PDA

View Full Version : Policy Change

jane032657
02-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Some of you may have read on another thread on the new 2017 Yamaha's, that while making a decision recently on buying a new golf cart, a 2017 EFI Yamaha, I did some investigating as I was being given different information by The Villages Golf Car Stores and Carts and Clubs in Ocala. While there were a few different areas I needed clarification on, one of the big ones was about how the cart is set. The Villages would only set them at 20 mph and Carts and Clubs sets them at 23 mph, the reason being it is a high performance clutch and the higher setting was said to be better for the cart. That does not mean you drive it faster, but it is set for better performance for the clutch.

Being not informed on this topic, I called Corporate Yamaha, where I was told it is better for the cart to be set at 23 because of the high performance clutch on the cart. So I decided to buy from Carts and Clubs for many reasons, but that being one of the main ones as they seemed better informed. I told Villages Golf Car store that was part of the reason I did not buy from them, as they had only negative things to say about that setting and the warranty for the golf cart. It does not, by the way, negate the warranty according to Yamaha.

After sending the email to the Villages Golf Car salesman, I got a call from the Manager of all of the Golf Car stores in The Villages wanting to know what Yamaha told me, and I informed him that Yamaha said the higher setting was better for the cart.

Well The Villages called Yamaha, and then Yamaha called me insisting on knowing who I talked to at Yamaha and what they said. I was told their staff should not have said that the cart runs better set at 23 and would not tell me if that was the right information.

I can only imagine this raised issues between Yamaha and The Villages, because The Villages is losing business to Ocala because of this being one of the major reasons.

Long story short, I have two friends moving here, a married couple, and they are buying two carts. I had told them about my conversations with The Villages, Carts and Clubs and Yamaha. So my friends inquired with The Villages Golf Car stores. Seems The Villages has now changed their policy and will be setting the carts at 23, Yamaha has told them it is the better setting.

That means that carts that are set at 23 should now be able to be serviced in The Villages if that is what the Villages carts are now being set at. They have been refusing to service carts set at over 20. Now they will be selling the new 2017's set at 23 so should service carts bought elsewhere with the same settings.

Check it out. Seems my trying to chase down the truth from Yamaha after being told something different locally has resulted in a major change in how the new golf carts are being sold in The Villages. Did not know that my inquisitiveness would cause such a raucous or change a major policy in the sale of carts. Competition really is good for our economy!

golf2140
02-11-2017, 09:52 PM
My cart from The Villages is set at " 20.6" but goes at 22 to 23. You will love the service from The Villages.

Millerw1946
02-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Good job. I wonder about the refurb's since I'll be buying one within the next 10 days.

Barefoot
02-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I've ordered a 2017 Yesteryear golf cart with quieTech technology.
It will be interesting to hear what The Villages Golf Cart Store has to say about speed settings.

blueash
02-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Just be aware that in driving a cart that is capable of going over 20 MPH, you are according to Florida law, driving a low speed vehicle and not a golf cart. It does not matter that you are never going to go above 20, the fact that it can go above 20 determines the classification. Be prepared to properly license this LSV or take your chances on law enforcement not catching you. It will be a big money making opportunity for the Sumter Co police to simply stop and ticket all 2017 Yamaha carts for being unlicensed LSVs.

RickeyD
02-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Just be aware that in driving a cart that is capable of going over 20 MPH, you are according to Florida law, driving a low speed vehicle and not a golf cart. It does not matter that you are never going to go above 20, the fact that it can go above 20 determines the classification. Be prepared to properly license this LSV or take your chances on law enforcement not catching you. It will be a big money making opportunity for the Sumter Co police to simply stop and ticket all 2017 Yamaha carts for being unlicensed LSVs.

You beat me to it, you are correct.

Polar Bear
02-12-2017, 12:30 AM
The vast majority of the carts on TV MMP's go over 20 mph. It's like a car being able to go 90 mph...who cares as long as driven speed is reasonable and driver is cautious.

