PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Trojan

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Less than two years ago I had six Ranger batteries in stall in my Club Car at the cost of about $1,200.
I was told at the time that I would be able to go 50-60 miles on a charge and that under normal use the batteries would last four to five years.
The batteries came with an 18 month warranty.
About four months ago I noticed that I was not getting the mileage I should so I checked the specific gravity of the batteries. I found that one battery had one dead cell. I called Battery Boys who installed the batteries and they told me that the warranty had expired a month before.
I was not happy, but I figured these things happen. I had them install a new battery for $200. When the tech installed them he suggested that if I have any more problems I get in touch with Trojan. He gave me the impression that this was not uncommon and to expect more trouble.
I contacted Trojan about the one battery not asking for anything and got a run around. They told me that along with properly watering the batteries, which I do religiously, I should also check the specific gravity once a month.
I'm not sure how this is going to prevent anything, but the next month I checked and found two dead cells one in each of two batteries.
I've been e-mailing back and forth with Trojan and all they'll say is they can't do anything because they are past warranty. What I asked for was a partial credit on the new batteries that I'm going to have to buy.The company suggested that I contact their Master Distributor to see if they can do anything.
I realize the warranty has expired, but it seems to be pretty unreasonable that three batteries all die within one or two months of the warranty expiring. It also seems strange to me that when I contact the company they suggest that I contact a distributor.
Anyroad, I'm just venting here, but I would suggest that anyone who is considering Ranger batteries, or any Trojan product for that matter consider this and think carefully about it.
Like I said, I got the impression for the tech that installed the battery that this is a fairly common occurrence with Ranger batteries.

villagetinker
12-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Dr., I agree that this appears to be premature failure, while I do not have an electric cart, my automotive batteries which are subjected to much higher heat ( but lower cycling) typically last 4-5 years.

Did you use distilled water to fill the batteries? Did you always keep the batteries charged? Did you notice a difference in the amount of water used between batteries or cell within batteries? Does the cart sit for extended periods with out being used? Do you use a trickle or battery minder type of charger if no using the cart for an extend period? Did you see any corrosion on the batteries?

These are the type of questions that the manufacturer and dealer are thinking about, and probably why they are reluctant to replace/credit batteries, too many things can go wrong by the end user.

I have seen reports that some of the new (2017) gas carts are very quite and fume free, and that is what I will be looking at when we get ready to replace our cart.

I know this does not help, but I am sorry for your problems.

Rapscallion St Croix
12-07-2016, 10:40 AM
Don't overlook the possibility that the problem could be your cart, your charger, or even your charging habits.

graciegirl
12-07-2016, 10:42 AM
OMG...change the title Doc. I thought someone got pregnant!!!

:1rotfl:

alwann
12-07-2016, 10:59 AM
What is "specific gravity" and how do I check it?

photo1902
12-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Dr., I agree that this appears to be premature failure, while I do not have an electric cart, my automotive batteries which are subjected to much higher heat ( but lower cycling) typically last 4-5 years.

Did you use distilled water to fill the batteries? Did you always keep the batteries charged? Did you notice a difference in the amount of water used between batteries or cell within batteries? Does the cart sit for extended periods with out being used? Do you use a trickle or battery minder type of charger if no using the cart for an extend period? Did you see any corrosion on the batteries?

These are the type of questions that the manufacturer and dealer are thinking about, and probably why they are reluctant to replace/credit batteries, too many things can go wrong by the end user.

I have seen reports that some of the new (2017) gas carts are very quite and fume free, and that is what I will be looking at when we get ready to replace our cart.

I know this does not help, but I am sorry for your problems.

VT, you should go test drive the 2017 Yamaha. They're extremely quiet and smooth riding. If our 2014 ever gives out, that'll be our replacement.

SALYBOW
12-07-2016, 11:03 AM

I agree with Gracie. I was startled at first

Boomer
12-07-2016, 11:30 AM

I agree with Gracie. I was startled at first

I thought the exact same thing!

DonH57
12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
It had me wondering there for a moment as well.

village dreamer
12-07-2016, 01:41 PM
when I was a young man , I went to the drug store to buy some Trojans ,the man said to me that will be $3.95 plus tax. I said plus tax , dont they stay on by themselves.......................................I was very young

Blackie
12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
So perhaps it is worthwhile contacting the vendor a month before the warranty is over and asking them to come out and check the batteries.

karostay
12-07-2016, 02:20 PM
:gc: Gas

rubicon
12-07-2016, 03:21 PM
OP, when I purchased my 2006 club cart new it came with trojan batteries. they went kaput in 1.5 years and neither club cart nor the dealer would honor the warranty. I then had a repair guy fit my cart for 6 trojan batteries they also went kaput in about two years. the repairman then replace them with powertrons that held up for 5 years
i then purchased a gas cart.

