PDA

View Full Version : Neat Idea for Litter Box

nanci2539
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
We've been villagers for almost a year now and live in a Lantana with an oversize lanai with bridcage. I dreaded the idea of litter boxes in the living area and looked on line for ideas. The litter houses that were usually made out of wood were very expensive.

So what I did was buy a deck box. My husband cut two openings at each end and I put an oversized litter box inside for my cats. The top opens for easy scooping and once a week, I take the litter box out, wash the box, add clean litter. Before I put back in, I vacumn out the scatterd litter and wipe the inside with vinager and water or alchohol and water (that's in a spray bottle - makes a good glass cleaner too!!!). It helps to out a small rug at each opening.

The deck box is weather resistent so even if it rains, it doesn't seep into the box.

Just thought I share - I've been using this for a year now and my cats use it and it's a cleaner and cheaper alternative to buying one of those cat houses. I also have a hooded litter box in the garage that my cats access though a pet door we had installed in the door going out to the garage.

They get to the lanai through a pet door that's on one of the sliders. No litter boxes in the house make me a happy camper!

uujudy
08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Nanci, what a good idea! :coolsmiley:
Is this the plastic kind of deck box? Where did you get it? How big is it? How did your husband cut holes in it? Did he use a regular jigsaw?
I want one!
PS: Will your kitty use the box on the lanai when it's thundering outside?

nanci2539
08-01-2009, 08:20 PM
It's made out of heavy duty plastic; purchased it at Linen's but you can get one at Bed Bath or any warehouse club - I paid $79 for mine - end of season sale. There are variious sizes for deck boxes from small to large. I have a large box.

My husband used a jig saw and it was easy - the openings are adequate but certainly not framed or precision cut!

I have a litter box in the garage that the cats access thru a pet door that I have in the door going out to the garage. I suspect they use this when it's stormy out because I always scoop this box even when it's not stormy! They do come running in from the lanai when it's thundering.

uujudy
08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the info! I'll keep on the lookout for one when I'm out shopping. It sounds like a scentsible answer to a smelly situation! :thumbup: I have the litterbox in the laundry room now, and it works fine -- until they use it.

graciegirl
08-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the info! I'll keep on the lookout for one when I'm out shopping. It sounds like a scentsible answer to a smelly situation! :thumbup: I have the litterbox in the laundry room now, and it works fine -- until they use it.

Ain't that just the truth Judy!:bowdown:

I don't know why it is different in the tropics, what with the air on and the temperature being the same, but the litter is MUCH more odoriforous in TV immediately upon use, than it is in Ohio.

Village Kid and mate have a wonderful solution with a pet door from laundry room and a closet built into garage.

Ooper
08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Our littler box is out on the lanai also. I cut a piece of wood wide enough to fit snugly in a window frame and high enough to hold a small cat door. Cut a hole in the wood for the cat door and screwed it on. Lifted the window, inserted the wood, and closed the window down on top of it. Have been using this for almost 10 years now. The litter is outside, and the cat can come and go whenever it wants to, day or night. Never have to get up to let the cat out or in. A vertical short stick cut to length holding the window down on top of the wood acts as a lock ( like a sliding door ) to maintain security.

uujudy
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Ain't that just the truth Judy!:bowdown:

I don't know why it is different in the tropics, what with the air on and the temperature being the same, but the litter is MUCH more odoriforous in TV immediately upon use, than it is in Ohio.

Village Kid and mate have a wonderful solution with a pet door from laundry room and a closet built into garage.

Yes, GG, the litter is WAAAY more odiforous here. I sure don't understand why. :shrug: