PDA

View Full Version : Bikers and Golf Carts

TheDude
01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
I followed a bike for 2+ miles. There was a cart coming in the other direction every time there was a two lane and had a straightaway to pass, and on the split lanes I couldn't pass.

Is this normal? Will this happen more during Jan to Mar? Did I just have bad timing? Should the biker ride in the middle of the path when there is faster traffic.

With that said, could people walking just walk in the middle of the path also.

Now before the haters, I had no problem, I'm retired so not in a rush and I was listening to my radio, so all good... except I would prefer to go 20 MPH over 10 MPH.

I just want to know proper etiquette.

Edjkoz
01-04-2017, 08:29 PM
It can be a problem, especially this time of year. It takes patience

DonH57
01-04-2017, 08:45 PM
I'm missing something here. Is the motorcycle in the cart lane doing 10 mph and you are following in a golf cart wanting to pass maintaining your 20 mph max limit? If the motorcycle is a registered vehicle it's not to be in the cart lane.

Fredman
01-04-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm missing something here. Is the motorcycle in the cart lane doing 10 mph and you are following in a golf cart wanting to pass maintaining your 20 mph max limit? If the motorcycle is a registered vehicle it's not to be in the cart lane.

Yep you are definitely missing something

RickeyD
01-04-2017, 10:26 PM
I followed a bike for 2+ miles. There was a cart coming in the other direction every time there was a two lane and had a straightaway to pass, and on the split lanes I couldn't pass.

Is this normal? Will this happen more during Jan to Mar? Did I just have bad timing? Should the biker ride in the middle of the path when there is faster traffic.

Now before the haters, I had no problem, I'm retired so not in a rush and I was listening to my radio, so all good... except I would prefer to go 20 MPH over 10 MPH.

I bike and I would have rode to the extreme right so you and others could pass. The biker you were behind was simply exercising his right to feeling entitled.

Polar Bear
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
What RickeyD said.

On wide sections I ride to the right. On divided sections I go off to the grass so the cart can pass...that's why I ride a hybrid instead of a road bike.

DonH57
01-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Yep you are definitely missing something

Yes, I did indeed. Thanks for the correction. When someone uses the term " biker", I'm thinking motorcycle and not bicycle.

biker1
01-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Irrelevant. The undivided MMPs are not wide enough for two golf carts (one in each direction) and a bike to be abreast of each other at the same time. The divided parts of the MMPs are not wide enough for a golf cart and a bike to be abreast of each other at the same time. Golf carts should pass when there is nothing coming in the other direction (on the undivided parts of the MMPs). If that takes a bit of time then it is what it is - the MMPs are a shared resource for carts, bikes, and walkers. The situation is no different than if you are behind a golf cart doing 12 MPH (which I do see on occasion) or you are driving your car on a 2-lane road and you are behind someone who is going slower than you wish to go.

I bike and I would have rode to the extreme right so you and others could pass. The biker you were behind was simply exercising his right to feeling entitled.

Polar Bear
01-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Irrelevant. The undivided MMPs are not wide enough for two golf carts (one in each direction) and a bike to be abreast of each other at the same time. The divided parts of the MMPs are not wide enough for a golf cart and a bike to be abreast of each other at the same time. Golf carts should pass when there is nothing coming in the other direction (on the undivided parts of the MMPs). If that takes a bit of time then it is what it is - the MMPs are a shared resource for carts, bikes, and walkers. The situation is no different than if you are behind a golf cart doing 12 MPH (which I do see on occasion) or you are driving your car on a 2-lane road and you are behind someone who is going slower than you wish to go.
You're thoughts are reasonable of course, But why you deem the op irrelevant escapes me.

graciegirl
01-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Patience. That is what you can do and all you can do.

biker1
01-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Riding to the extreme right is irrelevant because it doesn't change the geometry of the situation - there isn't enough room for two golf carts and a bike to coexist. Also, riding to the extreme right is dangerous, for a variety of reasons such as it encourages people to pass in a dangerous manner.

You're thoughts are reasonable of course, But why you deem the op irrelevant escapes me.

Polar Bear
01-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Riding to the extreme right is irrelevant because it doesn't change the geometry of the situation - there isn't enough room for two golf carts and a bike to coexist. Also, riding to the extreme right is dangerous, for a variety of reasons such as it encourages people to pass in a dangerous manner.
You're first word (sentence actually) was 'irrelevant' in response to his entire post. He asked a reasonable question or two imo. You were the one who got into a detailed technical discussion...not him.

biker1
01-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Go back and reread post #5, the one I was responding to. There were no questions asked. He made a statement about riding as far right as possible. I responded that it is irrelevant (because it won't make a difference in the ability of a golf cart to pass a cyclist if another cart is coming from the other direction - the gist of post #1). Understand now or do you want to continue to beat the horse? I really fail to understand the need to respond to facts.

You're first word (sentence actually) was 'irrelevant' in response to his entire post. He asked a reasonable question or two imo. You were the one who got into a detailed technical discussion...not him.

Polar Bear
01-05-2017, 01:43 PM
I see that now, biker1. Actually I even mentioned the 'op' in my first reply to your 'irrelevant' post, making my mistake very clear. You could have been a little easier on me! :1rotfl: :1rotfl: :1rotfl: