PDA

View Full Version : Wvlg

rshoffer
06-14-2009, 06:09 AM
WOW... is WVLG ever a great radio station! A year ago I said to my wife, "I'da moved here just to listen to this station."
Does anybody know how long it's been on the air?
Where do the DJ's come from/ Are they all Villagers?
I do wish they had a Sun am Beatle's Brunch like my oldies station back home.:pepper2:

Hawkwind
06-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Try WIND FM out of Gainsville if you are into Oldies. It is on 92.5 on the FM dial and has coverage thought TV. Or better yet you can listen live over the internet.

It is better than the Oldies stations that we have here in northern Ohio and I listen to it all the time. In the winter it was nice to listen to the weather reports of temps in the 70's and it was 5 degrees here and snowing.

cybrgeezer
06-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Actually, the station in Gainesville is WNDT. WIND is in Chicago.

In the Central Florida area, I also listen to the oldies station out of Ocala, WMFQ at 92.9 FM; good, strong signal in The Villages.

WVLG is a good station, but the AM signal is a bit muddy; FM is sharper. But when traveling, I've tuned in to WVLG and gotten it a pretty good distance from The Villages, like in Inverness and (scratchy) in Crystal River.

My early working life (starting at age 17) was in radio and I keep up with it somewhat. I've told friends and family that I started as the youngest announcer in the St. Louis market and might need to go back to work part-time in the business as maybe the oldest announcer in some other market someday.

I wonder if WVLG will be hiring when I'm ready to move ... ?

LELANDJANE
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
WVLG has always been one of my favorite parts about the villages. When I leave I always listen going up I75 all the way past Gainesville.

rshoffer
06-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Actually, the station in Gainesville is WNDT. WIND is in Chicago.

In the Central Florida area, I also listen to the oldies station out of Ocala, WMFQ at 92.9 FM; good, strong signal in The Villages.

WVLG is a good station, but the AM signal is a bit muddy; FM is sharper. But when traveling, I've tuned in to WVLG and gotten it a pretty good distance from The Villages, like in Inverness and (scratchy) in Crystal River.

My early working life (starting at age 17) was in radio and I keep up with it somewhat. I've told friends and family that I started as the youngest announcer in the St. Louis market and might need to go back to work part-time in the business as maybe the oldest announcer in some other market someday.

I wonder if WVLG will be hiring when I'm ready to move ... ?I agree 92.9 is good, but, "oldies" should include 40's and especially 50's music with a good dose of Doo-Opp mixed in.... thus my vote for WVLG.

JohnM
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Does WVLG have an internet site for listening like many radio stations do?

kyblue
06-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I love the radio channel - but - wish after 9 they would play some 70's and 80's music. Listening to the 50's music late at night is just not right. We have the baby boomers that may want to hear some later music. This does not mean that you have to be a specific age to go to bed early - just saying 70's and 80's would be great late.

rshoffer
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I love the radio channel - but - wish after 9 they would play some 70's and 80's music. Listening to the 50's music late at night is just not right. We have the baby boomers that may want to hear some later music. This does not mean that you have to be a specific age to go to bed early - just saying 70's and 80's would be great late.Ima boomer.... 59 yo, but, my mom had the radio on all the time so i was weaned on Johhn Mathis, Nat King Cole, The Platters etc.... There were songs my mom used to play that I hadn't heard for over 40 years... until, I moved to The Villages. I can't get enough of it.

SABRMnLgs
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
We've been here for awhile now and I found 720 in Hernando. Especially like Saturday mornings when the play "Big Band Jump" from 10-12PM. Two problems though, to many vocal, not enough instrumentals. And foget about picking the station up when the sun goes down.
Tried to get WVLG when we lived in Orlando but same thing, to many vocals and not enough instrumentals and the station disappears when the sun goes down. So even now I don't listen to it. Seems kind of patronizing though. No other station I know advertises open houses and the like like this one does.
Course the Hernando station has a funeral home for an advertiser. Kinda the same thing I guess. But Hernando at least doesn't baby talk their listeners.
Ever see that Rob Newton guy on the TV station on the weeks ends. Makes you want to barf. He acts and sounds like he's talking to a bunch of
children instead of adults. And forget any real news. It's bingo or bocce ball or spinning wheel club meets on so and so days. What an absoulte bore.
Course as RB states, "That's only MY opinion".

bebemary
06-16-2009, 05:30 AM
The station along with the TV are owned and controlled by the developer. Puppets on a string. Nuff said?

zcaveman
06-16-2009, 09:54 AM
The station along with the TV are owned and controlled by the developer. Puppets on a string. Nuff said?

I am not quite sure why that matters. You get the golf closings and some local info that is pertinent to the Villages. Information we need as Villagers to keep up our lifestyle!!

Plus - channel 99 - the Villages weather is tuned into WVLG so you can get the weather and Villages news at the same time.

Z

Indy-Guy
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM

I for one have no problem with the developer owning the radio station. I feel that the developer gave us an option to purchase in what I feel is a special community. The developer did a great job in building it and they have come to enjoy it and I do. Including his radio station.

