PDA

View Full Version : Julie and Julia

troubletog
08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
A group of us went to see this the other night and we all loved it! I had read the book first and enjoyed the movie much more than the book! A lot more Julia in the movie!

oatmealgirls
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I did not get far when reading the book, but went with a friend last night to see the movie and really enjoyed it! Lots of laughs. Be prepared to want to go to a French restaurant afterward though! LOL

Bon Appetit!

Boomer
08-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Hi troubletog,

I really liked this movie, too. I have not read the book, but a friend who did said the same thing you said about the movie being so much better.

But Nora Ephron wrote the screenplay and directed the movie, too. I really like Nora Ephron's writing. She has a great touch with dialogue. (I guess Julie, the woman with the blog, wrote the book. Not sure.)

I liked this movie so much, in fact, that it is one that I will probably watch again sometime. I don't do that too often. But this one, I will,

Boomer

conn8757
08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
can't wait to see it.

joannej
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Boomer, I saw the movie today with my husband. Julie did write the book. We loved the movie. At first my husband thought it was going to be a "chic Flick" but it turned out to be more than that. I did not know Julia Child's background and came out the movie more impressed with her than I've ever been!

katezbox
08-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I LOVED it. Went with a group of friends from (Bare - are you listening in exile?), Doggy Doo Run Run.

We are planning to make Julia's Beef Bourguignon (sp?) recipe. Hurry back....

jojo
08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I saw the movie with my husband when I was in Ohio last weekend. I would not classify it as a chick flick. He liked it and I loved it. I met Nora Ephron once at a conference. Kate, let me know how the beef bourginon turns out.

Whalen
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I made the Beef Bouginion many years ago, took all day and I think I used every pot I owned an the time. I remember lardons, what the hell are lardons?
Let me know how it turns out, then I'll tell you my secret.

I do the onion soup from Julia's book, yummy.:icon_hungry:

Boomer
08-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Fresh local tomatoes are finally here. I have been growing basil in a pot on my patio. And there is always olive oil in the kitchen. And I cannot stop thinking about that bruschetta she made. I must go on a search for the recipe. How hard could that one be? It is probably the only one I could pull off.

Boomer

Streetrodder
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I loved the cast members, but I must say the movie was boring at times. The funny parts were on television to get you hooked on going. I laughed a few times, (very few times) but I have to give it a thumbs down.

cologal
08-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I finally got to see it last night and couldn't stop laughing. The lobster sequence is a hoot.

Streep was Julia Child.....

Barefoot
08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I LOVED it. Went with a group of friends from (Bare - are you listening in exile?), Doggy Doo Run Run.
We are planning to make Julia's Beef Bourguignon (sp?) recipe. Hurry back....

I just now heard you Kate! I told you DDRR was a great place! Boyohboy do I miss it.

Hopefully you'll have all the recipes perfected by the time I return.

And I'm looking forward to seeing this movie with some girlfriends. I can't take Fireboy unless something gets blown up or the world ends.

Julie
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
My dh and I went to Juile and Julia this afternoon. It was definitely a clever movie with LOTS of cooking. At times I felt as if I were watching Julia herself and not Meryl Streep.

About mid-movie there was a malfunction and the screen went black. My husband and I were so hungry by that point we said if they don't get it started soon, let's just leave and go have lunch.:icon_hungry: Fortunately, it was only down for about 10 minutes.

Following the movie we went to lunch and pigged out. Yum. Yum.

rshoffer
08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
My wife drug me to this movie last night kicking and screaming....
I loved it... I'd see it again. Streep is phenomenal.

Taltarzac
08-19-2009, 11:18 AM
My wife drug me to this movie last night kicking and screaming....
I loved it... I'd see it again. Streep is phenomenal.

I have not seen this movie yet as I have had visions of gaggles of red hatters at this movie. I may have to break down and go see it soon. My taste in movies is more along the Hangover, Inglourious Basterds and Public Enemies than your typical chick flick.

Boomer
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I saw this movie the day it opened. I never go to see movies the day they open. But I did this time.

And I am beginning to think that I am in some seriously deep trouble.

I am still operating under the influence of Julie and Julia.

For instance, at this very moment,I am getting ready to fry a baguette in olive oil. Yes. I am going to fry a baguette.

As if such a wonderful creation needs frying. Seems a little like gilding the lily, but what do I know? If Julia says to fry that baguette before making the bruschetta, then by golly, I am frying that baguette, And then I am going to rub garlic all over it.

And I have in my possession some nice firm fresh tomatoes. They are not called grape tomatoes, like the recipe calls for. These are a little bigger, but they should chop just right. They might be a relative to grape tomatoes.

