in the grocery cart ..seen it over and over. Same with leaving the keys in post office box

Hope OP recovers vehicle

golfing eagles
08-19-2016, 05:09 AM
Unless you paid extra for a unique key then Yamaha carts have a universal key.

Is that true? My understanding was that the "glove compartment" lock was universal but the ignition lock was unique.

alanmcdonald
08-19-2016, 07:20 AM
I don't know about Yamaha, but Club Cars use a universal key. Ours came from Cart World and have a push button code to enter after you turn on they key. One in 10,000 chance of hitting the right code.

dewilson58
08-19-2016, 07:28 AM
If I mistakenly sat in a cart that looked like mine from the outside ( same color, seats, canvas etc ) I would know immediately that it wasn't mine as soon as I plopped my butt inside. You just know, just sayin...
Hope you get it back.

Memory Foam in the seat????

2BNTV
08-19-2016, 07:31 AM
My golf cart has a kill switch installed so if I were to be in a certain place for several hours, I would utilize it.

This might stop someone innocent but if a thief was to take it, they would know they just have to reactivate the kill switch.

I hope you get your cart back and it was an innocent mistake,

John_W
08-19-2016, 07:49 AM
This would be a good investment for Yamaha owners, and it costs less than $20.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-cart-blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Steering-Wheel-Club.jpg

RickeyD
08-19-2016, 07:58 AM

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-cart-blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Steering-Wheel-Club.jpg

Well placed kill switch shows everyone we live in a thief free environment.

Retiring
08-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Those darn Bears fans. Seriously, a lot of Yamaha keys are interchangeable. It happened to me on a lifestyle preview. I hope that's the case and the person comes back for their cart.

I’m doing the Lifestyle Preview next month. I will make sure I know my liability with the provided GC. If I’m on the hook for theft than it will stay in the garage.

Barefoot
08-19-2016, 12:13 PM
My golf cart has a kill switch installed so if I were to be in a certain place for several hours, I would utilize it.

Could someone please explain a kill switch vs. steering-wheel-club?
Or can a golf cart be easily rekeyed so the key lock is unique?

Fraugoofy
08-19-2016, 12:14 PM
I’m doing the Lifestyle Preview next month. I will make sure I know my liability with the provided GC. If I’m on the hook for theft than it will stay in the garage.
I for sure would get out by golf cart and explore The Villages. Theft happens, but not as often we see in other places. I hope the OP gets his cart back or has insurance to cover the cost of a new cart!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Chi-Town
08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Not to worry. In my case when someone took my lifestyle cart instead of their's the sales office just said to use their golf cart and return it when my visit was over. Of course, it was two lifestyle carts, and that probably was the reason for the easy fix. But it still shows how little concern you need when using a lifestyle preview.

Retiring
08-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Not to worry. In my case when someone took my lifestyle cart instead of their's the sales office just said to use their golf cart and return it when my visit was over. Of course, it was two lifestyle carts, and that probably was the reason for the easy fix. But it still shows how little concern you need when using a lifestyle preview.

I just tried to book the Lifestyle package for mid Sept and they’re all booked up. I reserved at the Waterfront Inn, I’ve stayed there in the past and found it ok. I booked a cart at The Villages Golf Cars at LSL. I asked The Villages GC about insurance and was told they cover theft only.

I really am surprised Yamaha doesn’t have a larger key selection. I read years ago the automakers average 26 different keys for each model. When, or if, I buy in TV and get a cart, I will have to remember to ask for a kill switch or keypad.

outlaw
08-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Is that true? My understanding was that the "glove compartment" lock was universal but the ignition lock was unique.

I believe the standard ignition lock is universal on a Yamaha, but depending on where you buy it, some sellers (Carts and Clubs, Ocala?) install a unique ignition lock for security reasons.

