PDA

View Full Version : Curb Your Dog

LindaB
03-27-2009, 05:16 PM
It is only common courtesy to curb your dog. Take the dog to a common area and pick up after him. if the dog can’t make it he will do his or her business in the street. Control the leash; do not let your dog pull toward your neighbor’s yard.
Remember you are the master. Please be respectful.

F16 1UB
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
what

Barefoot
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
It is only common courtesy to curb your dog. Take the dog to a common area and pick up after him. if the dog can’t make it he will do his or her business in the street. Control the leash; do not let your dog pull toward your neighbor’s yard. Remember you are the master. Please be respectful.

OK then, thanks for the tips.

Ooper
03-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeh.. I guess? :undecided:

nONIE
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
:faint:

KathieI
03-27-2009, 10:40 PM
:agree::ohdear:

Taltarzac
03-28-2009, 07:54 AM
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/around_town/the_scene/Design-NoLibs-Curb-Your-Dog-Signs.html

I agree that responsible dog owners should clean up their dogs' poop. Pee is another matter though and you cannot always get the dog to pee in the street unless perhaps you train it to do this from when it is a puppy.

rshoffer
03-28-2009, 10:13 AM
It is only common courtesy to curb your dog. Take the dog to a common area and pick up after him. if the dog can’t make it he will do his or her business in the street. Control the leash; do not let your dog pull toward your neighbor’s yard.
:agree: Since we live deep in Duval, Maverick sometimes can't make it to a "common area"... however, it didn't take long for him to learn lawns are "NO!!!"... the street is ok if he can't make it.... BTW, I've had dogs my entire life... more loyal and dependable than many friends I've had.... but, this is it... a 110 # lab does not fit in this type of community ....

Bogie Shooter
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
What is a common area??

Ooper
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Common areas are not owned by the individuals... they can include the areas around the postal stations, along the main roads, parks, etc.

Bogie Shooter
03-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Common areas are not owned by the individuals... they can include the areas around the postal stations, along the main roads, parks, etc.
Oh, that's the smell at my postal station.

Taltarzac
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM

...if I would "Please take your dog to pee somewhere else."

I thought maybe this was more than just one person throwing her clout around. From what I can tell though, postal centers still seem to be OK as long as you clean up after your pooch.

Bogie Shooter
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
...if I would "Please take your dog to pee somewhere else."

I thought maybe this was more than just one person throwing her clout around. From what I can tell though, postal centers still seem to be OK as long as you clean up after your pooch.

How do you clean up urine?

784caroline
03-28-2009, 04:18 PM
This post reminds me of "tree huggers" or "tree cutters"....and I have a female pup!!

chuckster
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
A good question from Bogie S. How do you clean up urine? Especially after seeing all the dead and dying vegetation near the postal facilities. Didn't come from frost but constant urine from pets sniffing and "marking" their presence.

Barefoot
03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
The Villages allows two dogs per household. Dog Parks are sorely needed.

BUC
03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Allow fences

lavendera1
03-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Fence would be nice. We do have the dog run but fleas are a problem when you bring the dog there. I really don't mind people walking there dogs but when the owners will not pick up after them I think there should be a fine. Most of the time you know who they are. We pay to have our yard mowed and sprayed I want it to look nice...this is getting hard when all you do is pick up pooo.

Barefoot
03-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Fence would be nice. We do have the dog run but fleas are a problem when you bring the dog there. I really don't mind people walking there dogs but when the owners will not pick up after them I think there should be a fine. Most of the time you know who they are. We pay to have our yard mowed and sprayed I want it to look nice...this is getting hard when all you do is pick up pooo.

The Villages allows two dogs per household. Dog Parks are sorely needed.

Cassie325
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
:sigh: Ah, for the love of cats....I just don't think I could handle the whole dog issue...the walking of the dog outside and then cleaning up the poop all the time. Atleast with a cat....there is only one place they go and it can be scooped up once daily....

I know there are some serious dog lovers on here and I am not saying anything "bad" about dogs...I am just grateful that I prefer cats!
:beer3: Cheers!

Taltarzac
04-12-2009, 08:12 AM

...other kind of bug during the 27 months or so we have been taking our dog there.

The dog run seems to either board or have regular canine clients numbering around 200 or so per week. At least while the snow birds and their dogs are stilll here in TV the numbers at the DDRR are pretty good.

DDRR is only open though from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. so there are other times of the day when a pooch needs to pee and/or poo.

There must be about 10,000 dogs in the TV and the surrounding area that could use the DDRR but do not. Some of the regular clients at the DDRR even come from the Dell Webb communities or from other nearby communities to the Villages.

Some dogs are too aggressive or submissive to come to DDRR but fleas and/or other bugs should not be a problem. The management of DDRR require that the dogs be kept current on shots and other medical treatment.

Responsible Dog Owners
04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
:shrug::shrug:WANT TO KEEP DOGS OFF YOUR PROPERTY? WANT TO KEEP DOGS AWAY FROM THE POSTAL STATIONS OR ON ANY OF THE COMMON AREAS EFFECTING YOU? JOIN US AT THE SAVANNAH CENTER, APRIL 16TH, 2:00PM. This will be the organizational meeting of a Dog Park Focus Group. RDOG (Responsible Dog Owners Group) understands your concerns and we want to help. Dogs in The Villages are a fact! Help us solve the problem by building more dog parks around The Villages for us to socialize our dogs and keep them off the streets and off your property.

BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION

BUC
04-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Allow fences, goood fences make better niebhors

trichard
04-12-2009, 09:42 AM
And responsible smokers should pick up their cigarette butts!

chuckster
04-12-2009, 09:08 PM
And cigar butts littering championship courses.............

Talk Host
04-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Will more dog parks keep Minnie, who lives down the street, from allowing her dog to squat in the neighbors yard? I wonder.

BUC
04-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Fences would keep Minnie down the street from peeing on yards, but nothing can done about the butts on the ground.

BUC
04-13-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm sorry I thought Minnie was the dog, I hope minnie isn't peeing on your yard. That would be a whole different discusion!

JeanneBeannie
04-13-2009, 06:55 AM
I agree with the idea of fences :coolsmiley:. It sure would make my search for a home alot easier, as I find myself looking at the homes that have fences because I have two doggies and it would make life so much easier etc. However, I dont need a big expensive home, I would rather a smaller home, so I will have more money leftover in my retirement to play! :pepper2:. Do you thin TV will ever allow fences in the future? :shrug:

Taltarzac
04-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Will more dog parks keep Minnie, who lives down the street, from allowing her dog to squat in the neighbors yard? I wonder.

...anywhere else I have lived in the US. If you have an inconsiderate neighbor, he or she will probably keep doing whatever it is that annoys you.

Halle
04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree with the idea of fences :coolsmiley:. It sure would make my search for a home alot easier, as I find myself looking at the homes that have fences because I have two doggies and it would make life so much easier etc. However, I dont need a big expensive home, I would rather a smaller home, so I will have more money leftover in my retirement to play! :pepper2:. Do you thin TV will ever allow fences in the future? :shrug:

There are houses for sale in TV with fences in The Village of Hemingway.

http://thevillages.com/homes/vls/detail4.asp?vls=206248

Taltarzac
04-13-2009, 08:39 AM
http://horseartz.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=debbydogs&gallery_id=1499110&curpage=

Funny though that they begin with a dog hopping a fence.

More dog parks in TV though would curb the number of dogs peeing and pooping on private property around TV.

schotzyb
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Tal; Great Pictures. The doggies do love Doggie Doo Run ,don't they?

