PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel

LELANDJANE
06-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm going on a short cruise in August. It will be my first.
Has anyone been on a cruise to Cozumel? If so, do you have suggestions for shore excursions?

Thanks

swrinfla
06-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Lelandjane:

Naturally, much depends upon what your interests are.

If you're really active, almost any of the "watersport" offerings might suit. That is, snorkeling, swimming, beaching, etc., etc. Just read the description of each quite closely, as there will undoubtedly be several which are almost exactly the same. Try to figure out what's different between them, book the one that offers the most.

If you're more interested in history and culture, you'll have many fewer options. Indeed, the most significant excursions will take you to the Yucatan mainland to visit Mayan ruins. Tulum will probably be featured, and it is, indeed, a fascinating place. Very unlike more inland ruins, but still fun.

When I was last in Cozumel in 2007 (actually, on the very same day as we had our very own Groundhog Day tornado here in TV), I took the "Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting" tour. It was a huge amount of fun, and the half-dozen or so of us had a ball, cooking and eating our own lunch. All under the guidance of a very enthusiastic young chef (as older folk, some of us called him a child, but he was, perhaps, 30!) None of us suffered any ills for having cooked our own lunch, and I called it very well worth the $74 it cost me then.

As a frequent cruiser who has just recently completed my 12th cruise, I hope you have great fun on your first one. It is now my very favorite way to travel, and I try to do at least two each year.

If I can help you with individual questions, please feel free to PM me.

:beer3:

SWR

Bonny
06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
We always go to Playa Mia beach. Lots of fun. You don't have to take the ship's tour cuz there are cabs constantly going back & forth. You can add the all you can drink package and/or the meal package. Or you can just buy food & drinks. Lots of water activities.
Most of the ships offer the cooking program as listed in the above post. One of the groups go there & I always see them having a great time.

Becky
06-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Don't forget to go to Carlos & Charlie's! Always a lot of fun! Agree with Bonny on Playa Mia as far as a beach.

Becky

The Great Fumar
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
If snorkeling is your thing, On the west shore of the Island out about 50 yds in 35 ft of water is a wrecked c-46 airplane laying upside down on the bottom. it was placed there several years ago for the making of a movie , Now thousands of fish live in it ......There is a yellow buoy that marks the spot......Its very popular so a lot of people will be there.............

have fun ..Fumar

KayakerNC
06-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Cozumel is a jewelry shopper's paradise. Just ask my wife.:pepper2:
Las Palmeras is a great place for lunch and people watching, located just across the street form the ferry to the mainland, a beautiful water view from your table.

MelZ
06-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Cozumel is a beautiful but rather small island, if you want ruins go to the mainland. If I could only do one thing I would go to Chakunab (my spelling). which is a national park on a beautiful lagoon. great snorkeling and nice foliage and critters.

the lighthouse and surrounding beaches are very pretty, there is a small museum in town and of course shopping.

cybrgeezer
06-08-2009, 11:33 AM
A couple of ideas: If you're into SCUBA, there is a good dive shop on the southwest part of the island, across from a large hotel (I can't remember the name, but I could find it).

Just off the dock in front of the dive shop, you can dive "The Wall," which is a sheer cliff of coral going way too deep for me to see (I didn't bring or rent a light--will next time). Water is clear and visibility is good to at least 60 feet or so. It's been quite a few years since I dived that spot, so I probably forgot some details.

Another idea, on dry land, rent a motor scooter and explore the wild (east) side of the island. It's hard to get lost and a lot of fun.

And ditto on the beach (Oh, those margaritas!) and Carlos & Charlie's.