PDA

View Full Version : Need ride to visit stroke victim

mookoman
05-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi, My mother had a stroke several weeks ago and is doing pretty well, considering the severity. I was able to stay a few weeks with her and then needed to return to work in another state. My Dad is 84 , lives in The Villages and doesn't drive. My mom is in Lake Harris Health Center in Leesburg. My Dad planned on taking the bus from Spanish Springs to Leesburg. It is ok going there but is way long on the way home and it doesn't seem like it will work without affecting his health.

I am looking for any private or organization services that can help getting my Dad to and from visiting my Mom. Or, maybe just getting him back as the trip there is not that bad. She does best when family visits daily. We will pay and also have a car that can be used.

My Mom moved from Marco Island where she used to transport people in similar situations and received several "Kindness Awards" for this. I am hoping that I can find something that will work now for her.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or can help.

Thanks so much.

Leslie

graciegirl
05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh Leslie.

I would be glad to do it. But I just left The Villages a couple of days ago. I know some kind person will step up.

mookoman
05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Gracie. WE really thought that once my mom was stable it would work out. But now, 2 days after I am back in OR, I am realizing that it is not going to work like we thought. I am desparately trying to arrange things so that I can get back down without losing my job, so any assistance, and postive energy (as you just sent) is greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Cassie325
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Do they belong to a local church in TV's? That would be my first start...there are also several organizations in town that may be able to help. Unfortunately I have the list in my office....which I won't get to until Monday....will check on this posting Monday night.

HOWEVER....I know that under the Helping Hands thread there is a list of members that have volunteered time and services.....I have no doubt someone may step up...however it is usually best to go with a reputable organization or church.....just to be on the safe side.

KathieI
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Mookoman, I understand your frustration being so far away from your parents, and I'd like to offer my help, at least for the short term. I will be happy to help you, I'll pm you my email address and we can discuss the possibilities. You will need to get this started asap, so that your dad can continue to see your mom every day. Maybe I can even help in finding a long term solution for you. I'll include my phone number as well. I hope I can help you. Kathie

CAL
05-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Mookoman, I would also be available to assist with transportation. I will PM my contact information.

Cassie325
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Mookoman, I understand your frustration being so far away from your parents, and I'd like to offer my help, at least for the short term. I will be happy to help you, I'll pm you my email address and we can discuss the possibilities. You will need to get this started asap, so that your dad can continue to see your mom every day. Maybe I can even help in finding a long term solution for you. I'll include my phone number as well. I hope I can help you. Kathie

Ok....well ok....you can feel safe with Kathie too!!! One of the best people in the whole world!!!

KathieI
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok....well ok....you can feel safe with Kathie too!!! One of the best people in the whole world!!!

Thanks, Cassie, for your vote of confidence. I'll try to behave myself. :o

graciegirl
05-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Do they belong to a local church in TV's? That would be my first start...there are also several organizations in town that may be able to help. Unfortunately I have the list in my office....which I won't get to until Monday....will check on this posting Monday night.

HOWEVER....I know that under the Helping Hands thread there is a list of members that have volunteered time and services.....I have no doubt someone may step up...however it is usually best to go with a reputable organization or church.....just to be on the safe side.

Gee. We folks aren't reputable?

Just kidding Cassie.:laugh:;)

mookoman
05-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you all. I was unable to get on yesterday so am sorry for my late response. The shock of a stroke is phenomenal, not only to the survivor, but also to the caretakers. Unfortunately, the prime caretaker, my Dad is now having trouble and is refusing all assistance. I am hoping that this situation will resolve and I can contact you back in a couple of days. He needs help but won’t accept.

Stubborness runs in our family. The nurses said that they thought my mother’s stubborness will be what saves her. (i.e., I will not let this beat me...). I am worried about my Dad’s stubborness affecting both of their health.

I hope that I can get back to you Cal and Kathie, and thanks Cassie and Gracie for your posts and encouragement. It may take a few days to get my Dad to accept the help he needs.

Leslie

mookoman
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I want to thank everyone that replied to my May request. Although my father opted to use the Leesburg bus, your kindness and thoughts helped tremendously. My mother is now at home (just 1 week as of now) and the prognosis is encouraging.