PDA

View Full Version : How drinkable is the water?

JerryLBell
09-06-2016, 08:10 AM
We bought a house in TV last year and plan on moving to it in a few more months. Our renters decided to have a water filter system installed and wanted to leave it for us. At $20 a month, I wasn't sure if the water really needed an extra level of filtration beyond what was provided by the filter built into the refrigerator. What is the consensus on the drinkability of Villages water? Our house is in the south end. of that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Bogie Shooter
09-06-2016, 08:21 AM
We bought a house in TV last year and plan on moving to it in a few more months. Our renters decided to have a water filter system installed and wanted to leave it for us. At $20 a month, I wasn't sure if the water really needed an extra level of filtration beyond what was provided by the filter built into the refrigerator. What is the consensus on the drinkability of Villages water? Our house is in the south end. of that makes a difference.

Utilities

The District is pleased to be able to serve its customers with a supply of pure and safe water while providing dependable wastewater and storm water services.

Water supply quantities are regulated by the St. Johns Water Management District (Lake County) and Southwest Florida Water Management District (Sumter and Marion County) which have issued consumptive use permits to the four utility companies serving the residents of The Villages. Water and wastewater treatment and distribution are regulated by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

The Utilities serving the residents of The Villages are:
•Village Center Service Area (Lake County and District 1 in Sumter County) is owned by Village Center Community Development District.
•Little Sumter Service Area (District 2, 3 in Sumter County and District 4 in Marion County) is owned by Village Center Community Development District.
•North Sumter County Utility Dependent District (District 5, 6, 7, 8 and a part of District 9 in Sumter County) is owned by North Sumter County Utility Dependent District.

VCCDD Utilities Department is responsible for the operations and management of the water and wastewater treatment systems. The VCCDD Finance Department is responsible for the billing and collection of payment for those services.

If you are unable to find the information you are seeking or have specific questions, please call 352-750-0000 or submit an inquiry or concern by clicking the link found on the front page of the District website, Village Community Development Districts (http://www.districtgov.org).

Rapscallion St Croix
09-06-2016, 08:26 AM
Your renters probably are suckers who fell for a high pressure sales pitch.

Bonny
09-06-2016, 08:37 AM
I always drink water from the tap. I think our water here is very good !

justjim
09-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Because of the temperature the tap water is warm, but other than it is warm there is nothing wrong with the water. Actually, I think our water in TV is better tasting than most other Florida water direct from the tap. My opinion.

TNLAKEPANDA
09-06-2016, 08:49 AM
We had a house filter installed fo $500. It works great and you can tell the difference. It is not a softner... Just three filters. Pure drinking water is very important (not bottled water). You can trust the government if you want but we do not.

laryb
09-06-2016, 09:12 AM
We had a house filter installed fo $500. It works great and you can tell the difference. It is not a softner... Just three filters. Pure drinking water is very important (not bottled water). You can trust the government if you want but we do not.
We have the same filter system from Nova. While I won't say there is anything wrong with our water, and I really don't think there is, there is a noticeable difference in taste and smell. The chlorine smell is gone, it tastes cleaner, and the residue the unfiltered water leaves is less.

pooh
09-06-2016, 09:31 AM
The water here is perfectly fine, however I wasn't thrilled with the taste or smell. I also have a Nova filtration system installed and the water tastes and smells, well, it doesn't smell, it tastes great.

ColdNoMore
09-06-2016, 09:40 AM
I believe the water here is 'safe' to drink.

As for the taste and smell however, it falls woefully short for some of those of us who are used to a better source for public water. That pretty much goes for most of Florida IMHO however...so is not endemic to just The Villages.

You'll just have to make that determination for yourself. :shrug:

NYGUY
09-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Of course the water won't kill you, but the taste and smell may make you wish you hadn't drank it. We went with a Nova whole house filtration system to solve that problem. You can then throw away the filter in the refrigerator.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-systems-311/nova-water-filtrations-68945/

villagetinker
09-06-2016, 10:12 AM

OP, this has been discussed extensively on this site, you can do a search for all of the gory details, but the above comments are good. We installed a Sears water softener (salt), and a Sears whole house filter and have great tasting and SOFT water. Sears, Lowes, and Home Depot all carry combination units now. I periodically test our water for sodium, and there is none. Also no chlorine, and we use much less soap in the laundry, the showers, the sink etc., with the soft water.
You will get lots of opinions, so my suggestion, move in, try the water. If your system has a bypass, use it and try the water. Then talk to your neighbors, try their water. Then and only then decide what you want to do.
Also, you MAY get inundated by the water filter sales people. According to some of them the water is unsafe to do anything. This is NOT true. My suggestion do NOT but a system from anyone that comes to your door.
Hope this helps.

