PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of Trader Joe"s, Costco...

TimeForChange
08-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Been in TV four years and heard a new rumor about one or both of these stores coming to TV. Shopped at the new large Costco close to Millennium Mall in Orlando on Thursday and it is the largest and greatest one I have been to. Costco makes Sam's Club look like a cheap copy of a Costco.

Bogie Shooter
08-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Rumor's are a dime a dozen.....

NYGUY
08-21-2016, 12:59 PM
....heard a new rumor....

you answered your own question!!

TVMayor
08-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Costco new Locations Coming Soon

WEMBLEY, UK
AUGUST 2016
LAWRENCE TOWNSHIP, NJ
AUGUST 2016
LOUISVILLE, KY
AUGUST 2016
ORLANDO BUSINESS CENTER, FL
AUGUST 2016
FLEMINGTON, NJ
OCTOBER 2016
WATERLOO, ON
OCTOBER 2016
LA VISTA, NE
OCTOBER 2016
HANFORD, CA
OCTOBER 2016
REDMOND, WA
OCTOBER 2016

TimeForChange
08-21-2016, 04:15 PM
:a040:you answered your own question!!

TimeForChange
08-21-2016, 04:17 PM
those are all locations that would have to already under construction.....we still do not know Costco's plans for 2017, unless you do. I spoke with a store manager in Atlanta early this year and he said that TV was being looked at for a store or somewhere close by like Ocala.

Barefoot
08-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Been in TV four years and heard a new rumor about one or both of these stores coming to TV.
Was the rumor that Cosco is coming to TV from a credible source?

2BNTV
08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
The only thing I believe is when I see the ground breaking and the corresponding sign, stating the business being built.

Until then, yada,yada, yada..............

Barefoot
08-21-2016, 05:22 PM
The only thing I believe is when I see the ground breaking and the corresponding sign, stating the business being built. Until then, yada,yada, yada......
:agree: I think lots of rumors are based on wishful thinking.

Mleeja
08-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Was the rumor that Cosco is coming to TV from a credible source?

The landscapers, hairdressers, waitresses, and barbers are realllly well connected.

Barefoot
08-23-2016, 06:16 PM
The landscapers, hairdressers, waitresses, and barbers are realllly well connected.That's what I was thinking. :D
As 2B says, "The only thing I believe is when I see the ground breaking".

kcrazorbackfan
08-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Oh, it'll happen; probably when your grandkids are old enough to become Villagers; by that time, The Villages will take over Ocala and butt up to Orlando 😜.

PTennismom0202
08-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Think of the population base needed to sustain a store the size of Costco. These Costco cities have a million or more people. It's not feasible that they will come to a community of 120,000 seniors (in high season). And most of us don't buy in the quantities they provide nor do we have the storage for it. My husband and I go to Costco in either Orlando or Tampa Bay almost every month because we love their products. We time our airplane travel around it, and some of our health care visits.

Northerner52
08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't think seniors are Costco's best customers. The Sam's club is pretty busy for sure though. The Ocala locations makes more sense.

moosemose
08-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Costco would be fantastic and I hope it happens. However I just found out that a BJs warehouse is being built in Lady Lake I think close to Lowes. That would be nice also but am not sure how it compares to Costco.

Barefoot
08-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Think of the population base needed to sustain a store the size of Costco. These Costco cities have a million or more people. It's not feasible that they will come to a community of 120,000 seniors (in high season). And most of us don't buy in the quantities they provide nor do we have the storage for it.
I think you're bang on. I don't think The Villages has the type of population base Cosco wants. Perhaps in Ocala someday.

Fraugoofy
08-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Think of the population base needed to sustain a store the size of Costco. These Costco cities have a million or more people. It's not feasible that they will come to a community of 120,000 seniors (in high season). And most of us don't buy in the quantities they provide nor do we have the storage for it. My husband and I go to Costco in either Orlando or Tampa Bay almost every month because we love their products. We time our airplane travel around it, and some of our health care visits.

Barefoot
08-23-2016, 11:56 PM
There is a Costco AND a Sam's Club, both in Green Bay, WI. Population of about 120,000...
Wow, good point. Maybe families rather than retirees, many being seasonal residents? Are there other communities close by?