RickeyD
02-12-2017, 12:37 AM
The vast majority of the carts on TV MMP's go over 20 mph. It's like a car being able to go 90 mph...who cares as long as driven speed is reasonable and driver is cautious.

Can't compare an automobile to a LSV. Any golf cart modified to exceed 20 mph is not a LSV and is subject to all statues required to put that vehicle in compliance. If not in compliance the operator can be subject to fines.

MikeV
02-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Last summer I had a high speed cooling fan installed in my cart at the Brownwood service center. They told me if my cart was set to 23 it would be set to 20. I protested and they gave me a waiver to sign releasing them from having to lower the speed. They will service carts set to over 20 with the waiver.

biker1
02-12-2017, 07:26 AM
You can't stop someone without a reason. Suspecting the cart can go over 20 mph is not a reason. You would need to be observed exceeding 20 mph on county roads. Also, Sumter County police cannot ticket you on the MMPs for speeding (or more precisely, operating an unlicensed LSV). DUI is another issue as they can arrest you in your driveway or anywhere else for that offense.

permanentvacation
02-12-2017, 07:38 AM
If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)

biker1
02-12-2017, 07:48 AM
This thread reappears periodically. Apparently people do get stopped for driving an unlicensed LSV on the roads but I suspect they are caught going closer to 30 mph than 20 mph. If someone on ToTV has been ticketed, it would be interesting to know how fast you were going. I believe there are a lot of people cruising along at 20-22 mph on the roads, perhaps a bit faster on the MMPs.

If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)

jimbo2012
02-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Friends of mine are moving here soon so I wanted to show them around.

They want a elect cart (I'll add my solar panel to it)

So I brought them to Brownwood & LSL Villages Golf Carts to look around

Both salesman were like robots telling them how bad elec is one said they will only go 30 miles at best. To which I corrected him, manger jump in and agreed they go about 45 at brownwood.

LSL salesman was same deal they must all be trained by the same folks.

they both said the 17's had better mufflers to cut down the carbon dioxide smell of the exhaust. Just as he said that they drove a new 17 into showroom, I asked if smelled the exhaust he said no, we all looked at each other in shock!!!

I said do you realize you said the muffler removes carbon dioxide, he said yes it does........I told him its for noise not the smell..........he had no reply.

Asked to have the batteries upgraded to higher amp Rangers, he was deer in the headlights, brought out the service manager, said they wouldn't fit.

I asked why not, said they were too tall, I know for a fact they are only 1.5 inches taller, showed him that and he was bit baffled, said they never used them because they have the same power.

Again I explained they had 35% more amps and added range.

He backed off a bit when he realized I was knowledgeable about this subject.

So my friends asked what it would cost to have the Rangers installed.

$1300 ???? where the credit for the ones that came with the cart.............what wise guys.

Good thing I didn't ask them about lithium batteries!

Anyway their prices were extremely high my friends will shop outside the bubble.

ColdNoMore
02-12-2017, 08:05 AM

As much as it hurts to say it..... :D

...yours is the most common sense comment in the thread. :thumbup:

fred53
02-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Friends of mine are moving here soon so I wanted to show them around.

They want a elect cart (I'll add my solar panel to it)

So I brought them to Brownwood & LSL Villages Golf Carts to look around

Both salesman were like robots telling them how bad elec is one said they will only go 30 miles at best. To which I corrected him, manger jump in and agreed they go about 45 at brownwood.

LSL salesman was same deal they must all be trained by the same folks.

they both said the 17's had better mufflers to cut down the carbon dioxide smell of the exhaust. Just as he said that they drove a new 17 into showroom, I asked if smelled the exhaust he said no, we all looked at each other in shock!!!

I said do you realize you said the muffler removes carbon dioxide, he said yes it does........I told him its for noise not the smell..........he had no reply.

Asked to have the batteries upgraded to higher amp Rangers, he was deer in the headlights, brought out the service manager, said they wouldn't fit.