Responsible Dog Owners
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
In response to the above note mentioning fences in TV. Yes, courtyard villas have fences. Always have. That's not news. You want fences surrounding other properties? Patio villas, ranch, designers? What will they look like? Picket, wood, chain link, as above, fiberglass? Maybe all of the above!!! What color? White, green, brown? Nice. Then TV can look like every other non-restricted neighborhood across the U.S. If you want fences sell and buy somewhere else.

Oh yeah, fences. There are approximately 10 dogs on my street. I can just imagine what the neighborhood would sound like with 10 dogs barracaded in their fenced yards. Sure, they are contained, but not muzzeled! Get real folks. Dog parks are the solution. Dogs in TV are a fact of life and they're not going away. Let's put our heads together and find a viable solution to make everyone happy.

As for Doggy Doo Run Run. An excellent dog park to take dogs for running, socializing and yes, even bathing. But do you really think folks are willing to carry their dogs to DDRR 3 to 4 times a day. Local dog parks are the solution.

Get on board with the Dog Park Focus group, Thursday, April 16th at 2:00pm at Savannah Center.

Halle
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
The house I provided a link to is a Ranch Home not a Villa.

I'm all for more dog parks I was just pointing out that there are already homes to buy with fences.

I feel your response was way off base. Nice attitude.:cus:

I am a Responsible Dog Owner, I have always cleaned up after my dogs and do not allow them to use neighbors yards.

Responsible Dog Owners
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry if I offended you. Please accept my apologies. Sometimes I just get tired of dog owners getting a bad rap just for owning dogs. We're trying very hard to come to an equitable solution for dog owners and non-dog owners alike.

By the way, you are right. That is a ranch home and there are some ranch homes, also designers that have privacy fences at the back, however, I hasten to think the entire property is fenced.

Again, please accept my apologies.:thumbup:

Halle
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
The Villages of Hemingway has a small area with I believe a couple dozen ranch homes with the entire backyard fenced. If there is a positive result to this idea TV may build more houses with fences. It is just one more option for prospective home buyers.

JeanneBeannie
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you Halle for your sweet post and the link to the beautiful ranch house!! That was very thoughtful of you to take the time. Its beautiful and exactly what I was looking for, a nice spot in the yard for the doggies to play and relax in the sun. :a040:. It was a big help as I was getting so confused with all the different areas etc., now I know what area to check out thank you again! I am showing my house again tomorrow, so keeping my fingers crossed so I can come down for a visit.
And thank you Tal for the cool link to the DDDR, loved the pictures and the doggies look like they are having so much fun, they will love it!
"Responsible Dog Owner".....I didnt mean to ruffle feathers, I was merely looking for a nice area for my doggies to chill and have fun, not build chain link, brown or green etc. fences, nor have them bark incessantly. :shrug:
Thanks again Halle and Tal...hope to meet you soon someday :wave:.

Sydney
04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
The Villages of Hemingway has a small area with I believe a couple dozen ranch homes with the entire backyard fenced. If there is a positive result to this idea TV may build more houses with fences. It is just one more option for prospective home buyers.

GRRRR!!!:evil6:

Sydney
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
The house I provided a link to is a Ranch Home not a Villa.

I'm all for more dog parks I was just pointing out that there are already homes to buy with fences.

I feel your response was way off base. Nice attitude.:cus:

I am a Responsible Dog Owner, I have always cleaned up after my dogs and do not allow them to use neighbors yards.

Oops, I mean GRRRRR now. :confused:

katezbox
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
http://horseartz.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=debbydogs&gallery_id=1499110&curpage=

Funny though that they begin with a dog hopping a fence.

More dog parks in TV though would curb the number of dogs peeing and pooping on private property around TV.

Thanks, Tal,

These pics are wonderful. Happy to see some little guys (like my Finley) as well as larger.

Some dogs would be happy to lie in the sun in the yard of a CYV or one of the ranches with a fence. Others, like mine, would be noisy out there - especially with a fence as opposed to a villa wall - so the fences do concern me.

I agree with the RDOG post that dogs are a fact in TV. If we are responsible pet owners, we need to ensure that our pets do not impinge on our neighbor's paradise by excessive noise - not just by going potty inappropriately.

We just closed today. My husband is trying to make the meeting; I am still in SC for another couple of weeks. Dog parks are part of the answer - but they will not eliminate (no pun intended) owners who are not being responsible.

k

Halle
04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
The fence around the Ranch Home is the same type of fence that is around the Courtyard Villas. I really don't understand why that concerns you, unless you assume the dogs will be left unattended just because they have a fence. I have seen many dogs on chains/ropes in their yards that bark everytime someone walks by and others that never make a sound. My dogs are never left unattended even in our fenced yard.

Thanks, Tal,
These pics are wonderful. Happy to see some little guys (like my Finley) as well as larger.

Some dogs would be happy to lie in the sun in the yard of a CYV or one of the ranches with a fence. Others, like mine, would be noisy out there - especially with a fence as opposed to a villa wall - so the fences do concern me.

I agree with the RDOG post that dogs are a fact in TV. If we are responsible pet owners, we need to ensure that our pets do not impinge on our neighbor's paradise by excessive noise - not just by going potty inappropriately.

We just closed today. My husband is trying to make the meeting; I am still in SC for another couple of weeks. Dog parks are part of the answer - but they will not eliminate (no pun intended) owners who are not being responsible.

k

Bogie Shooter
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
How many times a day would a dog owner take their dog to the dog park?

Barefoot
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree that more Dog Parks are required.

We love our fenced courtyard villa, but we also visit Doggie Doo Run Run daily.

Most dog owners in TV are very clean and responsible. It is just a few that give dogs a bad bark.

Barefoot
04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
How many times a day would a dog owner take their dog to the dog park?

We go at least once, and often twice a day.

For a monthly fee of $25, you can go as often as you want. For a monthly fee of $30, you can take two dogs .. we think it is great value!

katezbox
04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
We go at least once, and often twice a day.

For a monthly fee of $25, you can go as often as you want. For a monthly fee of $30, you can take two dogs .. we think it is great value!

Bare,

Love the new pic of Lolli Pup

k

schotzyb
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
We usually go twice a day; early in the mornings while it is still reasonably cool outside and then again late in the afternoon before closing time. Only about a 5-7 minute drive for me.

nONIE
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Bare,

your Lollie is gorgeous, she has a face to die for and I love it when she talks??LOL! Wishing you many happy years with your "new kid on the block!"

BUC
04-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Fences is the only way to go there are restriction for everything yoy can't do whatever you want to your house, so why wouldn't there be restriction on the type of fences allowed. People should be alot more talerate. Dogs bark, Grandkids makes noise and old people are hard of hearing. my point is get over it!!!

One more thing I'll bet my two dogs are alot quieter and better behaved than your grandchidren. I know they are better behaved than mine, I love my Grandkids, but they are loud and messy.

BUC
04-14-2009, 06:35 AM
One more thing I'm all for doggie runs, the more the merrier, but we still need fences. My dogs are like me old and fat, nieter of us would use a playground for dogs.

Bogie Shooter
04-14-2009, 05:04 PM
No fences.

JeanneBeannie
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
In response to the above note mentioning fences in TV. Yes, courtyard villas have fences. Always have. That's not news. You want fences surrounding other properties? Patio villas, ranch, designers? What will they look like? Picket, wood, chain link, as above, fiberglass? Maybe all of the above!!! What color? White, green, brown? Nice. Then TV can look like every other non-restricted neighborhood across the U.S. If you want fences sell and buy somewhere else.

