PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting

jamblu
09-01-2016, 12:04 PM
I have 2 ceiling fans and dark wicker furniture I would like spray painted. Can any one with experience do this?

Thank you

villagetinker
09-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I have never tried true wicker, if what you have is the plastic (looks like wicker) there are some new spray paints that are SUPPOSED to work well on plastic (PVC). I have no first hand experience. You will probably need to use a pressure washer to clean these prior to painting. Since the wicker tends to move as it is used, I would suspect the paint will chip and wear.

As for the fans, you will probably need 2 paints, one for the blades (wood or plastic), and one for the case (metal). You will need to make sure the fan is VERY clean, as these tend to build up a greasy film. The film must be completely off or you will get an uneven blotchy paint job. I have had this happen a couple of times, and ended up having to sand the item to completely clean it. I would also use a very good petroleum based cleaner prior to painting.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Fraugoofy
09-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I have 2 ceiling fans and dark wicker furniture I would like spray painted. Can any one with experience do this?

Thank you
I spray painted my ceiling fans with Walmart spray paint. Turned out beautiful. If you want to paint wicker I suggest Annie Sloan chalk paint. It is fabulous! You have to go to a speciality store that sells Annie Sloan, but totally worth it!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Waverunner
09-01-2016, 03:59 PM
The new spray paints are marvelous! Paint and primer in one. Works on multiple surfaces. Read the can for the instructions.

I have painted several pieces of furniture. The best suggestions I have to offer are:

Use the paint that has the old type one finger push nozzle (usually cheaper) and buy the comfort grip attachment like Rust-Oleum 241526 Comfort Grip (around $5 and reusable) for full hand grip (or large trigger grip) squeeze application. Your fingers will not get tired and cause uneven application.

Buy twice as much paint as you think you will need and return what you don't use. (The return desk can look at the paint nozzle to see if it has been used.) This way, you do not run out mid-job.

The cap of the paint is the best indicator of final color.

Wear old or disposable gloves. Don't ruin a manicure!

Wear shoes you don't care about, or cover your feet. Socks work too. Don't ruin a pedicure!

Use old flattened boxes or tarps or old sheets to spray your items on. Wait for a day/time that is not windy or breezy. (You will also use more (waste more) paint on a windy day.)

The item should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before starting.

Use painters tape to tape off places you don't want to paint.

Less is more. Spray lightly. Let dry. Spray more, again lightly. Let dry. Do this until you get the coverage you want. Avoid drips this way.

Have old rags or paper towels handy for drips, but remember that every time you use them, you will be roughing up the painted surface. Better to avoid drips (see above).

Spray paint is transformative! Good luck with your projects!

Investment Painting Contractors
09-02-2016, 08:22 PM
The new spray paints are marvelous! Paint and primer in one. Works on multiple surfaces. Read the can for the instructions.

I have painted several pieces of furniture. The best suggestions I have to offer are:

Use the paint that has the old type one finger push nozzle (usually cheaper) and buy the comfort grip attachment like Rust-Oleum 241526 Comfort Grip (around $5 and reusable) for full hand grip (or large trigger grip) squeeze application. Your fingers will not get tired and cause uneven application.

Buy twice as much paint as you think you will need and return what you don't use. (The return desk can look at the paint nozzle to see if it has been used.) This way, you do not run out mid-job.

The cap of the paint is the best indicator of final color.

Wear old or disposable gloves. Don't ruin a manicure!

Wear shoes you don't care about, or cover your feet. Socks work too. Don't ruin a pedicure!

Use old flattened boxes or tarps or old sheets to spray your items on. Wait for a day/time that is not windy or breezy. (You will also use more (waste more) paint on a windy day.)

The item should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before starting.

Use painters tape to tape off places you don't want to paint.

Less is more. Spray lightly. Let dry. Spray more, again lightly. Let dry. Do this until you get the coverage you want. Avoid drips this way.

Have old rags or paper towels handy for drips, but remember that every time you use them, you will be roughing up the painted surface. Better to avoid drips (see above).

Spray paint is transformative! Good luck with your projects!

Wave runner you are right on the money. Len