I asked why not, said they were too tall, I know for a fact they are only 1.5 inches taller, showed him that and he was bit baffled, said they never used them because they have the same power.

Again I explained they had 35% more amps and added range.

He backed off a bit when he realized I was knowledgeable about this subject.

So my friends asked what it would cost to have the Rangers installed.

$1300 ???? where the credit for the ones that came with the cart.............what wise guys.

Good thing I didn't ask them about lithium batteries!

Anyway their prices were extremely high my friends will shop outside the bubble.

and what is the replacement cost??? My gas engine is over 13 years old and still runs great. The benefits of gas over electric are numerous...the benefits of battery are they are very quiet...and that's the only benefit. Oh and every single electric cart I've ridden in slows considerably on hills(perhaps the new ones do not, but the replacement cost of batteries every 4 years or so at +$350 or so is ridiculous in my opinion). As to solar cells...the technology as of today dictates you will never recoup the cost.

jimbo2012
02-12-2017, 08:44 AM
and what is the replacement cost??? My gas engine is over 13 years old and still runs great. The benefits of gas over electric are numerous...the benefits of battery are they are very quiet...and that's the only benefit. Oh and every single electric cart I've ridden in slows considerably on hills(perhaps the new ones do not, but the replacement cost of batteries every 4 years or so at +$350 or so is ridiculous in my opinion). As to solar cells...the technology as of today dictates you will never recoup the cost.

I don't want to debate the gas vs elec thing it's been done way too much herein.

but for you to say battery replacement is ridiculous isn't fair gas carts need servicing too. And if that engine needed to be replaced that isn't cheap

Going solar you do recoup the cost, so that's not correct.
It's not only about recouping costs. (global warming)

We can also talk about your carbon footprint but that a whole other story............again debated here before.

Enjoy your cart just stay far ahead or behind I don't want to hear that little lawnmower sound or inhale the carbon dioxide.

ajbrown
02-12-2017, 08:50 AM

I did not feel like 'Jimbo' was trying to start the age old war of gas vs electric. He was pointing out how the sales people seemed to not understand anything about electric carts.

That surprises me, since it is not rocket science.

PS. If you can get batteries for $350, please let me know where :wave:

jane032657
02-12-2017, 10:36 AM
Well the point of my thread was just that you can now get golf carts set at the same speed whether you buy in Ocala or The Villages, and we should be able to get our golf carts serviced at The Villages even if we bought them in Ocala because they will both be selling with the same speed setting. There will be no issue about having to lower the cart to get local service. That was my happy news. And I am pleased to have facilitated that change.

CWGUY
02-12-2017, 11:16 AM

:laugh: I agree.... but find talking about "getting a life" on this site VERY amusing!;)

graciegirl
02-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I absolutely agree with what you just posted.

AND... I like the way The Villages does business in all of their businesses. I miss the ones they sold to others. (Southern LifeStyles, The Veranda, etc). The Villages is an excellent example of a capitalistic venture benefiting them...and the people who live here. Thank you Morses.

permanentvacation
02-12-2017, 12:14 PM
:laugh: I agree.... but find talking about "getting a life" on this site VERY amusing!;)

Hahaha...what can I say. I can talk about golf carts all day.

:2excited:

wisbad1
02-12-2017, 12:23 PM
as far as price and service, you can't beat the crew at carts and clubs. they come to your house and do it all.Ted and his wife are the best to deal with. villages made me feel like I was at a car lot. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Polar Bear
02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
As much as it hurts to say it..... :D

...yours is the most common sense comment in the thread. :thumbup:
Hmmm. I may have to rethink my words.

JUST KIDDING!! :D

rubicon
02-12-2017, 03:10 PM
This thread got off topic . The OP intent was to explain that this controversy concerning mph settings was debated and apparently The Villages Golf stores discovered that their political application as to settings on golf carts coming to their shops was contested, at least as to gas carts.

The OP did not address mph as to electric carts.