Fraugoofy
08-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Wow, good point. Maybe families rather than retirees, many being seasonal residents? Are there other communities close by?
Not really. Families, yes.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

OpusX1
08-24-2016, 08:18 AM
SAMs club does very well here. It's hard to find a parking spot even in the summer. Costco would do very well here as well since in my opinion it is at least 50 percent more attractive quality wise than SAMs.

ColdNoMore
08-24-2016, 09:14 AM
SAMs club does very well here. It's hard to find a parking spot even in the summer. Costco would do very well here as well since in my opinion it is at least 50 percent more attractive quality wise than SAMs.

:agree:

I would even go as far as saying that those who don't want/can't afford to have two memberships, would soon find out Costco's superiority and only use them.

graciegirl
08-24-2016, 10:13 AM
We had both. Not much difference in my opinion.. Usually favoring one over the other is political and has to do with salaries paid employees.

They both carry amazing seasonal buys that are usually only stocked once. They both have huge buying power. They both have good return policies. One will be superior to the other one season and in relation to what you are looking for and the next season the other will be better.

Welcome to Costco Wholesale (http://www.costco.com/)

SamsClub.com - Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/)

outahere
08-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Costco would be fantastic and I hope it happens. However I just found out that a BJs warehouse is being built in Lady Lake I think close to Lowes. That would be nice also but am not sure how it compares to Costco.

Where did you see that a new BJ's is being built? I couldn't find anything online about that. We joined BJ's when we lived in Mass. and have kept the membership. We go to the store in Clermont, or the one in Melbourne when we go over there to visit our son. We also belonged to Costco, for a year or two, when we lived in Mass., but we like BJ's better (just our opinion).

Allegiance
08-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Sometimes if they have one item you like a lot, that alone is worth membership.

Cooked chicken....hmmm good only 4.99, both sams and Costco are great.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160824/1e270708538d8ce2c1bd2ff7ca669121.jpg

These wraps are great at sams. 100 calories 8 grams of fiber. 20 wraps about $4.89

UpNorth
08-24-2016, 10:26 AM
We have both Costco and Sam's Club memberships. Would prefer Costco somewhat more than Sams if it were closer, but at 40+ miles to Costco thru local traffic, Sams is our choice. Pretty close in price and quality of goods. BJ's, on the other hand, is a poor choice for third IMO. Had plenty of "free" 90-day memberships from them in the past, never bought much else than eggs or bananas from them. Prices were higher, produce quality was terrible. Would not go even if they gave me another membership for free. At least we have a local Sams Club.

OpusX1
08-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Gracie, not political at all. The one thing that separates Costco from all others is that Costco has USDA Prime meat available. I believe that less than 10 percent of the meat available in this country is USDA Prime. It makes a big difference. The only place it's available in the Villages is Fresh Market and they only have 1 or 2 cuts available per month. Plus I personally think Costco is a cleaner store for some reason.

debow
08-24-2016, 12:17 PM
:agree:

I would even go as far as saying that those who don't want/can't afford to have two memberships, would soon find out Costco's superiority and only use them.

I have both but if I had to choose, I feel Costco caters more to the family customer. Sam's caters more to the business but I do like both.

Allegiance
08-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Gracie, not political at all. The one thing that separates Costco from all others is that Costco has USDA Prime meat available. I believe that less than 10 percent of the meat available in this country is USDA Prime. It makes a big difference. The only place it's available in the Villages is Fresh Market and they only have 1 or 2 cuts available per month. Plus I personally think Costco is a cleaner store for some reason.
Costco meats are very good.
I have both but if I had to choose, I feel Costco caters more to the family customer. Sam's caters more to the business but I do like both.
I have both. Slight edge to Costco. But sams has an excellent credit card.
5% gas
3% travel, air, Cruise, hotels etc
3% Resturant,

I think you may need the higher membership to get the card, but then you get 2% back on sams purchases.

The rebates are huge.

HUUUGE

ColdNoMore
08-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Gracie, not political at all.

Agree! :thumbup:

The one thing that separates Costco from all others is that Costco has USDA Prime meat available. I believe that less than 10 percent of the meat available in this country is USDA Prime. It makes a big difference. The only place it's available in the Villages is Fresh Market and they only have 1 or 2 cuts available per month. Plus I personally think Costco is a cleaner store for some reason.