Oh yeah, fences. There are approximately 10 dogs on my street. I can just imagine what the neighborhood would sound like with 10 dogs barracaded in their fenced yards. Sure, they are contained, but not muzzeled! Get real folks. Dog parks are the solution. Dogs in TV are a fact of life and they're not going away. Let's put our heads together and find a viable solution to make everyone happy.

As for Doggy Doo Run Run. An excellent dog park to take dogs for running, socializing and yes, even bathing. But do you really think folks are willing to carry their dogs to DDRR 3 to 4 times a day. Local dog parks are the solution.

Get on board with the Dog Park Focus group, Thursday, April 16th at 2:00pm at Savannah Center.

I have tried for two days to let this go, why it bothers me...I dont know :shrug:. But I have been on this site for quite some time, just posted yesterday or so and got slammed for asking a question about fences. Thank goodness I know there are wonderful people on here....which helped me make my decision to move to TV, but if a new person were to read the sarcastic reply I got yesterday by just asking about fences, I am sure they would have bolted :duck:. In reply to the very rude reply made by the above RDO, I do not need to explain myself, but to the other wonderful folks here...I only asked about fences because I have two precious golden retrievers, and thought a fence would give them some fresh air outside. I would never leave them and go party at the pool, etc. I would put them inside, which they are fine with, and dont bark or cause problems. As per the above rude comment, I was only searching for a home were my dogs would be comfortable and I wouldnt have to worry about them. I would never leave them alone to bark or bother my neighbors. I love the idea of the doggie parks, if I lived there I would be at your meeting. My house is ready to sell, and I am planning on being a year round resident at TV, but I feel the comment made by RDO was totally inappropriate and rude. I am sorry for venting, if I offended anyone I certainly didnt mean to, I really am a nice, quiet, happy person. :girlneener:

Barefoot
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Bare,
Love the new pic of Lolli Pup k

It is always difficult for people unfamiliar with The Villages to accept that only Courtyard Villas have fenced yards (other than a few "experiments" in Hemmingway"). If you have dogs, a CYV will make your life way, way easier. (This is a picture of Lolli in the back yard of our fenced CYV).

Thanks Kate and Nonie, for the compliments on Lolli Pup. It is difficult for us to believe she has had five homes in the past two years. She is a darling and she will never have to worry about being "recycled" again. She is very strong willed, but eager to please and very accepting of learning her boundaries.

And now Obama also has a Portugese Water Dog. His family is in for a real treat! They are wonderful dogs.

Taltarzac
04-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Hope you take her to the Doggie Doo Run Run sometime while I am there with my dog.

JeanneBeannie
04-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Lolli is absolutely adorable! I am sure she is thrilled to finally found a great home. :). The fence in your yard is perfect, just like what we have here. I have looked at so many houses online at TV and hadnt seen that fence, so thank you very much. You have a very nice yard. Someone sent me a link of photos of the Doggie Doo Run Run and it looks like alot of fun! Bubba and Murphy love to play with other doggies :coolsmiley:. Thanks to you and Halle, now I know where to start, cause if I am lucky enough to sell soon I will have lots to do to get this dream of TV in gear! :pepper2:

BUC
04-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Fences would not be a problem, many restricted neibhorhoods have fences.

Fourpar
04-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Fences would not be a problem, many restricted neibhorhoods have fences.

Pretty much irrelevant here in the Villages. As others have posted here, fences are only allowed in certain neighborhoods, per Covenants and Restrictions.

Another topic: Is there any reason people with dogs cannot/will not train their pet to do their business on their own property?

And the obvious follow-on: Why to many pet owners feel its okay to use others property for their bathroom, common areas or private?
:cus:

Taltarzac
04-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Pretty much irrelevant here in the Villages. As others have posted here, fences are only allowed in certain neighborhoods, per Covenants and Restrictions.

Another topic: Is there any reason people with dogs cannot/will not train their pet to do their business on their own property?

And the obvious follow-on: Why to many pet owners feel its okay to use others property for their bathroom, common areas or private?
:cus:

If you have a puppy it would probably be pretty easy to train it to poop and pee in the street. Except that many people in TV seem to have rescue dogs which are usually older dogs rather set in their ways. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tips-training-older-dogs.html

Dog parks seems to be the answer to this problem.

rshoffer
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
If you have a puppy it would probably be pretty easy to train it to poop and pee in the street. Except that many people in TV seem to have rescue dogs which are usually older dogs rather set in their ways. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tips-training-older-dogs.html

Dog parks seems to be the answer to this problem.Probably the phrase, "I'm gonna take the dog for a walk" applies here. Nice day, sunny, gonna take the dog for a leisurly 1 hr walk... suddenly, 1/2 hr into the walk... oops, get out the baggie.

Taltarzac
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Probably the phrase, "I'm gonna take the dog for a walk" applies here. Nice day, sunny, gonna take the dog for a leisurly 1 hr walk... suddenly, 1/2 hr into the walk... oops, get out the baggie.

But, rarely can you get a dog to poop out in the street. They choose their spots for where they drop a load. Then the responsible owner picks it up. That's the law in many urban areas that the dog owner has to pick up his or her pet's mess.

Bogie Shooter
04-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Dog parks seems to be the answer to this problem.

Please explain how dog parks will eliminate dogs pooping and peeing on lawns and "common areas".

SUNNYMARYANN
04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Jeanne dont let one grouch spoil it for you. I have a white vinyl privacy fence where i live at present and it safely contains my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels so that they can run and play safely. When we sell here and move to the Villages (soon I hope) we will buy a Courtyard Villa so that we enjoy the same privacy. I dont hear other dogs barking as described previously. Fences make good neighbors. I cannot walk my dogs because I am handicapped. So is my husband so the back yard is a necessary item for two active pups. We love watching them chase each other and romp around.

JeanneBeannie
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
:;QUOTE=SUNNYMARYANN;199130]Jeanne dont let one grouch spoil it for you. I have a white vinyl privacy fence where i live at present and it safely contains my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels so that they can run and play safely. When we sell here and move to the Villages (soon I hope) we will buy a Courtyard Villa so that we enjoy the same privacy. I dont hear other dogs barking as described previously. Fences make good neighbors. I cannot walk my dogs because I am handicapped. So is my husband so the back yard is a necessary item for two active pups. We love watching them chase each other and romp around.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your nice post, your doggies are beautiful! I too love watching my doggies romp with each other! I appreciate you understanding, thats all I was looking for, so now I know to look for a Courtyard Villa. I'm sorry you and your husband are handicapped, when you and I get there I would be happy to help you. I have a bad back so walking my dogs all day, especially two golden's would be quite a task lol. I have raised them since they were pups and I have been home with them all along, they dont bark (as accused of lol lol). :shrug:. Gonna go look for some CYV online now :2excited:. Thanks again :pepper2:

Barefoot
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Please explain how dog parks will eliminate dogs pooping and peeing on lawns and "common areas".

The dogs would poop and pee in the dog park area and not on lawns and common areas. Owners would, of course, clean up after their pets.

Hundreds of dogs use Doggie Doo Run Run for exercise and bathroom duties. Owners pay a monthly fee. The DDRR people pick up after the dogs. Works perfectly.

