PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open some email attachments....

chocolata
06-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm not even sure under what circumstances the following occurs, as I can open some attachments. However, I often receive the alert --"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel.)"

I have Windows XP - use Outlook Express for email - what else do you need?

Someone mentioned to me that I need Microsoft Office which I never used and deleted completely. Would that have anything to do with it? Never will understand the workings of these dang things!!!

Thanks for any help.

Chocolata

zcaveman
06-14-2009, 12:54 PM
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel.)"

means that you do not have an app installed that recognizes the attachment type. I would need to know what the attachment type is/are in order to assist you. What is the name after the . - ie attachment.xxx what is xxx?

Z

chocolata
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi ZCaveman
Thanks for coming to my rescue.
It appears that I'm having trouble with the .eml attachments. I went to my deleted file and checked the ones remaining, and they all had the .eml.
Thanks for any help you give.

Chocolata

KayakerNC
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
.eml files are E-Mail Files. The program to open them is Outlook Express.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312355

GMONEY
06-16-2009, 07:10 AM
It might be an email file. But if you received and email that had a file attached to it, it might need a program to open it you dont have installed on your computer. You will get that warning window when this happens..
It will give you the option to browse your computer for the program or ask if you want to search the net for one to use to open it.

zcaveman
06-16-2009, 09:46 AM
What is your email app? All email apps I know of should be able to open a .eml file. I get them from AOLers occasionally and have no problems.

wmchale
06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
eml is an e-mail file which outlook and outlook express can open. It is the attachment which is a diffrent extension. what is the extension that you are trying to open it is not an eml. it could be .xls(excel) .doc (Word) or something else. we need to know what that is to tell you what programn to use

chocolata
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Dear zcaveman, KayakerNC, GMONEY and wmchale ---
WHOAAAAAAA!!! Thanks so much for replying but you're all over my head on this thing - think of the little old lady from Pasadena (well, really Ohio) who seldom uses the laptop for anything other than email and games.

Here are examples of the entire content of the Open or Cancel Email Attachment notice: (Boy, please don't hold me responsible for what these are about because I never did find out - LOL)

FWD_Grandma still drives.eml
Type: Thunderbird Document

FWD_Untimely deaths.....eml

FWD_(no subject).eml

Does this clear anything up? Thanks in advance, again.

Chocolata

chocolata
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Ooooops! Forgot to mention that I do use Outlook Express for all of my email. Chocolata

wmchale
06-17-2009, 06:54 AM
To make .eml files and attachments open in Windows Mail:

•Open the Start menu.
•Type "default programs" (not including the quotation marks) in the Start Search field.
•Click Default Programs.
•Follow the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link.
•Highlight .eml in the list.
•Click Change program....
•Select Windows Mail.
•If Windows Mail is not in the Recommended Programs list, click Browse, type "winmail.exe" under File name: and click Open.
•Click OK.
•Click Close.

wmchale
06-17-2009, 06:55 AM
As an alternative:

•Select Tools | Options... from the menu in Windows Mail.
•Make sure you're on the General tab.
•Click Make Default under This application is NOT the default Mail handler.
•Note that selecting this will also make Windows Mail your default program for composing emails, for example. Do use the method above if you solely want to associate .eml files with Windows Mail.
Associate .EML Files and Attachments with Outlook Express
To make sure .eml files and attachments open in Outlook Express:

•Select Run... from the Start menu.
•Type "msimn /reg" under Open.
•Click OK.

chocolata
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Again, wmchase, I thank you for the info. However, it is not working for me as I'm not coming up with the "associate a file type......" - nor .eml for highlighting - nor change program to Windows Mail. There is no list that I can find for recommended programs.

I'll give it a rest for awhile and maybe something will "click" for me and I'll finally be able to figure it out.

You were good to respond.

Chocolata

chocolata
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
wmchale -- so sorry about the "wmchase"

Just found your "Or this..." solution. Will get back to you after I try this one

Chocolata (feeling really learning-challenged right now)

chocolata
06-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, it appears Windows Mail is only for Vista. I have XP.
Still going to walk away from this for awhile. Guess I'll get it figured out some day. Thanks to all of you.
Chocolata