Agree again.

I would also add that it's been my experience that Costco employees are nicer and more helpful in general and the store brand (Kirkland) to be on par with, but less expensive...than many national brands.

Others experience(s) may differ. :D

debow
08-24-2016, 01:10 PM

Agree again.

I would also add that it's been my experience that Costco employees are nicer and more helpful in general and the store brand (Kirkland) to be on par with, but less expensive...than many national brands.

I agree. Costco employees are much more customer focused. Always helpful.

RickeyD
08-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Agree again.

Because the company culture values employees as an asset rather than an expense. Employee turnover is low because they are compensated fairly. Their attitudes are a reflection of this.

graciegirl
08-24-2016, 01:33 PM
You see, I WAS right. :1rotfl: Sooner or later it gets around to politics.

I have gone to both for a long time and the only person that I see regularly in either store is the check out person. It is self serve. Both places. I wouldn't know if they were nice or going to ax murderer classes. Oh and the folks who sell me the hot dogs and the yummy cold yogurt slurpies, I see them, but not long talks or anything. Once in awhile someone will help us unload some big ole something. We always thank them and they say you are welcome and return to the store.

To me it is money. Saving it and getting good value for it. I like Sam's Credit card. I like Costco's Furniture. I like meat at both places. Sam's is here, I'm good.

xNYer
08-24-2016, 01:40 PM
You see, I WAS right. :1rotfl: Sooner or later it gets around to politics.

I have gone to both for a long time and the only person that I see regularly in either store is the check out person. It is self serve. Both places. I wouldn't know if they were nice or going to ax murderer classes. Oh and the folks who sell me the hot dogs and the yummy cold yogurt slurpies, I see them, but not long talks or anything. Once in awhile someone will help us unload some big ole something. We always thank them and they say you are welcome and return to the store.

To me it is money. Saving it and getting good value for it. I like Sam's Credit card. I like Costco's Furniture. I like meat at both places. Sam's is here, I'm good.

Since when does saying their employees are well compensated and turnover low become political?

ColdNoMore
08-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Since when does saying their employees are well compensated and turnover low become political?

I was wondering the same thing. :oops:

I also like Nordstom's for their exceptional customer service. :thumbup:

laryb
08-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Where did you see that a new BJ's is being built? I couldn't find anything online about that. We joined BJ's when we lived in Mass. and have kept the membership. We go to the store in Clermont, or the one in Melbourne when we go over there to visit our son. We also belonged to Costco, for a year or two, when we lived in Mass., but we like BJ's better (just our opinion).

For what it's worth, I asked an associate at BJ's in Clermont about them coming to The Villages, and she told me that someone from corporate that was there told her they were doing traffic studies on Rt 44. Did not ask for her name or ID, just asked about TV. For me, it's: #1 Costco, #2 BJ's, #3 Sam's, with the latter 2 close. Bj's gets #2 because they have a good deli with excellent prices.

skyking
08-24-2016, 02:16 PM
I have had memberships to both Costco and Sams for many years as they don't carry the same things and there is no conveniently located Costco to the Villages. In my experience the staff, the efficiency and service at Costco have been far superior. Also there are many items (more upscale) that are stocked at Costco that never appear at Sams.

graciegirl
08-24-2016, 02:28 PM
The concensus of opinion is that Costco does score higher on customer service and Sam's is a little cheaper.

What I learned that I didn't know before is that Costco is placed closer to more wealthy Suburbs than Sams and they do carry more high end goods.

Here is a pretty good article about both;

Sam's Club vs. Costco Comparison | Cheapism (http://www.cheapism.com/sams-or-costco/#costco-vs-sams-club-a-wholesale-club-showdown)

I am still happy. I tend to be happy. I like Sam's Nathan's Hot dog for a quick lunch when I am shopping and their Angus ground beef is excellent. I bought the things at Costco that I wanted last time I was there and they were bigger THINGS rather than day to day food.

I don't care what either pay their entry level employees. I believe that if you work hard enough you can climb any corporate ladder if you have common sense and the work ethic and don't abuse substances.

Villager Joyce
08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
I think the drive to Costco in altamonte springs is delightful. We go once a month. It is a pleasant ride on 44/441. We plan it around lunch so we can have the infamous hot dog and drink. There are brands we only find at Costco, not SAMs. The fish and meat IMHO are far superior at Costco. Just pack a cooler and go. When it's cooler you can do Costco and trader joes in one trip. Now that is heaven.