Trojan has been having problems for quite some time

CWGUY
12-07-2016, 03:40 PM
:gc: Gas

:thumbup: I AGREE! :boom: I think the others take BEAN-O.... they don't want "gas" :oops::yuck:

CFrance
12-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Me too!:D:D

rubicon
12-08-2016, 05:35 AM
My thought patterns would never take me there but then I purchased many batteries but never, not once in my life the other product. Same applies to coke, mine is served in a glass with ice

Again I had two sets of Trojan batteries that failed

fred53
12-08-2016, 08:13 AM
What is "specific gravity" and how do I check it?

you're asking this on a computer. Why not just google "testing specific gravity of batteries"?

Bay Kid
12-08-2016, 08:47 AM
VT, you should go test drive the 2017 Yamaha. They're extremely quiet and smooth riding. If our 2014 ever gives out, that'll be our replacement.

I got Mom and Dad a 2017 Yamaha. It really takes the bumps nice, BUT everyday when they go for a ride Mom says the gas fumes come in the cart and Dad agrees. It is worse with the sides curtains down. No exhaust pipe. So the fumes are to stay in the engine compartment?

biker1
12-08-2016, 08:58 AM
When we were looking for a golf cart about 3 years ago, I asked several dealers about the lifespan of a set of batteries, for an electric cart, in terms of miles. I received some vague answers. One dealer did say 8K miles. Based on our anticipated usage (4k miles per year), this would equate to 2 years. I accepted that this estimate could be either low or high.

A gas cart would cost about $160 per year for fuel for 4k miles and I estimated the engine would be good for about 4k hours or about 60k miles (that is 15 years). By the way, the electricity for electric carts would be about $80 per year for the same number of miles. We bought a gas cart.

While I anticipated lower cost of ownership for a gas cart, that was only part of the equation; I expected the gas cart to be less overall effort and worries to own. The maintenance for a gas cart is minimal and I do it myself - about 1 hour per year for gas cart specific maintenance - oil changes and air filter and spark plug replacement. The battery (for starting the engine) is essentially a no-maintenance "car class" battery and should last about as long as car batteries last in hot climates; 4-5 years. The gas carts do have 2 belts but they are easy to replace and low cost and should last several years.

When factoring in the price of fuel (gasoline for gas carts and electricity for electric cart), maintenance costs, and battery replacement costs, I estimated the cost per mile for a gas cart at approximately 6 cents per mile and the cost per mile for an electric cart at approximately 14 cents per mile. Most of the cost per mile for an electric cart is the battery replacement. Batteries that are reputed to last longer won't necessarily change the numbers as they will also cost more. The assumption is the engine of the gas cart will never be replaced/rebuilt because we would likely get a new cart after 15 years.

Less than two years ago I had six Ranger batteries in stall in my Club Car at the cost of about $1,200.
I was told at the time that I would be able to go 50-60 miles on a charge and that under normal use the batteries would last four to five years.
About four months ago I noticed that I was not getting the mileage I should so I checked the specific gravity of the batteries. I found that one battery had one dead cell. I called Battery Boys who installed the batteries and they told me that the warranty had expired a month before.
I was not happy, but I figured these things happen. I had them install a new battery for $200. When the tech installed them he suggested that if I have any more problems I get in touch with Trojan. He gave me the impression that this was not uncommon and to expect more trouble.
I contacted Trojan about the one battery not asking for anything and got a run around. They told me that along with properly watering the batteries, which I do religiously, I should also check the specific gravity once a month.
I'm not sure how this is going to prevent anything, but the next month I checked and found two dead cells one in each of two batteries.
I've been e-mailing back and forth with Trojan and all they'll say is they can't do anything because they are past warranty. What I asked for was a partial credit on the new batteries that I'm going to have to buy.The company suggested that I contact their Master Distributor to see if they can do anything.
I realize the warranty has expired, but it seems to be pretty unreasonable that three batteries all die within one or two months of the warranty expiring. It also seems strange to me that when I contact the company they suggest that I contact a distributor.
Anyroad, I'm just venting here, but I would suggest that anyone who is considering Ranger batteries, or any Trojan product for that matter consider this and think carefully about it.
Like I said, I got the impression for the tech that installed the battery that this is a fairly common occurrence with Ranger batteries.

jimbo2012
12-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Jim, these rangers R having issues, my set had a bad cell in one also but under warranty.

