PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha QuieTech

MorTech
01-19-2017, 10:20 AM
Hmmm. Perhaps you can put a QuieTech muffler on a non-QuieTech cart(?) Thoughts?

QuieTech Muffler:
Parts & Accessories Can-Am, Spyder, Yamaha & Honda | ATV, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, UTV Part Accessory (http://shop.oemparts-junction.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=9066803&category=Golf%20Carts&make=YAMAHA&year=2017&fveh=308513)

Non-QuieTech:
Parts & Accessories Can-Am, Spyder, Yamaha & Honda | ATV, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, UTV Part Accessory (http://shop.oemparts-junction.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8648192&category=Golf%20Carts&make=YAMAHA&year=2016&fveh=299199)

villagetinker
01-19-2017, 12:30 PM
I am very mechanically inclined, but the references you attached did not provide enough info to answer your question. Ideally, you would need to get the physical dimensions of the existing and the proposed mufflers, including the mounting bolt pattern and gasket(?). With this info, you could determine of these are the same size (probably not), and take some measurements to see if there would be any clearance problems.

The other concern maybe with differences in the rate of flow through the proposed muffler. In general, the quitter the muffler, the low the flow rate, and the higher the back pressure. The higher back pressure could cause engine problems.

IMHO, I would call the manufacturer of your cart and ask them the question. If you have a cart that is under warranty, this will probably void the warranty. This is an interesting idea. One other thought, you could try searching Google to see if anyone else has attempted this, and see if they have any advice. I have in the past stumbled on to sites that had products for customizing golf carts, which would probably be a good source of information.
Good luck with your project, hope this helps.

MorTech
01-19-2017, 01:40 PM
The cylinder head part numbers are identical between the 2016 and 2017. Engine bay clearance might be an issue and the bottom mount brackets are a bit different.

tedquick
01-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Hmmm. Perhaps you can put a QuieTech muffler on a non-QuieTech cart(?) Thoughts?

QuieTech Muffler:
Parts & Accessories Can-Am, Spyder, Yamaha & Honda | ATV, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, UTV Part Accessory (http://shop.oemparts-junction.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=9066803&category=Golf%20Carts&make=YAMAHA&year=2017&fveh=308513)

Non-QuieTech:
Parts & Accessories Can-Am, Spyder, Yamaha & Honda | ATV, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, UTV Part Accessory (http://shop.oemparts-junction.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8648192&category=Golf%20Carts&make=YAMAHA&year=2016&fveh=299199)

I was told by a sales person at one of the Yamaha dealers that you cannot retrofit the older carts with the newer muffler design. That's not a for-sure answer, simply what I was told.

MorTech
01-19-2017, 04:46 PM
A Yamaha dealer will say anything...To sell you a new cart.
I wouldn't even bother asking a Yamaha dealer :)

I suspect the new quiet muffler will bolt up to the engine in older carts...But not certain.

I own a Yamaha AC electric cart. The noise level in the QuieTech cart is no longer a deal-breaker but I still prefer the smooth and precise throttle response and instant power of the AC motor. I also like that I know I have 60 miles of range every time I leave the house. I don't remember the last time I looked at the fuel gauge.

KennyP
01-19-2017, 09:31 PM
There is a lot more to how they quieted that engine noise down. The muffler is just one small part. They enclosed that motor on the sides, on the bottom, the air pick up is now in the front of the car.
There may be an engine issue come the summer months. They will be holding in a lot of heat in the engine compartment, kinda like club car did with the precedent model. Time will tell.
Just changing the muffler may not give you the results you desire.

MorTech
01-19-2017, 10:00 PM
The muffler - By Far - is the biggest part of the noise reduction.
They even made the factory bench seat thinner and lighter.

rubicon
01-20-2017, 06:22 AM
There is a lot more to how they quieted that engine noise down. The muffler is just one small part. They enclosed that motor on the sides, on the bottom, the air pick up is now in the front of the car.
There may be an engine issue come the summer months. They will be holding in a lot of heat in the engine compartment, kinda like club car did with the precedent model. Time will tell.
Just changing the muffler may not give you the results you desire.

I may be in error here but my precedent motor got so hot it would seize up and I had to wait a few minutes to let it cool down before I resumed my travels . the motor just ran hot and the larger the motor the more likely it will seize up. I changed out the motor to a smaller one , then lost horse power and sold it for a gas cart.