Bonny
09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
We have been here 16 & 1/2 years. We have always drank tap water and have never had a water filter. Like some say, you have to try it first and then decide. :)

Retiring
09-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Of course the water won't kill you, but the taste and smell may make you wish you hadn't drank it. We went with a Nova whole house filtration system to solve that problem. You can then throw away the filter in the refrigerator.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-systems-311/nova-water-filtrations-68945/

We're you happy with Nova customer service? I sent them an email but they never responded. I'll try calling next time. I need to have tasty tap water so getting the best filtration is important to me.

Fred R
09-06-2016, 10:34 AM
This conversation is so funny. When I'm up in Ohio I have a small 2700 cistern and catch my water off the roof. I'm thrilled to have "city water" at my home in TV and drink it all the time. It's clear, clean, and I don't have to worry about a pump giving out in the middle of a shower or the pump freezing in winter. I had a guy try to sell me a water softening system one time and part of his sales pitch was telling me how I would save money on laundry detergent. Hell, I figured it out and I would have to wash clothes until I was 151 yrs old before it paid for itself. To each their own I guess.

pooh
09-06-2016, 10:34 AM
We're you happy with Nova customer service? I sent them an email but they never responded. I'll try calling next time. I need to have tasty tap water so getting the best filtration is important to me.

Send Nova Filtration a PM here on TOTV.

bbbbbb
09-06-2016, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=JerryLBell;1284092]We bought a house in TV last year and plan on moving to it in a few more months. Our renters decided to have a water filter system installed and wanted to leave it for us. At $20 a month, I wasn't sure if the water really needed an extra level of filtration
Hi, this is what we do, this is for information only.

We use a separate water pitcher, filter included, PUR and Brita work fine here.
We do not use a Refrigerator filter, they are expensive they are the money game like print cartridges, on some units the unit will not function properly unless you keep changing that darn expensive filter. On a new unit, a new one in the future, we will not hook up the water, we will not buy a fridge that needs a filter. The water hookup is a great source of a hidden small leak!! And, we find a nice tray of cubes is very convenient and only makes what we need. So it is up to you. bbbbbb
:pepper2:

baustgen
09-06-2016, 10:53 AM
I suggest you wait until you get here to decide. 100,000 plus have 100,000 opinions. We like the water. Rather spend the $20 for a pizza.

HoosierPa
09-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Have a Nova whole house filter installed and you are all good.

NYGUY
09-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Call the number on the website. They were great, and arrived as scheduled.

TNLAKEPANDA
09-07-2016, 08:57 AM
For drinking water we use a system from Berkey.com. To each their own. You could take water from the pond and it would be filtered 100% safe and clean. We don't like sodium or chlorine in our drinking water.

justjim
09-07-2016, 09:29 AM
I suggest you wait until you get here to decide. 100,000 plus have 100,000 opinions. We like the water. Rather spend the $20 for a pizza.

The water is tested. Selling you "something" you don't need is the American way! I agree pizza sounds good.

cquick
09-07-2016, 09:30 AM
I like my Brita filter that I use to fill my tea pot. The water here is pretty hard. I drink the water from my fridge (which has a filter built in that I replace every 6 months) mostly because it's cold.

jojo
09-07-2016, 09:46 AM
We drink tap water or use the refrigerator filter. All tastes good to me. We have been here 8 years and have no need for expensive water treatment.

bonrich
09-07-2016, 10:40 AM
I also had the Nova whole house filter system installed. One time cost,replace 3 filters on a 12 - 15 month schedule. Great product. Our North home is on a well and the water is very good. Villages has a taste and smell we couldn't get used to. Did not want a water softener. Very happy with the results.

JerryLBell
09-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Thanks all for your varied responses! This forum never lets me down for getting what seems like honest opinions from helpful folks living the good life in TV.

It sounds like we should simply taste the water the next time we're there. If it seems good, then we're done. If not, then go with a water filtration system. If we do go with one, Nova sounds like the most highly recommended. I looked at their information thanks to a link in one of the replies in this thread and it is definitely not what our renters had had installed.

Bavarian
09-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Water taste and smell varies throughout the Villages. Try to bypass the filter for a while and see if good enough for you.

duhbear
09-07-2016, 02:05 PM
The water is safe to drink but in my opinion totally unappetizing as is.

The is a salt water softener that was in our house when we moved it. It makes the water quality much better.

I can't speak to your filter but in my opinion something must be done to the water to make it drinkable and as said before this applies to water all over Florida including the restaurants.

resultgroup1
09-07-2016, 08:20 PM
I fill up gallon jugs with tap water and keep them in the fridge for drinking. This totally removes the chlorine smell and taste (and the water is sparkling clear).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

jimbo2012
09-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I fill up gallon jugs with tap water and keep them in the fridge for drinking. This totally removes the chlorine smell and taste (and the water is sparkling clear).

