PDA

View Full Version : Gates removed, no staffing

HMLRHT1
09-01-2016, 04:21 PM
What is this news about gates being removed at entry and exit points of The Villages and no staffing T these locations until further notice

graciegirl
09-01-2016, 04:29 PM
What is this news about gates being removed at entry and exit points of The Villages and no staffing T these locations until further notice

Hurricane.

HMLRHT1
09-01-2016, 04:40 PM
What hurricane? There is barely any wind and no significant rainfall to even match a good thunderstorm.
Seems pretty poor to abandone these locations at a rush hour when there is nothing happening. It's more dangerous for the drivers of carts and cars.

Mallory
09-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Preparation. Prior planning prevents **** poor performance.

alwann
09-01-2016, 05:17 PM

They're gone at Pinellas at BV and at the other end near the shopping center, and the gatehouse is empty. But the gates are up entering Gilchrist. Makes no sense.

Sandtrap328
09-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Just a good precaution. Remember that the gate attendants are retired folk like us just trying to make their $8 per hour. Would you stand out there for FOUR hours for $32?? ...and with the prediction (albeit wrong) of tropical storm wind and rain?

anarick
09-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Just a good precaution. Remember that the gate attendants are retired folk like us just trying to make their $8 per hour. Would you stand out there for FOUR hours for $32?? ...and with the prediction (albeit wrong) of tropical storm wind and rain?

:BigApplause:

Jaggy
09-01-2016, 07:58 PM
about 830 tonite I bet anyone that was out and about was glad they didn't have to open a window to get the gate to open... big big rain...

villagetinker
09-01-2016, 08:11 PM
The last storm which had a power outage, the gates on Pinellas DID NOT OPEN automatically. I am assuming that Community Watch decided just in case to remove or open the gates for this reason. I did get a message from the villages site stating that the gates would be open or the arms removed.
IMHO good idea.

Polar Bear
09-01-2016, 08:25 PM
What hurricane? There is barely any wind and no significant rainfall...

Predictions are never 100% accurate.

We've been under a tornado watch and very near major thunderstorms. I think they did the right thing.

JoMar
09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
What hurricane? There is barely any wind and no significant rainfall to even match a good thunderstorm.
Seems pretty poor to abandone these locations at a rush hour when there is nothing happening. It's more dangerous for the drivers of carts and cars.

There's always at least one.

circletrack
09-01-2016, 08:55 PM

Hurricanes are quite volatile. What if they had done nothing and the storm shifted, resulting in stronger rain and winds and power outages in our area?

People would be complaining about how they were so ill prepared. What were they thinking?! There was no plan!

pooh
09-01-2016, 09:29 PM
We are on the right side of the storm and weather on that side can be very unpredictable and potentially dangerous....tornados can spring up. Had a tornado warning tonight, strong wind, rain and two cell phones, one iPad and a weather radio blaring take cover alarms. More stuff headed here later tonight. Personally I wouldn't want to be at a gate house with the dangerous weather potential we are experiencing right now, would you? Everyone stay safe.

Inexes@aol.com
09-01-2016, 10:27 PM
about 830 tonite I bet anyone that was out and about was glad they didn't have to open a window to get the gate to open... big big rain...

Just FYI................... you don't have to open window going thru gates..... reader will read cards thru glass.......

mulligan
09-02-2016, 07:00 AM

I would love to be an attendant that spotted a tornado, then had to jump in my golf cart to drive to suitable shelter. Common sense to send them home and open the gates.

billethkid
09-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Isn't the removal of the gates and the attendants more about keeping traffic moving than the safety of the gate attendent?

I don't know for sure.

I know during lengthy rainy spells (over the last 12 years) the gates have been left in the raised position.

I suspect that the removal of the gate arms is to assure one is not torn away by high speed wind gusts, creating a spearlike missile!?!?

skip0358
09-02-2016, 07:13 AM
That is the procedure that's in place period. Keep the gates open when a major storm is approaching. If you've lived here a while it happens all the time period and it's a good procedure. You'd be ticked off if they weren't removed and the power went out. Why have a worker stand in a booth in last nights mess anyway.

Jaggy
09-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Just FYI................... you don't have to open window going thru gates..... reader will read cards thru glass.......

usually when I don't open the window and swipe the card it decides to not open...it works 1 in 5 times.. maybe i am not close enough or something else is wrong.. ah.. heck.. i used to be blonde..

graciegirl
09-02-2016, 07:26 AM
That is the procedure that's in place period. Keep the gates open when a major storm is approaching. If you've lived here a while it happens all the time period and it's a good procedure. You'd be ticked off if they weren't removed and the power went out. Why have a worker stand in a booth in last nights mess anyway.

Always a sane voice.

And to the OP..
All gates have bars removed. Quite a feat for the crew. Good work ladies and gentlemen.

Bogie Shooter
09-02-2016, 07:38 AM
As usual on TOTV the posts reflect a "damned if they do or damned if they don't".

dave from deland
09-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Always a sane voice.

And to the OP..
All gates have bars removed. Quite a feat for the crew. Good work ladies and gentlemen.I am sure they appreciate your kind remarks.

CFrance
09-02-2016, 07:05 PM
usually when I don't open the window and swipe the card it decides to not open...it works 1 in 5 times.. maybe i am not close enough or something else is wrong.. ah.. heck.. i used to be blonde..
Thank you! I've had that happen so many times (no matter how close I get to the reader) that I've given up even trying. People behind me don't appreciate it.

The people whose cards work from inside the window are lucky ducks!

Rosie1950
09-02-2016, 07:35 PM
since the gates are all for show anyway they should be removed to keep traffic moving safely for residents and emergency vehicles. Why should anyone expect to see a gate attendant when we had tornado watches until 8am. Some people need to get a grip!

Bogie Shooter
09-02-2016, 07:43 PM
since the gates are all for show anyway they should be removed to keep traffic moving safely for residents and emergency vehicles. Why should anyone expect to see a gate attendant when we had tornado watches until 8am. Some people need to get a grip!

Removed for storms or permanently?
With the gates gone the past couple days the safety purpose was very evident. Cars were flying in and out with no regard for carts.

Nucky
09-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Thank you! I've had that happen so many times (no matter how close I get to the reader) that I've given up even trying. People behind me don't appreciate it.

The people whose cards work from inside the window are lucky ducks!

CFrance, our first set of cards didn't work every time. I went back and they replaced both and now they work fine. I must have had the same people behind me. They almost went into orbit. If your in front take your time don't let them rattle you they are not worth your time. As far as taking down the gates...people get paid to make these decisions, let them do their job. Exactly how did this negatively affect anyone?