PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Gas versus Electric Golf Cart

NJblue
04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
This information complements the poll on golf cart brands.

l2ridehd
04-26-2009, 03:02 PM
However you left off one option. I currently have two carts. One gas and one electric. When I replace the gas I will replace it with gas and when I replace the electric I will replace it with electric. Plan to keep one of each.

elevatorman
04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks NJBLUE I posted the other poll and was going to post this one in a few days. Our home is being built in Duval ,settle 6/18. We are planning to purchase a new cart and the poll numbers will be used to help make a decision.

hdh1470
04-26-2009, 04:53 PM
been asking people for the last 7 yrs that ive been visiting most have told me electric are much faster and a better way to go,but im not so sure.I still dont know maybe this poll will help

kwachowski
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Our first golf cart was electric and it was nice and quiet. After about 2 years the batteries started to go. We were told to replace all the batteries at once otherwise the weak ones will draw out of the new ones and you will be replacing again. Batteries run about $600. We also were not getting the mileage they claimed to get. We live on the North end of the Villages Springdale and when my husband would play golf at Havana the cart would be shot for the rest of the day until it was charged. We then bought a second cart which was gas and thought we would stay with one gas and one electric, but the electric wasn't reliable so we traded it for a gas. We now have 2 gas carts and I wouldn't have electric again.

Campbell soup
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
kwachowski
Would love to have a gas cart....however, everyone that I've been in is very noisy and has quite an exhaust smell.
Are all Gas Carts this way or have I just been unlucky?
:shrug:

SteveFromNY
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I am just too concerned about running out of juice. I drive it a lot, often form one corner of TV to the other, and I like the flexibility of just stopping to fill it up.

NJblue
04-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I find it interesting that electrics are roughly 70% based on early results. Living on a golf course and hearing all the noisy gas models go by our property, I would have sworn that gas was the predominate type.

I get the impression that the higher mileage electrics (50 - 60 miles) are a fairly recent offering. I wonder if that will make them more palatable to the long distance drivers.

Shirleevee
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
We love our electric cart, however, our next addition will probably be gas. We use our cart exclusively in TV and need a gas cart so we don't run out on some of our long trips around TV. We will use the electric cart mostly and the gas for all day errands and distance requirements.

Grill Meister
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
When we made our purchase of a home in The Villages, I was asking the same question.....gas versus electric. A starter at Glenview made my decision for me: "most of the carts we have to pull off the course are electric. Although, the problem is mostly a wiring connection, it still ruins good game of golf. If you plan on charging your electric cart, going to the course and playing 18 holes and driving it home and putting back on charge, then electric is the way to go. However, with the size of TV increasing as it is, if you plan on using your cart to go all over The Villages for golf and shopping and driving at night (which will run down a battery quickly) then, there is no choice.....Gas.

Proponents of electric base their objections on noise and smell. Yes, they make more noise than electric....duh....but smell...rarely, very rarely do I smell any exhaust and then it would be in a tunnel.

Your choice!!

NJblue
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
On the issues of range: Assuming an average speed of 15 mph and an electric cart with a 60 mile range, how many people will want to spend 4 hours per day in a golf cart? I think that the one thing that an expanded TV will create is the more frequent use of cars to get to its far reaches. We live in Hemmingway and I found that even to drive a car to the far northern part of TV seemed to take forever. I don't think I would ever want to do it in a golf cart. Perhaps that's because we don't yet have golf cart fever. Once we get one, perhaps the fever will set in and my opinion will change.

gemorc
05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I have been in TV for fifteen months now, and I have noticed one thing in particular regarding gas carts. I used to stop for cart owners sitting along side of a cart path talking on their cell phones, thinking they were in some kind of trouble.

Their trouble was they can't hear the phone while driving their gas carts. Way too much NOISE.

beady
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Gas carts are faster...at least it seems so...they pass me all the time in my electric cart!!!!!!
I prefer the peace and quiet when I am riding in my electric cart......I have good luck with distance ...from Piedmont to Bonita and back with still plenty of charge.
I don't want to feel like I am on a lawn mower, it doesn't sound like I'm on a lawn mower, and it doesn't smell like I am on a lawnmower. Riding behind a gas cart in a tunnel is not a pleasant scent.
Owning an electric cart is one more thing I can do that is relatively green and environmentally friendly. Let's hope they can come up with an efficient solar powered model, perfect fit for our local.IMHO

JohnN
05-05-2009, 10:34 AM
beady, there is a solar roof available that claims on a sunny day that your battery will basically maintain it's charge - riding for free. It's about $1,700 as I recall.

MelZ
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
beady, there is a solar roof available that claims on a sunny day that your battery will basically maintain it's charge - riding for free. It's about $1,700 as I recall.

http://www.sungosystems.com/