Golf cart speed, in The Villages, has been a flashpoint issue for a long time. to my way of thinking it is really an non-issue, unless of course you have an owner who supersizes his cart to exceed 25mph or more.

The Villages has expanded to cover such a large area
that an increase in speed is needed to cover long distances. The Viilages boasts about the number golf courses made available and I desire to capitalize on them all .

Gas carts eliminate distance anxiety. With the population increases overcrowding on MMP's is a fact of life and if one were to do a study I'll make wager that golf carts are not averaging 17 mph on MMP's, probably less at times.

As to safety, inattention is the number 1 violation. The bete noir by residents who complain about fast carts are those same people who drag along at 15mph on the MMP, having an indepth conversation with their passenger, and take umbrage when a cart passes them .

I didn't die, I retired and I have many places to go and many people to meet.

JoMar
02-12-2017, 03:14 PM

Except there is very limited enforcement.....same on cars. No enforcement on the MMP's.

NoMoSno
02-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Don't forget to adjust the cables after a year. New ones stretch with use. You may be going 23 when new, down to 20.5 when broken in....:eek:

Carl in Tampa
02-12-2017, 11:30 PM
I continue to be amused by all of the jail house lawyers on TOTV who tell us what the police cannot do.

The simple fact is that if you have a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph sitting in your garage it is legally not a golf cart. That doesn't mean you will be raided and ticketed, but in Florida it is not a golf cart, and when you operate it you are not operating a golf cart.

If you get out and drive that motor vehicle which is not a golf cart without proper registration, license tag, insurance, etc. and get caught the penalties can be severe.

Is it likely that you will be caught? No. BUT if you are in a crash and there are personal injuries you might pay a great price.

What about the dealer who raises the speed your cart will run? All he did is set it up so you could register it as a Low Speed Vehicle. YOU will pay the price if caught.

"“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour." - Florida Statute 320.01, paragraph 22.

The issue is not how fast you drive it, but how fast it is capable of going.

:police:

RickeyD
02-12-2017, 11:34 PM
I went for a cruise on Morse this morning in my '63 and was amazed by the vehicle ahead doing 35 + for 3 miles or more. I tried to keep up but held to the speed limit. I lost sight of it at the Stillwater roundabout and didn't see it again. It was a Yamaha golf cart wearing a red triangle on it's rear . Must of had a larger engine installed judging by the way it accelerated out of the roundabouts leaving all the automobiles in it's dust.

Topspinmo
02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
No, just tampered with governor setting to raise the Rpm of the engine which increased top speed and torque. if you take the governor out the cart will eventually climb up to 35 MPH plus with bigger (taller) wheels (which also increases speed due to lower the gear ratio. Most of us are not that ? to do that or tamper with the 20MPH limit put on golf carts. It guess it was licensed and being used as LSV? It you held you speed limit to 35 MPH that's knida Rare, most cars when I'm out and about are going close to 40 or 40 plus.

I got passed by Par car on BV one day this summer I was going 38 and yes I was in the right hand lane.

villagetinker
02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I continue to be amused by all of the jail house lawyers on TOTV who tell us what the police cannot do.

The simple fact is that if you have a golf cart capable of exceeding 20 mph sitting in your garage it is legally not a golf cart. That doesn't mean you will be raided and ticketed, but in Florida it is not a golf cart, and when you operate it you are not operating a golf cart.

If you get out and drive that motor vehicle which is not a golf cart without proper registration, license tag, insurance, etc. and get caught the penalties can be severe.

Is it likely that you will be caught? No. BUT if you are in a crash and there are personal injuries you might pay a great price.

What about the dealer who raises the speed your cart will run? All he did is set it up so you could register it as a Low Speed Vehicle. YOU will pay the price if caught.

"“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour." - Florida Statute 320.01, paragraph 22.

The issue is not how fast you drive it, but how fast it is capable of going.