BUC
04-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Convenents and restrictions can be changed. Fences would solve so many problems, not everyone wants to or can afford to buuy a CYV, but would be interested in buying in the older sections of the villlages. My dogs,Both are Shrzer mixes, are important to my wife and I. There happiness is inportant to us, and as I've been told by a few people on this friendly site, that if I don't like the rules, well maybe you should look someplace else to live. That's not an answer I've been talking about fences being allowed here for a couple years now. I hope that maybe the idea of approved fences in the villages will become a reality. Fences will not bother anyone and those who don't like the idea should stop worring about what everyone else is doing and mind there own bussiness.

Barefoot
04-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Convenents and restrictions can be changed. Fences would solve so many problems, not everyone wants to or can afford to buuy a CYV, but would be interested in buying in the older sections of the villlages. My dogs,Both are Shrzer mixes, are important to my wife and I. There happiness is inportant to us,

Buc, I know that you are a fence advocate. I would never suggest that you move if you don't like the rules in TV. There is nothing wrong with trying to change existing covenants. And you're right that it would provide more choices than CYVs for those of us with dogs. But I don't see it happening. Ever. I just don't think there is enough resident support for the idea.

A Courtyard Villa wouldn't have been my first choice for a home, and I think they are overpriced in comparison to other homes. But I've grown very fond of our Villa, and the fence solves a multitude of problems.

We've adapted to the restrictions in TV by making it a priority to visit the Dog Park once or twice a day. It would make life easier for a lot of pet owners if there were dog parks provided in each quadrant of TV. It would also be a plus for those who don't enjoy dogs .. it would get the dogs off the streets and away from the postal stations.

SUNNYMARYANN
04-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Do you think a meeting with the powers that be in The Villages to discuss putting in Doggie Parks in each village could accomplish any favorable results?

rshoffer
04-16-2009, 10:01 AM
The dogs would poop and pee in the dog park area and not on lawns and common areas. Owners would, of course, clean up after their pets.

Hundreds of dogs use Doggie Doo Run Run for exercise and bathroom duties. Owners pay a monthly fee. The DDRR people pick up after the dogs. Works perfectly.Unless you walk your dog 1/2 mile to the dog park.... another, "oops, get out the baggie"...

Halle
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
:agree::agree:

Buc, I know that you are a fence advocate. I would never suggest that you move if you don't like the rules in TV. There is nothing wrong with trying to change existing covenants. And you're right that it would provide more choices than CYVs for those of us with dogs. But I don't see it happening. Ever. I just don't think there is enough resident support for the idea.

A Courtyard Villa wouldn't have been my first choice for a home, and I think they are overpriced in comparison to other homes. But I've grown very fond of our Villa, and the fence solves a multitude of problems.

We've adapted to the restrictions in TV by making it a priority to visit the Dog Park once or twice a day. It would make life easier for a lot of pet owners if there were dog parks provided in each quadrant of TV. It would also be a plus for those who don't enjoy dogs .. it would get the dogs off the streets and away from the postal stations.

Unfortunately I don't believe more dog parks will prevent people from allowing their dogs to use their neighbors yards and common areas to relieve themselves. I see many people out walking their dogs early in the morning when I'm jogging and the primary purpose is for the dogs to relieve themselves. I don't think the majority of them will go to the Dog Parks every time Mother Nature calls. I think part of the solution is for people to be more considerate and to try to get their dogs to use their own yards. I know this can be done because my dogs won't go anywhere but their yard. We are actually trying to train our dogs to go in designated areas at roadside parks so we can take them with us on short trips. Any ideas of how to do this is appreciated.

I do support more Dog Parks as part of the solution.

Halle

rshoffer
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I see an opportunity here to make some money. Any venture capitalists out there... wanna invest in my new company: Doggie Dypes... attends for your pooch. ???

Bogie Shooter
04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Convenents and restrictions can be changed. Fences would solve so many problems, not everyone wants to or can afford to buuy a CYV, but would be interested in buying in the older sections of the villlages. My dogs,Both are Shrzer mixes, are important to my wife and I. There happiness is inportant to us, and as I've been told by a few people on this friendly site, that if I don't like the rules, well maybe you should look someplace else to live. That's not an answer I've been talking about fences being allowed here for a couple years now. I hope that maybe the idea of approved fences in the villages will become a reality. Fences will not bother anyone and those who don't like the idea should stop worring about what everyone else is doing and mind there own bussiness.

No fences.

Bogie Shooter
04-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Hundreds of dogs use Doggie Doo Run Run for exercise and bathroom duties. Owners pay a monthly fee. The DDRR people pick up after the dogs. Works perfectly.
How many trips to the ddr would one have to make to eliminate going on lawns?

Bogie Shooter
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I see an opportunity here to make some money. Any venture capitalists out there... wanna invest in my new company: Doggie Dypes... attends for your pooch. ???

:pepper2:

:coolsmiley:

BUC
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
When I finally get down there I really, really hope I have nice neighbors, not busy- bodies, ready and looking forward to reporting any rules infaction not matter how minor. Some people are just plan miserable and they aren't happy until they make everyone as miserable as they are. I plan on enjoying my retirement and NOT worring about what other people are doing or not doing.

BE HAPPY! You live in the greatest place I've ever seen. Enjoy it.

nONIE
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
BUC,,

you are so right on! wish there was a way to banish all grumps from The Villages!

The other day I turned around in a driveway because i overshot the street i wanted and a major craba** came flying down his driveway shaking his fists at me and screaming on top of his lungs that he was going to make me pay for his driveway when I wear it out!:shrug:

I apologized and told him it wouldnt happen again. I know I was wrong but geeeezzzzz!!!:ohdear:

Bogie Shooter
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
When I finally get down there I really, really hope I have nice neighbors, not busy- bodies, ready and looking forward to reporting any rules infaction not matter how minor. Some people are just plan miserable and they aren't happy until they make everyone as miserable as they are. I plan on enjoying my retirement and NOT worring about what other people are doing or not doing.

BE HAPPY! You live in the greatest place I've ever seen. Enjoy it.
One of the reasons it is the greatest place is, most people follow the rules.

katezbox
04-16-2009, 07:03 PM
There is no one perfect solution for keeping dogs and people happy in a high-density area such as TV. It is a truly wonderful magical place.

There will always be those who allow their dogs to pee and poop wherever. There will be those who allow their dogs outdoors or on the lanai to bark all day. Before you tell me your dogs are better behaved than... please read a recent thread about folks in Duval who had guests and 6 or 7 dogs on the lanai barking.

For the rest of us dog parks would be part of the solution. I personally always have our dog relieve himself on our property before we go for a walk. That said, he is a dog! He may need to go again before we get home. In that case, the street or a common area is best. We have a little "purse" that strips onto his leash so poop bags are always at hand.

Some homes in TV have fences - those cute ranches in Hemingway and the CYVs. For new buyers, I think those are your choices for now. You could also choose to lobby for them in new areas being developed - then prospective buyers will know that they are allowed in that area and make a decision based on that. I would not want fences in my new neighborhood and would be opposed to changing the rules.

One thing that hasn't come up is Invisible Fences. Are they allowed in TV? If so, that may be an option for some that only want a fence to keep their dogs safe.

Kate

Taltarzac
04-17-2009, 08:41 AM
There is no one perfect solution for keeping dogs and people happy in a high-density area such as TV. It is a truly wonderful magical place.

There will always be those who allow their dogs to pee and poop wherever. There will be those who allow their dogs outdoors or on the lanai to bark all day. Before you tell me your dogs are better behaved than... please read a recent thread about folks in Duval who had guests and 6 or 7 dogs on the lanai barking.

