PDA

View Full Version : The Smart Car

douglasfl
06-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Does anyone drive a Smart Car? I am interested in how it might be vs a golf cart. I know the vehicle is gas vs electric, but it is street legal also.
Does anyone have an opinion?

Doug

Hawkwind
06-14-2009, 09:37 AM
But not multi-use path legal. I did pass one on the Florida pike and I was recorded 82 mph on the GPS to get around it.

SteveFromNY
06-14-2009, 09:55 AM
It's an automobile, not a golf cart.

Irish Rover
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
And it cost about $20M to $25M more than a golf cart.

JohnN
06-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I've read a lot about smart cars, I like 'em a lot, seen quite a few,

My opinion - pro - street legal, long distance travel possible

Con - only 38 mpg and that's using premium,

chuckster
06-14-2009, 03:45 PM
My toyota camry is good for 31 mpg highway, far more comfortable on long (2-3 day) road trips, can carry 5 peeps or lots of groceries and or any other necessities. Smart car a neat concept but imho not practical, too small for the price and too low mileage for an ultra small car.

BobKat1
06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree. There are a lot of alternatives to the Smart car that are much more practical without sacrificing safely, room and gas mileage.

Hancle704
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM
It's a great commuter car especially in an urban situation wher you can park 2 of them in the same space used by a full size auto. See lots of them in Europe. In TV, there are enough of them around for some folks who want to start a club. You cannot use them on golf courses. I wondered about their real economy considering they require premium gas, and only accomodate driver and a single passenger. I question the previous response that said they cost $20-25 thousand more than golf carts. I've seen a few golf carts in TV with $12-20 sticker price. IMHO there are some alternatives to the Smart Car that cost a great deal less, get almost the same gas mileage, carry 4, burn regular gas and have a trunk.

faithfulfrank
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
One of our closest friends owns a Smart Car, and there are a few in our neighborhood, both in NY and in The Plantation.

1) They do not cost $20-25k. The base model starts at $11,900. The most expensive one has an MSRP of $16,900.

2) although they do take premium gas, my friend gets more in the 50 mpg range.

That being said, I just bought a Prius.....I can seat 5 people, and a ton of stuff in the back, I have a ton of VERY COOL options, and get 50 mpg easy with regular gas. In my not so humble opinion, it is the smarter choice, but of course they are way different cars.....and neither is a golf cart.

Frank D.

GMONEY
06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
So info on Smart Cars:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/smart-fortwo-review/

Pay attention to this one:

http://theliberalmormon.blogspot.com/2009/02/my-next-car-smart-car-crash-test-at-70.html

JUREK
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
One of our closest friends owns a Smart Car, and there are a few in our neighborhood, both in NY and in The Plantation.

1) They do not cost $20-25k. The base model starts at $11,900. The most expensive one has an MSRP of $16,900.

2) although they do take premium gas, my friend gets more in the 50 mpg range.

That being said, I just bought a Prius.....I can seat 5 people, and a ton of stuff in the back, I have a ton of VERY COOL options, and get 50 mpg easy with regular gas. In my not so humble opinion, it is the smarter choice, but of course they are way different cars.....and neither is a golf cart.

Frank D.

Frank I'll bet you'll love the Prius. Wife owns a 2006 Scion Xb and gets close to 40mpg regularly. I've been a Toyota guy for years.
My best car for mileage was a 1993 Geo Metro with the 1 litre 3cyl engine.
I put on almost 400,000 miles and constantly got 50mpg. Now that's a Smart Car. Good luck on the Prius.
:agree::agree: