PDA

View Full Version : dogs runny eyes

nONIE
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Does anyone have any advice on removing the runny tears from the eyes of dogs. When they dry up its like trying to get super glue out of their fur. :yuck:Thanks!

katezbox
04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have any advice on removing the runny tears from the eyes of dogs. When they dry up its like trying to get super glue out of their fur. :yuck:Thanks!

nONIE,

There is a product called Angels' Eyes that you sprinkle on the dogs' food and it prevents the tear stains. I have been told by the owner of an independent pet shop that this product is safe and works well. I have not used it yet on Finley as he doesn't have much of an issue. I would be interested in hearing from others if they have had an experience with this and if they agree (or not) about its' safety and effectiveness.

Kate

nONIE
04-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Kate, but then the question arises, does something that prevents the natural flow of tears seem healthy for the pet????:shrug:

oatmealgirls
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
I usually use a tissue to wipe away the runny tears, and I try to do this most everyday. However, if the tears do stick, I will very carefully, so as to not get it in the eyes, use baby wipes.

katezbox
04-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Kate, but then the question arises, does something that prevents the natural flow of tears seem healthy for the pet????:shrug:

Nonie,

I think it prevents the discoloration not the tears themselves.

KathieI
04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Nonie, if I understand you correctly, your asking how to remove the hardened tears from the corner of their eyes? My Nicky has a severe problem like this and I asked the vet and what I do is use warm, sterilized water and dip a gauze pad in it and gently wipe away the gunk. EWWWWW. Sometimes I wet it down a lot so it will soften it and then remove it. Try it, but not before dinner..... Miss you!!

oatmealgirls
04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
what I do is use warm, sterilized water and dip a gauze pad in it and gently wipe away the gunk.

This sounds much safer than my baby wipes suggestion and vet approved too:-)

KathieI
04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
This sounds much safer than my baby wipes suggestion and vet approved too:-)

Oatmealgirls, I just worry about all the chemicals in any of those wipes products because they have preservatives in them and they are okay for a baby's butts, but I worry about my babies (my doggies) eyes, LOL.... Yeah I think its safer but thats MHO although the vet thought it was a good one too.

oatmealgirls
04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I just worry about all the chemicals in any of those wipes products because they have preservatives in them ..... I worry about my babies (my doggies) eyes...

:agree: on all counts!

duffysmom
04-16-2009, 09:20 PM
:agree:I too, use a wet gauze pad and soak the the gunk for a few seconds and gently wipe.

tony
04-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I think nonie should quit making the dog cry.
:cryin2:

KathieI
04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I was wondering what "pearls of wisdom" Tony was gonna add to this thread. Now I know!!! Barf!!

nONIE
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Tony!!!! Well I never!!!

my job in life is to make dogs laugh:D but that was a good one!:thumbup:

chocolata
04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi Ladies
Just went to Villages Vet for this problem 2 days ago. I have an 8yr old ShihTzu - she has always had messy eyes. And it has gotten to the point that it was difficult to clean them up, on her and on me.

Dr. M did a tear test on her for dry eye -- true enough, she is not producing enough tears. Sounds strange I know, but don't believe the problem is only about having to dry up the tears. (Does that make sense.)
Anyhow, much to our dismay, she failed the tear test and he gave us a presciption that she's got to take rest of her life --- specially mixed at the Vintage Pharmacy --- $68.00/month!!!!!! BUT, we'll do it. It's all about her! :>)
FYI - he said to use a cloth of warm water, hold over eye for a minute, and then wipe ONLY in the direction of the ear for each eye.

Angel Eyes --- Linda (groomer at Village Vet, and showdog owner) recommended these highly. She said the cheapest is through Amazon.com. I got it for my sweety but she has extremely sensitive stomach and wasn't able to stay with them. I must say, though, that the few days she was on them her eyes cleared up.

Well, didn't intend to make this so long.......Hope this helps.
Chocolata

nONIE
04-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Chocolata,

Thankyou so much for this very valuable info. I will have my vet check her eyes and I will give the Angel Eyes a try.

Eve2278
04-26-2009, 12:29 AM
My vet recommended eye drops called "REFRESH" single use packages with no preservatives. Try it, its safe.This will help with the tearing which could come from allergies etc and maybe help prevent the gunk. Its very safe and I use it a few times a week if necessary. Depends on the weather. Now Angel Eyes is for the red stains that appears mostly noticable in white colored dogs. There is a variety of reasons why dogs have this problem but it worked very well for me. I used it as directed for about 8 months, went thru a large jar, cost about 60.00.Well worth it. Her face is beautiful and I have not had to reuse the product for over 18 months now. It's wonderful...Hope the info helps.

nONIE
04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Thankyou Eve.Can this be bought at the pet shops or do I have to get it directly from the vet?

Eve2278
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
The only place I have ever seen it is at the Pet stores, groomers sometime and its carried online. I saw one response that said Amazon was the cheapest. I paid 60.00 for the large but remember online you may have shipping cost. If you goggle "Angel Eyes" you'll find lots of info. I was also told the tear stain had something to do with bacteria yeast found in dogs. Don't really know much about that...but it works and I had tried almost everything and any suggestion from everywhere to clear her eyes up. This is the only thing that worked. You will see a hugh difference in several months. Just sprinkle over their food. Its so easy. Happy hunting..

Casual Carol
05-03-2009, 03:42 PM
My bichon had the nastiest eye stains. The only time she looked good was after she was groomed because they almost shaved all the hair. Since moving to the villages a year ago, she has been stain free. Go figure !!!