PDA

View Full Version : 3D Movies

Aceskaters
05-26-2009, 03:56 PM
There seem to be a lot of movies coming out in 3D. Does anyone know...is it expensive for a theater to get whatever is needed to show the movies in 3D? I have heard that Coraline was much better viewed in 3D and now Up is getting a lot of press and I can't wait for Ice Age 3 to come out, but it would be great if we could see them here in The Villages in 3D.

Jenna22
09-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I would think that it is a little more expensive for the movies to be shown in 3d. You have two options, either the imax version on the real 3d one where they make you wear the 3d glasses. Imax is defnitley more expensive because the tickets cost almost twice as much to watch a movie!

diskman
09-10-2009, 01:16 AM
There seem to be a lot of movies coming out in 3D. Does anyone know...is it expensive for a theater to get whatever is needed to show the movies in 3D? I have heard that Coraline was much better viewed in 3D and now Up is getting a lot of press and I can't wait for Ice Age 3 to come out, but it would be great if we could see them here in The Villages in 3D.

I believe I read the equipment cost $65,000. Here in southern calif they charge
$11.00 per ticket or more depending on the theatre

Ooper
09-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Excluding I-Max movies and equipment, it shouldn't cost more to show typical 3D movies in terms of equipment. 3D movies are shown on existing equipment. The only cost increase imposed might be due to an increased cost of the 3D glasses and maybe an increased cost of the movie rental to the theater for the cost of production. It is the filming of the movies that requires new equipment. One can even watch 3D on their home systems if the movie is filmed in 3D... all you need are the 3D glasses to filter the images to the proper eyes.