Barefoot
08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
When, or if, I buy in TV and get a cart, I will have to remember to ask for a kill switch or keypad.
Does anyone know the cost of having a keypad installed in an old Yesteryear Cart?

graciegirl
08-19-2016, 01:03 PM
///

Diver
08-19-2016, 01:06 PM
If your Yamaha key has the numbers 8000 or 8002 on it it is universal. Club cars also have universal keys but no number stamped on it. Generally if there's only a couple of cuts on it, it is universal. Yamaha has hundreds of different keys in the both the 2 and 3 position switch. A thief would have to have alot of keys and time.

ajbrown
08-19-2016, 01:07 PM
Could someone please explain a kill switch vs. steering-wheel-club?
Or can a golf cart be easily rekeyed so the key lock is unique?

I will try...

They are not related. The 'club' is a physical device that in theory prevents someone from driving off. There are many articles on how easy they are to circumvent; whether someone would circumvent for a golf cart, I dunno?

A kill switch is a switch that must be turned on for the cart to run. When you get out of the cart you switch it off (will not run), when you get back you turn it on.

The trick to a kill switch is how to hide the switch so you can reach it easy and someone cannot find it. They have remotes that can control the switch which is better IMO.

I have read about timer kill switches. These have the same basic premise in that you turn it off when away and on before you leave. The difference the cart will run when it is off, but it will only run for say 15 seconds. At that time the cart will die and the horn will blow. Pretty neat IMO.

It is easy to replace the ignition switch on a cart so that will have a unique key, but I like the remote kill switch myself.

graciegirl
08-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Our blue Yamaha gas golf cart was taken, either intentionally or by mistake, this evening from Brownwood across from SAS Shoes. I had the key on me but I guess that wasn't enough. The cart has Detroit Lions logo stickers on it. If you see it, message me on ToTV or contact community watch or Wildwood Police. Thanks.

I saw the picture of you and your cart on Facebook just now. It may be wise to post it here too.

DARFAP
08-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Was 530pm ish at Brownwood. Not very crowded at all. I think it was stolen.

DARFAP
08-19-2016, 01:37 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160819/c88d7e49dde8e979e1442511f3b4ef9a.jpg

Diver
08-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Check your key number!

Barefoot
08-19-2016, 01:42 PM
I will try...

They are not related. The 'club' is a physical device that in theory prevents someone from driving off. There are many articles on how easy they are to circumvent; whether someone would do that for a golf cart?

A kill switch is a switch that must be turned on for the cart to run. When you get out of the cart you switch it off (will not run), when you get back you turn it on.

The trick to a kill switch is how to hide the switch so you can reach it easy and someone cannot find it. They have remotes that can control the switch which is better IMO.

I have read about timer kill switches. These have the same basic premise in that you turn it off when away and on before you leave. The difference the cart will run when it is off, but it will only run for say 15 seconds. At that time the cart will die and the horn will blow. Pretty neat IMO.

It is easy to replace the ignition switch on a cart so that will have a unique key, but I like the remote kill switch myself.
Thanks AJ for the information.
I'd never remember to activate a hidden kill switch.
I've decided that when we return, I'm getting the ignition switch changed.
Of course, that won't help with the couple of times I've been in a rush and left my keys in the cart.
Luckily we live in a (mostly) honest community.

NECHFalcon68
08-19-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't know about Yamaha, but Club Cars use a universal key. Ours came from Cart World and have a push button code to enter after you turn on they key. One in 10,000 chance of hitting the right code.

I have two Club Cars and the keys are NOT interchangeable.

Rango
08-19-2016, 02:36 PM
///

:clap2:

rubicon
08-19-2016, 03:10 PM
I believe the standard ignition lock is universal on a Yamaha, but depending on where you buy it, some sellers (Carts and Clubs, Ocala?) install a unique ignition lock for security reasons.

bingo! Same with club cars owners. I had my universal key retooled because heft was a common problem here when i first arrived

I bought my cart from Carts and clubs great place to do business

kcrazorbackfan
08-19-2016, 08:42 PM
For those of us that have no experience with golf carts: Don’t they use keys? The OP said they had the key in their possession, I assume that’s the GC ignition key. If they do use keys how does one just hop in the wrong cart and go? Curious.

