PDA

View Full Version : Securing linksys wireless

kyblue
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Can someone tell me how to password protect my linksys. I notice that most users have password protection - and would like to know if anyone has a linksys and can give me instructions.

Thanks,

nkrifats
07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www-in.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C1&childpagename=IN%2FLayout&cid=1166859677881&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7788168703H12

Try this link and follow the prompts and you should be able to select your product and get the instructions.

Good luck

l2ridehd
07-10-2009, 05:46 AM
I have these in both homes and it was a challenge both times to get them set up with a secure key. I ended up on the phone for over an hour each time with linksys support. For what ever reason following the directions would not work. Both times the support took me through screens and settings never shown on the directions. I consider myself somewhat computer savvy and this was a challenge. Not sure why the standard directions wouldn't work, but they didn't. However linksys support desk was really good both times. And yes, they were in India.

retiredguy
07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I have had Linksys for many years. It's actually very easy. However, setting up a WEP key is not clear in the instructions.

Just put your IP address into your web browser (where your www line is). Then you will get the Linksys setup page. You need not put in and ID, but the password is: admin

Once there, on the setup line above, click on Security. From there it is quite easy.

retiredguy
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Whoops, click on Wireless first. That's where your WEP incryption is.

Eve2278
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Can someone tell me how to password protect my linksys. I notice that most users have password protection - and would like to know if anyone has a linksys and can give me instructions.

Thanks,

Two houses.. one in Va. the other in The Villages.
The Best Buy in Va. set everything up for me right there when I bought the product in the store. They asked me what name I wanted to use and what password.
Took it home pluged it in...and it worked. I couldn't believe it. Best $50.00 I ever spent.
So we bought one down in The Villages at Best Buy but now Best Buy says they no longer have that service however they can come out to your house and do it. Don't know if its still a 50.00 charge or not..but we took ours back to Va. and they did it for us again in their store...

Good luck..