Bogie Shooter
06-16-2009, 02:29 PM
. What an absoulte bore.
Course as RB states, "That's only MY opinion".
So change the station!

Number 6
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I listen but think there is a real lack of 60s rock and roll. This station plays more Michael Buble than the Beatles, Byrds, Spoonful and Stones combined. Don't hold your breath for a Beatles Brunch.
Again, that is just my opinion. I have CDs in the car.

NJblue
06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
What I miss most is a classical station (at least I have not yet found one). I do get DirecTV so they have the classical stations on XM for home listening. I'm not sure what the solution is to satisfy the wide range of people's musical interests. WVLG tries to be almost everything for everybody, but at times I'm not always in the mood to jump from Johnny Mathis to The Rolling Stones to The Platters. I often wonder if I were selected to be Villager of the Day and I told them my favorite song was the Triumphal March from Aida if they would play it on the air.

cybrgeezer
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
See how your FM signal is for either WUFT, 89.1, at the University of Florida in Gainesville or its translator/repeater, WJUF, 90.1, in Inverness. It's the same programming.

At night, at least until 11, I believe, it's classical. Mix of classical and NPR during the day and jazz overnight.

Number 6
06-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I often wonder if I were selected to be Villager of the Day and I told them my favorite song was the Triumphal March from Aida if they would play it on the air.
Yes, but it would be the Barry Manilow cover version. I think it is from his, "Barry Swings the Classics" CD.

NJblue
06-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, but it would be the Barry Manilow cover version. I think it is from his, "Barry Swings the Classics" CD.

good one!

eddie888
02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Love WVLG and most of the personalities.The morning show with George needs some work or a new personality.George needs to quit talking so much about being cheap and getting the best deals.Tired of hearing that.

graciegirl
02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Love WVLG and most of the personalities.The morning show with George needs some work or a new personality.George needs to quit talking so much about being cheap and getting the best deals.I am from the same neck of the woods in PA as George and he has that PA mentality.

Welcome to the Forum. You are new to us...and we are glad you are here. You will see many opinions here and some will agree with yours and some won't. I haven't been listening to George. But if that is what he is touting, so do a lot of fine folks from Ohio. I love to get the best deals too.

Where do you live in TV and what do you like the best about this place?

Gracie. Some call me cheap.

HawkeyeBarb
02-29-2012, 07:29 AM
When we are visiting TV I thoroughly enjoy the radio station. When I hear it, I know where I am!! Our sense of hearing is not unlike that of our other senses...especially (to me) our sense of smell. I smell something and it immediately brings memories of where ever I had smelled that scent before...so I totally associate WLVG with a sense of happiness, contentment and I smile.

getdul981
02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
One of the coolest things I like about WVLG is you hear it while walking around the downtown area of Lake Sumter Landing. Is it at Spanish Springs also? To be honest, I don't remember hearing it there, but that doesn't mean anything.

OldDave
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Look forward to hearing it if we move next year. Hey, after 40+ years in radio, maybe I can get a part time job!

hawkeye66
03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Why all the hatred for WVLG? It's a great local station that serves it's community. So what if it's owned by the developer?? What difference does that make?? They play good music, keep people updated, and serve us all well.
Why would you use any other station when in The Villages? or do you just need something to complain about?

Graytop
03-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Why all the hatred for WVLG? It's a great local station that serves it's community. So what if it's owned by the developer?? What difference does that make?? They play good music, keep people updated, and serve us all well.
Why would you use any other station when in The Villages? or do you just need something to complain about?

What planet are you posting from? :loco:....I see no complaints here about WVLG.

Graytop
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
What planet are you posting from? :loco:....I see no complaints here about WVLG.

My bad,...I do see a little complaint in there....

eddie888
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Welcome to the Forum. You are new to us...and we are glad you are here. You will see many opinions here and some will agree with yours and some won't. I haven't been listening to George. But if that is what he is touting, so do a lot of fine folks from Ohio. I love to get the best deals too.

Where do you live in TV and what do you like the best about this place?

Gracie. Some call me cheap.

You are retired.You can be a little thrifty ,but not cheap.Hope you leave at least 20% to the wait staff.Please be thrifty not cheap.

brostholder
03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I love the mix of different eras that they play. I am often surprised by them playing some obscure but good stuff that I would never expect to hear on an AM station. I can even forgive them for playing the "short" version of Inna gadda da vida the other week. But I still miss listening to Allison Steele, The Nightbird, on WNEW in New York.

eddie888
04-28-2012, 10:29 AM
What happened to George on the morning program.One day here next day gone.Very HUSH HUSH-What happened.

mmac321
04-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I like WVLG but when I tire of that I go to WMMO 98.9 from Orlando. Sometimes it doesn't come in so well in the car but in the house is fine.

happy employee
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Why always a conspiracy theory? George retired and moved with his beautiful bride to a warmer part of Florida. Loyal listeners will remember he was always complaining he was cold. Personally i miss his dry sense of humor

mikeandnancy1112
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
LelandJane,

Mine too!