PDA

View Full Version : It's running much slower

hunt9791
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I had a one year subscription to IYOGI and they helped me fix all types of computer related problems. Worked pretty well but I never learned how to fix the recurring problems such as the computer taking longer everyday to boot up and a slow running computer. Tonight I ran regcure.com and it said I had over 1,000 errors that would cause this problem: Such as empty registry keys-412, file path ref-697 and program shortcuts-157, etc. You can buy their program for about $37 dollars which will fix all these problems. My question is this a good program and will it speed up my HP Pavilion. Is it cost effective? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

chuckinca
03-05-2009, 09:35 PM
More Ram fixes most slowdowns

Use disk cleanup and disk defragmenter often (all programs - accessories - systems tools - ________)

zcaveman
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
If you decide to use a registry cleanup program - be it a freebie or a paid-for program, please be sure to manually back up the registry before you run the program. That way you will have a way to get your registry back to its original status if something hokey happens.

Modifying the registry is not for the beginner. If you do manual changes, you can put the wrong data and put yourself in a bind. If you do it with a program, you do not know everything that the registry cleaner is doing. Use caution and make sure that the registry cleaner lets you look at the deletion before it does it and gives you the option to skip it.

If you (or the program) makes an incorrect change, you could be out of the water without a computer until you can fix what was changed or deleted in the registry.

I use the free CCleaner and it lets me examine every registry deletion and skip the deletion if I am not comfortable with it.

I like CCleaner but am not promoting it. It takes some examining of the deletions that it will do before you decide to use it. It does do a boatload of deletions when it runs but you have to know which options to skip. I found out the hard way in a couple of them. It did not stop the computer but I had a lot of data that had to be keyed in when I went to certain apps.

midstatepc
03-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I had a one year subscription to IYOGI and they helped me fix all types of computer related problems. Worked pretty well but I never learned how to fix the recurring problems such as the computer taking longer everyday to boot up and a slow running computer. Tonight I ran regcure.com and it said I had over 1,000 errors that would cause this problem: Such as empty registry keys-412, file path ref-697 and program shortcuts-157, etc. You can buy their program for about $37 dollars which will fix all these problems. My question is this a good program and will it speed up my HP Pavilion. Is it cost effective? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I looked into the same program for a client one time. I found a free version that I liked as much as regcure.com, so i went with that. I have it available for download from my site. here's the link if you would like to get it. free registry cleaner (http://www.midstatepc.net/whmcs/dl.php?type=d&id=1)

Lately, I've been seeing a malware infestation of antivirus360. It claims to be an antivirus package, but it really is just very annoying. always popping up ads to purchase it, claiming that sites you may visit on a regular basis are infected, and to "protect" you from the site, to purchase their program. It also slows down your internet browsing considerably. I've used Spybot search and destroy to remove it, as well as AVG Free edition. AVG Free edition is what I install on client's computers if they don't have an antivirus package, or theirs is outdated. both programs are good, but like any antivirus / antispyware utility, you need to update them on a regular schedule for them to be effective.
Other things to think of when cleaning up your computer are all the programs that are installed. If there are programs that you installed and don't use anymore, uninstall them. If you have purchased a new printer or all in one machine, uninstall the old drivers and software for the printer it replaced.