I asked the guy who grew these tomatoes what the tomato's name is. (You know how tomatoes all have names. If you don't, then you really should get yourself a Burpee catalog.)

Anyway, you are not going to believe what this tomato's name is. It is Juliet. That's right. Juliet! That's what the guy said.

So here I am with Julie and Julia and Juliet. How can I possibly go wrong with this bruschetta recipe? I guess I'll go find out now.

Here is the recipe in case you want to try it, too. I have always thought that bruschetta is a thing of beauty. All that red and green.

http://www.recipezaar.com/tomato-and-basil-bruschetta-julie-and-julia-style-386719

Boomer

starflyte1
08-24-2009, 07:12 PM
My husband and I went to see the movie. I loved it and he was a good sport and said he liked it, but he prefers lot of airplanes to lot of cooking.

Now, if I get some pearls like Julia had, will I be able to cook 1/10th as well? The show did make me want to try cooking more often.

Boomer
08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Part II:

My daughter, Boomette, called me while I was frying the baguette like I told you about in the previous post. Boomette and Mr. Boomette are really good cooks. Me? Not even close.

Anyway, although Boomette was quite impressed that I was trying a recipe from the movie, she informed me that the recipe is not Julia's but Julie's. It is in the part of the movie before Julie starts in on the long project, working her way through the cookbook.

Boomette said, "Mom, that was not Julia Child's recipe." (Maybe some of you know how only a daughter can say that word, Mah-ah-ahm, giving it at least three syllables.) She went on to inform me that Julia Child would not have been cooking Italian food, just French food. And she also told me that when she arrives home, she expects Julia Child's cookbook to be waiting for her, shipped from Amazon.

Wellllll, excuuuuuuuse me! (sigh) But I guess we all want our kids to do things better than we we do. Right? ....(Ohhhhh, Skillet, Skillet, on the stove, swear to me, I'm the best, by Jove.)

But actually, I did kind of wonder about why the recipe was Italian. Oh well.

Anyway, it worked out great. But it is a good thing I went to water aerobics today. Of course, now I smell like chlorine and garlic.

Boomer

PS: Actually, Boomette is much nicer than than I made her sound here. I am prone to hyperbole. And a little insecure about my cooking. And Starflyte, I just saw your post. I like that theory of yours about the pearls.

Taltarzac
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Even though I must admit that I liked the Saturday Night Live skit on Julia Child the most of all the parts of Julie and Julia. Dan Aykroyd looks like he is in his mid-twenties in this skit?

katezbox
09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Even though I must admit that I liked the Saturday Night Live skit on Julia Child the most of all the parts of Julie and Julia. Dan Aykroyd looks like he is in his mid-twenties in this skit?

I had forgotten how much I loved that clip....

bonnyej
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I loved the movie. Several of our friends had a dinner party. Each of us cooked one of Julia's recipes. We had a ball. And we wore our pearls.

PR1234
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
My husband and I just got back from this movie and have to say we BOTH loved it! We are not much in the foodie category so wasn't sure it would be something we would like. Along with the cooking, it is a great human interest story too. I would highly recommend it:):)

imbrennan
09-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi,

My husband and I went to see the movie the other day (he loves to cook too) and we really enjoyed it - especially the lobster scene.

It was interesting to see someone else's comments about the Beef Bourguignon because that was the only one I've cooked, and I have to agree it took ages. When I've made it before it always turned out too salty, so it was great to read her tip about boiling??? the bacon first to remove the salt.

I was really lucky because a couple of years ago I managed to buy two of Julia Child's "Mastering the art of French Cooking" - one with the red/white cover shown in the film and another which I think was blue/white.

The good thing about that was I bought them from the Library in The Villages (on the other side of the main road from Crispers) for $1 each!!!! What a bargain!

According to Google Lardons are a French term for small matchstick-cut pieces of bacon or larding fat cut from the belly of pork but I've just cut pieces of thick bacon and used them as I don't have belly pork.

Unfortunately we haven't found thick slices of bacon in the States - it's usually all thin slices that crisp up far too quickly. Having said that we may now get some in the UK food shop that is opening up at Market of Marion sometime in November (and she has an online website). I've checked out some of her prices and they are much cheaper than Publix and she also has a far greater selection of goods than Publix has.

I believe the lady who is opening this shop posted a thread on Talk of the Villages a while back but if it's of any help in her newsletter she gave her website address as: www.theukshoppe.com. The website is opening officially on the 27th October and she's offering free deliveries to zipcodes 32159 and 32162. You can email her on info@theukshoppe.com.

katezbox
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
The British Shoppe in Orlando is also a great spot for tea and treats from the UK. The owners previously lived in the northeast - but moved south for the weather.