For the rest of us dog parks would be part of the solution. I personally always have our dog relieve himself on our property before we go for a walk. That said, he is a dog! He may need to go again before we get home. In that case, the street or a common area is best. We have a little "purse" that strips onto his leash so poop bags are always at hand.

Some homes in TV have fences - those cute ranches in Hemingway and the CYVs. For new buyers, I think those are your choices for now. You could also choose to lobby for them in new areas being developed - then prospective buyers will know that they are allowed in that area and make a decision based on that. I would not want fences in my new neighborhood and would be opposed to changing the rules.

One thing that hasn't come up is Invisible Fences. Are they allowed in TV? If so, that may be an option for some that only want a fence to keep their dogs safe.

Kate

...have invisble fences for their dogs. You would probably have to check your Village deed covenants and restrictions though.

katezbox
04-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks, Tal..

I can tell you are a dog lover.

We would rather go to DDRR (my husband plans to try it on Saturday) or a new dog park when that happens. Finley is happiest where we are. If we are in the yard, I can put him on a long leash and he will be fine.

I was just floating an option for some who would like a fence...

Kate

Halle
04-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Invisible fencing is allowed in The Village of Amelia. We have several neighbors who have used it and it works very well for them. Once the dogs are trained they remove the training collars and the dogs remain in the invisibly fenced area. I personally would still need to be outside with my dogs but this would certainly give them more freedom to run and play.

rshoffer
04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
All this talk about doggie poop.... let me change the perspective (aka hijack the thread). It is not only dogs who leave a mess behind. 2 days ago it rained over an inch. That evening I was entering the Colony Cottage Rec Center. Just outside the main entrance is a beautiful round flower garden. Because of all the rain, there was about 1/2 inch of pooled water in this large circle. The pooled water was completel full of crummy cigarette butts. 5 feet away was a canaster to place butts in...

mfp509
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
When I walk my dog I always have poop bags with me. I know her schedule so we head for a common area at the end of the street and I pick up. When we are just walking around the neighborhood and I know she will want to sniff and piddle, she knows what "on the edge" means - she is not allowed to walk up onto any lawns - she can piddle on the edge which is mostly on the street.

Taltarzac
04-19-2009, 06:43 AM
...to walk the dog during the day especially from May through September or so and between say 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

So, a local dog park would also be good for people with dogs here in TV for that reason. I usually golf cart my dog to a common area during those times. There is a park close by-- Lake Miona Park-- but it is not accessible to golf carts.

JeanneBeannie
04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Invisible fencing is allowed in The Village of Amelia. We have several neighbors who have used it and it works very well for them. Once the dogs are trained they remove the training collars and the dogs remain in the invisibly fenced area. I personally would still need to be outside with my dogs but this would certainly give them more freedom to run and play.

That is good to know that the invisible fences are allowed, just in case I cant find a home with a fence. However lol, I am just like you....I would have to be outside with them too. I bought the whole system and the collars when I moved here, cause the first few days they would bolt in the woods everytime they saw a deer lol! :faint:. It was too nerve wracking for me (I am a worry wart lol) I was so afraid they would run away. :blahblahblah: Long story short, the invisible fence is still in the box and I made them a large fenced in area lol. But it is good to know that they do work...thanks Halle! :coolsmiley:

JeanneBeannie
04-19-2009, 07:49 AM
BUC,,

you are so right on! wish there was a way to banish all grumps from The Villages!

The other day I turned around in a driveway because i overshot the street i wanted and a major craba** came flying down his driveway shaking his fists at me and screaming on top of his lungs that he was going to make me pay for his driveway when I wear it out!:shrug:

I apologized and told him it wouldnt happen again. I know I was wrong but geeeezzzzz!!!:ohdear:

I have a idea...we can be neighbors!! :pepper2: No grumps allowed lol chilout. I am probably gonna get yelled at again lol lol :shrug:. So before I do let me save "someone" the problem lol :bowdown:. I absolutely support the doggie parks, I think its a wonderful idea! However I have a new brainstorm :icon_wink:. For when my doggies have to "go" lol, I plan on letting them relieve themselves on my own lawn and just pick it up right away. And...I just saw a cool idea this morning on "house selling tips" and they have something called "Astro Spray Paint" for those little yellow spots our doggies leave behind lol. :coolsmiley:

3bells
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Invisible fences do not work for every dog. Ours has such a high pain threshhold the current would have to be so high he would be electrocuted if a squirrel ran by outside the fence. Ask your vet about which breeds often can not be contained in an invisible fence before you invest.

We live in a neighborhood with a covenant against fences. (Bought pre-dog.) He goes in our yard unless out for a walk. Wherever; we pick up after him. He is always on leash. We love our neighbors and they have elected my husband as president of our association for eleven years. Never met a grump who didn't fall in love with our dog.

But now I want to move somewhere we can have a fence so I can sit out and watch him chase his toys and play. We are renting for three months at the villages (thankfully where there is a fenced in back yard.) But it sounds as though we will be overly limited if we decide to buy (one of the reasons we wanted to rent, to try it out).

Worse. I've heard so much about the friendliness of everyone that it sounded wonderful. Now I find out there are grumps. Sad.

Tweety Bird
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM

What if the dog can't wait? I have a dog that when he reaches any kind of "green grass" he pees. My question is...is it a NO NO for my dog to pee on someone else's lawn? What if he's past my lawn and then decides to piddle on someone else's? Shall I give him a lecture? That is SO hard to control. It's a DOG, for pete's sake. :confused:

barb1191
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
What if the dog can't wait? I have a dog that when he reaches any kind of "green grass" he pees. My question is...is it a NO NO for my dog to pee on someone else's lawn? What if he's past my lawn and then decides to piddle on someone else's? Shall I give him a lecture? That is SO hard to control. It's a DOG, for pete's sake. :confused:

I would imagine that, if you start out by walking your dog around your own property until he/she has done the duty and then take a walk with the pup and do not go on private property, that seems the proper thing to do.

I feel particularly strong about this because, living on a corner lot, it seems all dog-walkers would come up on our lawn and not always clean up after. Very very annoying and not in compliance with TV covenants, when imposing on private property.

Animal lover? Oh yes I am, very much so. I used to breed miniature poodles for many years and they were a huge part of our life. We are unable to have a pet now due to illness. When we're up North summers we have two adorable Jack Russell's that we adore belonging to my daughter's family and since we have an inlaw attached to her home, we have many visits from the pups and love it.

Yes, please curb your dog.....b

Tweety Bird
11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I would imagine that, if you start out by walking your dog around your own property until he/she has done the duty and then take a walk with the pup and do not go on private property, that seems the proper thing to do.

I feel particularly strong about this because, living on a corner lot, it seems all dog-walkers would come up on our lawn and not always clean up after. Very very annoying and not in compliance with TV covenants, when imposing on private property.

Animal lover? Oh yes I am, very much so. I used to breed miniature poodles for many years and they were a huge part of our life. We are unable to have a pet now due to illness. When we're up North summers we have two adorable Jack Russell's that we adore belonging to my daughter's family and since we have an inlaw attached to her home, we have many visits from the pups and love it.

Yes, please curb your dog.....b

Yes, you're right. It makes sense. Now I'm weirding out. I bought a corner lot! CRAP!

barb1191
11-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, you're right. It makes sense. Now I'm weirding out. I bought a corner lot! CRAP!

Uh oh....I should have been more precise in noting "corner lot." Our corner lot abuts a common area, thus dogwalkers heading for that common area often would use our lawn as well.

