PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question - ? Buy Windows or Apple

BJinTX
06-29-2009, 07:27 AM
We have a Dell computer running Windows XP less that 5 years old. It keeps getting slower and slower. We have changed providers. We need to update our home computer and would like to buy a laptop for traveling. We travel to Clermont, FL alot.
After reading about Vista and Windows 7, I have a few questions. We had 7 years ago and had it taken off then due to all the problems. It sounds like it will be a hassle to update and there seems to be alot of questions if 7 is worth it. We need to back-up everything as it will not save, etc.
Do we update to Vista at home or wait for 7?
Do we buy a laptop with Vista as they will be giving a "free" upgrade to 7 or wait for a laptop with 7?
OR buy an Apple even tho we would not be using all the bells and whistles but it seems like it would run smoother.
Thank you in advance for all your help. BJ

Herb
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I noticed in the Sun that on July 20th at the learning college. A class on the merits of buying a mac will be addressed. If I can hold out that long I will be attending. Herb

midstatepc
06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Windows 7 runs much better than Vista ever did. I would say wait for the official release of Windows 7. There was a free offer to download and install a beta version a couple of months back. It will run until June of next year. Don't know if it's still available. But I've installed it on an older laptop and a newer desktop and have no complaints about it. As far as transferring everything over from XP, your software probably won't transfer over automatically, if it will work at all. some older software packages have problems, while others run fine. There is an easy transfer utility and cable available to help transfer over all of your software and files, I don't know the exact price, but expect to pay around $50 for it. as for getting a mac, sorry, can't help there. most of my experience is in the pc arena. Tigerdirect.com has an offer to get a pre order of windows 7 for up to 50% off when you purchase a qualifying desktop or laptop computer.

Since you travel a lot, I'd recommend a laptop for your next computer. Especially if you plan on spending a couple of days away from home and want to keep up on email, TOTV, etc... Also, you might be interested in using a data plan from your cellular provider. Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon have data plans available where you can use your cell phone as a wireless modem for your computer. It has helped me out a lot in the past and I continue to use it to this day. it's usually an additional $50 per month for the data plan.

Hawkwind
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Windows 7 is sweet. It is what Vista should have been. One of the problems with Vista when it first came out is that Microsoft wanted users to upgrade their older hardware such as printers and sound cards to newer versions and they did not create drivers for the old stuff. When users installed Vista they found out things did not work. Programmers had to change their programs around and in the business world companies did not want to do that. I know ours did not want to change.

Microsoft listened to the users and the business world and made 7 more like XP.

I work in the tech support department and a couple of our guys have been playing with the last two releases of Windows 7 on their lap tops and they love the program. They say it has the feel of XP but the speed of Vista. They have not been able to lock it up and they tell me that they can't wait for the final release.

Myself, I will be placing my pre release order for Windows 7 Pro this week.

I think I will get the beta of Office 2010 (aka Office 14) and load it on a test PC at work and see what it is like. There was a BIG jump in going from Office 2003 to 2007 so I don't know what else they can change.

Saying all that I would get a lap top with a good processor and as much memory as possible and go for Windows 7.

ijusluvit
06-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Do yourself a favor and put "apple/mac users" in the Search box. It's a very recent thread. The 20 some folks who say why they love Macs ought to convince you how much better their hardware, software and user support is.

TrudyM
06-30-2009, 01:34 AM
I have been looking at laptops also, trying to figure trade offs on cost versus speed. I was told to go for 7. I think I am going to go for the best processor I can get, as I want to be able to use HULU when I travel. I plan to use it as my only computer as the new laptops have great capabilities. I have never come across a new gadget that wouldn't interface (if I downloaded the right driver) with a microsoft system but I can't say that for mac. Had one a few years back, hated it. That said I am an excel junky and that may be why. Also companies all use microsoft so switching back and forth between one system at work and one at home was a pain. I had a hard drive crash in my old pc because my fan died and I didn't notice and it overheated. When I reloaded the thing (after replacing the fan) with xp and files from my backup flash drives that I had my never can do without stuff on, the little window poped up and said It detect hardware without drivers and it went off to the net and found what I needed. That was XP as I understand it 7 is the same. With stuff saved on a flash from a pc I can plug it in to a computer anywhere and have the files I need even if I didn't bring my laptop, when I travel the business centers in hotels etc. never have macs.