I understand what you are saying but remember this please, when the water here is disinfected with chlorine there are two byproducts remaining in the water (they are stated on your annual water report) that are just as carcinogenic only a filter like the Nova system can remove them.

Moreover, standing water in the fridge grows bacteria from the particulate mater remaining in the water.

also it is not that clear, if you saw the dirt that the Nova filter removes you would not say that.

resultgroup1
09-07-2016, 10:40 PM
I understand what you are saying but remember this please, when the water here is disinfected with chlorine there are two byproducts remaining in the water (they are stated on your annual water report) that are just as carcinogenic only a filter like the Nova system can remove them.

Moreover, standing water in the fridge grows bacteria from the particulate mater remaining in the water.

also it is not that clear, if you saw the dirt that the Nova filter removes you would not say that.

Please do some research by chemists (and not by the filter companies) and you will find the gases will have evaporated and the water when refrigerated is good for at least a week.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

dminotti
09-08-2016, 09:02 PM
I agree. Coming from NY, Florida water does not take good. Is that why I can't find great pizza?

Brad-tv
09-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I agree. Coming from NY, Florida water does not take good. Is that why I can't find great pizza?

Thats funny but true,its all about the water, My pizza guy in NY told me his brother has the water shipped by rail to Florida. Since his brother has shipped water from NY he has lines out the door.
I hope someone here takes note and does the same :icon_hungry:

2BNTV
09-09-2016, 02:11 PM

I believe the water in NY is better and makes pizza, bagels, and breads taste better. IMHO

I have the Nova filtration system installed and the water taste so much better. I am a big water drinker so it's worth $500. Filters get replaced yearly for about $100, (assuming someone does it for you). They are very heavy when taken off. I find it a lot easier writing a check. :smiley:

Anyone that moves here will be inundated with companies that will try to sell very expensive water systems. They should ashamed of themselves for ripping off people.

jimbo2012
09-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the support my friend

yes those folks are sketchy to say the least, they charge different prices to different people never a published price $2250-$4500

SCasey
09-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Having been spoiled by well water for a very long time, I found the water here to have a strong chemical smell and taste to it. We installed a under-the-sink filter and the water from that is just great.

jimbo2012
09-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve, kinda hard to take a shower in the sink :laugh:

Take a look at the Nova systems (a sponsor)

this is interesting also

Certain contaminants such as chlorine and it's by products (TTHM & Haloacetic acids) are easily absorbed through the skin. Your body absorbs these dangerous contaminants every time you bathe, shower, brush your teeth, drink, or even wash your hands. Refrigerator filters offer a marginal amount of clean water from one location. Not your whole home.

Studies have shown an association between chlorine, its by products and cancer. According to the American Journal of Public Health, “up to 2/3 of the harmful effects of chlorine is due to inhalation, drinking and skin absorption while showering”.

Designed using the latest and best technologies to take care of the multitude of issues. Protect yourself and your family by providing them with healthy, clean, great tasting water from every faucet in your home with affordable, innovative solutions developed by Nova Filtration.

see this thread also

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/nova-filtration-water-filters-209096/?highlight=filter+change

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p641/TheVillagesAV/20160908_131234_zpslkcmklqt.jpg

Bigmomma
09-21-2016, 11:53 AM
I suggest you do your own research.
Everyone has opinions on the matter and they all think they are right.

Mine- The water is horrible. I tested it with our spa test kit and the PH is lower than 7 (neutral) and the chlorine was off the charts. So much so I tested every day for 3 days. It ranged between 2-6ppm of chlorine. HORRIBLE!

It also has heavy metals, and other contaminants in it. Now of course our lovely government who regulates our water makes sure that the water we drink, says those containment levels are "acceptable" for adults.

I personally have a whole house water conditioner for the pipes, plumbing and appliances and a Reverse Osmosis for drinking water. It saves on plastic bottles and I know exactly what I am drinking. Have had the same system in 3 homes for over 28 years. No high pressure sucker here. Just A LOT OF RESEARCH

Bonny
09-21-2016, 11:58 AM
I suggest you do your own research.
Everyone has opinions on the matter and they all think they are right.

Mine- The water is horrible. I tested it with our spa test kit and the PH is lower than 7 (neutral) and the chlorine was off the charts. So much so I tested every day for 3 days. It ranged between 2-6ppm of chlorine. HORRIBLE!

It also has heavy metals, and other contaminants in it. Now of course our lovely government who regulates our water makes sure that the water we drink, says those containment levels are "acceptable" for adults.