Not to worry.....All "corner lots" are not alike and our problem is solved because we have wonderful neighbors who, when approached with our situation, respect our request to curb your dog.

Talk Host
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

People say their dog is a member of the family. Can every member of the family pee on your lawn? :jester:

Tweety Bird
11-13-2009, 07:29 PM
People say their dog is a member of the family. Can every member of the family pee on your lawn? :jester:

well, I'm giving him away to a "forever family". I just can't deal with it.

SUNNYMARYANN
11-13-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with Halle. I have a vinyl privacy fenced yard that is completely enclosed,yet we do not leave our dogs out back unattended. We pick up after them and that is not a problem either. In our age restricted subdivision, we can only have one type of fence unless the house is on a corner, they can have a white vinyl picket fence. Others have the six foot white vinyl privacy fencing. Limiting the type of fencing would solve the problem of a conglomeration of types of fences and it does give a uniform appearance. Some older people like us are disabled and cannot take our dogs walking or to a doggie park. I occasionally have someone from an adjoining subdivision walking a dog who takes a dump on the front lawn, but one time they see me at the window, they usually pick it up. If not, then out comes my scooper and plastic bag. Buc, we are old and fat, so I understand what you are saying. It may well be time for TV to reconsider the need for and use of fences.

Tweety Bird
11-16-2009, 02:59 PM

hahahaha...you're so funny! I'm trying REALLY hard to teach my husband to pee in the toilet first! :evil6:

SUNNYMARYANN
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Give it up Tweety, after 54 years he still hasnt learned how to aim.

Tweety Bird
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM

I have a cleaning lady that comes bi-monthly to clean after him. It's the inbetween times I'd wish she was there too. Are there cabana boys in TV? Oh, that's right, can't build a private cabana. :1rotfl: I'll have to find another cleaning lady. Or..shall I have to actually clean it myself? :shrug:

dillywho
11-16-2009, 11:52 PM

Saw a sign once in a bathroom: "In case of attack, jump in the commode...it hasn't been hit yet." Maybe she needs one in hers.:duck:

Mo779
11-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Seems like lots of folks up here don't know (or want to understand) that in most cases, a good part (an area bordering the street) of "their yard" is, in fact, a utility right-of-way easement, NOT owned by the home owner!

Aceskaters
11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Geez, Nonie,
Fortunately we are not all like your craba** friend...someone was turning around in my driveway yesterday and unfortunately they left before I could get the fresh-baked cookies out to them. You can turn around in my driveway anytime.

Tweety Bird
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Seems like lots of folks up here don't know (or want to understand) that in most cases, a good part (an area bordering the street) of "their yard" is, in fact, a utility right-of-way easement, NOT owned by the home owner!

Are you implying dogs can poop there? :crap2:

rshoffer
11-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Seems like lots of folks up here don't know (or want to understand) that in most cases, a good part (an area bordering the street) of "their yard" is, in fact, a utility right-of-way easement, NOT owned by the home owner!Now THERE is a can-of-worms....!

UGA fan
01-01-2010, 07:01 PM

I totally agree. I have two neighbors that walk out their front door and straight to my yard to let their dogs do their business. They do pick up after them, but why can't they let the dog go in their yard? Very disrespectable. Can't understand it.

Bogie Shooter
01-01-2010, 07:34 PM
I totally agree. I have two neighbors that walk out their front door and straight to my yard to let their dogs do their business. They do pick up after them, but why can't they let the dog go in their yard? Very disrespectable. Can't understand it.

Why not ask them?

Barefoot
01-01-2010, 07:43 PM

The Villages covenants allow two domestic pets per household. Yet they initially made no provisions for a place to walk the thousands of residents' dogs. Big mistake in my humble opinion! And destined to make for some bad neighbour situations.

Personally, I take my two dogs daily to a private dog park and never walk them on neighbours' properties. But not everyone is able to do this. And dogs do have to be walked.

The Villages is now slowly building dog parks, one in Historical and one by Mulberry. Hopefully they will be providing more. This should hopefully help improve the situation.

bluedog103
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Actually the land is still owned by the homeowner. The easement gives someone the right to cross or use the property, in this case the utility company.

Pturner
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm getting pooped out reading all this.

havinfun
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
:bowdown:first let me say I was a pet owner most of my life......loss my wonderful dog just prior to moving to TV. However, I agree dogs should be curbed. Unfortunately, not ever one does the right thing..I know some do clean up after their dog but the majority do not. Live on a small street with and half my neighbors have dogs. Most go unleashed constantly and are doing whatever on their neighbor lawns. My ??? why do owners never take their dogs to do their business on THEIR lawns????? Wouldn't that seem reasonable?

TednRobin
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a question, and excuse me if this has been asked before.(I've searched the forum but way to many to look thru.)We are interested in a fenced yard, CYV or ranch on Nash Loop w fence. We have a small dog, are these neighborhood overly noisy w barking dogs? Smelly due to owners not picking up timely after their dogs? etc. Thanks.

Barefoot
01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
I have a question, and excuse me if this has been asked before.(I've searched the forum but way to many to look thru.)We are interested in a fenced yard, CYV or ranch on Nash Loop w fence. We have a small dog, are these neighborhood overly noisy w barking dogs? Smelly due to owners not picking up timely after their dogs? etc. Thanks.

I currently live in a Courtyard Villa community. Great set up for dogs. The neighbourhood is lovely. No barking dogs. No smells. Everyone picks up after their dogs. In three years I've never, ever seen anyone that doesn't pick up after their dog. And most people in CYVs really like animals.

Plus the dogs can run free in the courtyards. I also take my dogs daily to the private dog park so they can get lots of exercise and play with other dogs.

Regor
01-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Common areas are owned by all of us! I have owned dogs for 40 years. They poop and pee in MY yard. Not some "common" area. I suppose then you pick up the poop and put it into a common trash can next to the common mailboxes so that the common people coming there get to smell the common smell.
They have dog parks for dogs. Or let them mess up your own yard and flush the poop. Not My common area!
Please!

TednRobin
01-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I currently live in a Courtyard Villa community. Great set up for dogs. The neighbourhood is lovely. No barking dogs. No smells. Everyone picks up after their dogs. In three years I've never, ever seen anyone that doesn't pick up after their dog. And most people in CYVs really like animals.

Plus the dogs can run free in the courtyards. I also take my dogs daily to the private dog park so they can get lots of exercise and play with other dogs.

Thanks for the helpful info, Barefoot.

debzaranti
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Saying you can't keep your dog from urinating on your neighbor's lawn is a cop out. Keep the leash SHORT and problem solved. My only complaint since I moved here is the number of my neighbors who think it's OK to let their dogs relieve themselves on my front lawn. I spend a lot of time and money to make our grass look nice and green and weed-free. Dog urine causes YELLOW BURN SPOTS on the lawn! I own a large dog and he only uses our BACK yard as his toilet...and the grass back there is mostly dead. I would not dream of allowing him to kill a neighbor's grass, so why do you less-responsible dog owners think it's OK for your dog to kill MY grass?? If you walk them because you don't want them killing the grass in YOUR lawn, why do you think it's OK for them to destroy mine?? Sorry for the rant, but this really, really bugs me. I find these less-thoughtful dog owners to be ignorant, arrogant and rude!

ajbrown
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM

I back up to Villas. The share a wall with a CYV. I have never had any issue with smell :), but there are dogs that bark. It simply makes sense that barking would be more prevalent in a CYV as dogs can be outside unattended.