But that just my experience I'm not a computer expert by any means.

BJinTX
06-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks for everyone's help! Y'all make it sound like 7 will be alot easier than what I read on the web. And the download should not be as complicated.When you read on the web, it sounds like you need to be a computer expert to figure these things out. I will probably go for the laptop also.
We are still in South Texas - trying to get health insurance in Fl. and then we seriously look for a house in The Villlages. We have visited and like it. And have family in Clermont - less than 40 mins away. It was 102 here yesterday do the weather issue won't be a factor.
Thank you and have a great week! BJ

villages07
06-30-2009, 06:38 AM
A little bit of a hijack from the original thread, but....

Yes, a number of vendors are offering great pre-order pricing on Windows 7 (49 for home premium, 99 for pro).

My primary, fairly new, Dell computer has XP on it and a number of older version application software packages. It sounds like if you are upgrading an XP computer to Windows 7 (vs upgrading Vista to Win 7) that the Pro version of Win 7 is advised if you want all your old software to keep working.

Any of you folks who have used Win 7 have thoughts on home premium version vs pro for an XP upgrade?

BJinTX
06-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Great question - I never even thought of the different versions. I also would love to know what any one thinks. BJ

Hawkwind
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I will be going with Windows 7 Pro and it will allow for a remote connection as the Home version does not. This will be on my current PC that is running the 64 bit Vista Home addition. The remote connection will allow me to connect to my home PC as if I was sitting ion front of it from anywhere in the world through my HP Windows Home Server. All I need is an Internet connection.

GatorFan
06-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I just purchased the Dell Studio laptop. Love it. No problems at all.

Yoda
06-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Windows machines are cheap when compared to Apple. Technology changes very fast. $399 to replace a pc every 3 or 4 years is a lot better than a couple of grand for an apple.

IMHO

Yoda

faithfulfrank
07-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Windows machines are cheap when compared to Apple. Technology changes very fast. $399 to replace a pc every 3 or 4 years is a lot better than a couple of grand for an apple.

IMHO

Yoda

The Apple Mac mini is $599, the Macbook laptop is $999, the imac desktop is $1199, less with the discounts.....not $2000.

There is more to the cost of a computer then the initial cost. This post is being typed on an 8 year old imac that has never crashed, never gotten a virus, and can still run the latest Mac OS perfectly. And believe it or not, this model is currently selling on ebay for around the same price as I can buy a new entry level windows computer.....even after 8 years.

It has proven to be a very economical and owner satisfying purchase.
I'll buy quality over cost anyday.....

But I'm not here to argue. Thank God we have choices....I "switched" eight years ago and will never go back......

Frank D.

mitchbr47
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
The Apple Mac mini is $599, the Macbook laptop is $999, the imac desktop is $1199, less with the discounts.....not $2000.

There is more to the cost of a computer then the initial cost. This post is being typed on an 8 year old imac that has never crashed, never gotten a virus, and can still run the latest Mac OS perfectly. And believe it or not, this model is currently selling on ebay for around the same price as I can buy a new entry level windows computer.....even after 8 years.

But I'm not here to argue. Thank God we have choices....I "switched" eight years ago and will never go back......

Frank D.

Your prices pretty accurate for the Macs. I can get slightly better prices with a small business discount. You get what you pay for. Of course, these are entry level prices. A bit more memory is recommended. No one in this forum ever mentions that Intel based macs sold the last 3 or so years can also run Windows XP, Vista, or the current beta-Windows 7.

Those recent Microsoft TV commercials about pricing are misleading. The one that sticks out is the videographer. All video screens are not the same quality. She never mentions what she edits the video with. Is there another investment of $800 to get professional software such as Adobe Premiere to edit the video? Reality check- she is an actress doing a commercial. Just like I'm a Mac 'm a PC.

Lots of people look at just the price tag. The big factor is the long term cost of ownership. One must not only consider the hardware, but virus software and repair costs. My January 2003 17 inch Powerbook was an investment of over $2700. That is a lot of $$$. It has paid for itself over the years. Granted, most people in TV are in that situation. That comes out to less than $500 over 6+ years. With a logic board and dead pixel issue, a free replacement was shipped with no hassle I'll take that any day. Tech support is great. Do you really want to talk to Mike, an outsourced technician in Asia about your PC?