A LOT of same type carts (Yamaha, Club Car, etc.) use the same key.

kcrazorbackfan
08-19-2016, 08:55 PM
The wife and I saw something unique at Brownwood tonight; a guy in an older Club Car pulled up next to us while we were park watching UBRS; it had on the dash a 5 button keypad with 10 numbers; my wife asked the guy what it was for and he said a 4 digit code had to be entered before the cart would move; he turned the key on and pushed the accelerator down - nothing; entered the code and it starts moving.

Retiring
08-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Five minutes online and I see many replacement keys for sale, Yamaha, club car, etc. There are also many different keypads available. I will be getting a unique key before my new cart leaves the dealership. This is real indicator that TV is fairly safe. The GC key commonality would allow thefts on an epidemic scale. The fact GC thefts are not rampant says a lot of good things about TV.

Amazon.com : (2)Yamaha G14, G16, G19, G22, G29/Drive Gas/Electric Golf Cart Replacement Ignition Keys : Golf Cart Accessories : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Drive-Electric-Replacement-Ignition/dp/B0076Q9J8U)

Golf Cart Keys & Key Switch Parts | BlockbusterGolfCarts.com (http://blockbustergolfcarts.com/ClubCarKeySwitches-Keys.aspx)

Key - Yamaha G11 - G22 (http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=1922M&gclid=CPubg5b7zs4CFU1cfgodcswNpQ)

E-Z-GO Keypad Ignition Kit (http://mrgolfcarts.com/E-Z-GO-Keypad-Ignition-Kit)

The Cart Key (http://www.kctinc.com)

Fraugoofy
08-19-2016, 09:59 PM

I just don't understand why someone would want to steal anyone's cart in the first place, and secondly, I for sure would NEVER steal a Detroit Lions cart. I mean, the Lions have enough issues. I may consider for less than half a second a Packers cart, however (tee hee). Wishing you luck in getting your cart back... sorry this happened to you!

CFrance
08-19-2016, 10:35 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160819/c88d7e49dde8e979e1442511f3b4ef9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900 using Tapatalk
The perfect Lions colors. :thumbup:
I hope you get it back soon

DARFAP
08-20-2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks for all of your good wishes

Bonny
08-20-2016, 07:48 AM
I just don't understand why someone would want to steal anyone's cart in the first place, and secondly, I for sure would NEVER steal a Detroit Lions cart. I mean, the Lions have enough issues. I may consider for less than half a second a Packers cart, however (tee hee). Wishing you luck in getting your cart back... sorry this happened to you!

Okay, does this mean you're Bears fan!! :22yikes: :1rotfl:

Fraugoofy
08-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Okay, does this mean you're Bears fan!! :22yikes: :1rotfl:
I bleed green and gold. Always have, always will! Go Packers!

Bonny
08-20-2016, 08:08 AM
I bleed green and gold. Always have, always will! Go Packers!

:D.

Diver
08-20-2016, 09:56 AM
I urge all of you to check your key number, if it starts with 5000 (Yamaha) you have a unique key. That being said, if someone knowledgeable wants to steal your cart it would only take about a minute to replace the switch.

NoMoSno
08-20-2016, 10:17 AM
If a thief wants your cart, they will get it. No key is required.
Have theft insurance.

RickeyD
08-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Have theft insurance.

Back in the day I owned a '69 Camaro which I planned on restoring. Didn't have a garage at the time and my neighborhood was well...so I smeared heavy grease all over the body and removed the steering wheel. Couldn't afford theft insurance and it wasn't stolen but it there was evidence it was tried. Laughed my ass off thinking how grossed out the potential thieves got !

justjim
08-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Have theft insurance.

This makes sense to me unless you have an older cart that is not worth much.