As an example, there is a dog near us that possibly is trained (or spoiled ;)) to bark when it wants to come in. This can be an issue when it is 5:30 AM or when the owner cannot get to the door for 5 minutes as you sit on the lanai. For us it is not that big an deal and very infrequent, but could be if you happen to live near someone that does not view this an an issue for the neighbors.

I suppose this could also happen when dogs(s) are left on lanai like a certain green at Tierra Del Sol :)

It is like so many threads that occasionally come up here, loud music, lights that shine on neighbors home, etc. It does not happen often and if you are unlucky enough to move next to someone that may appear a bit inconsiderate, you hope it can be dealt with a civil and friendly manner.

BTW, we love the idea of a CYV for the dog and almost bought one, my post should in no way keep you from buying a CYV.

Talk Host
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Last Saturday, I saw a guy on Legacy Lane with his dog. The dog leash was loooooooooong. The guy was standing on the street by the curb. The dog was squatting in the middle of sombody's front yard, 30 feet away from the owner.

When the dog was done, the guy just walked away.

I know the guy and the dog and the people whose lawn he was on. This dog snarls at me (and every other stranger) and stretches out the leash every time I walk close to him and the owner. The guy never, ever, ever tries to pull the dog back or stop the snarling.

I could just smack the owner.

paulandjean
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I know the feeling, guy in amelia the same way.big boxer dog. one night he let it out on long leash,I was in the driveway and he did not see me, almost kicked the dog in the face. owner got real smart with me,but ended with him walking away. from that point on he always walked his dog away from me. real jerk.

iaudit
01-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I live in Caroline and there are two dog owners that live in my neighborhood who not only let their dog relieve themselves on the lawns but the owners also smoke. They both just throw their finished cigarette butts (with filters) into the street or onto the nearest lawn. I intend to follow them to their house while collecting their butts and dumping them on their doorstep. Maybe they will get the hint.

graciegirl
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I live in Caroline and there are two dog owners that live in my neighborhood who not only let their dog relieve themselves on the lawns but the owners also smoke. They both just throw their finished cigarette butts (with filters) into the street or onto the nearest lawn. I intend to follow them to their house while collecting their butts and dumping them on their doorstep. Maybe they will get the hint.

That would frost me.

chuckster
01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
My turn to vent.............There should be a special assessment for dog owners that congregate at mail facilities as if it is a doggy play area.:yuck: Lots of dead grass (recently replaced) and plants (also replaced). Unfortunately all of us cover the replacement of dead sod and plants through our ever rising fees. Have had kids, dogs and cats all of our lives and have treated public areas and private lawns with respect. Pets are like children, they know what they are taught and reflect the owners attitudes.

Just my opinion........

RichieLion
02-28-2010, 12:59 AM

Where do you get this crazy idea? The property is in fact mine, it just has a restriction of usage. I'm assessed for the value of and pay the taxes on this property and I have to maintain this property; therefore it is my private property and I would appreciate it if you refrained from allowing your animal to use it as a latrine.

barb1191
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM

If there IS "a utility right-of-way easement" this is an easement for 'UTILITY' people ONLY and NOT for dogs doing their business on anyone's lawn other than the dog-owner's property. Walk your dog on the street AFTER he/she has done their business ON YOUR PROPERTY!!! Walk around your property a few times if need be, to make sure the job is done on your turf!

I've heard that some dog owners dump their dog doo in the storm drains on the street!!!! DISGUSTING!!!

Be kind, please curb your dog.

JimJoe
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Where do you get this crazy idea? The property is in fact mine, it just has a restriction of usage. I'm assessed for the value of and pay the taxes on this property and I have to maintain this property; therefore it is my private property and I would appreciate it if you refrained from allowing your animal to use it as a latrine.

Excuse me but just like in about every city in this country, you do not own to the street. You are required to maintain to the street but the street right of way extends to where a sidewalk would normally go. If you think I am wrong, call the county assessor, or if you want to see for yourself, go the Sumpter county assessors webpage, at http://www.sumterpa.com/GIS/Search_F.asp
type in your name and look at a satellite picture of your home clearly showing you do NOT own to the street.

chuckster
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Doesn't seem to work for me and I am a sumter resident. My plot map however does show I own to the street

JimJoe
02-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Did you go look at the sumpter assessor site? It clearly shows you dont. Measure your lot and you will see. Call the assessor.

beady
02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Chuckster....I will vote against an assessment for dog usage at the mail stations. BUT, I think TV should restrict dog owners from using the mail stations as a "dog park" and fecal dump. It is disgusting.....the odor from the trash barrels is wicked in the warm weather. Simply post signs restricting dogs using those grass area's around the building.
As an aside, I have noticed that in the newer Villages, the mail station , pool and bocce courts are all together, affecting less area for dog "curbing".

RichieLion
02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Excuse me but just like in about every city in this country, you do not own to the street. You are required to maintain to the street but the street right of way extends to where a sidewalk would normally go. If you think I am wrong, call the county assessor, or if you want to see for yourself, go the Sumpter county assessors webpage, at http://www.sumterpa.com/GIS/Search_F.asp
type in your name and look at a satellite picture of your home clearly showing you do NOT own to the street.

I never said I own the street. Walk your dog in the street and not in my yard and we're both happy now. The remarks were directed to the poster who thought that the 10 ft. easement restriction on the edge of my property meant that I did not in fact own this property and I just pointed out that he was in error.

JimJoe
02-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I never said I own the street. Walk your dog in the street and not in my yard and we're both happy now. The remarks were directed to the poster who thought that the 10 ft. easement restriction on the edge of my property meant that I did not in fact own this property and I just pointed out that he was in error.

My point is you do not own the grass next to the street. The Street is not just the paved road, it includes the right of way that extends past your grassy area and up to the place where a sidewalk would normally be. Go to the assessor website posted I posted:
http://www.sumterpa.com/GIS/Search_F.asp
Type in your name and look at the map. Your land does not go to the street, just like in most parts of the country. Call the assessor. My point is that if someone walks along the street and their dog is in the grass next to the street, they are not on your property. They are on the street right of way and you are required to maintain it but you do not own it. For example a person does not own the land in front of their home upon which the sidewalk is laid. The property stakes are on the homeside of the sidewalk, not on the street side. The home owner has to maintain the area between the sidewalk and the pavement but they do not own it. They must obtain permission from the municipality to do major trimming or removal of trees on that land.
If someone's dog steps on the grass, and even if they do their number there, we should not jump all over them. People should not be afraid to walk their dog down the street. Call the police (is there any?) and try to report them for trespassing and you will find out.
People need to try to get along. Please.

dog friendly
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
We try to always take our dogs to a common area and we always pick up after them.,but was once told by a grumpy old man that I should not let my dogs go there......because he lives here and wants to keep it nice..... well we live here too and want to keep it nice, but we ask about having dogs before we moved here and we were told dogs are always welcome and they didn't say just in common areas....but I do take them to common areas, but you can't please everyone.... are the town squares common areas? I see dogs there and love it, that is part of the friendliest home town feeling of the villages.

dog friendly
02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
And responsible smokers should pick up their cigarette butts!

AMEN to that folks:agree:

dog friendly
02-28-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't care how many dog parks we have. One of my little girls is 13 and not as active as the younger dogs. Would you take your elderly parent to a play ground with little children running and playing, I don't think so.... well I love my little girls and will provide and protect them just as they are part of my family

tpop1
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't care how many dog parks we have. One of my little girls is 13 and not as active as the younger dogs. Would you take your elderly parent to a play ground with little children running and playing, I don't think so.... well I love my little girls and will provide and protect them just as they are part of my family

I must be missing something. If you are taking your dog away from your house to do its business, you must not want them doing it on your lot! Why is it okay to do it on mine or in the common areas?