If you are happy with your experience with Windows keep using it. One of my children runs Windows 7 beta on his Mac and it runs pretty smoothly. He only uses it occasionally for work.If you are getting fed up with constant problems, lack of things working cohesively such as drivers for printers, confused about which or 5 or 6 flavors of Vista you should buy and all of the virus and spyware issues take another look.

Isn't it great to have buying choices and competition?

Yoda
07-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Frank D.

I guess I have never been interested enough in Apple to keep up with the prices. Sorry for the bad information. I have been working with personal computers since The first non hard drive models. I have never worked for a company that used Apples. I gusee I'm just too old to change now.

Yoda

starflyte1
07-01-2009, 05:31 PM
The support I get from the Apple Store employees, their web site and phone in help line is the reason I own an Apple.

faithfulfrank
07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Your prices pretty accurate for the Macs. I can get slightly better prices with a small business discount. You get what you pay for. Of course, these are entry level prices. A bit more memory is recommended. No one in this forum ever mentions that Intel based macs sold the last 3 or so years can also run Windows XP, Vista, or the current beta-Windows 7.

Those recent Microsoft TV commercials about pricing are misleading. The one that sticks out is the videographer. All video screens are not the same quality. She never mentions what she edits the video with. Is there another investment of $800 to get professional software such as Adobe Premiere to edit the video? Reality check- she is an actress doing a commercial. Just like I'm a Mac 'm a PC.

Lots of people look at just the price tag. The big factor is the long term cost of ownership. One must not only consider the hardware, but virus software and repair costs. My January 2003 17 inch Powerbook was an investment of over $2700. That is a lot of $$$. It has paid for itself over the years. Granted, most people in TV are in that situation. That comes out to less than $500 over 6+ years. With a logic board and dead pixel issue, a free replacement was shipped with no hassle I'll take that any day. Tech support is great. Do you really want to talk to Mike, an outsourced technician in Asia about your PC?

If you are happy with your experience with Windows keep using it. One of my children runs Windows 7 beta on his Mac and it runs pretty smoothly. He only uses it occasionally for work.If you are getting fed up with constant problems, lack of things working cohesively such as drivers for printers, confused about which or 5 or 6 flavors of Vista you should buy and all of the virus and spyware issues take another look.

Isn't it great to have buying choices and competition?

Good post. I agree.....I'm not out to change he world, and I too am glad we have choices. For me, I just got tired of putting up with "blue screens of death", having my computer telling me I preformed an "illegal action and must be shut down".......(like what the heck does THAT mean), etc, etc.

I like my Mac. It just works. Every day. Without flaw. Without viruses.
I like Applecare. I like talking to a real person (an American) anytime I want to for free.

Apple just came out with a new program called One on One. It costs only $99. and it gives you personal one hour lessons with an Apple Genius, one a week for a year at any apple store. That is 60 minutes with a Mac tutor every week for less than $2.00 a week. They will help you learn any program, project, anything you want to do on your Mac. You want to learn powerpoint, no problem. you want to learn how to do ebay, no problem. You want to learn how to make movies, set up a webpage, download pictures, do a spreadsheet...no problem.

Last time I checked Dell or Bill Gates was not offering that.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, you can run windows on an intel mac.....I just wouldn't want to myself.

Macs aren't for everyone. That's ok.....as long as I can have one. As Mitch wisely said......it's good we have choices and competition.

BTW, I'm thinking of upgrading my 12" powerbook for a new 13" MacbookPro. Free ipod touch, $100 off a printer, educational discount, the next OS coming out in Sept for only $9.95......but I'll miss my little 12" powerbook......

Frank D.

Yoda
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
The support I get from the Apple Store employees, their web site and phone in help line is the reason I own an Apple.

I rarely need the PC store employees The MS web site and never have to phone for help (well almost never) Perhaps that's why I own a PC?

Yoda

faithfulfrank
07-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I rarely need the PC store employees The MS web site and never have to phone for help (well almost never) Perhaps that's why I own a PC?

Yoda

You are very fortunate Yoda.....but then again you shared with us that you have been working with PC's since the non hard drive days.....that has been a number of years I believe and you have no doubt become quite proficient in the windows world.

I believe the average person is not so proficient with windows. Most of the folks I know send e-mail, surf the web, and perhaps put some pictures on their computer. They may download some songs and do a bit of word processing now and then, but not much more then that.

