PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart & Bikers people think they own the streets

rosie 136
01-16-2017, 03:27 PM
I cannot believe what I see with golf carts, a lot don't stay in their lane, NEVER use signals and just keep driving into the car lanes, there are people that don't realize where the carts merge and MERG doesn't mean to cut off cars. I would love to know how many cart drivers don't have a license, if for what-ever reason they don.t then they should not be in carts. As far as bikers, they should not be allowed on the street when they have their own lane. Cars have theirs and carts and bikes have theirs. just saying and my opinion: :rant-rave::

Polar Bear
01-16-2017, 04:39 PM
...As far as bikers, they should not be allowed on the street when they have their own lane...
The law is not on your side.

rubicon
01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Over crowding does it every time and we are still in January

redwitch
01-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Rosie, I'm afraid that the law is definitely not on your side -- not for bikes, not for unlicensed golf cart drivers. Sadly, some people are absolutely clueless about how to merge. Doubt they know how to merge in a car, either. As to staying in the golf cart lane, that is not always possible. There are frequently obstacles that must be avoided, left turns that must be made. There are very specific laws for bicycles, but suffice it to say they should obey all traffic laws, which, if course they do not. Ditto golf carts sharing the road with cars. But, then, there is also the fact that some car drivers can't seem to understand that the car is supposed to stay between the solid, yellow double lines on the left and the solid, white line on the right. I can't tell you how often I have had to slam on my brakes because a car can't stay in its lane (and they don't believe in signals, full stops or sharing the road, either).

vinricci
01-17-2017, 08:05 AM
Bikers complain that multimode paths are too dangerous because of golf carts, but as for me I'd much rather get hit with a cart than a car or truck whose driver just happens to glance away for a second.

Bay Kid
01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Be careful out there. Enjoy

asianthree
01-17-2017, 08:52 AM
We watch hundreds of cars try to beat the golf cart before the merge making carts waiting for kind soul to let them in, all while sitting on our lanai eating breakfast. Take care be kind to all, they might be the person sitting next to you next Sunday.

fred53
01-17-2017, 09:14 AM
We watch hundreds of cars try to beat the golf cart before the merge making carts waiting for kind soul to let them in, all while sitting on our lanai eating breakfast. Take care be kind to all, they might be the person sitting next to you next Sunday.

we don't need. If people would just obey the traffic laws there would be a lot fewer problems. There is a merge sign so that traffic will flow with the least stoppages. When a car stops to let a cart in the vehicles behind that car have to stop. This slows traffic. Many a time I have waited for the "kind soul" who let someone make a turn(or merge)and thus held up many vehicles waiting to go straight.

In the mind of someone who thinks their are being kind they ignore the fact that they've just made 10 other people wait. Just follow the law! Unless the stopping of your car/cart will happen anyway due to traffic ahead of you then keep on riding. That "poor soul" who has to wait to enter is obeying the law....you are NOT. You make driving any wheeled conveyance MORE dangerous.

Boudicca
01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Sigh. We see all these behaviors and threads every year. Relax. This too shall pass. We are retired, life should be good

justjim
01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
In an accident, A golf cart is no match for a car, A bicycle is no match for a car, a walker or runner is no match for a car. That said, those driving a car have the most responsibility to avoid an accident IMHO. The operative word here is "most". Everybody has responsibility. I feel that way when I'm driving my car because the last thing I want to do is seriously injure or kill somebody with my 4,000 lb. vehicle.

I've lost the exact count but there have been 9 or 10 fatalities in The Villages where a golf cart and a car have been in a fatal accident. We don't need more. Enjoy---- but be careful out there.

skip0358
01-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Yesterday to the guy who was in such a hurry to get to the bridge over Sumter Lake passing people on the path forcing carts to slam on their brakes and go off the path into the grass leave earlier or take your car. Also to the guy in his car that was behind me in his pickup driving half in the golf cart lane on Canal yesterday don't blow the horn at me I belong there not you. Gees !

JerryLBell
01-17-2017, 01:35 PM
The wife and I are moving to our house in TV next month and the golf cart we ordered should be done getting customized by then. I understand there is (or perhaps was) a safety class to take on the proper driving of golf carts. How often is that offered and where? Or was it affected by the shutdown of the learning center? We want to learn to do things right there as we plan on enjoying life in the Bubble for as long as we can possibly manage!

outdoorluver
01-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Part of the complaints about cyclists are simply that the community doesn't know the laws. I hear all the time that the biker took up most of the lane. That's correct. the bike should have 4 feet from the curb to ride in. Cars think we should be riding along the curb. Not so - red your Florida Driving annual again folks. Not saying all bikers out there are following the laws. But I know my club takes them VERY seriously. but we have been cut off by cars numerous times.

asianthree
01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
we don't need. If people would just obey the traffic laws there would be a lot fewer problems. There is a merge sign so that traffic will flow with the least stoppages. When a car stops to let a cart in the vehicles behind that car have to stop. This slows traffic. Many a time I have waited for the "kind soul" who let someone make a turn(or merge)and thus held up many vehicles waiting to go straight.

In the mind of someone who thinks their are being kind they ignore the fact that they've just made 10 other people wait. Just follow the law! Unless the stopping of your car/cart will happen anyway due to traffic ahead of you then keep on riding. That "poor soul" who has to wait to enter is obeying the law....you are NOT. You make driving any wheeled conveyance MORE dangerous.
You missed the point. No where did I say the cars STOPPED to let them in. Its the cars that speed up to make sure no cart can merge even though the cart has plenty of time to merge. It's interesting to watch as the cars, trucks and even UPS speed up and cross into the oncoming lane swerving to miss the cart, just to make sure the cart will not be in front of them. The cars do not stop to let carts in.

I am talking about the kind SOUL who actually allow them to merge with out running them over.

So your comment That you are NOT obeying the law, and MORE dangerous is a little over the top, TRY Reading My Post As Written. Only your post stated cars STOPPING......Since I am the one watching from my backyard, it not a here say it's a fact that can be watched at anytime of the day. And on occasion get to call 911 to report the accident that closes the road for few hours.