They do extend drive time 35%

My next set will be Lithium, 15 year life span no water if one goes bad not a big deal there are are 15 small ones, with solar the cost drops dramatically.

Without solar they charge in 2 hours plugged in.

Just came out with a lower priced 72 amp pack with solar I expect 110 mile range.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Yes, yes, no, no, N/A, no.

I maintain batteries properly.

And for the rest of you, please do not suggest that I go tot a gas cart. We all have our preferences. Mine is not the same as yours.

jimbo2012
12-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Gas cart stink............

They pollute the air we breath

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-08-2016, 10:17 AM
OP, when I purchased my 2006 club cart new it came with trojan batteries. they went kaput in 1.5 years and neither club cart nor the dealer would honor the warranty. I then had a repair guy fit my cart for 6 trojan batteries they also went kaput in about two years. the repairman then replace them with powertrons that held up for 5 years
i then purchased a gas cart.

Trojan has been having problems for quite some time

The problem is that, as far as I know, Powertron doesn't make a battery that is the equivalent of the Ranger. My only option with them would be to go to eight sixes which would require modifications to the cart. I got the Rangers to avoid that.

I've had Trojans that lasted four years. I honestly think that there is a problem with the Ranger battery and Trojan won't admit it.

The tech that installed my batteries and also installed the new one after it went daed, didn't say as much but hinted that that was the case.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Jim, these rangers R having issues, my set had a bad cell in one also but under warranty.

They do extend drive time 35%

My next set will be Lithium, 15 year life span no water if one goes bad not a big deal there are are 15 small ones, with solar the cost drops dramatically.

Without solar they charge in 2 hours plugged in.

Just came out with a lower priced 72 amp pack with solar I expect 110 mile range.

What is the cost of lithium? I was thinking of going there next, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. What is the AH rating? I really don't need 110 miles. When I got the Rangers I was told fifty to sixty miles and that was fine with me. Is there a lithium pack that will 60 miles on a charge?

Rollie
12-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Hey Doc, I also had a problem with my Trojans. I don't have the rangers, but two of mine went bad about a month out of warranty. I have never had battery issues before, and Like you, take very good care of my batteries.

Rollie

jimbo2012
12-09-2016, 08:39 AM
What is the cost of lithium? I was thinking of going there next, but I didn't expect it to be this soon. What is the AH rating? I really don't need 110 miles. When I got the Rangers I was told fifty to sixty miles and that was fine with me. Is there a lithium pack that will 60 miles on a charge?

Yes the 60AH unit hands down should go 60, with solar 80, then adding solar saves 30% on the Lithium as well.

Jim, give me a call if you want to get more details

Currently they make 60, 72 & 100 AH systems

ajbrown
12-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Doc, first off the situation you describe s*cks. I have not experienced that, but can imagine the frustration.

Do you feel you pushed the cart that far, like more than 35 miles/use? No fault as people tell us they will go 50 miles. I recall charts that showed always discharging a cart to 40% would yield about 600 cycles.

If yes, did you ever measure voltage when arriving home, possibly they were being discharged a bit too much on each cycle?

This post is not to put fault on anyone, I enjoy my electric carts and am honestly curious...

PS. IMO, the folks selling rangers (and Par Cars) claiming they go 60 miles should come with a caveat, do not do that very often :)

dietpepsi
12-17-2016, 08:44 PM
I got Mom and Dad a 2017 Yamaha. It really takes the bumps nice, BUT everyday when they go for a ride Mom says the gas fumes come in the cart and Dad agrees. It is worse with the sides curtains down. No exhaust pipe. So the fumes are to stay in the engine compartment?

this is EXACTLY what the salesman at the villages golf cart told me,,, he said going a long ride with it your going to have carbon monoxide problems in the cabin,, and NO they are not that much improvement in the noise, you can not have a radio on to be able to hear it.,, just salesmanship

ColdNoMore
12-17-2016, 10:41 PM
I know two people who have had a solar system installed and both of them said they "think" they get a little better mileage...but it wasn't enough to tell a big difference.

They both said that for the expense, if they knew then what they know now...they would have never done it.

Although I'm not in the market now for new batteries, when it's time I will definitely take a look at lithium, talk to others that have them...then crunch the numbers before I pull the trigger.