Many of the people I work with fall into the above category. They seem to have to replace their computers after only a few years, or many times take them in to the local shop because they get "slow", or get a virus or something. They experience crashes, etc.

I have not needed apple tech support hardly at all in my 8 years.....but it is nice to know it is there, and I do not have to spend hours on the phone talking to some foreign guy with a fake american name.

I wish I had the computer knowledge that you have gained over the years....I am far from an expert with computers.....I guess that is kind of a testimony for my Mac.....I have not had to learn much...I just use it.

I wish you well my friend.

To answer the original posters question....I suggest to any perspective computer buyer, go to a few stores.....visit the Apple store, Best Buy, etc and pick whatever the best fit is for you, weather it be a Windows PC or a Mac......

Frank D.

GMONEY
07-02-2009, 04:27 AM
This almost comes down to a matter of choice. We run Windows based computers at work due to most of our companies having them. I called our IT department and talked to them. These guys are very good at what they do and are certified thru Microsoft to work on their system. All of them told me depending on what you are using the system for would dictate what computer they would buy.
THey told me we use majority of windows based systems due to the fact the rest of the company has them, and do not need issues with document transfers and different warranties and dealing with different companies. But on their personal choice all of them have Apple for personal systems.
If you are using the system for just gaming, or for just emails, or for photo and music editing makes a difference.
My kids are into computers alot and have us researching the choice. We have always had Dell, just because of the name. But after going to the Apple Store at the Florida Mall and using the system, and seeing what the apps will do and what it comes with, I am impressed with the IMAC. The other great thing is my family all use IPOD and it is alot easier to connect and do things with the IPOD on the Apple.
I Think the Mac Book Pro is a little expensive, but if I was getting another laptop it would be that Pro 17". I guess you get what you pay for.

I remember when we got our laptop from Dell which is a XPS M-140 I think. I wanted the XPS Gaming system and it was way up there. The new Dell XPSM1730 starts at 2200.00 and the Apple MaBook Pro is at 2499.00 But it has the more features. So the prices is not a factore here.

I keep hearing people say but in a year or two it will be out dated and you have to upgrade. That is nonsense.. The average computer user will not even come close to using up what the average computer will do. I have a 100GB hard drive, operate a base Pent-4 system. Have the standard DVD burner and a 14" screen on my laptop. It does everything now that it did 4 years ago and really no need to get a new one. My system at work I am on now is 6.5 years old. It is a Pent-4 2.53 with 1gb Ram. Has a base DVD-CD Burner. Has a 100GB Hard Drive of which 70% is un-used. It runs our programs off of server that has 5 different drives in which our Apps are located and does just fine. But it has alot of life left. when buying a system look into how much you could up grade.

got a little to much info going there sorry. But will be buying a IMAC for the house based on research and comparisons and actually using the different systems. Apple has come along way for the good......

RVRoadie
07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I guess I have never been interested enough in Apple to keep up with the prices. Sorry for the bad information. I have been working with personal computers since The first non hard drive models. I have never worked for a company that used Apples. I gusee I'm just too old to change now.

Yoda

I got my first PC in 1980 and finally switched to a MacBook last year. It's never too late. Life is so much easier with the Mac, even though I still run WinXP under Fusion. There are still a couple of windows programs that I just can't part with.

Hawkwind
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=GMONEY;212332]
But on their personal choice all of them have Apple for personal systems.

I work in an IT support group for a major trucking company and of the eight regular techs and six contractors non has an Apple system for their personal system. Our communications / art group for the most part have Apples and they are on their own for support. Apples have always been great for graphics work.

I think it all comes down to personal choice.

Also I have to agree with you about being outdated in 2 years. I just upgraded a few months ago the a 64 bit Vista computer. My old system is a P-3 @ 800 MHz that is 2001 vintage. I have upgraded the hard drive storage over the years but that is about it. I still use it on a daily basis.

My company tries to refresh their lap tops every 3 years and this is not because they are outdated but because of hardware failure such as display and system boards. Costs more to fix than buying a new one. For desktop units they shoot for 4 years.

VandenbergLee
04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I worked with pcs, had a pc @ home, got a Mac and will never go back! It's fast, simple & has loads of perks (I don't know everything yet). The best part is no waiting for anti virus/malware to scan or update (constantly).I just love my Mac!!

