PDA

View Full Version : Electric kettle

Dirigo
04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Does anyone have an electric kettle for boiling water for hot beverages, and if so, what brand and how do you like it?

I used one in a vacation rental house in Florida owned by folks from the UK and understand they are very popular on the other side of the pond.

We're thinking about buying one and don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

Dirigo

katezbox
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Dirigo,

I have no answer - just that an electric kettle is on my list too. Years ago I had one by Russell Hobbs given to me by my Anglophile mom-in-law following one of her trips across the pond.

This brand - once considered a top choice - no longer seems to be around. I did a bit of poking on Amazon, but have make no choice yet.

I will be very interested in comments you receive.

K

PS - during all this moving around I have become absolutely addicted to the Starbuck's tea lattes. My sweetie bought me a milk steamer for my b'day - now all I need is a good kettle.

SUNNYMARYANN
04-12-2009, 07:02 PM
WE HAVE AN ELECTRIC KETTLE AND OVER THE YEARS HAVE GONE THROUGH A FEW OF THEM. THE LATEST IS ONE I PURCHASED AT WALMART AND WE USE IT EVERY DAY TO MAKE POTS OF TEA AND FOR BOILED WATER AND ALSO FOR THE FRENCH PRESS COFFEE WE LOVE.

YOU CAN GET THEM AT VARIOUS PRICES TOO. THE ONE FROM WALMART SATIFIES OUR NEEDS. FIRST STARTED USING AN ELECTRIC KETTLE IN THE UK IN THE MID 1950'S WHILE STATIONED THERE WITH THE AIR FORCE.

I GIVE THEM AS GIFTS AND PEOPLE LOVE THEM. :agree:

tony
04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
What's the difference between an electric kettle and one you put on the stove?

hunt9791
04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
WE have a Chef's Choice stainless steel model...it's great. Don't get a plastic one as medical studies have shown some of those give off chemicals which may cause cancer?

Dirigo
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
What's the difference between an electric kettle and one you put on the stove?

Tony,

An electric kettle is a stand alone kitchen appliance that boils water faster than you can boil water in a kettle that you would put on a kitchen range.

It shuts off automatically when the water reaches the boiling point.

They are very popular in the UK.

If you go to amazon.com and do a search for electric kettles you'll see a large selection available. I can't seem to find one that stands out from the rest. Seems they all have their drawbacks, and none seem to last very long.

Still looking for a stand-out electric kettle.

Dirigo