Barefoot
12-17-2016, 11:38 PM

this is EXACTLY what the salesman at the villages golf cart told me,,, he said going a long ride with it your going to have carbon monoxide problems in the cabin,, and NO they are not that much improvement in the noise, you can not have a radio on to be able to hear it.,, just salesmanship

We were recently looking at new gas golf carts at Villages Golfcarts.
I expressed a concern about the noise and about the stinky gas fumes.
The salesman told me it's impossible to avoid gas fumes no matter how new the golf cart is.

rubicon
12-18-2016, 05:14 AM

jimbo: So is one to assume you also drive an electric car?

I keep reading on these pages that gas cart stink but short of going through a tunnel haven't had that experience. Nor have I had the experience of smelling gas fumes with my enclosures all tightly secured from the cold.

What I have experienced however is the elimination of my distance anxiety.

I loved my electric cart, the quiet of it, etc but The Villages's expansion stretched the viability of my battery operated unit beyond comfortable for me.

I only use my golf cart for golf. However I now schedule golf on either the north or south side of The villages to take advantage of the multiple courses offered and I do so without hesitation, something I would not do when I owned an electric cart.

Like all issues its a personal choice and there is no right or wrong only what suit you as an individual

KennyP
12-18-2016, 10:00 AM
I know two people who have had a solar system installed and both of them said they "think" they get a little better mileage...but it wasn't enough to tell a big difference.

They both said that for the expense, if they knew then what they know now...they would have never done it.

Although I'm not in the market now for new batteries, when it's time I will definitely take a look at lithium, talk to others that have them...then crunch the numbers before I pull the trigger.

Solar is not the answer, you just cant put a big enough panel on the roof of your cart to get any distance or enough amps to charge the batteries.
Smoke and mirrors, don't believe the hype

PaulDenise
12-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Who has the best prices on Trojans around here. I just need 2 for my RV.

784caroline
12-18-2016, 05:45 PM
Just ordered 6 Trojan 875s....delivered, installed epa and state tax...$697...Gatorland Golf Carts in Ocala. 3rd set I have replaced and almost like clockwork they all die at 3 years.

renrod
12-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Just ordered 6 Trojan 875s....delivered, installed epa and state tax...$697...Gatorland Golf Carts in Ocala. 3rd set I have replaced and almost like clockwork they all die at 3 years.
Then why did you buy another set?

EdFNJ
12-18-2016, 09:41 PM

That sounds like the dealer wanted to sell you an electric for whatever reason (more inventory, better commission etc). If the fumes from a gas cart would cause you "to have carbon monoxide (CO) problems in the cabin" I highly doubt they would be able to sell them plus you would find dead bodies scattered all over the road as CO KILLS (or at the least SICKENS) quite quickly and you cannot SMELL IT. I have experienced CO poisoning once years ago and I can assure you if that was happening you'd have heard about it on TV and by a recall from the manufacturer after the first lawsuit for wrongful death was filed.

What he PROBABLY said (or meant) was you can't avoid the odor of the exhaust which I also doubt and hope to find out sooner rather than later. To say you would have CO problems in gas carts is both alarmist and patently untrue. The odor of exhaust and carbon monoxide are 2 different issues. They can be related but in this case I would strongly think they are not.

Jrs1958
12-19-2016, 03:58 AM
Usually if one battery goes bad you have to replace all batteries that are connected. Mixing old and new batteries doesn't work.

jimbo2012
12-19-2016, 05:04 AM
We were recently looking at new gas golf carts at Villages Golfcarts.
I expressed a concern about the noise and about the stinky gas fumes.
The salesman told me it's impossible to avoid gas fumes no matter how new the golf cart is.

Agree very true

jimbo: So is one to assume you also drive an electric car?

Tesla on order

What I have experienced however is the elimination of my distance anxiety.

I loved my electric cart, the quiet of it, etc but The Villages's expansion stretched the viability of my battery operated unit beyond comfortable for me.

I only use my golf cart for golf. However I now schedule golf on either the north or south side of The villages to take advantage of the multiple courses offered and I do so without hesitation, something I would not do when I owned an electric cart.

Adding my solar system will get you 70 miles, is that not enough?