I personally have a whole house water conditioner for the pipes, plumbing and appliances and a Reverse Osmosis for drinking water. It saves on plastic bottles and I know exactly what I am drinking. Have had the same system in 3 homes for over 28 years. No high pressure sucker here. Just A LOT OF RESEARCH
I love our tap water. Been here 16 years and have always drank it.

jimbo2012
09-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Bonny, I think you just got use to it.

there is a high chlorine count along with a host of other nasties.

To each his own

petsetc
09-21-2016, 03:19 PM
I grew up in Philadelphia where the water was HEAVILY treated with chlorine and fluorine. Result - I'm old and have great teeth.
We use the tap water for everything (including making coffee) and drink the water out of the refrigerator (filtered). I expect to survive even longer.

Come don, try it, then decide.

New York Transplant
09-21-2016, 04:16 PM
We bought a system and it was the best investment to date! Not only will it add value to your home, you'll end up with an entire house of filtered water which in turn helps your pipes, skin, hair etc, etc. The lead is very high here...

Bigmomma
11-18-2016, 10:31 AM
We bought a house in TV last year and plan on moving to it in a few more months. Our renters decided to have a water filter system installed and wanted to leave it for us. At $20 a month, I wasn't sure if the water really needed an extra level of filtration beyond what was provided by the filter built into the refrigerator. What is the consensus on the drink-ability of Villages water? Our house is in the south end. of that makes a difference.

The water is "safe" by government standards. They make sure the amount of lead, arsenic, nitrates, heavy medals and other chemicals are at a safe level for ADULTS to drink. The Villages also adds ALOT of chlorine. You can test it with a pool test kit and see that the levels are higher than a swimming pool. Typically between 2ppm and 6ppm.

A whole house water softener will help improve the water by removing mineral impurities that cause scaling of your pipes, fixtures, toilets, showers, faucets and all water using appliances. A water filter, such as activated carbon will help remove the chlorine and taste/ odor.

However the best filtration you can buy for your home, would be a reverse osmosis system for your Kitchen sink. That way you know exactly how it is being treated and where. It also reduces the waste of plastic bottles.

I see a few suggestions on some companies to try. I would suggest Kinetico by Central Florida Water.

They installed our system several years ago and we couldn't be happier. No sales gimmicks or high pressure. G

jimbo2012
11-18-2016, 10:35 AM
You may want to go to Polo Grounds show tomorrow, Nova filters will be displaying their filters and can explain the technicalities of how these systems work.

40 years experience thousands less than others.

Nova Filters (http://www.novafiltration.com/)

JerryLBell
11-18-2016, 02:59 PM
You may want to go to Polo Grounds show tomorrow, Nova filters will be displaying their filters and can explain the technicalities of how these systems work.

40 years experience thousands less than others.

Nova Filters (http://www.novafiltration.com/)
Wish I could! I'm heading down on Sunday with a small trailer-load as part of a phased move-in to TV but will not be there this Saturday. Is this something you do regularly?

jimbo2012
11-18-2016, 03:08 PM
No it's an annual event of The Villages, call next week

NotGolfer
11-18-2016, 03:52 PM
The water is fine. That said though...we did invest in a whole house filtration plus softener system, when we moved in. It was mostly for the latter as we like soft water for showering/bathing. I think it's up to the individual on what they want to do.

:welcome:

jimbo2012
11-18-2016, 04:01 PM
I will have the water test results from an independent Lab with us along with the water test from the villages water authority.

Big difference.

photo1902
11-18-2016, 05:14 PM
I love our tap water. Been here 16 years and have always drank it.

Same here. Avoid the hype.

jimbo2012
11-18-2016, 05:20 PM

I had Bob come and install a triple system to my existing water softener that was supposed to be utilized for drinking water also.Well without the Nova installed the water would never have tasted so good. No smell, fresh water, no more bottle water and the customer service is highly professional. Thank you Bob, we feel very comfortable giving you referrals and testimonials.

jsw14
11-18-2016, 06:17 PM
WE make our coffee with tap water every morn'in :)

Fred R
11-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Those of us that have cisterns at our homes in the North always giggle a little at the concerns raised about TV water. It is great compared to cistern water and we survived on it for years.

borjo
11-18-2016, 07:06 PM
I just have a Brita filter on my facet for drinking water. It does take away the chlorine taste. It's a lot cheaper.

Fredman
11-18-2016, 07:48 PM
We bought a house with whole house filtration and I don't think the water tastes any better than regular water

Matzy
11-18-2016, 09:24 PM
The water is fine,we never had a problem. If is there only filtered water in the refrigerator I would ask the renters to take it with them.

jimbo2012
11-19-2016, 07:04 AM
I will have the water test results from an independent Lab with us along with the water test from the villages water authority.

Should have added at the Polo Grounds today 10-4

Two Bills
11-20-2016, 04:57 AM
It is perfectly safe to drink, and if you like the taste and smell of clorine, you will love it!