I had a dog that lived 17 years with us, was the family's dog and we would never think of letting it do her business ANYWHERE BUT my small lot!!!!! Then I cleaned it up and took care of it's mess on without bothering my neighbors with it!

I like dogs but do no have to love your dog like you do. Whether or not I own my grass to the asphalt, I maintain it!

I would like to know that my family can walk barefoot in my grass or in our common areas, like bocci, shuffleboard, horseshoe area without stepping in a dog's business or the leftovers.

dog friendly
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
You have a problem. My dogs do go in my yard at least 3 times a day, I pick up where ever they go let me repeat since you don't understand, I pick up wherever they go.... and the bocci area , and such I do not consider common areas...my dogs need exercise so I take them in my car to a COMMON AREA, got it .........when they do go in my yard it does not leave a spot, this ground is sand and pee goes into the sand and does not turn my grass yellow,,,,,,,, some people....now do you get it???

chuckster
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Chuckster....I will vote against an assessment for dog usage at the mail stations. BUT, I think TV should restrict dog owners from using the mail stations as a "dog park" and fecal dump. It is disgusting.....the odor from the trash barrels is wicked in the warm weather. Simply post signs restricting dogs using those grass area's around the building.
As an aside, I have noticed that in the newer Villages, the mail station , pool and bocce courts are all together, affecting less area for dog "curbing".

Thanks Beady, I agree....and must add throwing bags with poop into storm sewers. How thoughtless.....:shrug:

dog friendly
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Wow, after reading much of your thoughts on this topic about pee and poop, I have one thing to say. PROZAC MY VILLAGERS WOULD DO WONDERS FOR SOME OF YOU:wave:

The Great Fumar
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Saying you can't keep your dog from urinating on your neighbor's lawn is a cop out. Keep the leash SHORT and problem solved. My only complaint since I moved here is the number of my neighbors who think it's OK to let their dogs relieve themselves on my front lawn. I spend a lot of time and money to make our grass look nice and green and weed-free. Dog urine causes YELLOW BURN SPOTS on the lawn! I own a large dog and he only uses our BACK yard as his toilet...and the grass back there is mostly dead. I would not dream of allowing him to kill a neighbor's grass, so why do you less-responsible dog owners think it's OK for your dog to kill MY grass?? If you walk them because you don't want them killing the grass in YOUR lawn, why do you think it's OK for them to destroy mine?? Sorry for the rant, but this really, really bugs me. I find these less-thoughtful dog owners to be ignorant, arrogant and rude!

Now this guy is my HERO !!!!! If your running for office you've got my vote...........

fumar .......:coolsmiley:

Fourpar
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Now this guy is my HERO !!!!! If your running for office you've got my vote...........

fumar .......:coolsmiley:
I'm with Fumar...that's at least 2 votes!

K9-Lovers
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Here is a solution for all of you concerned about dogs peeing on the grass (also would cut down on the cost of watering):

Go to www.Costco.com and search for "Pregra" which is premium artificial grass -- it looks so real!

We are moving to TV in April and will be full time residents. Looking forward to meeting all of you AND your dogs! :D

Pturner
03-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm with Fumar...that's at least 2 votes!

Well, I wouldn't vote for him for... dog catcher. :1rotfl:

Pturner
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM

No, only the ones who pee standing up.
:024:

J & J plus M
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I thought about this a lot recently concerning all of the "dog problems". I don't think it's the dogs.... I think the water treatment plant changed the formula on the "happy kool-aid" and that's causing all of the grumpyness in The Villages. GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FORMULA.... P L E A S E !!!!!

bxmt54
03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Adopt a kitty. They are so much less trouble and maintenance and can be just as lovable as a dog. I have had 4 (3 persians and 1 himilayan) in the past and have 2 now. They follow me around room to room, wait at the door (or in the kitchen window) for me to come home, curl up on either the top of the chair or couch or on the footrest when I'm watching television. If you have two they get plenty of exercise just chasing each other around and heaven help us when I bring out the laser pointer...they go wild! I think in another life one of them may actually have been a dog and then got wise to how much easier cats really have it! I did have a dog for 17 years but he passed away in 2008 and living where I do now it was never a problem. However, since I intend to become a full time Villager in the next year I don't think I want the hassles you all are experiencing.....I'll just keep it simple and keep my kitties!

RichieLion
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Adopt a kitty. They are so much less trouble and maintenance and can be just as lovable as a dog. I have had 4 (3 persians and 1 himilayan) in the past and have 2 now. They follow me around room to room, wait at the door (or in the kitchen window) for me to come home, curl up on either the top of the chair or couch or on the footrest when I'm watching television. If you have two they get plenty of exercise just chasing each other around and heaven help us when I bring out the laser pointer...they go wild! I think in another life one of them may actually have been a dog and then got wise to how much easier cats really have it! I did have a dog for 17 years but he passed away in 2008 and living where I do now it was never a problem. However, since I intend to become a full time Villager in the next year I don't think I want the hassles you all are experiencing.....I'll just keep it simple and keep my kitties!

:agree: I also have cats I've rescued. I Luv my kitties :)

Barefoot
03-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Adopt a kitty. They are so much less trouble and maintenance and can be just as lovable as a dog. I have had 4 (3 persians and 1 himilayan) in the past and have 2 now. They follow me around room to room, wait at the door (or in the kitchen window) for me to come home, curl up on either the top of the chair or couch or on the footrest when I'm watching television.

I also have a seal-point Himalayan cat. She is 17. Not only is she beautiful, she is just like a dog, exactly as you described. She meets me at the door, follows me from room to room, and craves attention. She curls up on the bed with my little dog. They are best friends.

Sorry Topicop .. :police: I know this thread is about dogs.

graciegirl
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
I am a rule follower, yes I am. I am always surprised when I count our kitties. We have TWO according to rules. Their names are Mikey, Harry and Hershey. They look a lot alike and are hard to count and seen only looking out windows I think I can continue to be an...............sigh.........outlaw.

They too have a doggie persona. However, Mikey was one of the Flying Wallendas in a previous life. He is somewhat frustrated in this house because the best he can accomplish on heights is the top of the cabinets. In Cincinnati he does breathtaking tightwire routines from the handrail on the loft...about 20 feet up.

Hershey has his starving cat act perfected to a C. He pushes on you and looks so plaintive and starved, (Although he looks a lot like Fat Albert,) that each of us feel that we must open a can of food for him...which he disdainfully sniffs and walks away.

Harry is a sensitive and sneaky person. He only loves Helene our sweet daughter, the rest of us don't exist. Harry is shy and does not encourage interaction with Sweetie or me or anyone......except when JoJo stops by and then he cannot be welcoming enough, he sits on the arm and back of her chair and puts his head down to be petted.....relentlessly.

Sweetie is the commode master and he has carried a ton of litter. (WEEKLY, he says) He keeps wanting to be promoted, but he is doing such a great job.

I keep agile removing cat hair and wiping things off, so if you want to come over I promise you won't get all hairy. That is Harry's job.

babyjayne
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Why would people that didn't own dogs want to walk in pee. I have yet to see someone curb their dog. Maybe dogs should should just wear diapers and everyone would be happy.

Pturner
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Why would people that didn't own dogs want to walk in pee.

IDK. Because it beats walking in poop?