JerryLBell
08-25-2016, 07:26 AM
I think the drive to Costco in altamonte springs is delightful. We go once a month. It is a pleasant ride on 44/441. We plan it around lunch so we can have the infamous hot dog and drink. There are brands we only find at Costco, not SAMs. The fish and meat IMHO are far superior at Costco. Just pack a cooler and go. When it's cooler you can do Costco and trader joes in one trip. Now that is heaven.
My wife and I bought a house in TV last year and hope to move there next year. We have a Costco very close by and shop there regularly. The wife also love some particular food items at Trader Joes. With neither in TV, we were planning on packing a cooler and heading for Orlando on a monthly basis and wondered if we were just being weird about these stores. Glad to see we're not alone in our thinking!

RickeyD
08-25-2016, 03:55 PM

Because only a certain class of citizen thinks they are the only ones allowed to make a decent living. All others go suck an egg. Hence, the political.

dewilson58
08-25-2016, 04:02 PM
For what it's worth, I asked an associate at BJ's in Clermont about them coming to The Villages, and she told me that someone from corporate that was there told her they were doing traffic studies on Rt 44. Did not ask for her name or ID, just asked about TV. For me, it's: #1 Costco, #2 BJ's, #3 Sam's, with the latter 2 close. Bj's gets #2 because they have a good deli with excellent prices.

"I ain't as good as I once was,
But I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith

So true, great song.

MikeyBoo54
08-26-2016, 04:56 PM

There is a very successful Costco in East Peoria IL. Th whole MSA in Central IL is only a little over 385,000 residents.

ColdNoMore
08-27-2016, 10:36 AM
While a huge Costco fan, I've never considered using their travel service.

After reading this, I will at least take a look at them next time.

Costco Travel is my new go-to for booking vacations - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-travel-is-my-new-go-to-for-booking-vacations-2016-8?yptr=yahoo?r=UK&IR=T)

"You can buy a vacation through Costco?" I was asked at least a dozen times in recent months.

My answer: yes, and it's incredible.

I only became aware of Costco's travel deals in May, when a friend suggested checking out the warehouse store's website while planning an upcoming vacation. I was amazed by the variety of options, from airfare and hotel deals in Europe to Caribbean cruises. Costco even has a section dedicated to safaris, with options in Botswana and South Africa.

graciegirl
08-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Bonanza?

Aloha1
08-27-2016, 04:08 PM
My wife and I bought a house in TV last year and hope to move there next year. We have a Costco very close by and shop there regularly. The wife also love some particular food items at Trader Joes. With neither in TV, we were planning on packing a cooler and heading for Orlando on a monthly basis and wondered if we were just being weird about these stores. Glad to see we're not alone in our thinking!

When we lived on Maui, a trip to the "mother ship" AKA COSTCO, took an hour there and an hour back. We'd pack the cooler and make a day trip out of it. Maui has a population of only 155,000 but most of the residents tended to be at COSTCO whatever day we chose to go.:smiley:

ColdNoMore
08-28-2016, 06:17 AM
Bonanza?

Since I didn't see that word in the article I linked to, I'll assume that spell-checker got ya and you really meant 'bananas.'

Yes, Costco also sells bananas.

While they are not quite as cheap as Sam's Club bananas (I haven't found anyplace that is), Costco's bananas don't go from dark green to bright yellow...just in the trip home in the car it seems like (slight exaggeration of course :D ).

I buy bananas at Sam's every time I'm there due to the cost being unbelievably low, but have learned to eat them pretty quickly...because I've personally never seen bananas from other retailers turn brown so fast (the non-organic ones).

Super GMO maybe? :shrug:

Bonny
08-28-2016, 06:37 AM
I did hear yesterday from a very reliable source a few stores over by Lowes will be Aldis, Circle K Gas Station & ABC Liquor Store.

thelegges
08-29-2016, 02:18 AM
There must be a new mattress store going by Lowe's.:a20:

EnglishJW
08-30-2016, 02:48 PM

I agree completely. IMO, Costco is a clear number one for a host of reasons many of which have been mentioned already.