PDA

View Full Version : Best Beach within 2 Hours from TV

islandgal
07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Looking for the best beach within two hours of TV - Atlantic vs Gulf?
Daytona vs Clearwater based on threads I have seen here? Other suggestions?
Interested strictly in good beach - oceanfront for 3 or 4 day stay.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for this beach bum...
Thanks....

jdsl1998
07-18-2009, 06:13 AM
I have only been to Clearwater because our son lives in Tampa. It was beautiful. I am not used to that many people on the beach. I grew up and still love going to Gulf Shores, Alabama but that is too far away. Once we have been here for awhile, I plan on going to GS as it's closer now then when we lived in Ohio. Perhaps a Beachbum club is in order. I wish The Villages had a bus that went to the beach like they do to the airports, now that would be fun!

villages07
07-18-2009, 06:24 AM
We just did our first beach excursion a week ago.... 2 days, 1 night to Clearwater Beach (Sun-Mon); it is a beautiful beach, nice and wide in Clearwater. But, it was crowded and lots of kids this time of year. It was noticeably less busy on Monday than Sunday, so, I suspect these beaches get a lot of weekend day-trippers from Tampa and other locals. Also, if you wait until after Labor Day, it should be much less busy.

We drove about 20 miles of the barrier island south from Clearwater Beach to Pass-a-Grille.... there are a number of smaller beach towns along the way (Bellaire, Indian Rocks, Reddington, etc). They all looked like nice places to stay. The beach may not be as wide in some of these towns but they also shouldn't be as crowded as Clearwater. Depends on whether you are looking for quiet or a lot of entertainment, restaurants, and action.

It sure felt a lot more humid by the beach than here in the Bubble. Wet clothes never seemed to dry, even in the hotel room A/C. Also, we weren't used to being in a pool with so many people and not being able to see your toes through the murky water. It always feels good to come back home to TV....easy getting around by golf cart, nice breeze in the afternoon, and clean water in the pools, etc etc.

We'll probably try New Smyrna or Ormand Beach on the Atlantic Side this fall. Daytona may be a little too rough and tumble for us.

ssmith
07-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Our favorite beech is Siesta Key. It is south of Clearwater. The sand has been voted one of the best in the world. Where most sand is like sugar this sand is like powdered sugar.

You won't find too many waves unless a storm has just come through. Also it is not a good shelling beech. It is very shallow for some ways out and the water is crystal clear.

The town is very small and quant but if you need more action it is just a short ride to Clearwater.

kittylecroix
07-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach are very nice too. Lovely white sand. Lots of rentals there too, although have not tried them.

l2ridehd
12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
The Hilton at Coca Beach. Nice hotel, right on the sand, and you get to watch a shuttle launch close up and personal.

Freeda
12-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I love all of the beaches that have been mentioned, and we go to all of them; at least once or twice a month we are at a beach for one- to three-day trip. The answer to your question kind of depends on what you want to do there. The good thing is that you can't make a wrong choice, no matter what nearby beach you go to.

If you are going to stay at a hotel or resort on the beach, and just mainly want to lounge beach-front where you are staying, then any of the beach areas, both Atlantic and gulf side, have beautiful oceanfront hotels and resorts, and if you want the soft, white powdery sand you will want the gulf side, anywhere from Clearwater down to Siesta Key beach, which is near Sarasota. Anywhere south of Clearwater, though, will take you more than two hours to drive there. (Oh, but what a beautiful drive, if you go down Gulf Blvd).

We go to Daytona Beach more than anywhere else, particularly if we are just going for the day, for these reasons: we love to walk for hours on the beach (we usually don't sit or lie on the beach; we love to walk), and Daytona has interspersed along it (nice, clean) public restrooms, water parks and playgrounds for kids (including us big kids - since I don't like to get in the ocean much because - well ok I'll admit it - I fear sharks, it is nice to have these for cooling off), and hotels that have outdoor tiki bars, etc, where you can feel comfortable sitting at the bar in your bathing suit to have lunch or a drink; and then continue walking. Plus, we have stayed there enough that we know some of the hotels that have easily reachable restrooms, such as in their pool area, and don't seem to mind beachgoers using their facilities. The beach is flat and level for comfortable walking near the water; and it goes on for miles like this. The sand is not the white powdery sand, but it is not coarse; it is still soft and comfortable for walking. You can drive and park right on the beach, which is fun and is also a nice option if you are just going for the day and want to have a cooler, etc that you can go back and forth to, and yet keep your things secure; $5 per day to park on the beach, or $40 for an entire year. Daytona is only about a 90 minute drive from TV. It has a very laid back and fun boardwalk area where, again, you can feel comfortable dining or shopping, even with just a bathing suit on. I think that Daytona in many ways is most suited to the 'casual' tourist because of the availability of services easily accessible from the beach. But, it is usually not crowded. It is not rowdy, and it has some absolutely gorgeous upscale hotels and resorts, just as all of the beach areas do. (During Bike Week, it would be a little rowdy, but still fun). It is only about one hour from Orlando/Disney, so you could do that in the same trip. There is a fun comedy club in Daytona and other night life (or, also, in nearby Orlando) if you like that; (there is not a lot of that going on on the gulf side, that we have seen). Finally, one of the best things about a trip to Daytona is that if you are driving home near sundown (and we try to time it this way when we can) you will be treated to some spectacular color-changing sunsets (I never knew that the entire sky could actually look violet, coral, etc) - to entertain you all the way back to TV.

I know that others have previously posted about how nice New Smyrna beach is, which is a few miles south of Daytona, and, my guess, probably less than 2 hours from TV. We have visited there briefly only once, and it, too, is a beautiful beach. It seemed not as commercial there, if you are looking for that; not as many of the high-rise hotels and condos, etc that Daytona has.

The other beaches other than Daytona - all of which are beautiful and fabulous! - will take at least two hours to drive to from TV. (Clearwater is around two hours; the others, like St. Pete and Siesta Key, will take a little longer). When you get much past Clearwater, such as in Indian Rocks, Madeira Beach, etc, it is pretty much all highrise condos/resorts along the beach, and the beach is quite wide; there not really many places, like restaurants or shops, that you can easily stop in at or go into right from the beach, until you get down to the St. Pete area, which is several miles south of Clearwater. At St. Pete we, too, have stayed at and love Tradewinds; also the Dolphin, and several others.

Clearwater Beach, 'proper', does have some fun touristy area with restaurants, shops, etc, right on, or easily accessible from, the beach; it just to me doesn't seem to be a lengthy an area like that as you find at Daytona. Shepherds' at Clearwater, though, has great entertainment and food, etc.

wmchale
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Hampton Beaxh

Beachbums
12-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi,

Depends on what your looking for, we like playlinda and appolo both a near titisville,fl. but they are a clothing optional beaches... the best on is Haulover beach on a1a south of ft. lauderdale.

beachbums

GTTPF
08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
ditto SSmith. Siesta Key beach has the finest sand in the world. It feels like flour on your feet and is the home of many sand castle competitions. The beach is large, quaint shops etc. Great beach!

eweissenbach
08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
New Smyrna Beach is our favorite.

Bill-n-Brillo
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
New Smyrna Beach is our favorite.

Just don't get in the water!! :D SHARK!!!

We like getting a burger at The Breakers - sit inside and have a nice view of the beach.

Bill :)