Bill-n-Brillo
04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Resurrected a nearly 3 year old thread! :D But it does bring up a timely topic:

......The best part [of the Mac] is no waiting for anti virus/malware to scan or update (constantly).I just love my Mac!!

Not so fast there, Lee............ Virus Hits Apple Mac Computers: How To Protect Against Malware-2012-04-09 (http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/virus-hits-apple-mac-computers-how-to-protect-against-malware-2012-04-09) :22yikes:

:icon_wink:

Bill :)

thekeithfan
04-10-2012, 06:27 AM
After you have bought your Apple product you will soon be saying why didn't I go apple years ago!

leenie24
04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
After you have bought your Apple product you will soon be saying why didn't I go apple years ago!

Exactly my sentiments! Once I bought my first Apple product (Iphone) I became an ardent fan and user. I have graduated to the MacBook and Ipad2.
I am constantly amazed and thrilled by the beauty and ease of use of every one of my Apple products. :MOJE_whot:

lanabanana73
04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
I got all "Mac'd out" last fall after years of only using PC's......iPhone, iPad and a MacBook Air. I got the 13" MacBook Air and everyone who sees it says, "That is so light!!" and it is. It's the perfect size for home AND travel and this is what I like best.....iPhoto. iPhoto has face recognition and I have 13,000 photos on my computer. It's like "tagging" faces on Facebook and after you've done a few of your photos, you can have it find all the photos on the computer that it thinks are the same person and then say yes to those photos it got correct. THEN, and this is the important part for me, when you have a situation where you are looking for photos of a particular person (think "when they die"!), you can just go in to iPhoto and choose the folder of that person's name and EVERY photo you have of them will be in that folder. ALL in one place!!! Amazing.

Is there an Apple store in TV? Or close by? If so, take advantage of those classes and you'll be singing Apple's praises up and down, I feel certain. I do not have a store close to me, so can't do that and it's sad. Good luck to you in your quest!

villages07
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I bought an iPad 1 as my first Apple product and was enthralled with what it can do. Now have the new iPad and may well switch to an iMac when it's time to replace my desktop.

As an aside, I am now reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs.... What a fascinating history of the development of the Home computer and the evolution of Apple as a company. So many of their innovations were originated by Jobs or driven by him. A difficult but brilliant man. If you read the book, you will see the level of detail and perfection that goes into how Apple designs products. It was also interesting to read the parallel development of Microsoft products and Jobs off and on dealings with Bill Gates. I'm only up to the iPod period now...iPhone and iPad still to come.

uujudy
04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I have owned both PCs & Macs, and with me it all boils down to the software. It may be backwards, but I start with the software and then pick the computer. Can you get the software you need for the computer you want?
Backwards Judy

jblum315
04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I got all "Mac'd out" last fall after years of only using PC's......iPhone, iPad and a MacBook Air. I got the 13" MacBook Air and everyone who sees it says, "That is so light!!" and it is. It's the perfect size for home AND travel and this is what I like best.....iPhoto. iPhoto has face recognition and I have 13,000 photos on my computer. It's like "tagging" faces on Facebook and after you've done a few of your photos, you can have it find all the photos on the computer that it thinks are the same person and then say yes to those photos it got correct. THEN, and this is the important part for me, when you have a situation where you are looking for photos of a particular person (think "when they die"!), you can just go in to iPhoto and choose the folder of that person's name and EVERY photo you have of them will be in that folder. ALL in one place!!! Amazing.

Is there an Apple store in TV? Or close by? If so, take advantage of those classes and you'll be singing Apple's praises up and down, I feel certain. I do not have a store close to me, so can't do that and it's sad. Good luck to you in your quest!

You can do the same face recognition with Photoshop Elements

Golfer in Sanibel
04-10-2012, 02:45 PM
We have a Dell computer running Windows XP less that 5 years old. After reading about Vista and Windows 7, I have a few questions.

OR buy an Apple even tho we would not be using all the bells and whistles but it seems like it would run smoother.
Thank you in advance for all your help. BJ

Before getting a Dell and/or upgrading to Vista you should google "blue screen of death". We have two Dells with Vista and get blue death on both of them. If I were you, I'd hand onto your slug and upgrade directly to Windows 7. (Arguably the best OS ever from MS.) OR just get the Apple and be done with all the MS BS. You will be much happier in the long run.