If you add lithium batteries 100-120 miles

Solar is not the answer, you just cant put a big enough panel on the roof of your cart to get any distance or enough amps to charge the batteries.
Smoke and mirrors, don't believe the hype

That was correct years ago but now it is the answer,

If they were maintain with solar 5 years + is the norm

Usually if one battery goes bad you have to replace all batteries that are connected. Mixing old and new batteries doesn't work.

correct unless they are within 6-9 months

If you doubt the viability of solar Ill be happy to talk about it and prove it works. :read:

OhioBuckeye
12-19-2016, 11:12 AM
I know you from billards. I think you're about as honest of a person that I've met here in TV, so if anyone reads this believe what Dr. Winston O.Boogle Jr. tells you. If you don't well it sounds like you're going to get taken for $1,000.+ too. Electric carts are expensive to replace batteries every 5 to 6 yrs. Personally I favor gas carts. Believe what Dr. Winston O. Boogle Jr. tells you & you'll save yourself a lot of money & if you don't, well, you just got taken!

jimbo2012
12-19-2016, 07:29 PM
I know the Doc as well, I don't think honesty is the ? I agree he's honest.

But to say he's been taken isn't fair, those batteries cost $1,000 for a set because they have 35% more power.

Batteries go bad from time to time, stuff happens

Bay Kid
12-20-2016, 07:33 AM
That sounds like the dealer wanted to sell you an electric for whatever reason (more inventory, better commission etc). If the fumes from a gas cart would cause you "to have carbon monoxide (CO) problems in the cabin" I highly doubt they would be able to sell them plus you would find dead bodies scattered all over the road as CO KILLS (or at the least SICKENS) quite quickly and you cannot SMELL IT. I have experienced CO poisoning once years ago and I can assure you if that was happening you'd have heard about it on TV and by a recall from the manufacturer after the first lawsuit for wrongful death was filed.

What he PROBABLY said (or meant) was you can't avoid the odor of the exhaust which I also doubt and hope to find out sooner rather than later. To say you would have CO problems in gas carts is both alarmist and patently untrue. The odor of exhaust and carbon monoxide are 2 different issues. They can be related but in this case I would strongly think they are not.

The 2017 Yamaha has NO exhaust because they say you don't need one...until you put the enclosure down.

EdFNJ
12-20-2016, 09:20 PM
The 2017 Yamaha has NO exhaust because they say you don't need one...until you put the enclosure down.

Huh? It has no exhaust? Wha? Hmmmm! Where does all the dirty stuff come out of? Sure looked like it did to me which is why some dealers advertise "exhaust pipe extensions for your New 2017 Yama-mama EFI." Never seen a combustion engine without some sort of exhaust! Maybe the dealer actually said "it's late in the day and I'm exhaust-less". :D

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
12-21-2016, 07:43 AM
I know the Doc as well, I don't think honesty is the ? I agree he's honest.

But to say he's been taken isn't fair, those batteries cost $1,000 for a set because they have 35% more power.

Batteries go bad from time to time, stuff happens

I agree Jimbo, but I pout in what I was told were the best batteries made and three of the went dead in less than two years. I don't say that I've been taken. I think that every product made is going to have a few bad ones and I just happened to get three of the bad ones.

While I realize that the warranty is 18 months, I just consider it more then a bit unusual that I would have three batteries go in 22 months.

I would think that Trojan would want to stand by their product and make good in a situation like this.

I'm only asking for batteries at half price or at their cost. I would think that that would be worth it to the to protect their good name.

Barefoot
12-21-2016, 04:34 PM
....If the fumes from a gas cart would cause you "to have carbon monoxide (CO) problems in the cabin" I highly doubt they would be able to sell them plus you would find dead bodies scattered all over the road as CO KILLS (or at the least SICKENS) quite quickly and you cannot SMELL IT.
You deserve kudos for visualization. :ho: I think some of us may be mixing up smelly gas fumes with carbon monoxide problems.

MorTech
01-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Not all batteries are the same. DPI makes a smart charger that has user selectable charge profiles depending on battery manufacture. Do not over or under water the battery. Trojan makes a single point watering system for about $200 and takes me literally 4 minutes each month to top off all batteries with $0.30 of distilled water...easier than pumping gas. Extreme heat kills batteries as well but investing in a smart charger (Like DPI or Lester - For older carts without smart chargers) and using the correct charge algorithm mode should yield the average Villages electric cart owner about 5-6 years of battery life.

http://www.dpipower.com/store/MNUL/General_Chargers.pdf

blueash
01-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Here's a thought. If you paid for your batteries with a credit card [do they take credit cards?] most of the credit cards have a feature where they increase the manufacturer's warranty. Credit Card Extended Warranty Report: What Type of Credit Card is Best? | WalletHub(R) (https://wallethub.com/edu/credit-card-extended-warranty-study/25686/)
One more reason to use your credit card. Get out the paperwork or go to the website of your credit card and check for this feature and the fine print.