:police:

Very well said.:pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

John_W
02-20-2017, 05:22 PM

I wish the Sumter County Sheriffs thought that way, unfortunately they don't. It's a hot or cold item, sometimes you see them, and then they're not around anymore. I have to drive on Baileys Trail quite often and I knew where to look. Usually at the Cane Garden pump station just past the first green, there's a little driveway and they would sit in there with their radar gun. I haven't seen them in a year, but the POA newsletter use to report cart tickets and for a while they were giving about about 60 unregistered vehicle tickets to carts every quarter. Those are the tickets they give to a speeding golf cart, and it requires deep pockets and a trip to the Bushnell Courthouse to see the judge and you better bring a letter from an authorized dealer that your cart has been dialed back to 19.9 mph.

Here is an even bigger reason to get a life. For a good while the county sheriffs were giving out tickets to those who sit in their parked golf cart listening to the band at LSL and having a draft beer or open can in their cart. If your parked on a street parking space you're in their domain. You can put a yard chair on the pavement and sit and drink a beer right next to your cart and be totally legal. Sit in the cart and drink a beer, that's a ticket.

Another example of hot or cold, for a while a county motorcycle cop would sit across from Sterling Hgt Rec Center in the entrance to a CYV community. Then he disappeared for a few months, and then about 2 months ago I'm coming home and one of my neighbors is pulled over driving her SUV. Later she told me she was given a ticket for 38 in a 30 on St. Charles. I would say half the car drivers on St. Charles are doing 35, I guess 38 was a little too much.

permanentvacation
02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
I wish the Sumter County Sheriffs thought that way, unfortunately they don't. It's a hot or cold item, sometimes you see them, and then they're not around anymore. I have to drive on Baileys Trail quite often and I knew where to look. Usually at the Cane Garden pump station just past the first green, there's a little driveway and they would sit in there with their radar gun. I haven't seen them in a year, but the POA newsletter use to report cart tickets and for a while they were giving about about 60 unregistered vehicle tickets to carts every quarter. Those are the tickets they give to a speeding golf cart, and it requires deep pockets and a trip to the Bushnell Courthouse to see the judge and you better bring a letter from an authorized dealer that your cart has been dialed back to 19.9 mph.

Here is an even bigger reason to get a life. For a good while the county sheriffs were giving out tickets to those who sit in their parked golf cart listening to the band at LSL and having a draft beer or open can in their cart. If your parked on a street parking space you're in their domain. You can put a yard chair on the pavement and sit and drink a beer right next to your cart and be totally legal. Sit in the cart and drink a beer, that's a ticket.

Another example of hot or cold, for a while a county motorcycle cop would sit across from Sterling Hgt Rec Center in the entrance to a CYV community. Then he disappeared for a few months, and then about 2 months ago I'm coming home and one of my neighbors is pulled over driving her SUV. Later she told me she was given a ticket for 38 in a 30 on St. Charles. I would say half the car drivers on St. Charles are doing 35, I guess 38 was a little too much.

Very well said. In defense of fellow men and women of the law, often a police activity is the direct result of complaints by fellow Villagers. Examples: someone complains about speeding golf carts on X path or people drinking near LSL. Police Chiefs or Sheriffs cannot simply ignore complaints and must react to complaints of violations. The result will be cops in the area conducting enforcement action to curb violations. That would explain the sporadic enforcement around TV. I would gather most cops would rather leave TV alone. It's a catch 22.

Barefoot
02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
In defense of fellow men and women of the law, often a police activity is the direct result of complaints by fellow Villagers.
Support the Blue. :ho:

graciegirl
02-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Support the Blue. :ho:

AMEN!:agree:

Fraugoofy
02-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Last summer I had a high speed cooling fan installed in my cart at the Brownwood service center. They told me if my cart was set to 23 it would be set to 20. I protested and they gave me a waiver to sign releasing them from having to lower the speed. They will service carts set to over 20 with the waiver.
Yes we had the same experience...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

John_W
02-21-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm 100% behind the police, that's the main reason I dialed my cart back to under 20mph.